Was Kelechi Osemele Right ???

THE BARON

Been thinking about this...

Winters does all he can to play through injury.  He is not effective. The fans rag him for poor performance.  He is placed on IR and is almost certainly done with the Jets and quite possibly done with football...

The team doctors tell Kelechi Osemele he can play with his injury, but he prefers not to.  He states he doesn't feel right playing with the injury.  Does not think he will be as effective as he wants to.  The Jets cuts him, despite how badly quality players are needed on the offensive line.  Add to the mix, that his injury is one he can come back from fully next season after a corrective procedure.

Did the Jets brass blow a fuse out of frustration and go off half cocked ???

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Winters does all he can to play through injury.  He is not effective. The fans rag him for poor performance.  He is placed on IR and is almost certainly done with the Jets and quite possibly done with football...

The team doctors tell Kelechi Osemele he can play with his injury, but he prefers not to.  He states he doesn't feel right playing with the injury.  Does not think he will be as effective as he wants to.  The Jets cuts him, despite how badly quality players are needed on the offensive line.  Add to the mix, that his injury is one he can come back from fully next season after a corrective procedure.

The Johnson's are awful at running a football operation. At this point, if a player complains about ownership/front office, I will believe the player. They have demonstrated that they are clueless at running a successful football team. 

• WTF? 2

13 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

4 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

The Johnson's are awful at running a football operation. At this point, if a player complains about ownership/front office, I will believe the player. They have demonstrated that they are clueless at running a successful football team. 

Can't it be both?  Osemele has apparently done stuff like this before, hence why the Raiders tossed him away.  

Winters sucked even when healthy, so I really have no sympathy for him.  

14 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

No. 

They did the right thing and inside the NFL, people think they did too. I'm fortunate to get to talk to some execs for a different team, and I directly asked about this actually, nobody liked how Kelechi handled it. 

Media made this a nothingburger. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Can't it be both?  Osemele has apparently done stuff like this before, hence why the Raiders tossed him away.  

I wonder if the Jets brass suspected that KO had that injury when he signed.  That might explain why they $hit-canned him.  Not sure, but I think there is still ongoing drama regarding his pay. 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

This!  

it's a little of both. The truth is that KO was a disappointment anyway and I am just looking for a complete overhaul on the OL. Better now than later IMO. 

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Yep.  It is painfully obvious.  Just looking at all the wasted money and cap space is enough to make you want to drive you head through a wall.  Osemele, Trumane Johnson, Lev Bell.  No fault of Bell, but with Gase running the show, the money spent on Bell's contract goes straight up the spout.   

And now watch them eject Jamal Adams and Robbie Anderson,  Two guys who want to play and are fun to follow.  Jamal Anderson would try to play with two broken legs. 

• Upvote 1

Winters is an old school NFL player who will play through pain probably to his own detriment.

Osemele is more new school, self-interested.   I suspect that the reports he gave the Jets on the way over here were a bit rosier than reality.   He may have had a pre-existing condition that was made worse by playing on it.  Osemele decided he was better off sitting himself for injury and getting healthier for next year, potentially getting cut as a result, than trying to play through his injury this year, getting cut for poor play, and not getting a new contract.  He was able to make that call because the Center next him was completely useless, the QB had mono and at the time was not necessarily coming back, and he saw the season as lost.  I think he made the right call for him, and if he is healthy he will get a Richie Incognito show me deal.

I think the Jets should have had a mature conversation with him where they agreed that he would sit out the rest of the year for next year.  This is basically what they did with Mosely, 6 weeks too late.  6 weeks ago the Jets could have poached another player off a practice squad rather than carry Mosley.  

But to me, this is just further evidence of the Johnson's being petty.  

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

of Course KO was correct

he's going to file a grievance with the league against the Jets for the money they owe 

and he's going to win that grievance 

This is over my head, but since the Jets actually cut him and his contract was guaranteed, don't you think they already paid him?

3 minutes ago, varjet said:

This is over my head, but since the Jets actually cut him and his contract was guaranteed, don't you think they already paid him?

The team cannot cut an injured player until they are fully healthy - it is against the CBA 

also they fined him game checks when he wasn't practicing 

https://nypost.com/2019/10/26/jets-release-kelechi-osemele-in-feud-thats-far-from-over/

8 minutes ago, bitonti said:

The team cannot cut an injured player until they are fully healthy - it is against the CBA 

also they fined him game checks when he wasn't practicing 

https://nypost.com/2019/10/26/jets-release-kelechi-osemele-in-feud-thats-far-from-over/

Then this would appear to be a big mystery.   There would appear to be a few of them there.  

2 minutes ago, varjet said:

Then this would appear to be a big mystery.   There would appear to be a few of them there.  

it's not a mystery. The Jets violated the player's right when they cut him for being hurt.

They are going to say he wasn't hurt enough to be considered injured (he was just being lazy) and they are going to bring in a couple doctors who  say so.

The problem with the Jets' defense is at least one of the team doctors recommended surgery, and KO has 2 or 3 independent MDs say the same.  Doctors are not like the Supreme Court there doesn't need to be a majority for the player to opt for surgery. 

as for "pre-existing condition" there is no such thing in the NFL - the reality is their own doctors passed KO for the trade with OAK to happen. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Joe Douglas is making these calls, not the Johnsons.  Not sure how you can say he is clueless yet, but thats your prerogative. 

2 minutes ago, varjet said:

Winters is an old school NFL player who will play through pain probably to his own detriment.

