Gase and Darnold are not a match

Just now, HawkeyeJet said:

I am not trying to place blame on one more than another.  Both have plenty of blame to take for today and in general for the struggles this season.

It is absolutely 100% clear to me that Gase wants a strictly straight drop back passer.  Someone that scans the field, sits in the pocket and deals from there.  Just like Manning.  

That isn't Darnold and it never is going to be. That is also clear to me.  Just like Tannehill.  

This situation right now is why our ownership group and org structure is dumb.  The owners know they needed to hire someone to aid Darnold.  Instead, they hired a guy that really doesn't want a QB like him, and doesn't want to adapt his system to suit what he has.

I don't know if Darnold will ever be the guy.  Might not be.  Darnold and Gase will never be the combo though.

I missed most  the game today. How’d Sam look?

I don't know. There were plenty of receivers open today. Sam just kept missing them. The Jets should have won this game comfortably. This was one of Sam's worse performances. At least he came to win it though. But overall, this was just a bad performance accuracy wise for him. His accuracy was off not just with deep passes too. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I am not trying to place blame on one more than another.  Both have plenty of blame to take for today and in general for the struggles this season.

It is absolutely 100% clear to me that Gase wants a strictly straight drop back passer.  Someone that scans the field, sits in the pocket and deals from there.  Just like Manning.  

That isn't Darnold and it never is going to be. That is also clear to me.  Just like Tannehill.  

This situation right now is why our ownership group and org structure is dumb.  The owners know they needed to hire someone to aid Darnold. They thought they did. Instead, they hired a guy that really doesn't want a QB like him, and doesn't want to adapt his system to suit what he has.

I don't know if Darnold will ever be the guy.  Might not be.  Darnold and Gase will never be the combo though.

Excellent post.  I totally agree.

And Gase just stubbornly let Darnold get wrecked in a “pocket” that NEVER existed after Darnold beat Dallas.  It wasn’t until Darnold asked Gase to let him play his game that Gase finally gave in (probably finally thought, give in or lose EVERY game).

I thought today was one of Darnold’s worst games as a pro.  Did not like what I saw at all.

I don’t think Gase is a good mentor for Darnold at all.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

27 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I mean if all of this stuff needs to be done to "aid" Darnold maybe he's just not the guy. The Dolphins have a historically bad defense and Darnold looked bad again today. The game on Thursday could break him.

This is where I view things differently than most Darnold detractors I guess. 

Your way you just described is one way to look at it.  You very well could be right.  

However, I think Gase actually accentuates his weaknesses instead of accentuating his strengths.

For example, the past 8 weeks or so, every single team utilizes A gap blitzes a TON against the Jets for obvious reasons.

The Jets response to this?  I don't really know to be honest.  I do know however they still use a LOT of PA from middle ISO run looks which puts the QBs back to the defense and the ensuing pressure, which only speeds up the decision making process even more.  It's small stuff like that where I scratch my head. 

With such a crappy running game, crappy line, and QB who is still developing reading defenses, why do we rely on that so much?   The answer is because that is what Gase knows and what Gase likes.  But it just doesn't fit any part of what this team has in place.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

MIKE SHANAHAN 

Ya know, the guy who coached up Kyle since he was a guppy and has spent the last 3 years advising the 49ers.

Like I’ve said for the last year and change, I don’t give a rats dick if he’s in his 60’s.

So is Belichick. So is Carrol. So is Reid.

This was the move to make. Throw the bank at a legit offensive genius who has proven to adapt to a QB’s strengths and pumped out 1,000 yard rushers by the truckload.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

19 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I mean if all of this stuff needs to be done to "aid" Darnold maybe he's just not the guy. The Dolphins have a historically bad defense and Darnold looked bad again today. The game on Thursday could break him.

be careful you can't criticize sam darnold around here, you'll get down voted to oblivion. We need to keep giving him excuses and more excuses I mean he's the second coming of Brett Favre.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

This situation right now is why our ownership group and org structure is dumb.  The owners know they needed to hire someone to aid Darnold. They thought they did. Instead, they hired a guy that really doesn't want a QB like him, and doesn't want to adapt his system to suit what he has.

Maybe Gase is smarter than you think? If Sam's weakness is as a drop-back passer than maybe he needs more live-action doing that? if you only play to his strengths those weaknesses will remain. Maybe the struggles this year are making him a more well-rounded quarterback? Just a little optimism. We already know that Sam is really good at rolling out and as a play-action passer. You couldn't add that to Peyton Manning's game but you can add dropping back into Darnold.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

6 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

MIKE SHANAHAN 

Ya know, the guy who coached up Kyle since he was a guppy and has spent the last 3 years advising the 49ers.

Like I’ve said for the last year and change, I don’t give a rats dick if he’s in his 60’s.

So is Belichick. So is Carrol. So is Reid.

This was the move to make. Throw the bank at a legit offensive genius who has proven to adapt to a QB’s strengths and pumped out 1,000 yard rushers by the truckload.

I have said the same thing and the Jets and some of the fans out here act like Gase is even in the same discussion as Shannahan when he isn’t even close!

Our lines would be better and our run game would be better and our QB would be better,it is simple as that  

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

This is exactly why my first option was taking a risk (stale playbook and all) on Mike McCarthy, in hopes that a previously successful coach could re-create an Aaron Rodgers-like situation with Darnold considering how their play styles are similar.

• Upvote 3

49 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Very up and down.  Had a really bad int.  Missed a handful of open throws.  Looked rattled for the most part.  Did make a handful of plays too.  Very uneven.  That would be my take at least.

He got 2 TDs, and 2 FG drives in the 4th qtr one to get ahead once, and then one to win the game after Fitz got ahead. Not sure what game you guys are watching, but I felt that was the way we needed him to basically pull out the game.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, UnknownJetFan said:

He got 2 TDs, and 2 FG drives in the 4th qtr one to get ahead once, and then one to win the game after Fitz got ahead. Not sure what game you guys are watching, but I felt that was the way we needed him to basically pull out the game.

I'm not blasting the guy.  If anything, and my track record clearly would show, I like him as a player.  

However, it does no good to ignore he's very inconsistent and was so today.  Every QB misses throws, but he missed a few crucial ones today.  The INT was a very bad play.  Those were the downs.  He also made some very good plays and lead us to the win.  Those are the good.  He continues to grow and I have no problem with that.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1