THE BARON

Interesting Observation On Darnold... I think

Interesting observation on Darnold.  I *think*

I'm probably putting two and two together and getting five, but I have noticed what may be a trend regarding Darnold.

When protection is bad, Darnold's play degrades.  It is more than just bad passing.  His entire skill set vanishes.  Footwork becomes jumbled, throws off back foot, making bad decisions with the football... An over all loss of concentration.  

And...

When Gase throws the Peyton Manning "drop back pocket passer" play book at Darnold like we saw yesterday, I see a lot of the same thing.  Loss of concentration and focus leading to bad passes and lazy play...

This is starting to look a lot like Sam saying "f**k it" when things are not to his liking...

I could be reading into things of course, and I'm sure I will get a few butt-fumbles, but I think there is some substance to what I am saying...

• Butt Fumble 2

5 minutes ago, JTJet said:

Pressure on a QB = Difference in play. 

Nothing new here. 

Not the case for the targets he missed yesterday.  He was not running for his life.  He had more than enough time to connect.  He didn't like the plays they were running. I saw it on his face.  I also never see him audible.  Captain Bligh is trying to make Darnold into Peyton Manning... 

10 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

I'm probably putting two and two together and getting five, but I have noticed what may be a trend regarding Darnold.

When protection is bad, Darnold's play degrades.  It is more than just bad passing.  His entire skill set vanishes.  Footwork becomes jumbled, throws off back foot, making bad decisions with the football... An over all loss of concentration.  

And...

When Gase throws the Peyton Manning "drop back pocket passer" play book at Darnold like we saw yesterday, I see a lot of the same thing.  Loss of concentration and focus leading to bad passes and lazy play...

This is starting to look a lot like Sam saying "f**k it" when things are not to his liking...

I could be reading into things of course, and I'm sure I will get a few butt-fumbles, but I think there is some substance to what I am saying...

Makes no sense.  If you wanna day he struggles when protection is bad fine but saying he stops caring is just stupid 

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

He didn't like the plays they were running. I saw it on his face.  I also never see him audible.  Captain Bligh is trying to make Darnold into Peyton Manning... 

Uh, wouldn’t he let him audible if he was trying to make him into Peyton Manning? Isn’t that what Peyton Manning does?

Well I'm no QB, but I wouldn't want to try to do so behind this O-line every game.

There has to be a large amount of trust in your line to protect you long enough to do your job. Sammy is doing what he can in an imperfect situation. Once he trusts the line to protect him more I'm sure things will click on for him. 

21 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

And...

I think there is something to that Sam is a little shell-shocked. The footwork at times is bad, and leads to bad passes.

Also, I think that a previous bad play tends to stick in his mind a little bit and he has tended recently to become far more conservative. Going to check downs and less downfield passes that are there.

He seems to really encapsulate what happens to many athletes--Good play results in better play, and bad plays tend to result in more bad plays. It is mentality and overcoming the negative.

Hopefully, a greater surrounding cast next year gives more confidence.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Uh, wouldn’t he let him audible if he was trying to make him into Peyton Manning? Isn’t that what Peyton Manning does?

No... Darnold would not be inclined to be Peyton Manning and audible to one of four plays that Manning ran with the Colts and with Gase.   That offense has four basic pass plays.  All from the pocket.  All based on timing and proficiency.  Darnold would  want to move the pocket and watch his targets progress.   Gase is trying to force an offense on Darnold that is un-natural to him.

30 minutes ago, JTJet said:

Pressure on a QB = Difference in play. 

Nothing new here. 

Exactly. Brady lost 2 Superbowls to the Giants because someone finally pressured him. How about 1st home game vs Pats in 2010? 

28 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Not the case for the targets he missed yesterday.  He was not running for his life.  He had more than enough time to connect.  He didn't like the plays they were running. I saw it on his face.  I also never see him audible.  Captain Bligh is trying to make Darnold into Peyton Manning... 

Whut? Nobody thinks he is Peyton Manning lol. But you're trying to make him out to be Ryan Leaf. Goes both ways. 

But when mentioning missed targets, to be fair, you have to also mention the several dropped passes. If we dont drop the 4-5 passes in the first half, could have been a different game AND different narrative for Darnold.

4 minutes ago, Maxman said:

You didn't see Darnold audible yesterday? Because it happened and it resulted in a first down.

Can you post the make\model\price of your TV. Those shots you are getting that help you read facial expressions and interpret them sound sweet.  :)

thank you for saying something in response to that that i would likely have been unable to w/o repercussions..

the grinch christmas GIF

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, nico002 said:

Darnold has below average protection on nearly every snap. 

Other teams blitz Darnold because he doesn't beat the blitz

and when he knows he s going to get hit he goes back foot. 