Osemele is more new school, self-interested.   I suspect that the reports he gave the Jets on the way over here were a bit rosier than reality.   He may have had a pre-existing condition that was made worse by playing on it.  Osemele decided he was better off sitting himself for injury and getting healthier for next year, potentially getting cut as a result, than trying to play through his injury this year, getting cut for poor play, and not getting a new contract.  He was able to make that call because the Center next him was completely useless, the QB had mono and at the time was not necessarily coming back, and he saw the season as lost.  I think he made the right call for him, and if he is healthy he will get a Richie Incognito show me deal.

I think the Jets should have had a mature conversation with him where they agreed that he would sit out the rest of the year for next year.  This is basically what they did with Mosely, 6 weeks too late.  6 weeks ago the Jets could have poached another player off a practice squad rather than carry Mosley.  

But to me, this is just further evidence of the Johnson's being petty.  

Counterpoint is that Osemele is an aging player in decline.  Probably a poor fit for our system.  A power blocker that lost weight and took yoga.  I agree with most of your post, but I don't think having him back at $11.7M was ever a smart move, so I don't see your mature conversation as helpful.  Remember, this is a guy had the same issue regarding the 5 games he missed for the Raiders in 2018.  They thought he was loafing and could play.  

5 minutes ago, bitonti said:

it's not a mystery. The Jets violated the player's right when they cut him for being hurt.

They are going to say he wasn't hurt enough to be considered injured (he was just being lazy) and they are going to bring in a couple doctors who  say so.

The problem with the Jets' defense is at least one of the team doctors recommended surgery, and KO has 2 or 3 independent MDs say the same.  Doctors are not like the Supreme Court there doesn't need to be a majority for the player to opt for surgery. 

as for "pre-existing condition" there is no such thing in the NFL - the reality is their own doctors passed KO for the trade with OAK to happen. 

FWIW, OTC has KO's entire salary as Dead Money for 2019.  

My suspicion is that the Jets backpeddled on this and came to some type of settlement.  You are not supposed to cut an injured player because you are supposed to treat them.  My guess is that KO passed on the Jets' treatment.  

The issue with Enunwa is a bit different, a bit similar.  Enunwa is injured, but he is supposed to rehab as a condition to continue to get paid.  If he thinks he can't play anymore, he then retires, which my guess has a different salary result.  So if Enunwa still wants to get paid going forward, he nees to rehab, and if does not the Jets can fine him.  

3 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Counterpoint is that Osemele is an aging player in decline.  Probably a poor fit for our system.  A power blocker that lost weight and took yoga.  I agree with most of your post, but I don't think having him back at $11.7M was ever a smart move, so I don't see your mature conversation as helpful.  Remember, this is a guy had the same issue regarding the 5 games he missed for the Raiders in 2018.  They thought he was loafing and could play.  

Thanks.  I think the mature 2020 conversation would have included a pay cut with incentives.  

I predict that he plays somewhere in 2020 for $6-8mm.

2 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

Joe Douglas is making these calls, not the Johnsons.  Not sure how you can say he is clueless yet, but thats your prerogative. 

As Gm, you would have to think so. Something not really mentioned here, wasn't Douglas with the Ravens when Osemele was there? Maybe there is something like this in this player's past that would make Douglas feel confident in his actions. I seriously doubt he would subject the Jets to the scrutiny and potential financial peril if there wasn't. Just food for thought.

2 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

He should have handled it differently and the Jets front office should have handled it differently. No one should be forced to play injured and the fact that the Jets wanted him to tells you everything you need to know about the State our offensive line was in.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

Everybody plays injured in the NFL starting the second week.  The severity of the injuries and the ability to play thru them does vary from player to player.  Hard to know what KO s injury was and the severity of it.

2 hours ago, JTJet said:

No. 

They did the right thing and inside the NFL, people think they did too. I'm fortunate to get to talk to some execs for a different team, and I directly asked about this actually, nobody liked how Kelechi handled it. 

Media made this a nothingburger. 

Of course the execs are going to side with the Jets/against Osemele, because they're looking at the team side of things. The best interests of a team almost never coincides with that of a player. 

45 minutes ago, varjet said:

Thanks.  I think the mature 2020 conversation would have included a pay cut with incentives.  

I predict that he plays somewhere in 2020 for $6-8mm.

Fair enough.  Your prediction is probably close, but the more important question is will he will be worth it?  

40 minutes ago, section314 said:

As Gm, you would have to think so. Something not really mentioned here, wasn't Douglas with the Ravens when Osemele was there? Maybe there is something like this in this player's past that would make Douglas feel confident in his actions. I seriously doubt he would subject the Jets to the scrutiny and potential financial peril if there wasn't. Just food for thought.

Douglas was a scout with the Ravens when they selected Osemele in the 2nd.  I never heard complaints when he was with the Ravens, but when the Jets traded for him word was that the Raiders felt he dogged it.  He missed five games with his knee and toe and the team/Cable felt that he shouldn't have.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, King P said:

Of course the execs are going to side with the Jets/against Osemele, because they're looking at the team side of things. The best interests of a team almost never coincides with that of a player. 

Wrong. These execs are ex players, one of whom even played with Kelechi, he said flat out, this stuff happens a lot with all teams with Injury grievances behind the scenes and it's as common as you working in a factory and cutting your finger at work. 

He said the difference here is that Kelechi chose to air out his opinion in the media and only when he got benched instead of proffesionaly talk to the GM/Coach. 

This is coming from a guy who considers Kelechi a friend and said, and I quote "Man I love Kelechi, but that was a ******* dumb way to handle it" 

• Upvote 3

43 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I have no idea if it was decided, but I am pretty sure that I read about grievances by Osemele and Luke Falk. 

Right I mean sordid details and the outcome 

maybe everyone decided to just keep it quiet 

osemele accused the Jets of sending falsified medical records or something ?