Sign in to follow this  
RonaldJet

What were the five worst moves in the McCagnan era?

1) Not drafting OL

2) Hackenberg

3) Resigning Muhammad Wilkerson

4) Darron Lee

5) Devin Smith

P.S. You could go on forever. Mac might be as bad at drafting as Idzik was.

• Upvote 2

I still fault the competitive rebuild in 2015 the most.  Pretty much everything that got him exec of the year considerations.

How to tank a rebuild before it even begins...  sign aging, massively overpriced, locker room cancers to long deals all the while ignoring youth, cap discipline and chemistry.  Great work!

• Upvote 1

In no particular order:

• Tru
  • Hack
  • Handling of OL
  • Handling of Edge (polite gets grouped in here).
  • WR draft picks (Hansen, Stewart, Smith)

I agree with all your comments except the remarks about Sam Darnold.  First, I think he has played well under extremely difficult circumstances and has shown that he could be a first class QB capable of taking the Jets to the Promised Land.  Second, you have to give young QBs time to learn and acclimate themselves to the NFL.  I watched Joe Namath develop.  It took time for him, too.  But I guess you probably think drafting Joe Namath was a mistake.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

1) Not drafting OL

2) Hackenberg

3) Resigning Muhammad Wilkerson

4) Darron Lee

5) Devin Smith

P.S. You could go on forever. Mac might be as bad at drafting as Idzik was.

OMG I forgot Trumaine Johnson? I guess I'd take Devin Smith off the list and place the TJ signing at number 4, push Darron Lee to number 5? The problem is there's so many f*ck ups Mac made that selecting just 5 just doesn't tell the whole story.

• Upvote 1

1) Drafting Christian Hackenberg in the 2nd round: Not only did they blow a 2nd round pick on a kid who couldn’t play, but it was compounded by the fact that he didn’t draft Watson/Mahomes in large part because of blind hope that Hackenberg would develop. 

I don’t mind the decision to draft hackenberg if you felt so strong about him, sometimes you swing for the fences. My problem with this move is 
1 How could you be just so wrong about a player and 
2 after a year of seeing him how could he effect your next years draft 
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, fullblast said:

So I guess we've officially turned on Darnold.

Not me.  

1) LT

2) LG

3) C

4) RG

5) RT

Honorable mention: Inability to draft well, to game the draft, to target value free agents, to optimally allocate free agency resources.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1
  • Post of the Week 1

16 minutes ago, Anthony Jet said:

1) Drafting Christian Hackenberg in the 2nd round: Not only did they blow a 2nd round pick on a kid who couldn’t play, but it was compounded by the fact that he didn’t draft Watson/Mahomes in large part because of blind hope that Hackenberg would develop. 

I don’t mind the decision to draft hackenberg if you felt so strong about him, sometimes you swing for the fences. My problem with this move is 
1 How could you be just so wrong about a player and 
2 after a year of seeing him how could he effect your next years draft 

Sack of sh*t Maccagnan REFUSED to own his mistake, and then the following year he tried playing it off as though Hackenberg actually had a future by drafting a Safety with the 6th pick in the Nation, when in reality the Jet roster was screaming for a QB.

The best part I think was when the Jets were mathematically eliminated in Hackenberg's 2nd year and reporters were asking Bowles why the hell he was still running Fitzpatrick out there and he angrily would not give a good answer (have to commend Bowles though in never wanting Hackenberg in the first place).  Maccagnan was probably under his desk with the door locked, staying away from answering why Hackenberg would not be given a single solitary snap in another lost season.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1
  • Post of the Week 1

5 that come to mind -

Allowing CJ to talk him into Gase

Allowing Bowles to talk him into re-signing Fitz

Tru

Kelechi

Easily swayed by coaches when it came to any picks after round 1

• Haha 1

How can you even pick? Draft record was awful, Hackenberg stands out. His big contracts  (Revis, Tru, Wilkerson) ended up terrible. Neglected the OL and edge. His entire tenure was a train wreck. He is one of the worst GMs in the history of the league. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Must be slow news day . More recycled takes 

Macc On a beach somewhere on his 4th cup coffee for the day. Enjoying his millions.

4 hours ago, JTJet said:

1- Trumaine Johnson (and it's not even close)

2- Drafting Lee/Hackenburg back to back. 

3- Ignoring OL for years

4- Letting Demario Davis walk in FA

5- Drafting Quinnen Williams.

