Sam Darnold in the second half of the season

slimjasi

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Darnold was awful today.

A good qb would have won that game by 3 tds.

True... but every QB is allowed an off day... if you watch most elite QB's in this league they miss many makeable passes a game... Sam Won & Hopefully he'll put this effort behind him & Improve on it.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

I like Sam but he was dreadful in the second half today.

I guess a cleat to the throwing hand can be a little painful. 

This reminds me of a time when my riding instructor who fell off her horse in competition , got trampled by him and got her hand stepped on with the horseshoe stud (exactly same purpose as cleats) which dug into and cut a  tendon. She could not bend the middle and ring finger for months and then had to endure agonizing PT to regain use of it. 

I was surprised he could throw at all. I guess I’m just a wuss. 

37 minutes ago, roscoeword said:

He never runs for yardage. To be a great qb in this league, you have to do it once in a while. Maybe he's hurt.

That I find very weird. Last week it worked out, this week it didn’t. It’s slmost like someone has told him not to. 

2 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Darnold was awful today.

A good qb would have won that game by 3 tds.

He wasn’t awful be a little fair. I was at the game. He was uneven.  He had a solid first half but was inconsistent in the second half.  He would make a nice play but then made a questionable throw or an overthrow

• Sympathy 1

Darnold had a couple of really good games the second half of the season. Raiders and Giants I think. He's been ok I guess the last couple of weeks. 

When you watch him play do you feel like he's progressing? It seems to me that he's missing a lot of throws that he used to make effortlessly and not going through his progressions consistently.

I don't know. I still believe he can be a really good QB for us but I have concerns.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, nico002 said:

This fan base is atrocious. They haven’t had a QB in 60 years but they can’t tolerate anything but perfection when a 22 year old stud lands on their laps... the kid threw for 270, 2 TDs, and a game winning drive... without Bell or a TE on the field. Was it his best game? Of course not, but this one goes in the positive column for ANY QB in the NFL

1 hour ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Last year Darnold had a 57pct Comp pct. This year it's at 63pct

Last year Darnold had a 77QBRating, this year its at 84. 

Last year Darnold was 4-9 as a starter, this year he is 5-5. 

And I don't expect to hear from you again in this thread.....

And a WORSE OL than last year.  Tough to believe...yet True.

Virtually Impossible to evaluate Darnold...STILL.

That’s why you have to trust what you see when you see him hit certain throws many QBs in the league can not....and have Hope.

He is still FAR from a finished product.

1 hour ago, Xtina said:

I guess a cleat to the throwing hand can be a little painful. 

This reminds me of a time when my riding instructor who fell off her horse in competition , got trampled by him and got her hand stepped on with the horseshoe stud (exactly same purpose as cleats) which dug into and cut a  tendon. She could not bend the middle and ring finger for months and then had to endure agonizing PT to regain use of it. 

I was surprised he could throw at all. I guess I’m just a wuss. 

Well, a horse is a lot heavier than a human.

With the exceptions of Vince Wilfork and @The Crusher

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, shevys said:

Isn’t leading your team downfield for the game winning drive “getting better”? Sure he had a mediocre day but he got the results when it mattered most. Establishing a winning culture even when not at your best is at least as important as Darnold’s development. 

And it could’ve been worse. I’m sure you saw how your boy in Cleveland played today. 

You want to be glass half full, that’s ok. I don’t.

If it wasn’t for the huge break with the pi call from the  ny office, (almost never happens) Darnold is picking himself up after a sack looking at 4th and 17; and an almost certain loss. Sorry, he wasn’t impressive today at all.

Neither was the other guy you mentioned, but since you apparently get excited when a QB who doesn’t play well beats a really bad team, that guy beat the team that destroyed us last week.

This fan base is atrocious. They haven’t had a QB in 60 years but they can’t tolerate anything but perfection when a 22 year old stud lands on their laps... the kid threw for 270, 2 TDs, and a game winning drive... without Bell or a TE on the field. Was it his best game? Of course not, but this one goes in the positive column for ANY QB in the NFL

Couldn’t have said it better myself. I have been saying this for weeks! It’s not like we had Brady here for 19 years and Sam is replacing him. Uncle Josh, Fitztragic, Geno, Hack, Sanchez....I could go on....
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Legend Killa7 said:

Couldn’t have said it better myself. I have been saying this for weeks! It’s not like we had Brady here for 19 years and Sam is replacing him. Uncle Josh, Fitztragic, Geno, Hack, Sanchez....I could go on....

Serious question.

