Jump to content
KRL

Will We Ever See Adams Again In A Jet Uniform???

Recommended Posts

Bears just demolished Dallas secondary. Forget it was 31-24. Da Bears embarrassed them. The pig is ripe for slaughter. Adams and QW for Martin, their #1 and a #4.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The collective logic on this site makes me think everyone of the posters got dropped on their heads as a baby. Trading Jamal Adams is not only foolish, it serves no purpose. The Jets would never get what he's worth. Not to mention he serves as an ambassador to attract free agents. Do you really think CJ Mosley would have come to MY if Jamal hadn't been talking to him? There were just as many teams offering Mosley comparable money. Jamal Adams is a game changer and he also happens to be our ONLY source of pressure on the QB. So you idiots want to trade him so you draft ANOTHER DL? Brilliant logic.

  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

The collective logic on this site makes me think everyone of the posters got dropped on their heads as a baby. Trading Jamal Adams is not only foolish, it serves no purpose. The Jets would never get what he's worth. Not to mention he serves as an ambassador to attract free agents. Do you really think CJ Mosley would have come to MY if Jamal hadn't been talking to him? There were just as many teams offering Mosley comparable money. Jamal Adams is a game changer and he also happens to be our ONLY source of pressure on the QB. So you idiots want to trade him so you draft ANOTHER DL? Brilliant logic.

Money got Mosley here, not Jamal Adams. Same like every other free agent. The only player who will attract other free agents, is a franchise QB. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was in the "keep Jamal camp" until the trade deadline. He's got one foot out the door, I can't say I blame the guy. We should get maximum value while we can though. I'm unsure if Douglas wants to pay a SS but I do know that he values a stout OL, which could be rebuilt faster with a trade. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, BroadwayJoe12 said:

Money got Mosley here, not Jamal Adams. Same like every other free agent. The only player who will attract other free agents, is a franchise QB. 

Keep telling yourself that. It might get true of you repeat it long enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I was in the "keep Jamal camp" until the trade deadline. He's got one foot out the door, I can't say I blame the guy. We should get maximum value while we can though. I'm unsure if Douglas wants to pay a SS but I do know that he values a stout OL, which could be rebuilt faster with a trade. 

And you don't think Douglas was in the camp that wanted to keep Ed Reed around when he was working for the Baltimore Ravens?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

In what would be his best-ever season of 2009, Revis defended a crazy 127 targets thrown his way. QBs just had trouble completing passes to guys he covered.

Wow. Was he targeted that much. since that season. Revis was unbelievable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

In what would be his best-ever season of 2009, Revis defended a crazy 127 targets thrown his way. QBs just had trouble completing passes to guys he covered.

That was the year he set a career high in INTs.  After that they stopped throwing at him until later in his career.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BroadwayJoe12 said:

Money got Mosley here, not Jamal Adams. Same like every other free agent. The only player who will attract other free agents, is a franchise QB. 

Sure, money was the main reason why he signed here. Don't discount persuasion by one his own though. Im sure it was a factor to some degree.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

How is it not?  They traded 4 picks for the opportunity to draft Sam Darnold.  They didn't even know who they were getting.  They could have ended up with Barkley or Rosen.  How would that feel right now? 

Best trade in Jets history. I don't  know why you are complaining. IMO that is nowhere near the BS offer you posted. Why would you even write that. There is no way that was offered and that guy from ESPN should be covering pop warner

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NYJ1 said:

The collective logic on this site makes me think everyone of the posters got dropped on their heads as a baby. Trading Jamal Adams is not only foolish, it serves no purpose. The Jets would never get what he's worth. Not to mention he serves as an ambassador to attract free agents. Do you really think CJ Mosley would have come to MY if Jamal hadn't been talking to him? There were just as many teams offering Mosley comparable money. Jamal Adams is a game changer and he also happens to be our ONLY source of pressure on the QB. So you idiots want to trade him so you draft ANOTHER DL? Brilliant logic.

The Jets made Mosely the highest paid ILB ever, no?  Reportedly paying him 3M/year more than Baltimore offered, and you think it was Adams that got him here?  This is literally the worst take of the whole thread, yet you’re accusing others of being dropped on the head?

