Sam Darnold in the second half of the season

slimjasi

Sams going to end this season with a higher completion %, more TD’s, less picks and a higher rating than last year (both seasons 13 games played assuming he makes next 3 starts) Maybe it wasn’t the leap we all expected but given the circumstances that’s pretty good for a 22 year old quarterback. He needs a real OL and some more playmakers. Kid could be really really good. 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Ok. Agree to disagree

Last week DVOA had Darnold ranked 26th and PFF had him ranked 8th. Who cares? I watch every game, and can decide for myself how well he did or did not play. 

This week Mayfield completes 11/24 with 2picks against the same defense at home. Maybe Cincy is playing better on defense now than they were earlier in the year. 

Analytics in football are inherently flawed, because the sample size isn’t big enough. 

3 minutes ago, Jetlife33 said:

Sams going to end this season with a higher completion %, more TD’s, less picks and a higher rating than last year (both seasons 13 games played assuming he makes next 3 starts) Maybe it wasn’t the leap we all expected but given the circumstances that’s pretty good for a 22 year old quarterback. He needs a real OL and some more playmakers. Kid could be really really good. 

Especially when you take into account the mono and other injuries he had to deal with in the first half.  Like you said next year with a better oline and having another year under his belt I am looking forward to what he does for us 

4 minutes ago, Jetlife33 said:

I don’t know about that. I have a feeling the last three games are going to be pretty ugly based on what I saw today. 

19 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

So do you think Adam Gase is a good coach?  I know your thoughts on Darnold, I don't recall seeing your opinion on Gase though.

My opinion is that with the exception of a few outliers on both ends, players (and largely QBs) make coaches.  Adam Gase likely falls into that non-outlier crowd.

Remember when Schotty was so stupid he didn’t know how first downs work?  Now he runs a top 5 offense.  Do you think that’s because he learned to be a top OC, or do you think it’s the players?

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

My opinion is that with the exception of a few outliers on both ends, players (and largely QBs) make coaches.  Adam Gase likely falls into that non-outlier crowd.

Remember when Schotty was so stupid he didn’t know how first downs work?  Now he runs a top 5 offense.  Do you think that’s because he learned to be a top OC, or do you think it’s the players?

No disagreement on that.  I wasn't trying to bait you or anything, I enjoy your viewpoint even on items I don't agree with completely.

Players are always going to be the deciding factor more often than not.  I think certain coaches do better at getting the most out of players than others, but overall players make the difference.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 14 in Green said:

But you will, lol.

i give Gase a lot of credit for game planning with a depleted roster.. He’s done a great job simplifying things for Darnold. Lots of short passes and keeps trying to force the running game

If what you’re seeing from Darnold impresse you, you must be heartbroken seeing Jackson, Allen, and Mayfield outperform him the last two seasons.

Mayfield is outperforming him this year? I kind of expect that kind of analysis from you. 

Just now, southtown24th said:

CLEARLY it's time to draft ANOTHER QB...

That probably the 5 worst defenses in the league.  When Darnold plays against a real defense, he crumbles and turns into scaredy darnold.

It is going to be a nightmare 3 weeks upcoming for sam darnold and there will be tons of concerns going into this offseason.

3 weeks of ghosts coming up.  Its going to be ugly.

2 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Darnold had a couple of really good games the second half of the season. Raiders and Giants I think. He's been ok I guess the last couple of weeks. 

When you watch him play do you feel like he's progressing? It seems to me that he's missing a lot of throws that he used to make effortlessly and not going through his progressions consistently.

I don't know. I still believe he can be a really good QB for us but I have concerns.

ups and downs.

welcome to life as a second year  NFL QB.  

1 minute ago, southtown24th said:

CLEARLY it's time to draft ANOTHER QB...

You realize we just finished the 12th game of his second season, and you just listed 50% of his career wins right?

I don’t know if that’s the argument I’d make to keep Darnold. 

35 minutes ago, Jetlife33 said:

PROGRESS.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Did you watch the browns bengals game today?  

No, I watched the Jets.

