Joe Douglas Jets rebuild could be far bigger than realized

i don't see where this article is saying anything new.  the jets have needed those same positions filled for the past 5 seasons.  the only difference is 5 seasons ago they also needed a qb.  and if joe douglas didn't realize the team's shortcomings when he was hired he shouldn't have taken the job.  about the only thing debatable is what position is taken with their first round pick.

12 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

This is not news.  This was predicted in July.  

Only Fake Fans predicted this. Will be same story next year when some of us (me included) predict no playoffs we will be insulted and vilified... until we are proven right and then it’s “well it was obvious all along.”

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2

Fans and media sway with the wind depending on whether the team wins or loses that week.  No team is ever far from the playoffs the way the league is set up.  A 1-15 team can make the playoffs the next year.  The hardest part was solved with Sam.  We have some good young OL, we need 2-3 new starters. Not an impossible task in one offseason.  We need corners but maybe not as desperately as we thought with the emergence of some young guys. We need more weapons for Sam.

The hardest part of the rebuild happened already, there's still a lot of work to do but the team would have been a playoff contender with decent health this year. The expectation should be playoffs in 2020.

• WTF? 1

29 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Fans and media sway with the wind depending on whether the team wins or loses that week.  No team is ever far from the playoffs the way the league is set up.  A 1-15 team can make the playoffs the next year.  The hardest part was solved with Sam.  We have some good young OL, we need 2-3 new starters. Not an impossible task in one offseason.  We need corners but maybe not as desperately as we thought with the emergence of some young guys. We need more weapons for Sam.

The hardest part of the rebuild happened already, there's still a lot of work to do but the team would have been a playoff contender with decent health this year. The expectation should be playoffs in 2020.

I agree we finally have a qb now we need a new roster and head coach

This is a 2 to 3 year project and anyone that doesnt think so is insane.  

Need, conservatively mind you, at minimum . 3 OL 1 OLB 1 DE 2 CB 2 WR.. 

Thats not even taking into account guys leaving or getting traded in that time span and having to replace them, and adding quality depth to a taem that has little. 

Thats easily 2-3 offseasons before this team has a chance to be a quality football team.  

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

We could sign a pass rusher and CB2 in free agency then address the OL in the draft as well as free agency.

We're going to have plenty of money to spend after a few obvious cuts and a solid set of draft picks. Remember that this team has been destroyed by injuries - just getting healthy is a huge step. If Douglas is who he's supposed to be then I don't think it's that big of a project.

6 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

We could sign a pass rusher and CB2 in free agency then address the OL in the draft as well as free agency.

We're going to have plenty of money to spend after a few obvious cuts and a solid set of draft picks. Remember that this team has been destroyed by injuries - just getting healthy is a huge step. If Douglas is who he's supposed to be then I don't think it's that big of a project.

Who will the cuts be? Can you name them. 

34 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

Elite or quality pass rushers don't come easily in free agency.  Even if there are any this offseason, they'll have better destinations to go to.  It would take a massive overpay to bring a top 10-15 EDGE guy here.  

At this time, the best EDGE rushers scheduled to be UFA's in 2020 are Jadeveon Clowney, Shaquil Barrett, Dante Fowler, Ziggy Ansah,  Robert Quinn, Derek Wolfe, Mario Addison, Michael Bennett, Bud Dupree, Bruce Irvin, Markus Golden and Whitney Mercilus.  Not an exciting list.  And only 5 of the above (Clowney, Barrett, Fowler, Dupree, Golden) are under 30.  

And we need a CB1, not a CB2.  We can't assume Blessuan Austin is a CB1 just yet.  

7 hours ago, Philc1 said:

No edge rushers going on 15 years, OL stinks, no #1 CB, WRs are mediocre at best

4 hours ago, Philc1 said:

I agree we finally have a qb now we need a new roster and head coach

I get you're not a Gase guy, and that's cool. But in the same thread you say. No edge rushers, the OL stinks, and no #1 CB and mediocre WRs

Then blame Gase for it. What other coach that the Jets could have hired would be doing that much better right now?

On 12/2/2019 at 3:32 PM, joewilly12 said:

Trash talk I met Robby at an autograph signing when I met Joe Namath last year, Robby had no one in line so me and my son walked up to him and started a conversation with him. I walked away, my son is 27 and he had a good conversation with him, my son played 4 years of WR high school football. I had a hard time understanding what he was saying. 

My son and I walked up to him

:-)