EDIT: There are only 12 non-QBs in the NFL that get more per year than Mosely. But yeah, sure, he’s here because of Jamal Adams Twitter.

Even if this nonsense were true, is it a good thing?  I’m not sure I’m happy about the 8.5M/game LB that Jamal got to sign here.

EDIT 2: He’s the 2nd highest paid per year, but 31M total more and 20M guaranteed more than the first.  Wagner, Seahawks.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Jets should trade Adams while his value is very high.  He racked up some good numbers in that 3 week span and I would not play him the rest of the way.  Keep those games in a GM's mind.   

Jamal gets good numbers with the Jets because the rest of the defense is so bad.  If you put him on a team that has a solid defense then he will play more in coverage and his value will drop.  I think Jamal will play for quite a few teams during his career as he will never get that top mega contract he thinks he deserves.

  • Upvote 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/5/2019 at 8:50 AM, KRL said:

The Jets got TWO picks for a JAG like Williams.  Getting three picks for an impact player

is not crazy

From Dave  “the best Jets GM of at least the last decade” Gettleman 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, genot said:

Revis for 4 or 5 years was one of the best corner backs who ever played. Not many interceptions during that time. why? Nobody threw his way. when Adams is in coverage, why would a team throw his way? You might not think he's all that much. He is clearly the best player in that secondary. you would agree with that. No?

Adams is the best player on the Jets defense.  That includes C.J. Ghostly and Quinnen "on the way to being a bust" Williams as well. I don't know why any fan would not want him back.  It's not like he is cold-cocking women on elevators, electrocuting dogs or using substance.  He's an enthusiastic young player who has time to develop maturity... 

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, THE BARON said:

Adams is the best player on the Jets defense.  That includes C.J. Ghostly and Quinnen "on the way to being a bust" Williams as well. I don't know why any fan would not want him back.  It's not like he is cold-cocking women on elevators, electrocuting dogs or using substanceHe's an enthusiastic young player who has time to develop maturity... 

Because we don't want to pay him a ton of money (or more importantly, a large percentage of cap space), and if you can get something of value for him, it's a good idea, rather than paying him like you paid "CJ Ghostly" or letting him walk for nothing.  Paying Mosely should be a cautionary tale, not something to repeat because Mosely, thus far, was a poor decision.

This isn't that complicated.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If we could get a 1st and a 2nd I would grab it.  Anything more would be gravy.  He is a very good payer, but he is a safety.   He also is a potential malcontent who invented a nickname for himself, and he is going to demand an insane amount of money.  We need picks.   OL, WR and CB each would go farther toward building a winning team.

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, nyjunc said:

That was the year he set a career high in INTs.  After that they stopped throwing at him until later in his career.

Not really. They just didn't challenge him as much as in 2009, but few corners are ever targeted that often. Perception aside, they still threw at him.

There were 2 outliers in 2010 and 2013 - and individual seasons like that can have multiple reasons why (different talent around him, different scheme, etc.) - but the rest of the time it was quite normal compared to his decidedly-lesser peers on a per-game basis. 

  • In 2010 it dropped a lot (67 targets), but without context it's misleading, as he also missed 3.5 games - almost a quarter of the season - after the "injury" following Moss torching him for that one-handed TD. Over 16 games his total targets would still have been pushing 90. 
  • Second-fewest number was for Tampa in 2013 (63 targets), but the starters he was playing alongside were rookie Jonathan Barks and second-year Leonard Johnson (clearly I had to look them up); and also iirc that year Schiano again played a lot of zone despite paying through the nose in picks & money for the game's premiere man corner. I'd expect any number of good, veteran corners to get targeted less frequently than scrubs in that scenario. Also not being the Revis of old, in his first year back from a bad knee injury, TB couldn't just load up DBs to the not-Revis areas of the field (even Revis surrendered ~8 yds/target that year; worst on the team, literally double his impossible 2009 figure, and was in no small part why his 2014 pay dropped $4MM as a UFA even as the cap rose).