How does what the others did have to do with Darnold?

• Thumb Down 1

8 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Pass Defense DVOA ranks of Darnold opponents, Weeks 1-8: 5th, 23rd, 2nd, 16th

Pass Defense DVOA ranks of Darnold opponents, weeks 9-14: 32nd, 30th, 20th,  28th, 31st, 32nd

One of his best games of the season was the Cowboys game. 

Had a really good game against Dallas and then a disaster against NE and a bad game against the Jaguars. Hasn't had a bad game since. Improvement is improvement. 

Gotta beat who is in front of you. 

2 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Had a really good game against Dallas and then a disaster against NE and a bad game against the Jaguars. Hasn't had a bad game since. Improvement is improvement. 

Like the 0-7 Dolphins. Or the 0-11 Bengals?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

But you will, lol.

i give Gase a lot of credit for game planning with a depleted roster.. He’s done a great job simplifying things for Darnold. Lots of short passes and keeps trying to force the running game

If what you’re seeing from Darnold impresse you, you must be heartbroken seeing Jackson, Allen, and Mayfield outperform him the last two seasons.

22 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Cincinnati was bad.

Hes become a dink and dunker under Gase so his stats look good, but you’re 100% correct, all he can do is beat who he’s playing, and we’ve won 4 of 5.

2 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

And not to mention he dealt with mono. A disease that depletes muscle, strength, energy, and compromises vital organs. On average it takes multiple months to fully recover. He did it playing a violent sport at the highest level.. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

The reality is Darnold is a very young guy forced to learn a brand new offense in his second year in the NFL.  The reality too, is that he struggles under pressure, tries to do too much and has at least 3 or 4 "panic passes" that often don't end well.  He's got the brain and the arm and the mobility of an elite QB.  He isn't one though. He can be, but he isn't at this point. The fact that he went to Gase to edit the playbook might be an indication that he doesn't really have much confidence in the "qb whisperer ". Hes neither a star or a bum. Hes a 22 yr old kid doing the best with what hes got. Let's see who he is at 25. Then I'll pass judgment. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

I like Sam but he was dreadful in the second half today.

Stat sheet doesn't tell the story. Should have better early only for some killer drops and could have been far worse later on. Missed so many big plays, especially to Robby and it could have killed us. He was playing a terrible Miami team who couldn't even score a TD.

I think some of the reactions to Sam are horrible. Anyone writing him off can f*ck off. But it's a big season for him next season. He needs to show serious progression or we may have to look at other options. 

Pretty much where I am at with Darnold. I’m not writing him off, but I also don’t think he’s the answer. Next year is huge for him. 

1 minute ago, sirlancemehlot said:

The reality is Darnold is a very young guy forced to learn a brand new offense in his second year in the NFL.  The reality too, is that he struggles under pressure, tries to do too much and has at least 3 or 4 "panic passes" that often don't end well.  He's got the brain and the arm and the mobility of an elite QB.  He isn't one though. He can be, but he isn't at this point. The fact that he went to Gase to edit the playbook might be an indication that he doesn't really have much confidence in the "qb whisperer ". Hes neither a star or a bum. Hes a 22 yr old kid doing the best with what hes got. Let's see who he is at 25. Then I'll pass judgment. 

This is very fair

5 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Cincinnati was bad.

Hes become a dink and dunker so his stats look good, but you’re 100% correct, all he can do is beat who he’s playing, and we’ve won 4 of 5.

I wouldn’t call him a dink and dunker. He throws downfield a lot-he’s just not accurate. At least he completed a deep ball today. 

4 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

And not to mention he dealt with mono. A disease that depletes muscle, strength, energy, and compromises vital organs. On average it takes multiple months to fully recover. He did it playing a violent sport at the highest level.. 

He’s been truly heroic. I’m sure he’s inspired millions of mono victims everywhere.

8 minutes ago, RonaldJet said:

I wouldn’t call him a dink and dunker. He throws downfield a lot-he’s just not accurate. At least he completed a deep ball today. 

Gase definitely mixes in a deep ball of course, you have to. Nobody could say it’s a ball Darnold throws well however.

I have to disagree about the dink and dunk though. From the very first game this season against Buffalo, that’s what Gase had in mind for him. It was obvious that day.

I think it helps Sam actually. It limits the number of times he gets into reckless mode, he completes a high %, so his stats look good, which should help his confidence also.

It also helps the team. Darnold isn’t capable of carrying a team yet, we’ve seen that. When Gase can limit Sam’s mistakes, the team has a chance to win.