Look at General Fitz patrick step up into the fire yesteday. he knew he'd take a shot and ate it. Sam is like scared to get hit (*and don't tell me Miami has a better line, cause they don't) 

to be fair 14 actually showed some progress yesterday 

they were blitzing double CB and he didn't see it until the 2nd half 

eventually they paid for it 

but make no mistake, this game was a 19-18 loss if not for a gift PI from NY league office at the end 

the best thing about Sam Darnold is the league wants to market him desperately 

he farts in the right direction and makes player of the week 

we could say the same about Sanchez 

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Look at General Fitz patrick step up into the fire yesteday. he knew he'd take a shot and ate it. Sam is like scared to get hit (*and don't tell me Miami has a better line, cause they don't) 

but make no mistake, this game was a 19-18 loss if not for a gift PI from NY league office at the end 

Check the rule book, 7.1.14:

A gift pass interference call may only occur on a play where there was no pass interference.

That wasn't a gift, it was the right call. Head of officiating said so himself, it was clearly PI.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

but make not mistake this game was a 19-18 loss if not for a gift PI from NY league office at the end 

People keep saying this. Was it not actually pass interference by the rules?

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Maxman said:

You didn't see Darnold audible yesterday? Because it happened and it resulted in a first down.

Can you post the make\model\price of your TV. Those shots you are getting that help you read facial expressions and interpret them sound sweet.  :)

Yes... Yes... It is all supposition.  I get it and I was expecting such replies.  Your position is well founded.  I will tell you something else.  This is for sure.  Any way you slice it, Adam Gase is a $hit heel... 

And this leaves me a miffed...

The word that we all heard was that  C. Johnson loved Gase because he was "coaching to where the league was going.  And he also had great chemistry with Sam Darnold.  Two peas in a football pod.

I'm confused about the Gase -Danold relationship.  

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Yes he missed targets...it happens.  Kid is still young trying to learn the game amidst a lot of injuries, bad play calls, and a bad oline.  I’m not saying Darnold is gonna be a star but let’s give the kid some time

2 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Check the rule book, 7.1.14:

A gift pass interference call may only occur on a play where there was no pass interference.

That wasn't a gift, it was the right call. Head of officiating said so himself, it was clearly PI.

2 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

People keep saying this. Was it not actually pass interference by the rules?

of course it was pass interference

no one saying it wasn't  

the problem is PI CAN be called on almost any play

and the super shady part is how they called a review, issued a flag when there was none and essentially gave the win to the Jets 

the refs on the field didn't make a call, the league office did with 40 seconds left and the game on the line? Flores was right to be livid - these calls are so subjective 

put it another way,

offensive holding can be called all game long (but wasn't called much at all) 

do we really think the Jets line got awesome in a week? 

Tom Compton was bear hugging people yesterday 

the league puts their thumb on the scale to get the outcome they want

go to the Pats board right now they are livid about Jerome Boger

37 minutes ago, nico002 said:

It certainly hasn't been good.

Per Pro Football Reference Advanced Passing statistics, Darnold is:

Tied for third lowest in "average time from snap to throw or pocket collapse", at 2.2 seconds.  To give frame of reference, the worst is 2.0 (2 players at that number, with three at 2.1) and 2.6 second being the highest in the NFL.  This is an interesting stat tho, as it can be misleading.  Drew Brees has the lowest amount of time (2.0) because he gets the ball out ultra-fast, not because he isn't protected.  Andy Dalton is also tied for 2.0, mostly because his O-line is also horrible.  

Darnold is 9th most at being hurried..  He is 16th most in being hit.  He is 14th most in being sacked.  All despite missing multiple games.  

No matter how we slice it, O-line must be a major priority this off-season.  I wish the Jets had listened to those of us who've been screaming about this for years now.  

• Upvote 3

Darnold is here for one more year and then the Jets can move on from him and Gase, and finally erase the Mike McCagnan stench from this organization. 

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

No matter how we slice it, O-line must be a major priority this off-season.  I wish the Jets had listened to those of us who've been screaming about this for years now.  

the Jets traded 3 second rounders and Quenton Nelson for Sam Darnold. There's the new line WF. All the resources were poured into Sam. 

Nelson btw was a gold jacket player before the draft and everyone knew it 

the logic was a QB 1 would make everything better

unfortunately i spent an awful lot of time looking at the TV yesterday wondering if Fitzpatrick, quenton Nelson and 3 2nd rounders win more games 

5 minutes ago, bitonti said:

the Jets traded 3 second rounders and Quenton Nelson for Sam Darnold. There's the new line WF. All the resources were poured into Sam. 

