"Adam Gase was held back by the awful Ryan Tannehill"

7 hours ago, jbone said:

Establishing a lasting culture by getting rid of all the good players in Miami was especially impressive. Leader of men, agent of change. 

Hey, over the next 2 years we'll find out as Joe Douglas molds the roster. Beerfish & Warfish are in the Gase WILL FAIL corner & that he has no idea what's he said doing on offense. Sorry, I'm not swimming with the fishes. I see an inconsistent team that scored 34 points per game, 3 games in a row, scored on their 1st possession 5 straight games (you'd be hard pressed to find that streak even in 2009/2010, and we did it with a QB who is still raw as sushi, a terrible Oline & a weak group of WRs. 

Robbie Anderson dropped at TD pass (7), Thomas stopped a route that SHOULD have been a walkin TD (7), we had a hold in the endzone that contributed to 5 points & a loss of possession for our offense. Sorry, that's not the coaches fault. Neither are Berrios drop and eight more penalties on the Oline. We're up and down because the players are inconsistent. Thomas has been passed around like a read newspaper. Crowder seemed injured? Anderson seems to lose focus and Bell doesn't get a sliver of daylight, plus Sam is inconsistent himself and still learning an offense while running for his life on most snaps. There aren't many great coaches but you still need the players to execute. Tom Brady is pissed that his offense is sputtering. They have a better Oline, Edelman is better than any player we have and he has a stable of good RBs in White, Michel and Burkhead. 

You guys just expect too much from a weak roster.

21 hours ago, CTM said:

II tend to think we'd be seen as highly dysfunctional if in a 12 month period we can 1 coach, commit to the old GM, hire a new coach, can the old GM we just commit too and then fire the coach we just hired.  

Regardless of what happens with Gase, it's already well established that the Jets are highly dysfunctional from top to bottom.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

Hey, over the next 2 years we'll find out as Joe Douglas molds the roster. Beerfish & Warfish are in the Gase WILL FAIL corner & that he has no idea what's he said doing on offense. Sorry, I'm not swimming with the fishes. I see an inconsistent team that scored 34 points per game, 3 games in a row, scored on their 1st possession 5 straight games (you'd be hard pressed to find that streak even in 2009/2010, and we did it with a QB who is still raw as sushi, a terrible Oline & a weak group of WRs. 

Robbie Anderson dropped at TD pass (7), Thomas stopped a route that SHOULD have been a walkin TD (7), we had a hold in the endzone that contributed to 5 points & a loss of possession for our offense. Sorry, that's not the coaches fault. Neither are Berrios drop and eight more penalties on the Oline. We're up and down because the players are inconsistent. Thomas has been passed around like a read newspaper. Crowder seemed injured? Anderson seems to lose focus and Bell doesn't get a sliver of daylight, plus Sam is inconsistent himself and still learning an offense while running for his life on most snaps. There aren't many great coaches but you still need the players to execute. Tom Brady is pissed that his offense is sputtering. They have a better Oline, Edelman is better than any player we have and he has a stable of good RBs in White, Michel and Burkhead. 

Perhaps. On the flip side, some of you expect too much from a coach with a weak track record.

• Upvote 1

.....& Warfish are in the Gase WILL FAIL corner & that he has no idea what's he said doing on offense.

I don't generally take definitive all or nothing positions like the one above.

Do I believe Gase is going to succeed (i.e. a Super Bowl) here?  No, I don't.

Could he surprise me?  Of course he could.

But generally I believe he is what his resume says he is, a Coach who has to-date coached only one legitimately great offense, one run by a veteran Payton Manning.  I don't believe, as some do, that he made Cutler or Tannehill better, and I don;t think he's done well here so far.  I think he wahat his ranks say, a middling coach who has created mostly bottom 10 or bottom 5 offenses.

I see an inconsistent team that scored 34 points per game, 3 games in a row, scored on their 1st possession 5 straight games (you'd be hard pressed to find that streak even in 2009/2010, and we did it with a QB who is still raw as sushi, a terrible Oline & a weak group of WRs.

You simply cannot ignore the level of competition.  Two challengers for the #1 overall pick in the Skins and Giants, and a potentially collapsing Raiders team.  None of whom have great defenses.  The fact we subsequently dropped 6 on a low-tier Bengals defense says just as much.

Robbie Anderson dropped at TD pass (7), Thomas stopped a route that SHOULD have been a walkin TD (7), we had a hold in the endzone that contributed to 5 points & a loss of possession for our offense.