Most of the rest of his career - even removing 2009 - he was individually targeted a little over 5x per game (any year there are usually only about a half dozen corners with 90+ targets). Honestly he was targeted fewer times (70) in that last, disastrous, outlier season here than in his best seasons.

Also the bulk of his career here the Ryan Jets weren't exactly a high-octane, gunslinger team that typically pressured opponents to likewise pass more often just to keep up with our 30+ ppg offense. The whole Jets team aggregately was usually a lower-target pass defense (including the 2012 season he missed to injury).

This doesn't at all take away from how great he once was. At his very best, I've long felt the pre-injury Revis was the best football player I ever saw at any position, especially when factoring in the offense-favoring rules and flag-happy zebras that were in effect his entire career. A 29.1 passer rating against him should be physically impossible over the course of a full season.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Not really. They just didn't challenge him as much as in 2009, but few corners are ever targeted that often. Perception aside, they still threw at him.

There were 2 outliers in 2010 and 2013 - and individual seasons like that can have multiple reasons why (different talent around him, different scheme, etc.) - but the rest of the time it was quite normal compared to his decidedly-lesser peers on a per-game basis. 

  • In 2010 it dropped a lot (67 targets), but without context it's misleading, as he also missed 3.5 games - almost a quarter of the season - after the "injury" following Moss torching him for that one-handed TD. Over 16 games his total targets would still have been pushing 90. 
  • Second-fewest number was for Tampa in 2013 (63 targets), but the starters he was playing alongside were rookie Jonathan Barks and second-year Leonard Johnson (clearly I had to look them up); and also iirc that year Schiano again played a lot of zone despite paying through the nose in picks & money for the game's premiere man corner. I'd expect any number of good, veteran corners to get targeted less frequently than scrubs in that scenario. Also not being the Revis of old, in his first year back from a bad knee injury, TB couldn't just load up DBs to the not-Revis areas of the field (even Revis surrendered ~8 yds/target that year; worst on the team, literally double his impossible 2009 figure, and was in no small part why his 2014 pay dropped $4MM as a UFA even as the cap rose).

Most of the rest of his career - even removing 2009 - he was individually targeted a little over 5x per game (any year there are usually only about a half dozen corners with 90+ targets). Honestly he was targeted fewer times (70) in that last, disastrous, outlier season here than in his best seasons.

Also the bulk of his career here the Ryan Jets weren't exactly a high-octane, gunslinger team that typically pressured opponents to likewise pass more often just to keep up with our 30+ ppg offense. The whole Jets team aggregately was usually a lower-target pass defense (including the 2012 season he missed to injury).

This doesn't at all take away from how great he once was. At his very best, I've long felt the pre-injury Revis was the best football player I ever saw at any position, especially when factoring in the offense-favoring rules and flag-happy zebras that were in effect his entire career. A 29.1 passer rating against him should be physically impossible over the course of a full season.

Wow, you are way younger than I thought. Put in a tape of Lawrence Taylor some time and tell me if you still feel the same way.😁

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, prime21 said:

The Jets should trade Adams while his value is very high. 

I disagree. Not specific to Jamal but this team has been a blackhole of talent. We should not be talent sellers. Trading talent players for draft picks with our draft history is selling the family cow for magic beans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, jgb said:

I disagree. Not specific to Jamal but this team has been a blackhole of talent. We should not be talent sellers. Trading talent players for draft picks with our draft history is selling the family cow for magic beans.

Are you willing to commit roughly 10% of the salary cap to Jamal Adams and what he brings to the table?

We're already committing a substantial percentage to Mosely and Bell.  Adding Adams to that mix means you're paying probably 1/3rd of your cap to positions most teams try to get on the cheaper end.  We'd have 2/3rds of our cap for a QB, EDGE, LT, CB1, and WR1.  That's a tough spot to be in if we ever want to compete.

I'd easily take a 1 and a 3, invest in the right positions, and build something more sustainable.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/5/2019 at 6:47 AM, kevinc855 said:

Adams will be back 

JD isn’t dumb enough to trade him for some lottery tickets 

+1

Trade the best player the Jets have drafted since Darrelle Revis simply because he plays Safety and he dances a little too much for some fans' liking?  Great idea. <Insert eye roll here> Imagine what this guy could do if there was anything else on this defense for opponents to worry about.  Some people wanted pass rusher Demarcus Lawrence this past offseason.  We've gotten more sacks out of our Safety than that dude.