But I heard the team that kicked our butts last week got beat. The QB that beat them put more then 6 points on the board also. At least that’s what I was told.

• Thumb Down 3

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

Listen, let's pretend that we agree on Darnold being bad in the first Miami game. 

I think my overall feeling on Darnold is that he is performing reasonably well on a bottom 3 to 5 NFL roster and that he has had some elite performances along the way that make me think he is a QB prospect worth moving forward with. He's easily better than Sanchez, who got three full years as the unquestioned starter here because he was lucky enough to be surrounded by a top 10 roster. 

I don't think he's established that he's going to be a long term guy yet, but he's done nothing to make me think that he eventually won't be. 

I’m not as high on him as you, but I don’t really disagree with this. My feeling is that I’m not ready to give up on him altogether because the roster is so poor; at the same time, he hasn’t shown enough to keep us from aggressively pursuing another QB should the opportunity present itself. 

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, RonaldJet said:

Last week DVOA had Darnold ranked 26th and PFF had him ranked 8th. Who cares? I watch every game, and can decide for myself how well he did or did not play. 

This week Mayfield completes 11/24 with 2picks against the same defense at home. Maybe Cincy is playing better on defense now than they were earlier in the year. 

Analytics in football are inherently flawed, because the sample size isn’t big enough. 

I guess that settles that. Thanks, Ronald

If the only thing that matters is Darnold getting better, how can anyone be happy about what they saw today from him??
Or this year?

It’s amazing how guys like Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady never had a bad game in their careers. They’ve literally gotten better every game of their career, never a setback. Amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

But you will, lol.

i give Gase a lot of credit for game planning with a depleted roster.. He’s done a great job simplifying things for Darnold. Lots of short passes and keeps trying to force the running game

If what you’re seeing from Darnold impresse you, you must be heartbroken seeing Jackson, Allen, and Mayfield outperform him the last two seasons.

Lots of short passes?  He is .2 behind Mayfield in YPA and .5 ahead of Allen. His YPA against the Raiders ALONE, was 10.9.  He avg'd 7.5 today.

Force the running game?  Did you not see how many rushing vs passing attempts we had last week against the worst rushing defense in the league?

Mayfield is outplaying him this year?  Toppest of "keks".

I've been up and down on Sam this year like a fat kid on a diet, but this post is all sorts of wrong.  He missed a couple of throws and threw a greedy pick.  Overall, given the state of the team, he played okay.

12 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

It’s amazing how guys like Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady never had a bad game in their careers. They’ve literally gotten better every game of their career, never a setback. Amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Amazing? Yeah kind of.

I think Brady and Rodgers have accomplished a little more then Darnold has in his career. I give them more slack because of that, but that’s just me.

59 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

No, I watched the Jets.

But I heard the team that kicked our butts last week got beat. The QB that beat them put more then 6 points on the board also. At least that’s what I was told.

Were you told baker threw 0 tds 2 picks and almost blew the game with a third INT that the refs overturned on a bs PI call

Sam is better than Baker it’s really no longer even close

13 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

We’re you told baker threw 0 tds 2 picks and almost blew the game with a third INT that the refs overturned on a bs PI call

Sam is better than Baker it’s really no longer even close

No, and no.

But enough with this, who do you want to see get the Knicks job? I know Fizdale wasn’t great, but I didn’t think he was the big problem here. We got a bad deal with the lottery, and Dolan can’t attract flies in FA.

1 minute ago, 14 in Green said:

No, and no.

But enough with this, who do you want to see get the Knicks job? I know Fizdale wasn’t great, but I didn’t think he was the big problem here. We got a bad deal with the lottery, and Dolan can’t attract flies in FA.

Let’s give Miller a shot the team played a lot harder vs the pacers they lost by one point.  

supposedly Dolan wants Masai Ujiri this off-season.  He’s gonna have to offer full control, get Isiah out of the building and $100 million

3 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Let’s give Miller a shot the team played a lot harder vs the pacers they lost by one point.  

supposedly Dolan wants Masai Ujiri this off-season.  He’s gonna have to offer full control, get Isiah out of the building and $100 million

Isaih has more lives then a cat.