Rumor That Jerry Jones Wants Urban Meyer for Cowboy HC

Jerry needs to step down and let his head coach do his job. He's been undermining his coaches since Jimmy Johnson left. Jerry has a humungous ego and want to win the Super Bowl so he can be credited in NFL history as the first owner/GM to pick the players and coach to win the Super Bowl. He wants recognition something, he didn't get when Jimmy Johnson won those Super Bowls.

4 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Why not? Cowboys have a great roster. Their drafting is completely superior to the Jets as an example. Meyer is an excellent coach and many people claim that the HC is the only thing holding the Cowboys back?

Meyer has the opportunity in college to build a roster at a school that has the prestige to draw the best recruits from high school. There is no parity between schools. His entire system is built around getting good players and exploiting talent mismatches. He is the king of the castle and has no GM to persuade to pick the players he wants. Players are out in five years tops so there is no risk some superstar player can override his authority. 

No NFL coach has that kind of opportunity--not even in NE. 

1 hour ago, rex-n-effect said:

Meyer has the opportunity in college to build a roster at a school that has the prestige to draw the best recruits from high school. There is no parity between schools. His entire system is built around getting good players and exploiting talent mismatches. He is the king of the castle and has no GM to persuade to pick the players he wants. Players are out in five years tops so there is no risk some superstar player can override his authority. 

No NFL coach has that kind of opportunity--not even in NE. 

Jerry Jones had his greatest success with exactly this type of thing.  And he gave that college HC a 10 year contract.

Meyer has a really thin skin or at least that's the impression of him.  He'd have a hard time with the brutal media and spoiled fans in the NFL, especially in a high profile job like Dallas.  If it was Jacksonville or Carolina, I might think it was plausible or could work

On 12/8/2019 at 9:42 PM, Fibonacci said:

College coaches rarely work out in NFL. Saban failed. No guarantee that Meyer will be any different.  

I hear you but I'd absolutely take my chances on Urban.  Especially considering how important offense is in the NFL these days.

If we didn't just sign Joe D to a 6 year deal, I'd give Urban the Jon Gruden contract if that's what it took to get him here.  I'd still give him a 10 year deal at crazy money to coach us.