Big day From Robby Anderson Helps Lift Jets Over Phins; Week 14 Report Card

JetNation

Robby Anderson

It looked like the Jets were on the brink of blowing a big lead to the lowly Miami Dolphins and if not for a costly penalty that put the Jets in field goal range, Adam Gase and company may have done just that.  In the end, a Sam Ficken field goal as time expired lifted the Jets to a 22-21 victory.  How’d they grade out?

Quarterback: C-

Not a great day for Sam Darnold who was playing well early on but was victimized by some big drops, but then saw a drop-off in the second half as he missed one open receiver after another.  Darnold also had a bone headed interception with at least one more pick that was dropped by the Dolphins defense.  Not his best showing, but as a 22-year-old playing in just his 23rd NFL game, fans hitting the panic button should probably relax.

Running Backs: C+

The Jets running game came to life with Bilal Powell and Ty Montgomery in the backfield.  Powell rushed for 74-yards, a new season high for Gang Green.  Ty Montgomery also chipped in 31 yards on 9 carries.

Wide Receivers: B+

Robby Anderson made himself some money today.  The pending free agent had a big day that would have been much bigger if not for several Darnold misfires.  In the end, Anderson finished with 7 receptions for 116 yards and a touchdown.  Vyncint Smith also showed some impressive catch-and-run ability on a quick pass that he turned in to a 37-yard gain on the game’s final drive.

Robby Anderson over his past three games…18 receptions for 303 yards and 2 TD's.

If Darnold is on target today, those numbers are much higher.

— Glenn Naughton (@AceFan23) December 8, 2019

Tighe Ends: D

Ryan Griffin left the game with an injury early in the first quarter and did not return.  Daniel Brown was open deep down the sideline at one point on a play that had a chance to be a long touchdown pass but Darnold misfired along the right sideline.  In the end, tight ends had just 2 receptions for 15 yards.

Offensive line: C

Sam Darnold had decent protection for much of the day but there were some breakdowns that forced the QB to improvise and make plays under duress.  As far as the run blocking goes, Adam Gase finally took advantage of an opponent’s weakness and let him blockers eat up some yards on the ground.

Defensive Line: C+

Quinnen Williams was off to the best start of his young career as he blew up several plays early one before leaving with an injury.  Steve McLendon had a pair of tackles for loss and Nathan Shepherd was also around the ball quite a bit.  Ryan Fitzpatrick picked up 65 yards on the ground as he did a good job adjusting when the Jets D-line collapsed the pocket.

Linebackers: B

The Jets gave up over 360 yards but the linebackers were a big reason why the Jets kept the Dolphins out of the end zone.  Jordan Jenkins picked up a pair of sacks that were due solely to his relentless motor on plays that saw Fitzpatrick hold on to the ball forever and James Burgess led the team in tackles with 13.

Secondary: B

The secondary was beat for 265 yards passing but they held up in the red zone, refusing to give up a touchdown all day.  Nate Hairston had his first interception as a Jet Gregg Williams’ decimated secondary did the best they could with what they had.

Special Teams: B

Sam Ficken hit the first game winning kick of his career in what he said was the biggest kick he’s ever made so that earns immediate high marks.  Braxton Berrios had one punt return for 12 yards and the Dolphins had just 7 yards on their lone punt return attempt.

Coaching: B

The offense wasn’t slowed by Gase’s play calling but by Darnold’s inaccuracy.  Gregg Williams did a fantastic job with a defense that is missing many of its top players.

Next up, Thursday night football to take on Lamar Jackson and the Baltimore Ravens in Baltimore.

The post Big day From Robby Anderson Helps Lift Jets Over Phins; Week 14 Report Card appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
SyGSNfJf7_0

Click here to read the full story...

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, JetNation said:

Secondary: B

The secondary was beat for 265 yards passing but they held up in the red zone, refusing to give up a touchdown all day.  Nate Hairston had his first interception as a Jet Gregg Williams’ decimated secondary did the best they could with what they had.

The Jets are undefeated when Jamal Adams isn’t in the lineup. Makes you think.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

Gregg Williams is the unsung hero of the season. Flat-out! This guy is held his head high with almost nothing to work with. Despite the names changing every week, in my opinion he is done a damn good job and I hope he sticks around. I would really like to see this coaching staff and these players all have another season to gel together.

To that point I would like to add that obviously most of the focus has been on Sam and Gase, of course the injuries on both sides of the ball and how it has affected our team. That being said and aside from # 33's Millennial Esq drama, nobody has even heard a mouse fart of complaint from the defense! Not any of the players and certainly not the defensive coordinator. This is a fact and cannot be disputed.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sarge4Tide said:

20 out of 36 for 270 yards with 2 TDs and 1 INT behind a horrible OL with your top RB out and your 3rd string TE in for most of the game is a "C-"?

Today was one of the few times in Darnold’s career he had time to throw and sometimes even lots of it.  Must have felt very foreign to him.

That being said I think his numbers today lie.  He played very poorly, missing MANY wide open looks that just can’t happen at the NFL level because missing just one usually costs you the game.

The way that I like to adjust his overall W-L record with W’s which were actually L’s when he gives the Jets leads late and the D craters or other things go wrong (which irks a few other posters haha), well today I’ll take this W away from Darnold.

