TNJet

Would you Prefer Rivera over Gase next Season?

3 hours ago, Mo Lew said:

Nope...we need to see how Darnold performs in a system he is comfortable with next year.  Personally I think he is the guy, but with another year in the same system + an actual Oline we will all have a clear understanding.  There is nothing more important than that to me. 

definitely get you about letting darnold play in the same system 2 years running.. 

but gase has been a brutal play caller here..

can't even make up how badly he's done with bell & the running game as a whole..

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, TNJet said:

I know Gase won't be fired. CJ is too big of a wuss. That said, if he fired Gase and hired Rivera would you like the hire?

Yes

2 minutes ago, LSJF said:

Holy crap, Joe Douglas fits right in...crappy draft picks galore

While it was interesting to read an Eagles fan's opinions on their recent drafts with Douglas, it's kinda hard to pin the perceived failure of those drafts on the Vice President of Player Personnel. Can't say for certain how much input he had on those picks, but I think it's safe to assume that Douglas didn't have final say.

Now, obviously, I'm not saying Douglass is blameless in those drafts; he was still a part of the brain trust, after all. But, I think it'd be a more accurate assessment of Douglas' talents to compare the Eagles drafts before his time there, to see if there was a stark difference in success -- which the writer didn't do -- and to compare their drafts after his departure -- which we can't yet do. That is, assuming, Joe Douglas was the most significant member of the Eagles decision making team that was added and lost, respectively. We'll have a better idea of what Douglas can do after the 2020 draft when he has full control and final say over an entire scouting team.

What I did notice in that article, though, is that during his tenure there, the Eagles did seem to value pass-rusher (DE) and CB pretty highly in the draft, followed by offensive skill positions. Which are all positions that 1) are vital to a team's success and 2) the Jets are desperately thin at. And, while every pick may not have worked out, the strategy is sound. They only took 3 offensive linemen in those 3 years -- 2 in rounds 6 and 7 in 2018 that apparently aren't any good -- but the writer was positive about their 2019 1st round pick LT Andre Hillard. Saying that, I have no clue on what their needs were at offensive line.

While we can't say for certain that Douglas personally valued those particular positions that high, and that he'll continue the trend here, at least we can say he saw first hand how an organization does value them, and we can hope that he'll bring the same mindset here to New York, and also be successful at it.

• Upvote 2

The guy to watch, if you really want Gase out after one year, is Doug Pederson. If the Eagles collapse down the stretch, there's a decent chance he hits the curb. They get the Giants twice, the Redskins and the Cowboys. 1-3 probably gets him the hook. 

5 hours ago, TheClashFan said:

I want a third option.  How about neither?

It matters not. Gase will be here next year.

Correct. Johnsons aren’t paying three HC’s next year. But speaking hypothetically, I’d take Geraldo Rivera over Gase

• Like 1

7 hours ago, T0mShane said:

The guy to watch, if you really want Gase out after one year, is Doug Pederson. If the Eagles collapse down the stretch, there's a decent chance he hits the curb. They get the Giants twice, the Redskins and the Cowboys. 1-3 probably gets him the hook. 

I’d take Pederson over Gasbag in a second

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, David Harris said:

I don't know if Rivera gurus QB's

Gase certainly doesn’t 

7 hours ago, T0mShane said:

If the Eagles collapse, is Pederson the guy  we want or is it Reich? He left and Wentz is not the same AND Brissett might be the long term answer in Indy. 

41 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Me too, even though I think they share a lot of the same qualities 

9 minutes ago, Mo Lew said:

If the Eagles collapse, is Pederson the guy  we want or is it Reich? He left and Wentz is not the same AND Brissett might be the long term answer in Indy. 

Yeah, that’s what’s scary. I think Pederson is a lot like Gase, but with one magic carpet ride season under his belt 

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

No, no, no!! Just no.

I have a front row seat to the Eagles demise. Under Pederson, the Eagles have devolved to an undisciplined, player-first mentality where Pederson seems to have little control  ver the locker room.

His play calling is under constant scrutiny as he refuses to run the ball even against the worst defenses (sound familiar)? His sound bites have become cringe-worthy.

By all appearances it was Frank Reich and the hot play of Nick Foles that brought them their success.

this is pretty ridiculous at this moment.  maybe gase is the wrong guy but given the hand he was dealt it's hard to see how the jets could've done a whole lot better.  and i'm one of the more optimistic fans around here.  wait until we see how next season plays out before judging gase one way or another. 

as for rivera, he had superman at qb and still lost a superbowl.  kind of kidding on that one.  rivera doesn't seem to be a bad coach.  his team didn't age some gracefully but they still are still in it.  he also was a jets lb once.

Hire Rivera for the “created” position of “Manager”. Designate it as a coaching position, and put him over Gase in the organizational structure. 

22 hours ago, TNJet said:

I know Gase won't be fired. CJ is too big of a wuss. That said, if he fired Gase and hired Rivera would you like the hire?

Can Rivera play Left Tackle? 

21 hours ago, Warfish said:

Moot point since it won't happen.

We just have to hope Gase is better than his resume would indicate tbqh.  That he IS the Gase of his one great Manning-led year, not the Gase of all the other years.

I'm not sold on Gase yet either but how was BB after his time with the Browns and then going 5-11 year one with the Pats??

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Can Rivera play Left Tackle? 

Probably as good as Beachum.

On 12/4/2019 at 4:06 PM, TNJet said:

I would take the guy in the plastic Burger King head over Gase, so yeah I would like the hire. I prefer the Jets keep Gregg Williams and promote him to HC. He deserves a shot and the Redskins will come after him hard.

Just now, Ex-Rex said:

I would take the guy in the plastic Burger King head over Gase, so yeah I would like the hire. I prefer the Jets keep Gregg Williams and promote him to HC. He deserves a shot and the Redskins will come after him hard.

New Jet coach: Burger King.

2 hours ago, Savage69 said:

I'm not sold on Gase yet either but how was BB after his time with the Browns and then going 5-11 year one with the Pats??

Please don't compare Gase in ANY way with BB. He went 5-11 with a team that knew they were moving to Baltimore the next year. The year before he had them in the playoffs. He went 5-11 with NE with a rookie QB - Drew Bledsoe.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ex-Rex said:

Please don't compare Gase in ANY way with BB. He went 5-11 with a team that knew they were moving to Baltimore the next year. The year before he had them in the playoffs. He went 5-11 with NE with a rookie QB - Drew Bledsoe.

BB had 4 losing seasons along with that 11-5 season and he had a young Vinny T for 3 of them.. BTW Drew Bledsoe was in the Super Bowl in 1996 and was a rookie in 1993??

• Upvote 1

Gase isn’t going anywhere but I’m not a big Rivera fan. Some team will probably pick him up though. 
No thanks.

• Upvote 1

On 12/4/2019 at 10:40 PM, T0mShane said:

Shirley you can’t be serious

• Haha 1

On 12/4/2019 at 10:40 PM, T0mShane said:

Would love Pederson but no way in hell hes getting the hook

There isn’t a head coach in  NFL history that could make this team with its current roster a playoff team. Not even Vince Lombardi. 

• Confused 1

On 12/4/2019 at 3:27 PM, joewilly12 said:

Ladies and Gentlemen there is no way in hell that the Johnson brothers pay 3 HC's in 2020. 

Wow I didn’t know we still owed money to Bowles in 2020. It should really be the other way around. God damn. Looks like we will have to go through another losing season with Gase the Garbage!