I'm not saying don't trade Jamal regardless of compensation.  I'm just saying it would need to be compensation that is commensurate with getting a young Pro Bowl player that still has years of contract controllability (ex. more than a late 1st and another early/mid round pick)

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

The collective logic on this site makes me think everyone of the posters got dropped on their heads as a baby. Trading Jamal Adams is not only foolish, it serves no purpose. The Jets would never get what he's worth. Not to mention he serves as an ambassador to attract free agents. Do you really think CJ Mosley would have come to MY if Jamal hadn't been talking to him? There were just as many teams offering Mosley comparable money. Jamal Adams is a game changer and he also happens to be our ONLY source of pressure on the QB. So you idiots want to trade him so you draft ANOTHER DL? Brilliant logic.

 

I agree with just about everything you said but would like to see some evidence of the bolded part.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Are you willing to commit roughly 10% of the salary cap to Jamal Adams and what he brings to the table?

We're already committing a substantial percentage to Mosely and Bell.  Adding Adams to that mix means you're paying probably 1/3rd of your cap to positions most teams try to get on the cheaper end.  We'd have 2/3rds of our cap for a QB, EDGE, LT, CB1, and WR1.  That's a tough spot to be in if we ever want to compete.

I'd easily take a 1 and a 3, invest in the right positions, and build something more sustainable.

Even if you don’t want to pay him we still control him 2 years

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

+1

Trade the best player the Jets have drafted since Darrelle Revis simply because he plays Safety and he dances a little too much for some fans' liking?  Great idea. <Insert eye roll here> Imagine what this guy could do if there was anything else on this defense for opponents to worry about.  Some people wanted pass rusher Demarcus Lawrence this past offseason.  We've gotten more sacks out of our Safety than that dude.

I'm not saying don't trade Jamal regardless of compensation.  I'm just saying it would need to be compensation that is commensurate with getting a young Pro Bowl player that still has years of contract controllability (ex. more than a late 1st and another early/mid round pick)

Many jets fans remind me of some of those dynasty fantasy players that are so fixated on building for the future they never have a good team in the present.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, BroadwayJoe12 said:

Money got Mosley here, not Jamal Adams. Same like every other free agent. The only player who will attract other free agents, is a franchise QB. 

This.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trading Adams has nothing to do with Adams. The formula to win in the NFL is simple:

1. Have a top quarterback 

2. protect the quarterback 

3. disrupt their quarterback 

right now we have 1/3... trading adams would help us with #2

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A very good safety that averages 1 INt per year...

Are those things mutually exclusive?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TeddEY said:

Because we don't want to pay him a ton of money (or more importantly, a large percentage of cap space), and if you can get something of value for him, it's a good idea, rather than paying him like you paid "CJ Ghostly" or letting him walk for nothing.  Paying Mosely should be a cautionary tale, not something to repeat because Mosely, thus far, was a poor decision.

This isn't that complicated.

You pay the following

1. Franchise QB (proven production and proven durability)

2. LT (proven production and proven durability)

3. CB (proven ability to play man at elite level and proven durability)

4. Edge Rusher (proven production and proven durability)

5, Any player at any position that is a game changer and has proven durability (Adams)

The rest get market rate (median money for the position) or they don't get signed.  Any player asking for more money while still under contract can get their contract rate or sit out for the remainder of their contract if they are not happy.  If they outperform their contract, we can talk about it when they are up for renewal.  And you NEVER pay anyone top dollar unless they fit into one of the five categories above. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In a logical world, and in the Johnsons’ world (two different worlds), trading Adams for 2020 would not make sense. 

Logically, he is a great player, and even with the draft picks the Jets have, and their cap space, it is possible that Douglas can put together a team that is actually playing competitive games in December 2020 and maybe making the playoffs.   A logical team would not overpay for Adams, knowing that he will need to get paid ultimately, and knowing that he is only a SS.

