Jets Fans Endure Gase’s Incompetence in Face of Belichick’s Advice

JetNation

20 minutes ago, Alentador31 said:

For all of Rex's warts.....you could never doubt his passion and his players always came to play....except AFC championship games. I would still take Rex over Gase at this point I think. I have been trying to stay patient but man...Gase makes it difficult. 

I don't blame Rex at all for the two losses in the AFC Championship games.  His coaching during those two respective runs was fantastic.  They did a great job managing Sanchez as well.  He played some of his best ball during those two playoff runs.

The loss to the Colts in the 2009 AFC Championship game was close to unavoidable.  They did not have the offense to outscore the Colts and despite that, they had the lead at the half.  They lost the game because they ran out of defensive backs.  Rex didn't have enough DB's to cover all the targets the Colts could put out there.   The loss to the Steelers in the 2010 Championship game, I believe was caused by fatigue on the first and second levels of the defense.  They were worn out from the playoff run and they showed it.  The Jets offense had the Steelers on their heels at the end of the game and the defense simply could not get a stop when it was most needed.  Rex was calling all the right defenses, but they didn't make the needed plays on the field.

I will take Rex back in a heartbeat so long as he is NEVER allowed to be the defacto GM

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

20 hours ago, dbatesman said:

He should, because there's nothing more quintessentially Boomer than bumbling through an awkward paraphrasing of the most blindingly obvious parts of Sun Tzu and then acting like you've deciphered some profound mystery.

LOL. I think Gase was being extra clever, having just finished watching The Princess Bride:

Vizzini: You only think I guessed wrong! That's what's so funny! I switched glasses when your back was turned! Ha ha! You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - the most famous of which is "never get involved in a land war in Asia" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line"! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha...

[Vizzini stops suddenly, his smile frozen on his face and falls to the ground dead. 

Indeed.  Gase probably had no idea the Bengals were weak against the run.  Probably only hear about it if he DVR’d the broadcast... Which, we all know he didn’t.

Come on with the levels of stupid... We are one of the worst run teams in this league.  Our offense has only been successful when we string together a few chunk plays through the air... All season long.  That’s the only way.  But yeah, sure Gase is that clueless and Schotty doesn’t know you have to get past the 1st down marker and Bowles doesn’t believe in offense.

17 hours ago, Alentador31 said:

For all of Rex's warts.....you could never doubt his passion and his players always came to play....except AFC championship games. I would still take Rex over Gase at this point I think. I have been trying to stay patient but man...Gase makes it difficult. 

I liked Rex but this is revisionist thinking.  He had plenty of horrid no shows-remember when he took the team for a (Chuckie Cheese or bowling ?) outing on the bye week before playing Buff and they sh*t the bed?  Or the NE game where they buried the ball the following weeks practice?  there are plenty of examples

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Bowles Movement said:

I liked Rex but this is revisionist thinking.  He had plenty of horrid no shows-remember when he took the team for a (Chuckie Cheese or bowling ?) outing on the bye week before playing Buff and they sh*t the bed?  Or the NE game where they buried the ball the following weeks practice?  there are plenty of examples

Fair points.  

On 12/3/2019 at 11:14 AM, T0mShane said:

At his current pace, if you gave Leveon Bell 20 carries, he’d get 64 yards. We should totally build around that.

Keep running and DLs tire out and yards per rush usually go up as the game goes on.

Problem is, regardless of wha the opponents yards per is, this OL against a shltty run D still can't open holes.  

On 12/3/2019 at 11:02 AM, CrazyCarl40 said:

Solid offensive game planning really. 

Gase is not the offensive genius his fans think.  His resume proves it.  This season, under adversity, proves it.

In time, everyone will get it.  But till then, we'll just have to hope for the best.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/3/2019 at 10:27 AM, greenwichjetfan said:

0-4: Gase is saddled with a backup QB and shouldn't be expected to win or even field competent offenses! Only other teams do that!

1-7: Darnold is the problem! 

4-7: Gase is a genius!

4-8: Leveon is the problem!

Meanwhile, this coach's teams over 4 years are:
- 27-33
- 25 of those 33 losses are by double digits
- 7 wins against 14 double-digit losses in his last 27 games
- 4 wins against 6 double-digit losses on the Jets alone
- Peyton-less

Has this coach's team ever won 5 out of 7 before?  Just asking.  I don't know.

