Clarifying the Late Pass Interfence Call

JetNation

dowell loggains

Miami Dolphins vs. New York Jets – Pool Report with Senior Vice President of Officiating Al Riveron

(On the play with 0:47 remaining in the fourth quarter where, after replay review, defensive pass interference was added to the play):

Question: I believe it was you who made the ultimate call. Is that correct?

Riveron: “That is correct. By rule, we make the ultimate call here in New York.”

Question: OK, can you take me through the process from the time when the play occurred until we got the eventual call? Can you take me through how that went and what the ultimate ruling was?

Riveron: “Sure. So, by rule, under two minutes all reviews are done in the booth and/or here in New York. We see in the line feed (the initial view of the play) some contact. We look at it. It rises to the level – in the line feed – where we have to stop the game and look at it. After we look at it, we get a couple of replays which show us that it’s clear and obvious that the defender grabs the receiver by his shoulder, turns him prior to the ball getting there, and significantly hinders him before the ball arrives. Therefore, by rule, that’s defensive pass interference. We bring the referee over. We look at it. We confer. We all agree. Therefore, we changed the ruling on the field and we put a flag down for defensive pass interference.”

Question: So, as you said – clear and obvious – this was not a difficult call in your view, it sounds like?

Riveron: “It was clear and obvious that the receiver did get significantly hindered prior to the ball getting there.”

Question: It appears we’re seeing more defensive pass interference calls overturned than earlier in the year. Is that correct, do you think?

Riveron: “Well, I don’t look at it by numbers and we don’t look at it by numbers here. We treat each one individually. That’s how we officiate the play on the field or review the play, for lack of a better term. If the numbers show one thing, we really don’t concern ourselves where we are that week, that month or that game. Again, we basically look at each ruling, at each call, at each play on an individual basis and then we apply the rule.”

Question: So, you don’t feel that it’s being applied either in a stricter fashion or anything like that since the beginning of the year. Is that correct?

Riveron: “It is not being applied any differently than it was at the beginning of the year.”

The post Clarifying the Late Pass Interfence Call appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
-u5NAWgf8FE

Click here to read the full story...

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

had sound off all game...

until last drive...  whoever it was on the network was bending over backward to try to justify the original non call.

I was at the game, so I can't comment on the announcers. I will say that with a matchup like this I am sure the announcers were the 8th team.

Was just glad to see that the head of officiating vindicated the call. 

Riveron: “It was clear and obvious that the receiver did get significantly hindered prior to the ball getting there.”

I think anyone with eyes would have vindicated the call. If pulling back on his shoulder and turning him sideways isn't hindering his ability to catch the ball then anything short of the DB amputating the receivers arms is probably not pass interference.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I was at the game, so I can't comment on the announcers. I will say that with a matchup like this I am sure the announcers were the 8th team.

Was just glad to see that the head of officiating vindicated the call. 

was super skeptical that we'd get it. knowing refs in general and our seemingly bad lcuk with them.

glad we did, of course.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, JetNation said:

Question: So, you don’t feel that it’s being applied either in a stricter fashion or anything like that since the beginning of the year. Is that correct?

Riveron: “It is not being applied any differently than it was at the beginning of the year.”

The post Clarifying the Late Pass Interfence Call appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs

-u5NAWgf8FE

Click here to read the full story...

lol ok

• Upvote 1

It was definitely pass interference. There's really not much of an argument to make against that.

I was just surprised that they actually overturned it on review. He clearly jerks his body to prevent him from being able to catch the ball but I thought because he didn't come flying into him early with his back turned to the play or basically tackle him that it wasn't going to meet their criteria for "clear and obvious".

But it was totally the right call. The problem is, the game is way to dependent on replay now.

• Upvote 3

Yeah early in the year it was pointless to have PI part of the replay, but at some point they started to look at it fairly... I guess it sounds bias since it helped us, but I like that they get a play like that right...  I didn't like the earlier PI on us that negated the INT or the roughing the passer (or the PF for hitting the receiver when he tries to duck between 2 defenders), but I did like this crew as far as they mostly let the teams play and there wasn't a holding call every 5 seconds or on every kick return...

30 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

It was definitely pass interference. There's really not much of an argument to make against that.

I was just surprised that they actually overturned it on review. He clearly jerks his body to prevent him from being able to catch the ball but I thought because he didn't come flying into him early with his back turned to the play or basically tackle him that it wasn't going to meet their criteria for "clear and obvious".

But it was totally the right call. The problem is, the game is way to dependent on replay now.

yep it was pi.  the talking heads tried to say how things look different in slo mo as if that would've made much difference.  imo it certainly looked like the receiver was pulled back before the pass in real time.  he also fell down.

i'm not really a fan of this big brother watching and calling the game.  the refs are on the field and they need to make the calls.

• Upvote 1