KRL

Will We Ever See Adams Again In A Jet Uniform???

46 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I dont think Douglas is the guy you have to worry about trying to be Jerry Jones. Adams has already gone straight to the owner.

"The voicemail of the customer you are trying to reach is full. 

Goodbye." 

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

Seriously?  He is a ******* safety.  He isn't just manning up and he sure isn't avoided like Revis when he does.  They do use him in a bunch of ways, but if he were any good at playing centerfield and eating up deep balls, he'd be doing it instead of Maye.

Maybe, but it had better be on the team's terms.  Not his.  I don't give a **** what he or his agent want.  We get what we deserve for him or he can pay the fines and sit out. He will still be under contract to the Jets for 2021 on the 5th year option.

Anything close to what?  They already are said to have offered a 1st and 3rd.  ODBJr net a 1st, 3rd and Jabril Peppers and he was already being paid a ridiculous sum of money, not locked in cheap for a couple of years under team control.  Possible that Dallas won't offer much more because they probably wanted him for their run in 2019, but someone will and a 2nd or 1st isn't going to sniff getting it done.  A 1st and 2nd, maybe.

Because his value will drop.  He will be fined.  He will not accrue the season, so he will have to show up in 2020 under the option year.  There are plenty of reasons.  Like I said, it isn't 1983. Unless he thinks the XFL is going to take off and he can play there duting the lockout/strike.

This is such a mess to answer.

The reports i saw at the trade deadline was Dallas offered a forst round pick and that was all. I didn't  see much after that but even if it was a 1st and 3rd which i doubt,  JD said it was insufficient.  I think you are way overestimating  his value

1 hour ago, Saul Goodman said:

He sucks! He’s a cancer! He makes no impact!

He should fetch at least a 1st round pick and a 3rd round pick 🤔

No one suggested he sucks.  He definitely has the potential to be a cancer.  He makes a limited impact.  

For the 3 reasons above there's likely to be a team that values him more than we do, and more than he is ACTUALLY worth to a team's success.

It's not a hard concept.  

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

This is a silly argument.  Namely because we're not JUST getting draft picks in a trade for Adams.  We're also avoiding paying him $15M+ per season down the road.  Money that could be better used on O-Linemen and/or Sam's new contract IF he proves to be the "franchise guy".  

What is silly about having a top 3 player at his position. Nobody ever got better by trading away their best player on the team which at the moment is Adams. I would rather trade Bell. You want to talk about a poor use of resources.  Bell is a freaking black hole. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

What is silly about having a top 3 player at his position. Nobody ever got better by trading away their best player on the team which at the moment is Adams. I would rather trade Bell. You want to talk about a poor use of resources.  Bell is a freaking black hole. 

Top 3 player at his position doesn't mean he plays the 1st, 2nd or 3rd most important position on the field.  Teams can, and do, get better by trading away quality players if/when they're able to improve at positions that matter.

If Lac Edwards, an elite Punter, said he wanted $8M a year, we'd tell him to go kick rocks, right?  Much the same way I'd tell Jamal to go kick rocks if he wants $16M a year.  I'd much rather trade him in advance of the day when he makes his contract demands.  His salary is low and his trade value is at a high point.  His trade value will only drop the longer we wait.

Bell won't garner much in a trade.  Mostly because he's an overpaid RB who is 28 years old.  They'd have to take on a big contract AND give up a draft pick.  When Bell hit free agency, only us and the Colts were seriously competing for his services by the time he got ready to make a decision.  Think anyone out there wants to give up picks for a guy they DIDN'T want last offseason?

15 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

What is a mess? 

Adams is an excellent player.  He is under contract below his value.  If a team wants him, I am not trading him for peanuts.  Neither is Joe Douglas.

You think I am "way overestimating his value?"  Maybe I was wrong and Dallas didn't offer a 1st and 3rd - I don't think I am, but this sh*t is all unofficial since the player is under contract. 

You think he is only worth a 2nd rounder or "maybe a 1st?"  That is way underestimating his value.

https://heavy.com/sports/2019/10/cowboys-final-offer-jets-jamal-adams-trade/

Is a first and multiple 2nds true?  I don't know, but I'd have jumped at that.  It sure as hell was more than just a 1st which I would turn down every damn day and twice on Sunday.

Boomer insinuated Jerry was doing his typical tampering/recruiting by leaking this as a potential trade. Did it with Earl Thomas too to intentionally put the team in a bad spot.

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It's going to be hard to get a top 5 pick, especially if we beat Miami.  Right now we're sitting at # 8.  

Also, there's no guarantee we can get a big package of picks for, say, the # 3-5 pick even if we end up in that range.  If this turns out to be a 2-QB draft, we'll only get a modest package of picks back in a trade down scenario.  