And the Bengals dropped 2-3 INT's, and themselves dropped two wide-open TD passes.

Sorry, that's not the coaches fault. Neither are Berrios drop and eight more penalties on the Oline.

Actually, coaching is generally identified as being at least in-part responsible for sloppy, penalty-ridden play.

And you guys accept being pathetic and amongst the worst teams in the NFL for over a decade far too easily.

I'm tired of excuses and whining.  I'm tired of 4 and 5 win seasons and being the leagues laughing stock.

If you tell me Gase will be 10-6 next year and Darnold will be a top 10 QB, great.  But then lets see it, lets not be whining and excuse making yet again next year.  5 year plans didn't work for the Communists, they don't work in the NFL either.  In the modern NFL, a turnaround should take exactly ONE offseason, especially if you have a franchise QB already in-place.  

So we'll see.

• Upvote 1

His best year was under Gase.  This Tannehill hysteria is reminiscent of early in 2018 when folks on here were claiming he was an MVP candidate.  Tennessee is winning because of Derrick Henry and great D/STs.  They literally won the game the other day when their STs blocked a FG and returned it for a TD.  This was after the D forced a TO and Ten started on the Ind 14 to kick the game tying FG.

You also must know Jay Ajayi's best season was under Gase, right?

Right. I get what the point is but come on already. Shooting from the half court line with this stuff is not helping.

I’m no Gase fan. Believe me but the False narratives are making things worse.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

On 12/3/2019 at 9:07 AM, nyjunc said:

2016 was his best season. He has never played up to his numbers but his best numbers came with Gase and his only winning season.  

Highest comp %

Highest rating

Best record

Some of the cumulative numbers weren't as good because he missed almost 4 games.

more attempts and completions most td  27 versus 12 interceptions higher completion percentage over 4k yards passed in 2014 under Phil bin so you can pick and choose but over all his best yr in Miami was 2014 on a personal level. the yrs in Miami where he had a higher completion percentage he dod not play the full yr. but still had 12 interceptions

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

Right. I get what the point is but come on already. Shooting from the half court line with this stuff is not helping.

in Miami he was the primary back in Philly he was platooning hence the lower numbers. People just pick and choose what they want

Just now, Philc1 said:

I hate Gase and want him fired now but Tannehill is essentially just game managing for Derrick Henry who the titans realized is a beast and needs 25-30 carries per game

I think ryan is playing in a system that he fits in and is asked not to do too much

• Upvote 1

On 12/3/2019 at 10:42 PM, Warfish said:

It's interesting that the only injury history Tannehill has in his career was under Gase.  He was rock solid before, and since, health wise.

Yeah, Gase must have tampered with Tanny's ACL two years in a row when Tanny wasn't looking.      
Then messed up his shoulder the following year.      

On 12/4/2019 at 12:00 PM, Philc1 said:

Fair enough.  Tannehill is not a good QB and never was he’s just more competent at this point than Marbust Mariota

Tannehill has a 113.9 QB rating in 6 starts this season. That's the best QB rating in the league for anyone who's thrown more than 100 passes. We'd be trying to get Darnold into the pro-bowl if he was playing so well.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

On 12/3/2019 at 8:52 AM, Barry McCockinner said:

The idea that firing a trash coach early hurts our chances at another coach is fake news that has never been backed up by facts.

The same crowd also likes to gloss over that Gase chose the replacements like he did here. What can Gase do with the 2nd and 3rd string QBs?! Ya know, the ones he actually chose.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Tannehill has a 113.9 QB rating in 6 starts this season. That's the best QB rating in the league for anyone who's thrown more than 100 passes. We'd be trying to get Darnold into the pro-bowl Canton if he was playing so well.

Fixed it for you.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/3/2019 at 8:50 AM, freestater said:

He's doing better than ever after getting away from Gase's genius. Much like Jay Ajayi did. Gase is so brilliant that he sets up his players to excel...as soon as they leave his dumb***kery behind. 

Gase is a total jackass. He has Le'Veon Bell - a guy he didn't want - so he doesn't utilize him. Sine when do you have to like a guy in order to take advantage of his skill set? Any HC that would rather let a guy rot on the vine because he didn't want him should be relieved of his duties but Woody and Chris Johnson don't have half a brain between the two of them.

