Sign in to follow this  
RonaldJet

What were the five worst moves in the McCagnan era?

Obviously the full story hasn’t been written yet, but five years from now when we are looking back at it what do you think the list will look like?

1) Drafting Christian Hackenberg in the 2nd round: Not only did they blow a 2nd round pick on a kid who couldn’t play, but it was compounded by the fact that he didn’t draft Watson/Mahomes in large part because of blind hope that Hackenberg would develop. 

2) Trading up for Sam Darnold: To be fair I supported the trade and was happy to select Sam at three at the time of the draft. Hindsight 20-20 this was a bad move. The Jets were not in any position forfeit draft capital given the state of the roster, and Darnold does not look like he’s going to develop into a top tier QB worthy of the draft haul given up unfortunately. 

3) Drafting Quinnen Williams: It’s early in Quinnens career, but does anyone honestly believe he’s going to all off a sudden develop a pass rushing element to his game? He’s getting outplayed by UDFAs and 6th round draft picks. 

4) Darron Lee, Devin Smith, Jachai Polite, Lorenzo Mauldin, Ardarius Stewart, Chad Hansen: Throw sh*t at the wall and hope it sticks type drafting 

5) Not addressing OL in the draft: The Jets consistently allocated more $ to the OL than any other team in the league under McCagnan. Instead of paying top dollar for lousy players (Beachum, Carpenter, Winters, Wesley Johnson, Spencer Long, Willie Colon) he should have addressed this need at the top of the draft. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 10
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Trumaine Johnson is probably #1.

I can’t kill him for that or the Wilkerson signing. The Jets had a ton of cap space available, and had to use it somewhere. Bad free agent signings are caused by bad drafting. 

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

2)  He did not trade up for Sam Darnold.  This was wrong when the trade happened and is wrong now.  He traded up before the draft to get the #3 pick which could have been any number of players.

It turned into Sam Darnold so what’s your point? They were obviously only going to draft one of the four QBs. 

• Thumb Down 1

His philosophy of only drafting OL in the later rounds directly lead to mistakes 1, 3,  most of 4, and 5 as outlined by the OP!

• Upvote 4

22 minutes ago, RonaldJet said:

It turned into Sam Darnold so what’s your point? They were obviously only going to draft one of the four QBs. 

Whats my point?  I'd say the point is obvious, your list was totally incorrect.  You said they traded up for Darnold which was wrong and proceeded to dis Darnold.

• Upvote 4

Keeping Mac when we hired Bowles has to be #1. Everything he did on the job is #2. 3 thru 5 would just be redundant.

Realizing it’s not workBig, then taking half-measures to fix it is a far bigger blunder than letting the guy do his job and it ending up that he did it poorly. It took a situation that needed fixing and turned fixing it from a 2 year project to a 5 year project.

36 minutes ago, RonaldJet said:

5) Not addressing OL in the draft: The Jets consistently allocated more $ to the OL than any other team in the league under McCagnan. Instead of paying top dollar for lousy players (Beachum, Carpenter, Winters, Wesley Johnson, Spencer Long, Willie Colon) he should have addressed this need at the top of the draft. 

I get that we wanted more linemen in the draft, but they did not play top dollar for any of those guys.  They were mid-tier free agents.  Carpenter was actually a decent signing, even if he did run out of gas.  Wesley Johnson got borderline minimum, as did Colon.  Beachum is a bargain, even if he is at best a mid to lower tier LT. 

30 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

How do you choose just five?

When number 4 and 5 are general "draft philosophy" it is a little easier.

29 minutes ago, RonaldJet said:

I can’t kill him for that or the Wilkerson signing. The Jets had a ton of cap space available, and had to use it somewhere. Bad free agent signings are caused by bad drafting. 

You can't?  He paid a gazillion guys that can't play at all.  Trumaine Johnson was benched at least twice in two years - by a team starting Darryl Roberts, Bless Austin and Arthur Maulet.  The WIlkerson signing wasn't as bad, but the way it was done might have been worse.   Don't extend him, wait until he plays out his 5th year option, tag him, then extend him for a huge deal after he breaks his leg?  After all that, how could they be so wrong on what the player had left in the tank? 

48 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

2)  He did not trade up for Sam Darnold.  This was wrong when the trade happened and is wrong now.  He traded up before the draft to get the #3 pick which could have been any number of players.

it was only a wrong move if you consider that he passed on watson and mahommes.  by the time the 2018 draft rolled around he had no choice but to try for one of the qb's.  this is more a case of bad past moves dictating what the future moves need to be.

1 minute ago, rangerous said:

it was only a wrong move if you consider that he passed on watson and mahommes.  by the time the 2018 draft rolled around he had no choice but to try for one of the qb's.  this is more a case of bad past moves dictating what the future moves need to be.

Again you need to take into account if Mahomes would be successful here?  He is talented but let’s be honest he went to a very good team..that helps tremendously. Mark Sanchez went to back to back AFC title games 

Signing johnson, and drafting hackenburg we're his two biggest errors. I think it's unfair to get on him for Devin Smith and Mauldin. Those picks made sense at the time. They just couldn't stay healthy. Not anyone's fault.

• Upvote 1

Just now, genot said:

Signing johnson, and drafting hackenburg we're his two biggest errors. I think it's unfair to get on him for Devin Smith and Mauldin. Those picks made sense at the time. They just couldn't stay healthy. Not anyone's fault.

