DEPTH AT OT AND WR DRAFT CB AND EDGE EARLY?

PepPep

Lucky for the Jets this draft is deep at the OT and WR position. 

Having said that, I have been doing some draft simulators and the more I do them, the more it seems like it makes sense to go after a top CB and/or Edge rusher in the first 2 rounds and address OT and WR in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. Once we get passed the first round there is a considerable drop off in talent at Pass Rusher and CB, especially Pass Rusher. Meanwhile, there are still numerous talented WRs and OTs available in the 3rd round and the Jets have early picks in Rd. 3.

I know this board will go nuts if the Jets go defense in Round one and 2 but maybe this makes the most sense? Thoughts?

Here's just one example of a simulation I did the other day. I know its just a simulation and a lot of these prospects won't be there but its just an example.  

Rd. 1: AJ Epenesa- Edge, Iowa

Rd. 2: CJ Henderson- CB, Florida

Rd. 3:  Alaric Jackson- OT, Iowa

Rd. 3: Samuel Cosmi- OT, Texas

Rd. 4: Tommy Kraemer- OL, Notre Dame

Rd. 5: Denzel Mims- WR, Baylor

Rd. 6: Charleston Rambo- WR, Oklahoma

Rd. 7: Juan Jennings, WR, Tenn. 

Waiting until the 3rd round to address the offense is so very Jet like.  The Jets need to be drafting O line to be starters, not for depth.   Plus there is ZERO chance Mims and Jennings are available where you have them.  Epenesa and Henderson are nice, but I’d be disappointed with those selections..

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

11 hours ago, PepPep said:

Lucky for the Jets this draft is deep at the OT and WR position. 

Having said that, I have been doing some draft simulators and the more I do them, the more it seems like it makes sense to go after a top CB and/or Edge rusher in the first 2 rounds and address OT and WR in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. Once we get passed the first round there is a considerable drop off in talent at Pass Rusher and CB, especially Pass Rusher. Meanwhile, there are still numerous talented WRs and OTs available in the 3rd round and the Jets have early picks in Rd. 3.

I know this board will go nuts if the Jets go defense in Round one and 2 but maybe this makes the most sense? Thoughts?

Here's just one example of a simulation I did the other day. I know its just a simulation and a lot of these prospects won't be there but its just an example.  

Rd. 1: AJ Epenesa- Edge, Iowa

Rd. 2: CJ Henderson- CB, Florida

Rd. 3:  Alaric Jackson- OT, Iowa

Rd. 3: Samuel Cosmi- OT, Texas

Rd. 4: Tommy Kraemer- OL, Notre Dame

Rd. 5: Denzel Mims- WR, Baylor

Rd. 6: Charleston Rambo- WR, Oklahoma

Rd. 7: Juan Jennings, WR, Tenn. 

If we went defense with our first two picks I would finally walk away from this team. 

I've said this a million times but you draft to the strength of the draft, never wait for the deep positions to fall to the next round. Going into this draft with the mindset of waiting for the WR's and OT's is foolish because there will be huge runs on them. 

My philosophy is to draft to the strength of the draft early and often. If we go WR and OL with 4 of our 5 first picks I'll have a lot more faith in JD.

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

The Jets should take note of what happened when the Colts drafted their franchise quarterback then hung him out to dry with a terrible offensive line.

Douglas has the chance to turn the page on previous missteps by his predecessor and invest in Darnold. The Jets may not have a starting offensive lineman on the 2020 roster at the moment and we're talking about drafting an edge player in the first round.

Nah. Let's take the best offensive lineman in the first round and if there is the opportunity to move back into the first round to take another one, do that too.

Darnold demonstrates that he has the capacity to lead the team to scores in bunches, with a bunch of bums around him. Upgrade the talent about him and reap the rewards.

On 12/7/2019 at 5:15 PM, RobR said:

I've said this a million times but you draft to the strength of the draft, never wait for the deep positions to fall to the next round.

Essentially this. 

Too often do i see the "oh, it's a deep draft at position ______, so i'd like to wait on that and get a steal of deal in round 62... "

When has that ever worked? If the draft is strong at a couple positions of need, TAKE THEM

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Paradis said:

Essentially this. 

Too often do i see the "oh, it's a deep draft at position ______, so i'd like to wait on that and get a steal of deal in round 62... "

When has that ever worked? If the draft is strong at a couple positions of need, TAKE THEM

plus the fact that that "depth" is going to go realllll fast,  I predict a very large run on WRs in the first two rounds... Have you seen the number of teams hurting for offensive weapons this year?  You can legitimately put WR in the top 2-3 needs for almost 10 teams. 

• Sympathy 1

Let's say the Jets are sitting somewhere between 8-10 and a team (Chargers, Bucs - maybe even Mia with the 2nd of their three first rounders) - offers up a trade to jump up and take Tua or Herbert - do you make that trade and how far back are you willing to go?

It depends on how far back they would drop, but I would probably say yes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, IndianaJet said:

Let's say the Jets are sitting somewhere between 8-10 and a team (Chargers, Bucs - maybe even Mia with the 2nd of their three first rounders) - offers up a trade to jump up and take Tua or Herbert - do you make that trade and how far back are you willing to go?

I want to trade back almost no matter.  If the Jets are in the 8-10 spot I'd easily go back into the teens and maybe even to 20.  There are just so many needs and a pick in the 15-20 range could absolutely net a starting WR, a very good OT prospect or the first Center taken off the board. The Jets would then presumably have two picks in Round 2 (there's and the team who traded up) and two in Round 3 (there's and the Giants).

Having 5 picks in the top 75 of the Draft is absolutely how you kickstart this rebuild.

OT, WR, Center, Edge, CB....and we'd still have 4 rounds to go to grab some OG prospect(s) and double up at CB and/or WR.  Heck, I might even use a 7th rounder on a Kicker.