Joe Benigno loses it and kicks Jets' beat reporter @BrianCoz off of his show

22 minutes ago, section314 said:

Just the opposite. Douglas was there when his mentor, Ozzie Newsome, bypassed Rex for the HC job, and chose Harbough. He knows Ozzie passed on Rex because he's a clown show, and probably would never even consider bring him back.

And what makes you so certain of that. Is it your brilliant intellect? 

The FACTS are the following:

1) Rex Ryan was a highly respected DC in Baltimore. His defenses were always highly ranked under his direction.

2) Rex Ryan got an interview for the HC position in Baltimore because of all the great work he'd done with the defense. 

3) He was passed over for the HC job because John Harbaugh was a better candidate. Then, Harbaugh being the smart guy he is, hired Rex as his Assistant HC and DC.

4) Rex accepted the offer to become HC of the Jets because he wanted to be a HC. There was no mention whatsoever of wanting Rex out of Baltimore. They were perfectly fine having him as their DC for as long as he wanted to stay. Rex came highly recommended by the Ravens because he'd done an excellent job as their DC.

All of your post is merely what you THINK the case is to suit your narrative because you dislike Rex Ryan. As if you're so much better off with Adam Gase and ? as your HC? LOL. All of the above are facts based on common sense and logic and not this nonsense crap you conspiracy theorists would prefer to believe.

31 minutes ago, RonaldJet said:

Mike Greenberg does a national show. It’s a totally different deal than Benigno. Both have made plenty $ and have been incredibly successful in the sports talk industry. 

Benigno like any Jets fan is frustrated by a team that has not made it to the post season in a decade. While Gase is taking more criticism than he deserves he’s also done nothing to erase the concerns of the Jets fans who did not think he was a good hire in the first place (majority of the fan base). 

So doing a local show give JB license to act like an irrational  lunatic? 

15 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I was fine with Rex as a coach, but he inherited a decent amount of talent including a very good oline with Mangold/Ferguson/woody. 

If we had Rex the last 61 games, the record wouldn't be much different than the 18-43. 

The problem with this team the last few years hasn't been coaching (which is not to excuse the coaching) it's the lack of talent. From bad QBs, bad olines, no edge rushers etc... 

We have to hope Douglas can turn things around. 

I agree with this 100%. Rex would not be boasting winning records because their drafting SUCKS. It could quite possibly be the very worst in the league. But if Rex is provided with talent he'll consistently get the most out of it. 

Just now, More Cowbell said:

I'm not talking about thebshock value which i know is what he is going for but he can at least talk like he k ows what the hell he is talking about.

I don't think he's "going for shock value".  I think he's legit a little off his rocker.  But I love that he has so much passion for the team and sometimes it boils over the way it did in that interview.  Call me crazy but I think it's kind of endearing in a way (Joe's foibles).

I'm predicting Brian Costello forgives Joe because he knows that he's unable to control himself when he really gets going.  Evan walks that tightrope on a regular basis and he's really good at it, btw.  That's why they work so well together as a team.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

He's right. 

I wouldn't have gone as far with the Rex/Tanny comment, but he's correct in his assessment of this current regime. 

It was straight foolishness to hire Gase and then let Macc do all that during the offseason. The Jets ownership deserve the disrespect they get. I'm tired of it too.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

34 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

1) Rex Ryan was a highly respected DC in Baltimore. His defenses were always highly ranked under his direction.

2) Rex Ryan got an interview for the HC position in Baltimore because of all the great work he'd done with the defense. 

3) He was passed over for the HC job because John Harbaugh was a better candidate. Then, Harbaugh being the smart guy he is, hired Rex as his Assistant HC and DC.

4) Rex accepted the offer to become HC of the Jets because he wanted to be a HC. There was no mention whatsoever of wanting Rex out of Baltimore. They were perfectly fine having him as their DC for as long as he wanted to stay. Rex came highly recommended by the Ravens because he'd done an excellent job as their DC.

All of your post is merely what you THINK the case is to suit your narrative because you dislike Rex Ryan. As if you're so much better off with Adam Gase and ? as your HC? LOL. All of the above are facts based on common sense and logic and not this nonsense crap you conspiracy theorists would prefer to believe.