• Upvote 3

On 12/4/2019 at 11:56 AM, rammagen said:

I think ryan is playing in a system that he fits in and is asked not to do too much

You’d think that would be a basic strategy for any coach , but no , it seems to be rocket science for some 

• Haha 1

On 12/3/2019 at 9:30 AM, Barry McCockinner said:

3i9qae.jpg

Mariota & Tannehill have both started 6 games

Tannehill: 72.7 completion percentage, 1602 yards, 12 TD/4 INT
Mariota: 59.1 completion percentage, 1179 yards, 7 TD/2 INT

Why do you think Henry has had so much more success since Tannehill came in?

You think it's because of tannehill? Then why didn't he have success the game tannehill replaced Mariota?

Tannehill is doing his job but, as usual, he's not as good as the numbers suggest.  You need to watch him play.

On 12/3/2019 at 9:31 AM, Warfish said:

By what metric?

Passing

Year Age Tm Pos No. G GS QBrec Cmp Att Cmp% Yds TD TD% Int Int% 1D Lng Y/A AY/A Y/C Y/G Rate QBR Sk Yds NY/A ANY/A Sk% 4QC GWD AV
Career       96 94 47-47-0 1957 3087 63.4 22036 135 4.4 79 2.6 1076 80 7.1 6.9 11.3 229.5 88.6   272 2063 5.95 5.69 8.1 17 16 61
6 yrs MIA     88 88 42-46-0 1829 2911 62.8 20434 123 4.2 75 2.6 1001 80 7.0 6.7 11.2 232.2 87.0   248 1885 5.87 5.58 7.9 15 13 61
1 yr TEN     8 6 5-1-0 128 176 72.7 1602 12 6.8 4 2.3 75 65 9.1 9.4 12.5 200.3 113.9   24 178 7.12 7.42 12.0 2 3  
2012 24 MIA QB 17 16 16 7-9-0 282 484 58.3 3294 12 2.5 13 2.7 151 80 6.8 6.1 11.7 205.9 76.1 48.4 35 234 5.90 5.23 6.7 1 1 10
2013 25 MIA QB 17 16 16 8-8-0 355 588 60.4 3913 24 4.1 17 2.9 204 67 6.7 6.2 11.0 244.6 81.7 49.3 58 399 5.44 5.00 9.0 4 3 10
2014 26 MIA QB 17 16 16 8-8-0 392 590 66.4 4045 27 4.6 12 2.0 225 50 6.9 6.9 10.3 252.8 92.8 59.3 46 337 5.83 5.83 7.2 2 1 14
2015 27 MIA QB 17 16 16 6-10-0 363 586 61.9 4208 24 4.1 12 2.0 195 54 7.2 7.1 11.6 263.0 88.7 46.3 45 420 6.00 5.91 7.1 2 2 11
2016 28 MIA QB 17 13 13 8-5-0 261 389 67.1 2995 19 4.9 12 3.1 134 74 7.7 7.3 11.5 230.4 93.5 49.4 29 216 6.65 6.27 6.9 3 3 10
2018 30 MIA QB 17 11 11 5-6-0 176 274 64.2 1979 17 6.2 9 3.3 92 75 7.2 7.0 11.2 179.9 92.7 31.0 35 279 5.50 5.29 11.3 3 3 6
2019 31 TEN QB 17 8 6 5-1-0 128 176 72.7 1602 12 6.8 4 2.3 75 65 9.1 9.4 12.5 200.3 113.9 54.5 24 178 7.12 7.42 12.0 2 3  

Best rating, best completion percentage, only yr with winning record.  Some of the cumulative numbers weren't as good because he missed almost 4 games.

On 12/4/2019 at 9:31 AM, GREENBEAN said:

My point isn't really to pump up Gase, it's more that I have seen this Ryan Tannehill movie before.  He's never played up to good numbers.  Remember at the beginning of 2018 people in the media and on this board were talking about Tannehill as an MVP candidate?  He literally did nothing for them but they were winning early and his numbers were decent.  He's doing the same thing now.

On 12/3/2019 at 10:53 PM, Warfish said:

Hardly, just O-line mismanagement and poor O-line scheming.  Something every Dolphins fan already knows.

The Jets entire Oline is a group of misfits constructed by one of the worst GMs to ever hold the position in Macc. It's a known FACT he ignored Oline to the detriment of the team & finally his career. 

15 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Tannehill has a 113.9 QB rating in 6 starts this season. That's the best QB rating in the league for anyone who's thrown more than 100 passes. We'd be trying to get Darnold into the pro-bowl if he was playing so well.

Amazing what a QB can do with a decent line in front of him (Taylor Lewan is one of the best LTs in the league, was suspended for the 1st 4 games), and the Titans can also run the ball, pound you with Henry, or get to the edges with Dion Lewis. Apples & Oranges.