Give me the 1st & 3rd for Adams AND a potential trade down.  

IncompleteMadeupGalapagospenguin-max-1mb.gif.6991efb75cd629ba7700aeecaac45327.gifUs beating Miami.

3 minutes ago, genot said:

IncompleteMadeupGalapagospenguin-max-1mb.gif.6991efb75cd629ba7700aeecaac45327.gifUs beating Miami.

Yeah, this game isn't a guaranteed W by any means.  This will be a "make or break" game for both teams as far as draft positioning goes.  Whoever wins will have a very hard time getting a top 5 pick.  

28 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Top 3 player at his position doesn't mean he plays the 1st, 2nd or 3rd most important position on the field.  Teams can, and do, get better by trading away quality players if/when they're able to improve at positions that matter.

If Lac Edwards, an elite Punter, said he wanted $8M a year, we'd tell him to go kick rocks, right?  Much the same way I'd tell Jamal to go kick rocks if he wants $16M a year.  I'd much rather trade him in advance of the day when he makes his contract demands.  His salary is low and his trade value is at a high point.  His trade value will only drop the longer we wait.

Bell won't garner much in a trade.  Mostly because he's an overpaid RB who is 28 years old.  They'd have to take on a big contract AND give up a draft pick.  When Bell hit free agency, only us and the Colts were seriously competing for his services by the time he got ready to make a decision.  Think anyone out there wants to give up picks for a guy they DIDN'T want last offseason?

I have posted this before and I'll do it again now. Anyone who think S is not a top 5 position in todays NFL is living in the past. Todays NFL is a passing league so you need S that will disrupt that and Adams has shown he can do that when rushing and in coverage. I know he hasn't  gotten the picks but he has broken up pass plays. The way i would rank positions is this

QB, LT, Edge, WR, S. 

I put S ahead of DB because the rules are so in favor of the WR now, unless you are a lights out lockdown DB, you are just another defender because if you touch a WR past 5 yards, you are getting holding penalty.  

• Post of the Week 1

7 hours ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

1, 3 AND a 2 for a guy who is clearly not happy to be here and is probably thisclose to holding out? Unlikely.

The Jets would be lucky to get the 1+ that Dallas offered at the trade deadline.

As to the topic: Nah, he's checked out mentally. He'll be gone by TC

Jerry Jones is pissed and will look to make a splash in the off season. He'll make a play for Adams if he becomes available and more teams will sniff around too as he isn't a washed up scrub.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

What is a mess? 

Adams is an excellent player.  He is under contract below his value.  If a team wants him, I am not trading him for peanuts.  Neither is Joe Douglas.

You think I am "way overestimating his value?"  Maybe I was wrong and Dallas didn't offer a 1st and 3rd - I don't think I am, but this sh*t is all unofficial since the player is under contract. 

You think he is only worth a 2nd rounder or "maybe a 1st?"  That is way underestimating his value.

https://heavy.com/sports/2019/10/cowboys-final-offer-jets-jamal-adams-trade/

Is a first and multiple 2nds true?  I don't know, but I'd have jumped at that.  It sure as hell was more than just a 1st which I would turn down every damn day and twice on Sunday.

That is such a BS story. Who the Hell would ever turn down a first and 2 second round picks for one player, even if he was a QB. That would be such a steal, JD might have been arrested for grand larceny.  

If Douglas was offered that and he didn't  jump.all over it, he should be dismissed.  

• Upvote 1

A 1st and 2 2nds for adams and a block buster package of picks for quinnen.  If douglas had the balls this team could have had a major reset in one draft.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Yeah, this game isn't a guaranteed W by any means.  This will be a "make or break" game for both teams as far as draft positioning goes.  Whoever wins will have a very hard time getting a top 5 pick.  

This is the 1st time ever as a Jet fan, that i'm praying on losing our remaining games. This draft is filled with players that can fill our needs.

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

That is such a BS story. Who the Hell would ever turn down a first and 2 second round picks for one player, even if he was a QB. That would be such a steal, JD might have been arrested for grand larceny.  

If Douglas was offered that and he didn't  jump.all over it, he should be dismissed.  

Nobody would trade a 1st and 2 2nds for a player, but we traded more than that for the hope of being able to draft Darnold (or Mayfield, or Rosen)?  I don't get how you think.  Yes, the first and two seconds is probably BS, particularly considering it was not linked to a team, but it certainly gives an idea of the range. Plenty of reports had both the Ravens and Cowboys offering more than just a first. 

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

I have posted this before and I'll do it again now. Anyone who think S is not a top 5 position in todays NFL is living in the past. Todays NFL is a passing league so you need S that will disrupt that and Adams has shown he can do that when rushing and in coverage. I know he hasn't  gotten the picks but he has broken up pass plays. The way i would rank positions is this

QB, LT, Edge, WR, S. 

