Jump to content
SAM SAM HE'S OUR MAN

Where are they now , Pat Ryan ?

Recommended Posts

22 minutes ago, Jetpain said:

Looking back, amazing how much depth and talent thie early to mid  80's teams had 

Those teams were loaded, amazing they didn’t win a championship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The nfl should add a couple more rounds back onto the draft imo.

Each team signs 10 udfas a year anyways.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The nfl should add a couple more rounds back onto the draft imo.

Each team signs 10 udfas a year anyways.

I wonder why that is

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

Best backup QB in Jets history. If he didn’t get injured in that heart-breaking playoff loss to the Browns, the Jets win that game. Amazing how much better the offensive line looked when Ryan played instead of Kenny O’Brien.

If a Jets QB ever really started seeing ghosts, it was Ken O'Brien at the end of the 1986 season.  His 3rd full year as a starter went from penthouse to outhouse after a nightmare game in Miami on Monday Night Football (sound familiar?)

Kenny O had moments in the seasons thereafter, but he never again was the really good QB he was in 1985 and in the first 11 games of 1986.

If Sam had the sort of run Kenny O had at the end of 1986, he'd be run out of town.  Teams and fans no longer have any patience.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ryan was a pretty tough player too.  i remember one game when he got smacked in the face and came back in with his face bandaged.  of course today he'd still be out for concussion protocol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/4/2019 at 10:48 AM, JetsFanatic said:

Best backup QB in Jets history. If he didn’t get injured in that heart-breaking playoff loss to the Browns, the Jets win that game. Amazing how much better the offensive line looked when Ryan played instead of Kenny O’Brien.

I loved Pat Ryan, but he was a backup, and not good enough to be a starting QB.  I know that I was one yelling for Pat to get a chance to start for the Jets, and when he did, showed his athletic limitations.  Yes, a quality backup, but unfortunately not good enough to be a long term solution at starting QB.  I am surprised that he was 6-5 as a starter though.  Just shows that the team was quality. Either that, or our opponents were bad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Johnny Hector the other day and Pat Ryan today.  2 great Jets backups from the 1980’s!

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Alka said:

I loved Pat Ryan, but he was a backup, and not good enough to be a starting QB.  I know that I was one yelling for Pat to get a chance to start for the Jets, and when he did, showed his athletic limitations.  Yes, a quality backup, but unfortunately not good enough to be a long term solution at starting QB.  I am surprised that he was 6-5 as a starter though.  Just shows that the team was quality. Either that, or our opponents were bad.

Pat Ryan was a very good backup. Not quite Don Strock but the next tier.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/4/2019 at 1:03 PM, JetsFanatic said:

Those teams were loaded, amazing they didn’t win a championship.

Walt doesn't get fired, we would have. Maybe a couple.

  • Post of the Week 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pat used to do some local high school football radio commentary on Friday nights.  I met him a couple of times when I was working the scoreboard at Bearden High in Knoxville, but that was some 20 years ago or so...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ahhhh Pat Ryan. The Jeff Rutledge of the NY Jets.

Those were the days when ya just had a backup qb and he was your guy for years. I like the old NFL much better.



Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ray Lucas would’ve taken the jets on a deep  playoff run if Parcells had not waited so long to move on from Rick Mirer after Vinnie was lost in the opener in 99 (i think).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Walt doesn't get fired, we would have. Maybe a couple.

eh i think walt took long to make that team competitive. played below its talent level for several years even halfway into 1981.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ryan was the real heir apparent to Joe, notwithstanding his back up status. A very good QB who should have had much more success than this team would allow. Glad to read that he's doing well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company
×
×
  • Create New...