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

My point isn't really to pump up Gase, it's more that I have seen this Ryan Tannehill movie before.  He's never played up to good numbers.  Remember at the beginning of 2018 people in the media and on this board were talking about Tannehill as an MVP candidate?  He literally did nothing for them but they were winning early and his numbers were decent.  He's doing the same thing now.

He was also maturing which also partially why you could look at this year as his best. A lot of factors but it’s not worth debating in the grand scheme anyway

16 minutes ago, HessStation said:

He was also maturing which also partially why you could look at this year as his best. A lot of factors but it’s not worth debating in the grand scheme anyway

Maybe, we'll see how this works long term.  I'm not convinced.  It doesn't mean I'm right but I need to see a lot more before I change my mind.

28 minutes ago, Jetster said:

The Jets entire Oline is a group of misfits constructed by one of the worst GMs to ever hold the position in Macc. It's a known FACT he ignored Oline to the detriment of the team & finally his career. 

A known fact I was calling out a long time before most of you lot, a known fact I got beat up about when I questioned his pickups this offseason.  The same folks who thought Winters and Shell and that Raiders cup of coffee were great do not get to give other folks sh*t now.  So please, do not lecture me.

7 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Maybe, we'll see how this works long term.  I'm not convinced.  It doesn't mean I'm right but I need to see a lot more before I change my mind.

I dont think Tannehill looking a little better in years 4,5,6 vs his first 3 years in the league is a reflection on Gase’s coaching, especially considering his year 7 without him. But I’m also not saying look how much better he is without Gase. It’s almost irrelevant to me. But maybe Gase was helpful a bit in his development sure

2 hours ago, nyjunc said:

Best rating, best completion percentage, only yr with winning record.  Some of the cumulative numbers weren't as good because he missed almost 4 games.

So the only thing he did better was throw less, and complete more passes, for less YPG.  Padding his rating with fewer, lower risk passes.    

And get hurt.  Twice.  

Cool story, we all dink and dunk and 179 yard passing games, I guess, right?

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

A known fact I was calling out a long time before most of you lot, a known fact I got beat up about when I questioned his pickups this offseason.  The same folks who thought Winters and Shell and that Raiders cup of coffee were great do not get to give other folks sh*t now.  So please, do not lecture me.

Whos lecturing you? 

The bottom line is a lot of us thought we'd see a progression towards competing within the division but it was derailed by injuries, a terrible oline & bad CB play. Nothing more, nothing less. Sam has been up & down relative to the players around him & how they are performing game to game. 

You on the other hand seem to want to find blame, whether its Sam or Gase. Why don't you just accept the fact the team right now doesn't have the talent in important positions necessary to maintain quality play week to week? Joe Douglas hasn't had 1 offseason to put his stamp on the team, and Gase hasn't had a completely healthy offensive unit since the season started. For a guy that predicted the team would probably go 5-11, 6-10 max before the season started you have a lot to say about our unknown future with Gase, JD & Sam. 

You criticize & scrutinize the team as though your expectations were 11-5 & 10-6, like your shocked they've only won 4 games? 

57 minutes ago, Jetster said:

You on the other hand seem to want to find blame.

That's generally what people do when things are not going well.  They analyze, find out who and what are responsible, and promote change of those things to foster improvement.  That's why I called out the O-line long before most of you who defended it right up to the point who started blaming it for everything...

I believe Gase is materially responsible for the poor outcome of this season.  Not solely responsible, but materially responsible.  I believe his previous resume and first year here shows he is not a Head Coach who will compete in NY for a Super Bowl, and as such I would promote not retaining his services going forward after the season's end.  I do not believe "waiting" is required to make this judgement.  While this season has multiple causes of failure, I simply do not see Gase having made anything better than they otherwise would have been.  Remove Gase and replace with literally any other NFL or college Coach, and I believe we are no worse off today than we actually are today.

TLDR:  We can and should do better than the castoff failed coach and perennially high-20's or 30's ranked Offensive leader of our AFC East rival.

Do many other things need done as well, yes.  Obviously.  I do not trust nor support Gase doing them.

6 minutes ago, Warfish said:

TLDR:  We can and should do better than the castoff failed coach and perennially high-20's or 30's ranked Offensive leader of our AFC East rival.

He had a whole week to reflect on the changes and improvements he needed to make to become a good coach, War. A. Whole. Week. He has held this team together. To prove this, we have quotes from millionaire players that reflect they would like to keep being millionaire players even if it means doing it for the jets. 

• Haha 1