I put S ahead of DB because the rules are so in favor of the WR now, unless you are a lights out lockdown DB, you are just another defender because if you touch a WR past 5 yards, you are getting holding penalty.  

You're talking about a Free Safety.  A Safety that's closer to being a Corner than a traditional Safety.   The version of Safety that Jamal Adams plays, which is not at all the version you describe above, is not in the top 5 of most important positions. 

Honey Badger is a good comparison for what you're talking about.   That's not Jamal.  No one would ever, ever try to put Jamal at Corner.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

A 1st and 2 2nds for adams and a block buster package of picks for quinnen.  If douglas had the balls this team could have had a major reset in one draft.

If Douglas was truly offered deals like that and turned them down, that would tell me that Chris Johnson had a part in declining the deals.

Hopefully the offers he got for Jamal and Quinnen were exaggerated so I can feel good about our GM and his ability to call the shots.    I just can't imagine any GM, including Mike Maccagnan, turning down a Jalen Ramsey-level offer for Jamal and a tremendous package of picks for Q.  

• Upvote 3

I think Adams is a crybaby, but he's been one hell of a player, especially since he got called out by every Jets fan on Earth for being a baby. With that being said, he doesn't move the needle. He's a luxury player, a player you want once you already have a solid team. 

So, I'd be open to trade him. Maybe. I'd say see if we could move him to LB, but I think he'd demand too much in FA no matter where we moved him.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

QB, LT, Edge, WR, S. 

If SS is such an important position how come the Jets were 4-12 last year and one of the worst pass defenses in the league while Jamal, simultaneously, earned All-Pro honors in the same breath? 

Such impact. You play SS at the highest level, higher than any other player at your position...and you turn in a 4-12 record and terrible overall defensive pass rankings.

okay, not buying it.

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

If SS is such an important position how come the Jets were 4-12 last year and one of the worst pass defenses in the league while Jamal, simultaneously, earned All-Pro honors in the same breath? 

Such impact. You play SS at the highest level, higher than any other player at your position...and you turn in a 4-12 record and terrible overall defensive pass rankings.

okay, not buying it.

Let me start off by saying if I were Douglas I would trade Jamal for draft picks since this team is lacking talent in so many position that it's scary. He's a very good player but if you can get a 1st and 3rd or better than you have to take that.

With that being said, I hate this argument used above. Football is too much of a team sport for it to be this simple. Khalil Mack had 11 sacks the year before he was traded to the Bears and the Raiders still sucked, especially on defense. And Mack is 2x as impactful as Adams is. You can have a superstar on one side of the ball and still field a bad overall unit.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MindOverMatter said:

Let me start off by saying if I were Douglas I would trade Jamal for draft picks since this team is lacking talent in so many position that it's scary. He's a very good player but if you can get a 1st and 3rd or better than you have to take that.

With that being said, I hate this argument used above. Football is too much of a team sport for it to be this simple. Khalil Mack had 11 sacks the year before he was traded to the Bears and the Raiders still sucked, especially on defense. And Mack is 2x as impactful as Adams is. You can have a superstar on one side of the ball and still field a bad overall unit.

It’s not mutually exclusive and it goes either way.

SS is still not an impact position despite Khalil Mack playing Edge. Obviously other things factor into a win loss record but a premier safety is not one of those in any case.

#1 and #3 this year and a #2 next year the roster could get overhauled quickly.

Really? I don't understand the fascination with draft picks they are extremely overvalued. Just look at our recent draft history. Kyle Wilson, Vernon Gholston, Dee Milliner, Quinton Coples, Calvin Pryor, Darron Lee. Were all terrible. Even our so called good picks were mediocre at best players like Leonard Williams, Muhamed Wilkerson, Sheldon Richardson, Mark Sanchez.

The only first round players who have potential to be upper tier in the last 10 years are Sam Darnold and Jamal Adams and you want to trade one of them for odds like that?????? A low first round pick will not be able to sniff Jamal Adams. 2nd and 3rd round talent are available every year in free agency.

YOU DO NOT TRADE ELITE YOUNG TALENT FOR DRAFT PICKS!!!!!

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, genot said:

Revis for 4 or 5 years was one of the best corner backs who ever played. Not many interceptions during that time. why? Nobody threw his way. when Adams is in coverage, why would a team throw his way? You might not think he's all that much. He is clearly the best player in that secondary. you would agree with that. No?