Trading up for Sam Darnold belongs nowhere near this conversation, that's simply trolling. Out of 13,000 mistakes Mac made and you want to put him on a top 5? GTFO 😂

This list is fairly accurate.....   I would say while I LOVE Jamal, a team with NO QB can’t draft a safety when 2 top 10 QBs are on the board. So... NOT drafting Mahommes or Watson is in my view number one because caused us to lose 3 seconds to fix it and Watson or Mahommes look like they are as good a pick if not better than Sam. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, rangerous said:

it was only a wrong move if you consider that he passed on watson and mahommes.  by the time the 2018 draft rolled around he had no choice but to try for one of the qb's.  this is more a case of bad past moves dictating what the future moves need to be.

@Beerfish didn't say it was a wrong move.  He said it was wrong to say he traded up for Darnold.  He traded up for the 3rd pick with no idea who would go 1 and 2.  We could easily be trying to rationalize ending up with Rosen. 

4 hours ago, genot said:

Signing johnson, and drafting hackenburg we're his two biggest errors. I think it's unfair to get on him for Devin Smith and Mauldin. Those picks made sense at the time. They just couldn't stay healthy. Not anyone's fault.

Unfair to get on him for Mauldin? Like Polite, his speed and agility numbers indicated that he would be unable to play in the NFL.  He can't play in the NFL.  This should not shock anyone.  Undersized with a 4.85 40 and 7.47 cone?  Very few guys that can  rush the passer ever time above 7.20.  He is a slug.

I understand giving him a bit of a pass for taking a swing for a pass rusher or QB.  If you want an example of a move that had no rational explanation, I submit:  Not cutting Breno Giacomini before the 2016 season.  They kept him to hedge Brandon Shell.  He started the season on the PUP list.  They activated him, he played 5 games and then was put on the IR.  He was a substandard RT, who barely beat out Qvale the year before.  How do you pay that guy?  Look at his career earnings - 6 years in Seattle for $8M, 2 1/2 years in NY for $14M. 

A similar joke was the contract for Cromartie.  The Jets let him walk for 2014.  He got 1 year with the Cards for $4M.  Maccagnan signs him back in 2015 to what amounted to team options for multiple years at $8M per.  He sucked and walks for 2016, getting $3M in 2016 and not lasting the season.   WTF?  I submit that is worse than all the money they paid Revis for the 2nd stint.  At least Revis could still play for 1 year of his contract.   

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, fullblast said:

So I guess we've officially turned on Darnold.

Darnold is going to be here next year much like Gase. While I’m pretty confident both aren’t the answer they will have a year to change my mind.

1 hour ago, TMAC said:

I agree with all your comments except the remarks about Sam Darnold.  First, I think he has played well under extremely difficult circumstances and has shown that he could be a first class QB capable of taking the Jets to the Promised Land.  Second, you have to give young QBs time to learn and acclimate themselves to the NFL.  I watched Joe Namath develop.  It took time for him, too.  But I guess you probably think drafting Joe Namath was a mistake.

Darnold has been awful. How anyone watch him play and not come to conclusion is unbelievable. 

• Butt Fumble 1

5 hours ago, RonaldJet said:

Obviously the full story hasn’t been written yet, but five years from now when we are looking back at it what do you think the list will look like?

1) Drafting Christian Hackenberg in the 2nd round: Not only did they blow a 2nd round pick on a kid who couldn’t play, but it was compounded by the fact that he didn’t draft Watson/Mahomes in large part because of blind hope that Hackenberg would develop. 

2) Trading up for Sam Darnold: To be fair I supported the trade and was happy to select Sam at three at the time of the draft. Hindsight 20-20 this was a bad move. The Jets were not in any position forfeit draft capital given the state of the roster, and Darnold does not look like he’s going to develop into a top tier QB worthy of the draft haul given up unfortunately. 

3) Drafting Quinnen Williams: It’s early in Quinnens career, but does anyone honestly believe he’s going to all off a sudden develop a pass rushing element to his game? He’s getting outplayed by UDFAs and 6th round draft picks. 

4) Darron Lee, Devin Smith, Jachai Polite, Lorenzo Mauldin, Ardarius Stewart, Chad Hansen: Throw sh*t at the wall and hope it sticks type drafting 

5) Not addressing OL in the draft: The Jets consistently allocated more $ to the OL than any other team in the league under McCagnan. Instead of paying top dollar for lousy players (Beachum, Carpenter, Winters, Wesley Johnson, Spencer Long, Willie Colon) he should have addressed this need at the top of the draft. 

south park beat a dead horse GIF

• Upvote 1

Just now, #27TheDominator said:

@Beerfish didn't say it was a wrong move.  He said it was wrong to say he traded up for Darnold.  He traded up for the 3rd pick with no idea who would go 1 and 2.  We could easily be trying to rationalize ending up with Rosen. 

