joewilly12

Leonard Williams,sick of losing, says if Giants don't offer him top-tier money, he'll hit free agency

He wants to play for a winner yet a common thread on these losing teams has been him.  Force an INT, get a sack, make a TFL on 3rd and short to win a game and that 1-10 suddenly becomes 2-9 or 3-8.

• Upvote 4

23 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Well, they traded what could be the #2 pick in the 3rd round for a comp pick, which would be, at best, #33 in the 3rd round.

This.

Also, if the Jets sign some high-priced FAs this coming offseason my understanding is that could negate some of the Jets comp picks.  In other words, they may not have gotten a high comp pick if they lost Leo after this year as a free agent and signed other FAs.

This was a very good trade, made better by the Giants continuing to lose.  The Jets likely have 4 picks in the Top 75 of the upcoming Draft and could find a way to get one or two more by trading down from say #9 to #15....while still getting an excellent WR, the best Center in the Draft or one of the Top 4 OTs.

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, thshadow said:

If the Jets signed *any* FAs on expired contracts (as opposed to those that had been cut), they would potentially not get the comp pick for Leo.  The first step is just comparing the number of qualified signings and losses - independent of their value.  If you've signed as many or more, you don't get any comp picks.  Period.  So if the plan was to get a comp pick for Leo, you'd have to be extremely careful, and probably limit what you could do in free agency (and resigning our own expiring contract FAs).

Also, people should keep in mind that we get the 5th if not the 4th.  So if he doesn't sign, we still get a 5th in 2021.

Even if it stays a 5th and not a 4th I'm starting to objectively feel like this was highway robbery.  The #66 overall (3rd round, Pick 2) and a 5th for a guy who has 0 sacks this year and was going to walk away for nothing from a 5-win team?  The almost never pull off deals this well.

• Upvote 1

Just now, southparkcpa said:

I dont believe that tweet do you????  a second rate DL being the deal breaker?

We may never know for sure but I'll throw a couple thoughts out there...

1. Gettleman traded a high 3rd for Leo during a rebuilding season.  That's the kind of move you make when you think you 9-7 team could be 11-5 by adding a talented DT in midseason.  I don't think the Leo acquisition was a short term move in Gettleman's mind and he looks foolish giving up a very valuable (almost 2nd round pick) to rent Leo for 8 weeks during a losing season.

2. Some of the things that a new HC looks at when coming into a situation are the Cap space, contract situations and what players the team is anchored to longer term.  Leo will consume some serious $$$ this offseason (whether he deserves it or not) and a new contract would wed him to the team for at least 3-4 years because he wouldn't be tradeable early in the contract.  Do you think Matt Rhule wants Leo Williams to be the first big FA deal of his tenure with the Giants?  It would almost feel like a Gase-Bell situation....big money tied up in a non-premium position.

3. Whether Leo Williams was the specific reason or not it could simply be that the conversations about Leo between Rhule and Gettleman gave Rhule some insight into Gettleman's thinking and it scared him off.  Just hearing Gettleman's thinking about how to approach FA and the Leo William's situation may have had Rhule saying to himself, "I don't know if I can work with this guy."

• Upvote 2

Just now, TMAC said:

Maybe if he played better he would lose less.

Thanks Booger McFarland.

• Haha 3

Regardless of the tweet, which does seem ridiculous, we should still hope the Giants sign Leo as that improves the trade compensation to the Jets.

• Upvote 3

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company