Yesterday's Attendance

55 minutes ago, Maxman said:

That is great that you site next to somebody that is worth over 10 million dollars. At the Pittsburgh game can you mention the site to him? Would be great if he started posting here.

LOL, if you ever need to sell, you know where to find me.

SAR I

4 hours ago, The Crimson King said:

Good line by Max: "modified my life around it"

10 years on the waiting list followed by 41 years of FST (and very rarely missing a game) defined the last 4 months of the year since I was a kid. Events, plans, gigs, vacations, (even our September wedding date and honeymoon trip but don't tell Mrs. Crimson) were all planned around the Jets schedule no matter how bad or good the team was. It wasn't a matter of blind fanaticism but one of escape from the grind and pressure of daily life. The phone can't ring, her family can't demand attendance, work issues were relegated to the very back room of the mind, etc.

Shea was the best in certain ways. Affordable tickets. No need for a tailgate, just get up late, fill a flask, pick up some sandwiches on the way, no traffic zipping to the stadium and park close to game time and walk in a minute before kickoff (Sunday morning when you are in your 20's back then meant that you did not have a full night's sleep before a game)  Sit with the same great folks for a decade or two. Jump out  after the game and zip home with no traffic and catch the 4 o'clock game before halftime. 

The Meadowlands required a big change and a new life modification. The distance and ridiculous traffic required the addition of the tailgate and that became a good thing. Food and drink were planned for a whole week and packing up to start walking over to the stadium was a sad event like the end of a vacation. This good thing was needed as the experience changed. No more same folks every week, ruder crowds. Playing in someone else's stadium (that never changed).  

Over the years, however, some things changed further. Crowds got even ruder and moved around a lot while the play was on. Prices skyrocketed. Hundreds of dollars were wasted on preseason games. The new stadium was a huge disappointment. Every game reminded me that I was an idiot for buying the snake-oil salesman rep's spiel and springing for a PSL (could have bought a fleet of PRS's). My partner since 1981 (Mrs C) decided that it was just not worth it and after 2016, we stopped.

But like the old firehorse, when that bell rings on Sunday, the impulse is to run to the stadium so we become StubHub/Vivid denizens. You get to an age where the 1p games are just too early as one needs to get up at 6a to prep and make the long drive to get there early enough. So our season consisted of two Monday night games. The first one had three people stand the entire game in front of us. The second was the Patriots game ('nuff said about that). Hundreds of dollars and hours of time for not much return. The result is that two of those empty seats yesterday were because it is just not worth going to these games. Not because the team isn't the Seahawks, Packers or Patriots, but because the experience was certainly waned over the years. In part because of the facility and it's location but also in part of the way the fans conduct themselves causing so many missed plays.

Bottom line is that this will not change and get better until the winning starts, which has to happen sooner or later. Eventually, all pro sports will bankrupt themselves due to advances in technology that offer superior entertainment while the cost of the events continue to push the envelope to bursting.

So the answer Mr. Flagman is that we are not bad fans for not going, it's just that even at the cheap secondary market price, it is just not worth it. If you are on your couch watching every play of every game, you are not a "so-called" fan but a real one deserving of tea and sympathy as much as those who chose to spend all the money and time to attend yesterday.

Now please excuse me while I sign off. I want to check the Hub for the Steelers game.  

POST OF THE YEAR !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

55 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I can't, I just can't. Look I like Sam and I don't like firing coaches year after year so Adam Gase has my support as I hope that he improves.

But your post, I can't stop laughing. I am trying to keep the peace here, not sure that this being the greatest season ever is going to help the current mood on the site lol.

Our roster as currently constituted is 1996 Rich Kotite caliber, no?  Our entire Secondary missed yesterday's game.  We are down 6 or 7 LB's, I lost count.  All the big name internal (Enunwa, Herndon, Williamson) or free agent (Mosley, Bell, Osemele) signings are out or neutralized.  Only 1 out of 5 offensive linemen is playing his natural position.  Our kicker should be bagging groceries.  They were flying planes trying to get the head coach fired. 

This is, on paper, the most dysfunctional team in the history of the team and that is saying something considering how brutal things have been for 50 years.