Unfair to get on him for Mauldin? Like Polite, his speed and agility numbers indicated that he would be unable to play in the NFL.  He can't play in the NFL.  This should not shock anyone.  Undersized with a 4.85 40 and 7.47 cone?  Very few guys that can  rush the passer ever time above 7.20.  He is a slug.

I understand giving him a bit of a pass for taking a swing for a pass rusher or QB.  If you want an example of a move that had no rational explanation, I submit:  Not cutting Breno Giacomini before the 2016 season.  They kept him to hedge Brandon Shell.  He started the season on the PUP list.  They activated him, he played 5 games and then was put on the IR.  He was a substandard RT, who barely beat out Qvale the year before.  How do you pay that guy?  Look at his career earnings - 6 years in Seattle for $8M, 2 1/2 years in NY for $14M. 

A similar joke was the contract for Cromartie.  The Jets let him walk for 2014.  He got 1 year with the Cards for $4M.  Maccagnan signs him back in 2015 to what amounted to team options for multiple years at $8M per.  He sucked and walks for 2016, getting $3M in 2016 and not lasting the season.   WTF?  I submit that is worse than all the money they paid Revis for the 2nd stint.  At least Revis could still play for 1 year of his contract.   

If what people say is true about Douglas, you'll be very disapointed. it isn't all about metrics. Every scouting report reads the same. Polite busted because he was an irresponsible head case, who seemed disinterested in the sport he was playing. Nothing similar, other than the metrics.https://www.milehighreport.com/2015/4/16/8395993/2015-nfl-draft-scouting-lorenzo-mauldin-louisville-outside-linebacker/comment/300394654

I wasn’t a big Mahomes guy tbh but not drafting him when they needed a QB should probably be #1. Hindsight and all but an NFL GM makes millions and has all the resources to make the right or wrong decision. His negligence of the OL his entire stay is up there too. Guy was suppose to be a top scout and was one of the worst drafting GMs ever. It’s embarrassing. 

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, HessStation said:

I wasn’t a big Mahomes guy tbh but not drafting him when they needed a QB should probably be #1. Hindsight and all but an NFL GM makes millions and has all the resources to make the right or wrong decision. His negligence of the OL his entire stay is up there too. Guy was suppose to be a top scout and was one of the worst drafting GMs ever. It’s embarrassing. 

But remember, he was actually about to be a FIRED Scout in Houston.  Jets have the ONLY owner in the league who not only would hire that sack of sh*t but also Up him to GM.

7 hours ago, RonaldJet said:

) Drafting Christian Hackenberg in the 2nd round: Not only did they blow a 2nd round pick on a kid who couldn’t play, but it was compounded by the fact that he didn’t draft Watson/Mahomes in large part because of blind hope that Hackenberg would develop. 

This was the worst move in the McCagnon era.  The reason it was so bad was that Hackenburg was regarded by many to be a reach before the draft, and we reached for him in the 2n round.  A 6th round pick was where I thought he should have went, but we wasted a valuable 2nd round pick for him.

Question should have been  Did McCagnan Make Any Good Decisions ???

I cant think of a single thing he did that stands out as a good move short of Darnold, and that was more a matter of circumstances than anything else.

• Upvote 1

Beyond his drafts, re-signing Revis for a bazillion dollars should be up there in the Top 5.  

Trying to narrow down 5 bad Macagnan moves is like trying to narrow down 5 favorite vacation spots in Europe 

18 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

OMG I forgot Trumaine Johnson? I guess I'd take Devin Smith off the list and place the TJ signing at number 4, push Darron Lee to number 5? The problem is there's so many f*ck ups Mac made that selecting just 5 just doesn't tell the whole story.

Don't forget about Polite. Lol dude lasted no time for a 3rd round pick lol worst pick ever...

• Like 1

Stopped reading this thread at #2.

Not only was that a great move for this franchise but to put it up as one of the worst with probably the worst GM this franchise has ever seen in absurd - that was quite possibly the worst post ever on this board - and that is truly saying something.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

24:25:31

• Upvote 2

22 hours ago, Jets723 said:

Most haven’t.  However there is a certain percentage that has never been a fan of his or had turned on him which is crazy 😂 

I honestly have no idea what those people see as these huge negatives against Sam. 14 in 1 thinks that HALF of his throws are terrible. It's bizarre, he's had a few really bad games, but has learned from them and if you truly look at Sam and think he is a bad QB, its just confounding to me.

Macs top 5 with a note that his complete disregard of OL led to many of his more stuipid mistakes

1. Hackenburg

2. Not selecting Mahomes or Watson

3. Drafting Q Willams

4. Johnson

5. Resigning Mo

I could literally list 20 more almost as bad as above.