Good Fair post.  No doubt the Trumaine Johnson contract was terrible even at the time it was a massive overpay.  Hackenburg was a total waste over a high pick I agree.  Some other moves I liked but didn’t work because of unfortunate injuries like Devin Smith

Just now, Matt39 said:

Also bringing back Revis was a colossal disaster

Again. Unfair to Mac. It was the owner who insisted on bringing Revis back. I'm not sure i disagree with that either. An all time great Jet player. Bring him back, let him retire a Jet, and be done with it.

1 hour ago, RonaldJet said:

Obviously the full story hasn’t been written yet, but five years from now when we are looking back at it what do you think the list will look like?

1) Drafting Christian Hackenberg in the 2nd round: Not only did they blow a 2nd round pick on a kid who couldn’t play, but it was compounded by the fact that he didn’t draft Watson/Mahomes in large part because of blind hope that Hackenberg would develop. 

2) Trading up for Sam Darnold: To be fair I supported the trade and was happy to select Sam at three at the time of the draft. Hindsight 20-20 this was a bad move. The Jets were not in any position forfeit draft capital given the state of the roster, and Darnold does not look like he’s going to develop into a top tier QB worthy of the draft haul given up unfortunately. 

3) Drafting Quinnen Williams: It’s early in Quinnens career, but does anyone honestly believe he’s going to all off a sudden develop a pass rushing element to his game? He’s getting outplayed by UDFAs and 6th round draft picks. 

4) Darron Lee, Devin Smith, Jachai Polite, Lorenzo Mauldin, Ardarius Stewart, Chad Hansen: Throw sh*t at the wall and hope it sticks type drafting 

The bolded is the only one I have issue with.  He got lucky Darnold dropped.  Until we get Sam some some protection we are screwed.  I wanted Deshaun Watson and Baker Mayfield.  I fear USC and Ohio St. players because of our bad history.

Still think Sam will be good for us with a new HC and a new OL.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, genot said:

Mauldin was a slug. He never had a chance, healthy or not.

Just now, dbatesman said:

Mauldin was a slug. He never had a chance, healthy or not.

he had 4 or 5 sacks the last part of his rookie year. Considering we're he was pickled, it wasn't a reach. Hackenburg was a gross reach by Mac. that was a bad pick. Can't defend it. You can defend the Mauldin pick. I respect your view though.

• Haha 1

You try to come up with a list of Macc's 5 worst moves and #2 (huh?) and #3 (too early) are on the list?!  #5 should be #1 or #2.

Above all of the ills of mccagnan you can place the CJohnson for not firing him when he fired bowles and  letting him have one last draft and fa period to screw the jets for a few more years.  All the ills of this franchise can be traced to the top of the food chain.

• Upvote 4

51 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

Again you need to take into account if Mahomes would be successful here?  He is talented but let’s be honest he went to a very good team..that helps tremendously. Mark Sanchez went to back to back AFC title games 

of course.  but here's the thing.  if mac was competent then he would've drafted mahommes and also would've beefed up the oline and not draft guys like lee or even leo.  he certainly would've sent hack packing even if he did draft him.  competent GM's don't keep the slugs around.

While I obviously want the jets to win a Super Bowl, I also want to be entertained as much as possible - including a lot of the minutia that gets discussed on the board, the draft, etc.  What makes this year so disappointing is that it has literally sapped the entertainment out of the season more then any other I can remember and its takes like this that make it so brutal.

You think trading up in a draft that had 4 excellent QB prospects and winding up with Sam Darnold was a huge mistake? And on top of that you really think you know that the kid is a bust after 20 or so games and before he has turned 23 years old?  Good for you.

Aside from that awful take, the thread is pretty interesting.

I think Mac's biggest mistakes are bigger picture things/philosophies.  

1.  He never had a certain type of player he targeted.  Big school/small school.  Good character/bad character.  Good athletes/more "effort" type players.  If you always target a certain type of player, you will hit on some just by math.  If you never follow a pattern you put yourself in a position to miss on everyone which he did.  Having Leo not be elite is one thing, as he was a good pro player, but having multiple 3/4th rounders out of the league entirely is beyond horrendous and indicative of not having a philosophy.

2.  Mac also let the 2015 season go to his head and should have torn everything down after that year, rather then allow a player like Ryan Fitzpatrick to hold the team hostage even though it should have been clear to anyone in the building that we had a weak schedule and needed younger talent.

Good GMs have a plan and every decision is made with that plan in mind.  Mac looked at each pick and each decision as if they were independent events, rather then part of an overall process.  He had no ability whatsoever to see the draft board - trading up and down with no apparent reason why.  All those decisions are what lead you to make mistakes in FA and the draft

• Upvote 2

55 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Above all of the ills of mccagnan you can place the CJohnson for not firing him when he fired bowles and  letting him have one last draft and fa period to screw the jets for a few more years.  All the ills of this franchise can be traced to the top of the food chain.

Totally obvious the guy is an idiot, had no connections throughout the league (management had to have known that, in time), can't Draft, clueless how to coherently build a team......yeah, give him ANOTHER draft...5TH TIME will be a charm.

Worst, least intelligent Owners in the NFL....Jets deserve to be exactly where they are.

Pure shame that hedge fund guy couldn't buy the Jets along with the Mets (which was a real nice surprise).  There should be some kind of Rule that when around 90% of a team's fan base Hates its Owners, they be forced to sell.

• Upvote 1