Yet we have won 4 of our last 5 games.  Yet our quarterback is 5-4 when healthy.  That is coaching.  That is strong quarterbacking.  I am not joking when I say that the job Gase and Darnold are doing is among the team's best in history.  Bill Parcells himself went 1-6 followed by 7-2 with a Super Bowl roster, just down a QB.  Gase is about to follow 1-7 with 5-3 with an expansion-team caliber roster.  Think about it.  This is very impressive and bodes very well for our future.

SAR I

3 hours ago, Dcat said:

The Jets make money off of the 3rd party transactions. StubHub and Ticketmaster cough up a lot of money for the bar code access. So they actually increase sales money thru resales.

So , the bottom line is that all the Jets care about is making money . If they ever make the playoffs , it's a bonus . 

Got to say very poor showing by Jets fans overall, far too many fish fans.  Tickets were cheap, perfect tailgate and football weather and entire rows in the upper deck were empty with many open seats in the Mezz and lower level.  We need the so called fans to get off their couch and get to the stadium.  Its embarrassing when you bring new people to the game and they say it looks like a preseason crowd.  Let have a better showing for the Steeler game.  No excuses Jet fans......   Tickets we will be cheap and last time this decade you can you go to the stadium.  

Brace yourself. The Steelers fans will outnumber the 5-8 Jets fans 2 to 1 next week.

I don’t like it but it’s what’s gonna happen

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

20 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

WE means YOU and ME.

Bring back the old diehards.

When the team improves and starts kicking butt at the stadium opposing teams fans will stay away. 

MAKE THE STADIUM GREAT AGAIN. 

joewilly12

That is the script for front runners and bandwagon jumpers.

Not sure you want to be associated with a fanbase that cheers their little green hearts out when we are headed to the playoffs and stays at home and complains about enemy fans when we lose.  Then again, MetLife was sold out in 2010 and 2011 and then the upper deck vacated the moment the playoff runs stopped, so perhaps you did mean that.

SAR I

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

HELL YES.

What is wrong with these people?  This roster is 1-8 caliber yet we're 5-4 since Sam returned from injury and they don't show up?  They won't pay $25 to watch a great game on a warm December day?

I don't want to hear another word about the stadium or whining about crowd noise when these pretzel-eating complainers DON'T FIX THE PROBLEM THEMSELVES.

SAR I

Would you like some grey poupon with those pretzels ?

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, SAR I said:

That is the script for front runners and bandwagon jumpers.

Not sure you want to be associated with a fanbase that cheers their little green hearts out when we are headed to the playoffs and stays at home and complains about enemy fans when we lose.  Then again, MetLife was sold out in 2010 and 2011 and then the upper deck vacated the moment the playoff runs stopped, so perhaps you did mean that.

SAR I

STOP 

I was a season ticket holder longer than you have been so were many others. 

I never gloated about it and never SOLD OUT. 

Stick with the topic and don't insult people and try to make it like you are high and mighty and the only one  with PSL's and season tickets. 

Thanks 

joewill12 

• Sympathy 1

6 hours ago, Maxman said:

The Jets are averaging 20.3 points per game when Sam Darnold starts this season. Inconsistency is an issue but an improved oline will help next year. Do you know the last time a Jets QB averaged over 20 points per game?

1954. Seriously look it up, hasn't happened to a Jets QB since the mid 1950's. I mean, they weren't a team yet but still.

I do seriously hope someone looks up previous team points per game averages for Jets QBs.

1950’s eh, who was the Jets then, The Yonkers vandergelders?

2 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

STOP 

I was a season ticket holder longer than you have been so were many others. 

I never gloated about it and never SOLD OUT. 

Stick with the topic and don't insult people and try to make it like you are high and mighty and the only one  with PSL's and season tickets.

Thanks 

joewill12 

If you think you are allowed to take a hard, losing decade off and then re-appear like the phoenix when we turn the corner towards a fun, winning decade, think again.  You are out.  No getting back in.