No, I got the "facts" from the horse's mouth, Ozzie Newsome, in an interview he did with Mike Francessa years ago on WFAN. I'm sure it is available in their archives somewhere if you want to fact check. In the interview, Ozzie was asked point blank why he didn't hire Rex for the HC job. He said that there was always too much of a sideshow with Rex, and that he could never have him be the face of the Ravens. Since Douglas learned much of what got him to this position from Ozzie, I would say you have a better chance of being the next Jets coach than Rex does.

1 minute ago, section314 said:

No, I got the "facts" from the horse's mouth, Ozzie Newsome, in an interview he did with Mike Francessa years ago on WFAN. I'm sure it is available in their archives somewhere if you want to fact check. In the interview, Ozzie was asked point blank why he didn't hire Rex for the HC job. He said that there was always too much of a sideshow with Rex, and that he could never have him be the face of the Ravens. Since Douglas learned much of what got him to this position from Ozzie, I would say you have a better chance of being the next Jets coach than Rex does.

Ozzie was a great player and a great exec.  To be fair though, Rex had a pretty good tenure overall with the Jets.  2 AFC CGs is pretty impressive.  I don't want him back here though and I do think they waited too long to fire him.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Ozzie was a great player and a great exec.  To be fair though, Rex had a pretty good tenure overall with the Jets.  2 AFC CGs is pretty impressive.  I don't want him back here though and I do think they waited too long to fire him.

No argument. I was just debating with another poster as to why I believe Douglas would never even consider Rex in any manner whatsoever.

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

Your facts, are mostly assumptions. Just FYI.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

He's right. 

I wouldn't have gone as far with the Rex/Tanny comment, but he's correct in his assessment of this current regime. 

It was straight foolishness to hire Gase and then let Macc do all that during the offseason. The Jets ownership deserve the disrespect they get. I'm tired of it too.

While parts of the message are in fact relevant... don’t you think the message is more likely heard and taken Eric’s if delivered with composure and intelligence, rather than exasperated idiocy?

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

For Christ sake, the Jets were a freaking mess under Rex. He gave us sone good memories,  beating the Pats innthe playoffs is something i won't  soon forget but the team spiraled out of control at the end. 

17 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

For Christ sake, the Jets were a freaking mess under Rex. He gave us sone good memories,  beating the Pats innthe playoffs is something i won't  soon forget but the team spiraled out of control at the end. 

I agree that the team spiraled out of control at the end.  But 2 AFC CGs (including 4 road playoff wins, 1 at New England) is nothing to sneeze at either.  We've had far worse HCs than Rex.

3 hours ago, section314 said:

Lol. You got the facts? And those FACTS said by the horses mouth - Ozzie Newsome said (in an interview no less) that Baltimore really wanted nothing to do with Rex. That they interviewed Rex when they really didn't want to. And they never really wanted to make him Assistant HC and DC? That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard and I challenge you to provide ANYTHING even remotely close to what your post says. Your post is double CRAP that you completely made up in your own mind.

4 hours ago, SAR I said:

Yes, in 1996.  Not anymore.  He's a caricature, he's playing a role.  He used to be honest.  Now he's a corporate shill, a turnkey "angry Jets guy" because that's all Entercom wants from him.

SAR I

He is just old, crotchety, and fed up. I don't see him at all as a shill. If I got paid to be me on the radio, I'd be a little more me than usual. If that's considered being a shill, so be it. 

4 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

Highly respected? Ryan was a good DC,  but  even here, once teams had a few years of tape on him, his defense wasn't so wonderful. He never grasped you have to score points to win. Witness his end here and in Buffalo. So the fact the Ravens knew as well as anyone Ryan treated the offense like red-headed stepchildren, punched out a neighbor and had some rather ...odd....videos with the Mrs. played no role over them picking Harbaugh, a specials team coach, over Ryan, their DC? Sure! 

Having said all that, I would not put it past the Johnsons to bring back their personal Billy Martin. Know though Ryan has been out of football for a long time. Better idea, if it comes to firing Gase- get a real young and hungry guy who runs and aggressive offense. They're  out there in the college ranks and among NFL assistants.