From the Johnsons’ perspective, Chris already proclaimed stupidly that he wanted Adams to be a Jet for life.  They look at things season by season-they are not building a long-term contender.  Adams can add pizazz to 2020 and 2021 on his rookie contract, even if he walks ultimately as is typical with Jet 1st round draft picks (either that or bust).    They are not looking to trade Adams.

But let’s say Douglas wants to build a long-term competitor.  He wants to build an OL.  He wants OL, CB and EDGE under 4-5 year rookie contracts starting in 2020.   AND let’s say that there is a team that is desperate for Adams, who needs Adams to maybe make the Super Bowl in 2021 while their window is still slightly open.  They may need Adams on his rookie contract to make an impact, a homecoming impact. 

That desperate team may be Jerry Jones’ Cowboys.  They are the potential sucker here.  Jerry made a bet that he did not need Adams in 2019 and did not want to overpay (which could have been 2020 draft assets).  Maybe he did not want to give a coach he knew was out another player.   But not trading for Adams backfired on Jerry.  I would give him another chance to help both teams.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

The collective logic on this site makes me think everyone of the posters got dropped on their heads as a baby. Trading Jamal Adams is not only foolish, it serves no purpose. The Jets would never get what he's worth. Not to mention he serves as an ambassador to attract free agents. Do you really think CJ Mosley would have come to MY if Jamal hadn't been talking to him? There were just as many teams offering Mosley comparable money. Jamal Adams is a game changer and he also happens to be our ONLY source of pressure on the QB. So you idiots want to trade him so you draft ANOTHER DL? Brilliant logic.

 

Oh boy, what would we do without the amazing free agents Jamal brought in!

Money brought CJ Mosley here, and nothing else.  We overpaid an ILB so he came.  Jamal had absolutely zero to do with that.  Mosley hasn't so much as mentioned Jamal's name since he arrived.  Even if you think Jamal plays a role in FA signings, do you really think Jamal is going to bring in quality FA's next offseason after we finish 5-11?  Not a chance.  

We want to draft Offensive Line with the picks we get for Jamal.  You know, the unit on the field that needs replacements/upgrades at each position.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

Keep telling yourself that. It might get true of you repeat it long enough.

What evidence do you have that Jamal was the reason Mosley came here, rather than the fact that we made him the richest player on the team?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

And you don't think Douglas was in the camp that wanted to keep Ed Reed around when he was working for the Baltimore Ravens?

Ed Reed had 64 INT's and 7 TD's in his career.  Even in his worst seasons he had more INT's than Jamal has had in his career.  Keep on telling yourself Jamal belongs in that category.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, jgb said:

Even if you don’t want to pay him we still control him 2 years

Agreed.  But, I think there's a good chance he holds out.  I wouldn't necessarily blame him either.  I think this offseason is when you'd get the most re: value for him.  Though, I'm not sure we'll recreate the rumored 1 and 3 from Dallas.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, THE BARON said:

Adams is the best player on the Jets defense.  That includes C.J. Ghostly and Quinnen "on the way to being a bust" Williams as well. I don't know why any fan would not want him back.  It's not like he is cold-cocking women on elevators, electrocuting dogs or using substance.  He's an enthusiastic young player who has time to develop maturity... 

 

So your baseline for wanting an NFL player here is him not killing dogs or beating up on women?  Your standards are quite low.

The fact that Jamal is probably the best player on the Jets defense (not true when Mosley is healthy) is a statement of how bad the talent on D, not really a positive statement about Jamal.  The goal should be to get elite players at premium positions, not to keep a Box Safety at ~ $15M a year as your best or 2nd best defender.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

 Imagine what this guy could do if there was anything else on this defense for opponents to worry about.

Paying Jamal $15M a year will play a major role in preventing us from bringing in any other talented defensive players.  Mosley is already the highest paid ILB of all-time, and we're not getting out of that contract anytime soon.  If we don't trade Jamal, we're probably hamstrung with our draft picks too, in that we'd need to use our early picks on O-Line.  Thus, we wouldn't be able to use an early pick on an EDGE rusher or CB1.  

Are you truly prepared to build this defense around an ILB and Strong Safety, and going cheap at the other positions?  I'm not.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company
×
×
  • Create New...