SAR I

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

Coaches Club fans always show up.  The seats are very expensive, they get within inches of the players, and the spread is like a fancy wedding.  They were at the game.  Just not in their seats.  Down low or eating.

SAR I

That's not attending the game . That's filling their fat faces with wedding food and not watching or rooting for the home team . That's the problem . It's a football game , not a feast for the masses (or should I say asses) .

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, SAR I said:

If you think you are allowed to take a hard, losing decade off and then re-appear like the phoenix when we turn the corner towards a fun, winning decade, think again.  You are out.  No getting back in.

SAR I

@SAR I  

Are you going to stop us.  

I sat out there MANY LOSING SEASONS so have many others, more than you have. 

More losing than winning. 

WE can get back in anytime we want. 

joewilly12 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, SAM SAM HE'S OUR MAN said:

That's not attending the game . That's filling their fat faces with wedding food and not watching or rooting for the home team . That's the problem . It's a football game , not a feast for the masses (or should I say asses) .

With all due respect those fans pay dearly for that, they might as well take advantage of it, sometimes best part of the game. 

35 minutes ago, FlagmanL11 said:

One of the guys at my tailgate yesterday got three tickets for $30.  Not quite $500+

Good for him. What did the rest of the day cost him?

If he and anyone else there had a good time, great. I’m happy for them.

All I’m saying is commend those who go, don’t preach to us who don’t. It’s childish.

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

Season ticket holders who commit to 10 games a year, most definitely.

But stay-home-and-complain fans who can't even show up for 1 measly game for $25 on a warm December day to see their streaking team that's won 4 of their last 5 games despite all the unprecedented injuries?  That's pathetic.

SAR I

You’re a better Jets fan than me.  And I’m okay with that.  I could go to the game on Sunday, in a lost season, against a crap team, or, after working another 50 to 60 hour week, where most days I don’t get to spend more than 20 minutes with my children, I can take my daughter to a birthday party.  I’m comfortable with my choice.

Though, I guess I’m not complaining about the atmosphere or the STHs, so perhaps I’m exempt from this judgment?

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

No.

A handful of season ticket holders don't like being blamed for putting enemy fans in the stadium when they are a subset of the 8 million Jets fans in the NYC Metro area who never attend any games at all.

SAR I

This can also be true.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

@SAR I  

Are you going to stop us.  

I sat out there MANY LOSING SEASONS so have many others, more than you have. 

More losing than winning. 

WE can get back in anytime we want. 

joewilly12 

There is a list.  Same for the list of people that rooted for the plane against Coach Gase. 

SAR I

5 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

The true jet fan isnt going to the games, watching on tv or posting on a site like this.  They have moved on until the product deserves to be watched and followed again.  The real fan has stepped away and will not come back until it is worth there time.

Only glutton for punishments are still around.  

Boasting that you were at the game is embarrassing.  You are better off going in disguise and not telling anyone you went.

That's not fair. There are fans who go to the games and those, like me, who watch from their couch. It's different, but doesn't mean anyone is or isn't a fan, or is any less or more of a fan. 

When I was a STH or went to games way back at Shea, there was a very long time when I  enjoyed it. But several things are at work; your TV and the internet are a better experience in many ways. And between the new bad stadium and the time required, lots of things (will not go over it again, we've done that forever) make it less likely people are going to make that commitment of time and money. That's not a judgment only facts. 

3 hours ago, Dcat said:

Digital era changed all that. With easy and quick portability,  selling is easy. There was no real stubhub or Ticketmaster sales until mid 2000's.  It used to be impossible before that.  Youd have to send them to a scalp broker. 

You will hear the same complaint across the NFL with a few exceptions. And I'd bet that it happens to non-PSL venues as much as PSL venues.  Also in other sports. 

It's changed the business dramatically. Sports tickets are really expensive. Cannot fault anyone who defrays their expense by selling some tickets off at a profit. The owners are making money, why should the ticket-buying customer be precluded from doing so? 

Friend has NY Rangers tickets. He goes to perhaps 15 games a year and makes money selling the rest. The NFL is no different. Jets have no shot. Why wouldn't you make some money back by selling Jets/Steelers tickets smack in the middle of Christmas?