In what would be his best-ever season of 2009, Revis defended a crazy 127 targets thrown his way. QBs just had trouble completing passes to guys he covered.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Nobody would trade a 1st and 2 2nds for a player, but we traded more than that for the hope of being able to draft Darnold (or Mayfield, or Rosen)?  I don't get how you think.  Yes, the first and two seconds is probably BS, particularly considering it was not linked to a team, but it certainly gives an idea of the range. Plenty of reports had both the Ravens and Cowboys offering more than just a first. 

Didn't we swap first roundser and traded 2 seconds?  How is that more than trading away your first and 2 two seconds for a player?

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

You're talking about a Free Safety.  A Safety that's closer to being a Corner than a traditional Safety.   The version of Safety that Jamal Adams plays, which is not at all the version you describe above, is not in the top 5 of most important positions. 

Honey Badger is a good comparison for what you're talking about.   That's not Jamal.  No one would ever, ever try to put Jamal at Corner.  

Personally I think Jamal's coverage skills for most RB's and TE's is fine but i wouldn't  want to see him covering a WR. 

2 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

okay, not buying it.

Well when all your DB's suck, what do you expect. I mean our starters were Johnson, Skrien, and Roberts. That is freaking awful.  Ed Reed in his prime could have been back there and we wouldn't be any better. 

2 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

Didn't we swap first roundser and traded 2 seconds?  How is that more than trading away your first and 2 two seconds for a player?

Traded • 2018 first round pick (#6-Quenton Nelson) • 2018 second round pick (#37-Braden Smith) • 2018 second round pick (#49-Dallas Goedert) • 2019 second round pick (#34-Rock Ya-Sin) to Colts for • 2018 first round pick (#3-Sam Darnold) on 2018-03-17

How is it not?  They traded 4 picks for the opportunity to draft Sam Darnold.  They didn't even know who they were getting.  They could have ended up with Barkley or Rosen.  How would that feel right now? 

14 hours ago, KRL said:

It seems like Jamal Adams injury is pretty serious (high ankle?) and with only
four games left he may not make it back.  What's going to be interesting to watch
is the play of the defense.  If they play at a respectable or better level will
that put the thought in Joe Douglas head that the defense can perform well without
Adams?  If that occurs I will not be shocked if Douglas pulls the trigger and looks
to send Adams to DAL in the off-season.  Getting back picks over the next two years
to restructure and restock the team would be more beneficial than having a high
priced impact safety.  Jerry Jones isn't happy with DAL and I could see him making
major changes, not only in their coaching staff but in their roster.  If Douglas
could get something like a #1 and #3 this year and a #2 next year the roster could
get overhauled quickly.  Imagine having these picks in the draft:

#1 our own
#1 DAL 
#2 our own
#3 NYG
#3 our own
#3 DAL 

That would be SIX picks in the first 100 players in a draft that is deep at OLine
among other positions (WR, CB).  Of course if the defense collapses over the final
four games you can ignore this

13 hours ago, THE BARON said:

Adams ??? Who needs him. Trade him and aquire a few more inside defensive lineman in FA and the draft.  Since Williams is not looking too good, this position is a priority.  They need to trade Adams, Darnold, Robbie Anderson, Griffin and load up on defensive tackles.  It is such a priority I would strongly recommend that they use every pick in the 2020 draft on defensive tackles.  It will be worth it if one of them works out.  Then you can trade him for more picks to use on interior defensive lineman... 

Influenced by RobR

13 hours ago, genot said:

Revis for 4 or 5 years was one of the best corner backs who ever played. Not many interceptions during that time. why? Nobody threw his way. when Adams is in coverage, why would a team throw his way? You might not think he's all that much. He is clearly the best player in that secondary. you would agree with that. No?

NOOOOOOOOO

13 hours ago, genot said:

To you it is. You pay him what the market tells you to pay him. That's up to the GM. if Adams wants a substantial amount more. Then let him walk. We aren't at that point yet. I think Adams is one of the best defensive players in the league. Top 10, for sure. that's just my view on him.

Fixed

Then let him walk. We aren't at that point yet. Top 1000 for sure. that's just my view on him.

1, 3 AND a 2 for a guy who is clearly not happy to be here and is probably thisclose to holding out? Unlikely.

The Jets would be lucky to get the 1+ that Dallas offered at the trade deadline.

As to the topic: Nah, he's checked out mentally. He'll be gone by TC

What evidence do you have that he’s unhappy being in New York? Everything he’s said has been the complete opposite of that. Are we just making sh*t up now?
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, genot said:

He's good in coverage, meaning sometimes he gets beat. He's an elite box safety. He's a great blitzer. He plays hard every Sunday from start to finish. You have to consider that revis was a corner at all times. Adams is moved all over the place. Revis is a better corner, than Adams is a safety though. That shouldn't be a slight on Adams

Comparing Adams to Revis is like comparing Chump to FDR.