Nelson btw was a gold jacket player before the draft and everyone knew it 

the logic was a QB 1 would make everything better

unfortunately i spent an awful lot of time looking at the TV yesterday wondering if Fitzpatrick, quenton Nelson and 3 2nd rounders win more games 

Here is a thought that is going to get a few more butt fumbles...

Unless I am very wrong about Adam Gase and Johnson's faith in him...

Ok... Sit down first... 

Ready ???

I *think* they may trade Sam to one of the teams at the top of the draft order that need a QB so the Jets can take Justin Herbert or another as of yet undiscussed QB

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Yes... Yes... It is all supposition.  I get it and I was expecting such replies.  Your position is well founded.  I will tell you something else.  This is for sure.  Any way you slice it, Adam Gase is a $hit heel... 

And this leaves me a miffed...

The word that we all heard was that  C. Johnson loved Gase because he was "coaching to where the league was going.  And he also had great chemistry with Sam Darnold.  Two peas in a football pod.

I'm confused about the Gase -Danold relationship.  

Well CJ has no idea where the league is going. Last offseason coaches were all going for Kliff Kingsbury types based on the McVay model.

Now McVay isn't looking so smart after those bad contracts to Goff and Gurley. Belichick is brining defense back and Lamar and Harbaugh are changing the game a different way.

So, CJ has no idea lol.

Gase is stubborn to a fault. I liked @KRLs note yesterday about an experienced offensive assistant. Gase needs an adult in the room I have been saying this for awhile.

1 hour ago, THE BARON said:

And...

When our pass protection breaks down, it isn't  a minor inconvenience,  it is a jailbreak with multiple  free runners coming after Darnold. I mean what else would you expect.

26 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Here is a thought that is going to get a few more butt fumbles...

Unless I am very wrong about Adam Gase and Johnson's faith in him...

Ok... Sit down first... 

Ready ???

I *think* they may trade Sam to one of the teams at the top of the draft order that need a QB so the Jets can take Justin Herbert or another as of yet undiscussed QB

Yikes

Justin Herbert is soft just like every other Oregon QB since Dan Fouts

17 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

And there you have it.  No gift.

It's what "should" have happened but the right call at a key moment - that never, like, never EVER happens to this team 

and it didn't actually happen on the field the NY league gods had to feel generous  

Relying upon such good fortune in the future seems risky. 

1 hour ago, THE BARON said:

I think this is a bunch of horse poop. What you are suggesting is Darnold bailed out on the play as soon as it broke down. I can point to multiole occasions when Darnold was escaping pressure,  he was still looling downfield  throwing passes and completing them. 

Yeah, Anderson was open. If you watched the Chiefs game, there was a play where Hill was open in the EZ by 5 yards and Maholmes missed him. Are you going to say the same thing about him?

1 hour ago, nico002 said:

Yup.

1 hour ago, Jets723 said:

Makes no sense.  If you wanna day he struggles when protection is bad fine but saying he stops caring is just stupid 

This.

1 hour ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Breaking News: There are things a 22 year old QB will need to get better at. 

Absolutely.

Ever try to teach someone to swim....in the open ocean....during a hurricane?  That's kinda how the Jets have been trying to develop their Quarterback.  It's not ideal.  There are some games where he's simply trying not to drown under the pass rush and keep his head above water. He won't look like Michael Phelps out there.

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

Yikes

Justin Herbert is soft just like every other Oregon QB since Dan Fouts

It's what "should" have happened but the right call at a key moment - that never, like, never EVER happens to this team 

and it didn't actually happen on the field the NY league gods had to feel generous  

Relying upon such good fortune in the future seems risky. 

Yeah, because so many calls in the past seem to be "gifted" in the Jets favor.

Under pressure resulting in back foot passes I think everyone would agree needs to change/improve. Mahomes can do it because of his arm. He does look scared to get hit. He also refuses to scramble. Those back foot passes against Baltimore and Pittsburgh will get picked off.

5 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Yeah, because so many calls in the past seem to be "gifted" in the Jets favor.

they were due? 

like a roulette wheel going black a bunch of times in a row? 

did Miami deserve to win that game after 7 FG probably not but it's hard to get excited the way that game ended 

they didn't exactly "earn" it either 

16 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Gase is stubborn to a fault. I liked @KRLs note yesterday about an experienced offensive assistant. Gase needs an adult in the room I have been saying this for awhile.

Dowell Loggains isn't cutting it? 

the reason why Gase has that dude around is because what rational humans call "help" Gase sees as threats to his position.  

i.e. Gase is supposed to be the brains of the operation and he can't communicate with people on a basic level. Accepting help is far too much to ask 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

55 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Gift PI? You think becaise an official got the call wrong and it was correctly reversed  on a review that it was a gift?

The Chiefs not having the Pats TD by Harry was a gift, not a PI where the DB pulled the recoever sideways by his shoulder.