Hopefully he steps up his game in the last 3 going into the offseason.

The next game against Balt I’m having bad flashbacks of Sanchez getting destroyed when playing with that awful Center who subbed for Mangold.  I’m just hoping Darnold doesn’t get hurt.  If he actually is able to keep the game close (not even thinking about winning) I’ll consider that a good step back in the right direction.

1 hour ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

Gregg Williams is the unsung hero of the season. Flat-out! This guy is held his head high with almost nothing to work with. Despite the names changing every week, in my opinion he is done a damn good job and I hope he sticks around. I would really like to see this coaching staff and these players all have another season to gel together.

I prefer for him to stay as DC than for Gase to stay as HC. 

• Upvote 1

Connor Hughes @ the athletic

i didnt bold or italicize ( or agree)

"

Teams are desperate for playmakers on the open market. Anyone who has shown any ability gets paid. Anderson — especially if he finishes the season strong — will be a hot commodity. Some team will pay him upwards (or exceeding) an average of $10 million annually.

As hot as Anderson has been these last three games, it still seems silly to give him that much. If he keeps it going against the Ravens, Steelers and Bills, though, it might be impossible for Douglas to let him walk out the door. Retaining Anderson, then pairing him with a true No. 1 receiver (in free agency or the draft) and a healthy Chris Herndon would give Darnold quite a few weapons to work with.

It’s just a money thing. Do the Jets — with holes at pass rusher, corner and on the offensive line — want to pay that much to a guy who, at his best, is a really good No. 2?

13 hours ago, JetNation said:

Quarterback: C-

Not a great day for Sam Darnold who was playing well early on but was victimized by some big drops, but then saw a drop-off in the second half as he missed one open receiver after another.  Darnold also had a bone headed interception with at least one more pick that was dropped by the Dolphins defense.  Not his best showing, but as a 22-year-old playing in just his 23rd NFL game, fans hitting the panic button should probably relax.

All you nay sayers are getting a bit annoying now.  I suppose it doesn't count that Sam's throwing hand got stepped on (cleats) during the 2nd half.  You glass is half empty fans get me sick.  Go Jets!   

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Losmeister said:

i didnt bold or italicize ( or agree)

"

Teams are desperate for playmakers on the open market. Anyone who has shown any ability gets paid. Anderson — especially if he finishes the season strong — will be a hot commodity. Some team will pay him upwards (or exceeding) an average of $10 million annually.

As hot as Anderson has been these last three games, it still seems silly to give him that much. If he keeps it going against the Ravens, Steelers and Bills, though, it might be impossible for Douglas to let him walk out the door. Retaining Anderson, then pairing him with a true No. 1 receiver (in free agency or the draft) and a healthy Chris Herndon would give Darnold quite a few weapons to work with.

It’s just a money thing. Do the Jets — with holes at pass rusher, corner and on the offensive line — want to pay that much to a guy who, at his best, is a really good No. 2?

robbie is still not a no. 1 guy.  but i will say that he will benefit from an oline upgrade and another receiver who can stretch the field.

The cat is out of the bag.  Robby Anderson is a number 1 receiver.  If he had an accurate qb hed have 1500 yards and 10 plus tds this year.  he is also healthy and never misses games.

He will get a big contract from the jets and deserves every penny.  Joe D is no dummy.  He will have this guy locked up as soon as he can.

16 hours ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

F@#%  A.

• Upvote 1

Considering the roster and injuries it’s played out as I expected. Either overmatched, bend and don’t break or an occasional good performance. That’s what a competent DC does. This roster is a mess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If Sam made better throws to Robby his stats would have been much better... he's not going to break tackles but I don't think we can let this guy walk.... now that they started using him more underneath he gets open and has very strong hands ...  

The under throws to Robby can be frustrating but they are close. It’s like he’s trying to make a perfect throw and missing by a yard so..

5 hours ago, Losmeister said:

If the "really good No. 2" can routinely get behind the secondary, then yes.

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

The cat is out of the bag.  Robby Anderson is a number 1 receiver.  If he had an accurate qb hed have 1500 yards and 10 plus tds this year.  he is also healthy and never misses games.

He will get a big contract from the jets and deserves every penny.  Joe D is no dummy.  He will have this guy locked up as soon as he can.

Yes, very shrewd of him to wait all this time, put him on the trading block barely over just a month ago, and give Anderson the opportunity to get his stats up before offering him an extension. Machiavellian. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jetmech said:

The under throws to Robby can be frustrating but they are close. It’s like he’s trying to make a perfect throw and missing by a yard so..

I just think they are all out of sync and come game time at real speed it's a cluster f  starting with the O line which needs to get better so it can gel, gotta get together and get some rhythm and chemistry. Sounds cliche but it is what it is.

1 hour ago, Jetmech said:

Under throws on deep balls are understandable...takes alot of work to get that right, judging where he'll be when a long throw reaches him at hist top speed.  those I can live with.  these were the crossing routes that were badly overthrown (high and with no touch...things I had not seen Sam really do before)...  it's possible he's thinking too much now, i guess as you get to know more maybe you have to also work on the skill of not getting locked up . (the old paralysis by analysis)