• Upvote 1

On 12/5/2019 at 7:24 AM, Warfish said:

Gase is not the offensive genius his fans think.  His resume proves it.  This season, under adversity, proves it.

In time, everyone will get it.  But till then, we'll just have to hope for the best.

The thing I've always thought about Gase is that he's not necessarily an offensive guru but rather a passing game guru.  He helped Peyton Manning get to another level, he helped guys like Cutler to their best seasons, etc.  And this year I've noticed a lot of passing schemes that have gotten guys wide open all over the place.  Now, Darnold hasn't always hit them but guys like Crowder and even Vyncint Smith have been schemed open fairly consistently.  I think the major problem is that the deep game has been all but shelved because of the offensive line.  When you have to throw quick, when you need to cut out a chunk of the playbook and routes because the time simply won't be there for guys to get open it really, really hurts an offense.  We need to get this QB more time, better protection and then start using the 30-40 plays that have likely not been called because they'll get Darnold killed.  Just my take.

5 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

The thing I've always thought about Gase is that he's not necessarily an offensive guru but rather a passing game guru.  He helped Peyton Manning get to another level, he helped guys like Cutler to their best seasons, etc.

It's amazing to me the myth, the legend some of you have created about Gase.  

....schemed open fairly consistently.

:-k

I think the major problem is that the deep game has been all but shelved because of the offensive line.

That, and maybe Darnold's inability to throw deep accurately?  :-k   Naaaaa.....

We need to get this QB more time, better protection

But then who will fans blame when a playcall is bad or Darnold missed an open WR? :-k

The thing I've always thought about Gase is that he's not necessarily an offensive guru but rather a passing game guru.  He helped Peyton Manning get to another level, he helped guys like Cutler to their best seasons, etc.

(‼️⁉️)

JS, none of this is true! Where are you getting your info from? 

Peyton was already a SB winning 2 time MVP HoF QB who broke every single season passing record a decade before he met Gase! Peyton’s 2004 season ranks significantly better than 2013 by both DVOA and AY/A. Cutler’s best season was when Gase was still a WR coach on Denver, and Cutler’s second worst season was when Gase brought him to Miami to be his QB. I assume the “etc” is for Tannehill since that’s the only other real QB during Gase’s tenure as HC or OC, but his best year is this year; the year after Gase. His second best year was under Joe Philbin the year before Gase. Check FO or PFR, I promise it’s all there. His QBs and his passing offenses as a whole have always underwhelmed!

In every game this year when not mismanaging the clock or looking strangely in all directions at once on the sideline, Gase always decides not to use the most obvious way of attacking an opposing teams weaknesses. Like the game mentioned not using bell or other situational stuff like running the ball when at the goaline or running the clock out.

It's crazy. 

I mean the guy is so smart he doesn't get the basics and makes winning way to hard on his team. He beat himself. We should have won't at least three or more games this season. But coach dumbnuts is an idiot

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Has this coach's team ever won 5 out of 7 before?  Just asking.  I don't know.

9 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

I’ll respond after you respond to my post in your thread from this morning. Otherwise, you’ll never know the answer to your question.

Deal’s a deal. Yes, this HC’s team has won 5 of his last 7. 

I won’t act like I haven’t enjoyed the ride, because a Jets win is always a good thing, but we’d probably differ on who is more responsible for that given that he’s fundamentally apart from the defense. Either way, I’ll just say that 5-2 in the last 7 is nice, but 7-1 in his last 8 would have been nicer, if only he could just beat those two pesky 0-7+ teams! ?

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Deal’s a deal. Yes, this HC’s team has won 5 of his last 7. 

I won’t act like I haven’t enjoyed the ride, because a Jets win is always a good thing, but we’d probably differ on who is more responsible for that given that he’s fundamentally apart from the defense. Either way, I’ll just say that 5-2 in the last 7 is nice, but 7-1 in his last 8 would have been nicer, if only he could just beat those two pesky 0-7+ teams! ?

What kind of record should we expect for this Jets roster given the injuries?  Let's say the Jets actually beat Cincinnati and Miami, but lost to Dallas and Pittsburgh....would we all be saying that's about what we expected?  This was a 7 or 8 win roster heading into the season before it got hurt.  It likely ends up with 6 wins.  I think this team shot par.