7 hours ago, CTM said:

I dont hate it, but the idea that hes an avatar for Jets fans and a model for how they should behave is definitely an issue (despite how much entertainment I get from it here)

His portrayed relationship with the team is extremely unhealthy and I'm sure there are many beningo-lites who let this stupid team cause them legitimate emotional pain + trigger domestic issues. Hard to believe there was a time in my life were I thought i was justified in acting like an angry dick on Sunday / Monday because the Jets lost.

Yup. I’ve lived out-of-market for 20+ years. When other markets bring in someone for a Jets perspective it’s Joe or Manish. 

A hysterical, whiny idiot ... and an agenda-driving liar with zero football acumen. It’s a good look for us.

As for the last sentence: 1000000%

I never EVER want my kids to ask, “why is daddy upset?” And have the reason be this ducking miserable team.

13 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

That isn't  saying much

I think you're taking the success Rex had for granted.  Again, I know things fell apart at the end and I thought they waited too long to fire him.  But 2 AFC CGs including a road playoff win in New England is pretty darn good.

18 hours ago, SAR I said:

Beningo is a joke.  The suits see a loss, and it's "queue the angry Jets fan!" and off he goes, repeating the same "I'm gonna die bro..." shtick he's been doing since Rex Ryan left town.  He doesn't know the names of half the players.  And that Evan faker just plays along.  It's an act.  A really bad one.

Today's fakery is simple-  he's a candidate to take over for Mike Francesa whose last day was today (what a coincidence) so here he is, trying to get buzz.  He's a clown.  I don't listen to him anymore, been that way for years.

SAR I

Maybe I'm wrong but I'd be very surprised if Benigno is acting when he gets upset like that.  As for angling for Francesa's job, he's said for a long time that he pretty much can't wait to retire (though I'm sure he could be brought back at the right price).  He's been around forever.  They would know what they're getting if they hired him.  Are they really going to hire him based on some last minute theatrics?

5 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

While parts of the message are in fact relevant... don’t you think the message is more likely heard and taken Eric’s if delivered with composure and intelligence, rather than exasperated idiocy?

Sure, he could have delivered that much better, but when you get through that aspect it's hard to disagree with him, unless the disagreement is with his delivery. 

15 hours ago, T0mShane said:

If they hired McCarthy, Maccagnan is still here, probably with an extension in hand.

Not necessarily. First, he'd just been given an extension the prior offseason, so he wouldn't be due for one until January at the earliest. Second, the draft was already over so there isn't a world more damage he would have done. Some concerns about extending Leo, but after his play this year that is less likely than it'd have been a year earlier (when I considered it a lock if he got no worse and Maccagnan was still the GM). 

There's a pretty good chance that the team still stinks this year and then both McCarthy and Maccagnan have to make their "why it isn't my fault" to the owner. Fresh off dumping Bowles, I think any newcomer's opinion of Maccagnan - which is unlikely to have been a favorable one whether it's Gase or McCarthy or anyone who wasn't a first year HC - would (certainly could) have swayed a Maccagnan firing in December. 

Very possible the next GM, hired in January, wouldn't have been Douglas. He's yet to prove he's so valuable it overcomes whatever Gase's shortcomings continue to be. Or put another way, McCarthy + the GM picked with his finger on the scale may still be better than Gase + Douglas. 

I guess if Douglas is all that, then worst case is we have 2 more years of Gase. True there aren't a whole lot of HCs that would look successful with this roster (and doubt McCarthy would be one of those select few who could), and I'm still holding out hope he is a true asset as a HC once the roster isn't total dogcrap, but Gase has not earned reasons for a lot of optimism. We'll see.

13 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Not necessarily. First, he'd just been given an extension the prior offseason, so he wouldn't be due for one until January at the earliest. Second, the draft was already over so there isn't a world more damage he would have done. Some concerns about extending Leo, but after his play this year that is less likely than it'd have been a year earlier (when I considered it a lock if he got no worse and Maccagnan was still the GM). 

There's a pretty good chance that the team still stinks this year and then both McCarthy and Maccagnan have to make their "why it isn't my fault" to the owner. Fresh off dumping Bowles, I think any newcomer's opinion of Maccagnan - which is unlikely to have been a favorable one whether it's Gase or McCarthy or anyone who wasn't a first year HC - would (certainly could) have swayed a Maccagnan firing in December. 

Very possible the next GM, hired in January, wouldn't have been Douglas. He's yet to prove he's so valuable it overcomes whatever Gase's shortcomings continue to be. Or put another way, McCarthy + the GM picked with his finger on the scale may still be better than Gase + Douglas. 

I guess if Douglas is all that, then worst case is we have 2 more years of Gase. True there aren't a whole lot of HCs that would look successful with this roster (and doubt McCarthy would be one of those select few who could), and I'm still holding out hope he is a true asset as a HC once the roster isn't total dogcrap, but Gase has not earned reasons for a lot of optimism. We'll see.

Gase is on the hot seat, this fan base including myself, will be zero tolerance in 2020.

14 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

Gase is on the hot seat, this fan base including myself, will be zero tolerance in 2020.

I seriously doubt his seat is right now any warmer than body temperature. It's his first year here, coming off an offseason that he complained about enough to get the GM fired in freaking May, and then the injuries started piling up. He's safer right now than Maccagnan and Bowles were in late 2017 after back-to-back 5-win seasons, and they were both on such hot seats Chris Johnson rewarded each with contract extensions.

He is totally safe, and barring a special circumstance (similar 3-6 win failure despite good starter health and getting everything he pushed for in the offseason before it) he's safe to still be the HC in 2021 as well. It was Peyton Manning not Maccagnan who pushed for Gase so badly, and the GM will not be making pushes to fire the HC who got him the GM job in the first place. He's got friends in high enough places.

10 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

You’ve missed the point. You can go back and attempt comprehension in the second go-round, or you can continue to fire off unintelligible barbs that reveal how badly you’ve missed the point. Either way, chicken parm is delicious.

The jets are a bottom 5 roster with a bottom 5 head coach who is here to stay at least 2 more crappy years but you are mad Beningo complains

That is some point

8 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I seriously doubt his seat is right now any warmer than body temperature. It's his first year here, coming off an offseason that he complained about enough to get the GM fired in freaking May, and then the injuries started piling up. He's safer right now than Maccagnan and Bowles were in late 2017 after back-to-back 5-win seasons, and they were both on such hot seats Chris Johnson rewarded each with contract extensions.

He is totally safe, and barring a special circumstance (similar 3-6 win failure despite good starter health and getting everything he pushed for in the offseason before it) he's safe to still be the HC in 2021 as well. It was Peyton Manning not Maccagnan who pushed for Gase so badly, and the GM will not be making pushes to fire the HC who got him the GM job in the first place. He's got friends in high enough places.

In 2020 he’s going to feel the heat from the fans, and media, if this team isn’t competitive. The Johnson’s are cowards, and they will buckle. Black Monday 2020 can’t come soon enough.

The line Costello said that pissed Joe off he was absolutely right about. Joe goes as the wind blows.

After the Raider game Joe was talking about how Sam and Gase might have good chemistry together, and was basically hinting that Gase might be the right choice for HC after bashing him all the way up until the Giants game this season. Now after the loss to Cincy, he's back on the "Fire Gase" bandwagon.

I'm not arguing that Gase is a good coach. But Costello is right. It doesn't take a lot to make Joe completely change his opinion on something. 

59 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

The line Costello said that pissed Joe off he was absolutely right about. Joe goes as the wind blows.

After the Raider game Joe was talking about how Sam and Gase might have good chemistry together, and was basically hinting that Gase might be the right choice for HC after bashing him all the way up until the Giants game this season. Now after the loss to Cincy, he's back on the "Fire Gase" bandwagon.

I'm not arguing that Gase is a good coach. But Costello is right. It doesn't take a lot to make Joe completely change his opinion on something. 

What’s joe supposed to do not be happy about beating the raiders?

Costello has been a ludicrous Jet apologist 

6 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

What’s joe supposed to do not be happy about beating the raiders?

Costello has been a ludicrous Jet apologist 

That's not my point. Of course he should be happy. 

But Joe goes from saying "Gase is a horrible coach", to "maybe Gase is the right guy" after a 3 game win streak, and then after 1 loss to the Bengals, he's right back to "he's a horrible coach". He's all over the place.

Of course players/coaches can always give you a reason to change your opinions on them but Joe in particular seems to flip very quickly. Obviously Joe can have whatever opinion he wants. It's just an observation on my part.