Another Terribly disappointing game for

7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Aaron Donald is the highest paid defensive player in the NFL for a reason my man.  He's the most valuable defensive player on the planet.  JJ Watt is in that category too, though his play has of course fallen off in recent years due to age and injuries.  Would you use a top 5 pick on Donald in hindsight?  Of course you would.  

You need to split DT's into 3 different categories:  Pass-rushers, all-around DT's, and run stuffers.  The former group is very small, and the most valuable position on the field on defense.  The middle group is where you find guys like Gerald McCoy.  The latter group are guys like Pouha, DeVito, Steve McLendon, etc.  

Neither QW, or Ed Oliver will ever  be Aaron Donald. There is only one Aaron Donald. And his name is Aaron Donald

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

Same thing was said about Leo, scheme hurts him.  Not mean to get sacks.

In any case he was an AWFUL pick because you do not pick a guy 3rd overall to not get sacks.

The blame for this falls squarely on chris johnson for being too utterly stupid to not fire mac and thus let him screw up one last off season

I don't disagree that at 3 you don't draft a guy that doesn't get sacks.  And yes we should have fired Mac before the draft. With the D as is at the time of the draft it just made sense to draft OLB Josh Allen.    My gut says Williams will be a different player next year and the D will be built the way Coach Williams sees fit and I think he will build it to unleash Q.  At least I hope so.  Q is talented,

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Drums said:

I understand both sides to this debate, because I agree that young players need time to develop, but at the same time, we have seen this story before a couple of times, so it might not be too crazy to assume he won't end up "the best player in the draft" when it's all said and done. I think he has a higher chance of turning into a Leo Williams than an Aaron Donald, unfortunately. 

Also which Defence did the draft pick go to?? Going to the Bills may make a player look better if he's surrounded with other good players..

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

Neither QW, or Ed Oliver will ever  be Aaron Donald. There is only one Aaron Donald. And his name is Aaron Donald

Ed Oliver's athleticism scores rivaled Aaron Donald, and he already has 5 sacks.  Of course there's only one Aaron Donald.  He's already basically a lock Hall of Famer.  But when you can get a guy who demonstrates a skillset that makes him a "poor man's Aaron Donald", he's worth taking in the top 10.  

QW definitely has no shot at being Donald or anything close to Donald.  Oliver has a chance.  Big difference.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

If he can't make an impact against Miami's awful OL, who will he make an impact against?  

Here's how this will go on JN:

1) Stage 1 (Current):  "He's just a rookie, leave him alone."

2) Stage 2 (Years 2020-21):  "He's showing improvement, leave him alone" (meanwhile he has 6 career sacks while Josh Allen has 27.5 and Ed Oliver is getting Aaron Donald comparisons)

3) Stage 3 (2022):  "The draft pick happened, we can't do anything about it.  Quit whining."

Sounds like @Philc1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Ed Oliver's athleticism scores rivaled Aaron Donald, and he already has 5 sacks.  Of course there's only one Aaron Donald.  He's already basically a lock Hall of Famer.  But when you can get a guy who demonstrates a skillset that makes him a "poor man's Aaron Donald", he's worth taking in the top 10.  

QW definitely has no shot at being Donald or anything close to Donald.  Oliver has a chance.  Big difference.

If he's lucky, maybe he's as good as Marty Lyons.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Quinnen appeared to be unblockable before he got hurt. That's a good sign. 

Avoiding a facemask and doing a better job positioning himself for the sack is something that will come with experience. 

I am not worried about Quinnen's talent. I am more worried that he seems to leave games with injuries fairly often. Could be injury prone or just be the team playing it safe with him. 

He needs to get a year of nfl conditioning. Before training camp I read an article that said he did not have a trainer and just did exercises he got off of you tube. Hopefully he will get a trainer and do some serious work this offseason.

1 hour ago, PepPep said:

QW has had a pretty low impact season. Some of that is attributed to injuries. Some of it is attributed to the depth of the D-line and not getting as much playing time as he would if this defense was desperate for a DT. Some of it is clearly a learning curve he is going through. Its not because he is lazy or not a talented player or somehow 'bad' or even a bust- I don't care who you are you simply can't make that determination yet. 

I know a lot of people will say that you don't draft a player that needs development in the top 5, you draft a guy who will make an immediate impact. But guess what, QW needs some development. He is very young and has immense upside, you can see flashes every game he plays. But it will take some time. Very different from Leo, who came in as a much more polished player. And QW WAS drafted as a DT who can do it all, stuff the run and get to the QB. That is what justified the high selection. He was strong and athletic enough to play multiple positions on the D-line and get to the QB. The hope was to get a guy who you could line up at DE, NT, or DT in a dime and in passing downs he would be able to rush the QB.

Would I have selected Josh Allen in hindsight? Sure. The dude is a monster and filled a huge need for us. I was a fan of both QW and Allen. But that doesn't nec. make QW a bad player. And if he DOES start getting to the QB from the inside in the next couple of years, that will make a huge impact b/c I assure you, in the mean time the Jets will be looking for an edge rusher in FA and the draft.   

yep.  another guy whose sin is to have been selected higher than he should have given his rookie year production.  myles garrett did nearly nothing his first season.  but when he did get on the field he made an impact.  i'm not putting qwill in garrett's category but he is still a rookie who's been dinged up all year.  he's made some nice plays and even though he grabbed fitz's facemask, he right there in his face and getting penetration from his position.  that's more than leo got in 5 seasons.  give this kid another training camp and see what kind of player he can be.

7 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

It’s not fair to give up after a rookie after barely one year especially after an injury plagued year.  Gotta give him time to be fair.  

We have no choice but to "be patient" unless Douglas decides to trade Q for a big package of picks (seems unlikely).  That doesn't mean we shouldn't have expected him to put up some numbers as a rookie.  He was billed as the best defensive player in the draft.  He has 1.5 sacks and 1 FR thru 11 games (7 starts) under a competent Defensive Coordinator.  Not good, no matter how much the spin team wants to suggest he's been a "force" in the middle for us.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JiF said:

It's weird.  That first series, he was the most disruptive we've seen him all year long and then I dont remember seeing him at all on the field after that serious.  I havent see the official snap count yet, wonder we he ended up.  

well he was being triple teamed ...just a lil Jetnation humor there.... hell he may have had half the offense on him cause hes so disruptive

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I actually think if you go back and re-watch it he had a pretty good game. Definitely had some pressure up the middle on a few plays and was stuffing the run.

Not what you want from the 3rd overall pick but I thought he played pretty well.

Agreed.  He was disruptive.  Played a good game.

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

If he can't make an impact against Miami's awful OL, who will he make an impact against?  

2) Stage 2 (Years 2020-21):  "He's showing improvement, leave him alone" (meanwhile he has 6 career sacks while Josh Allen has 27.5 and Ed Oliver is getting Aaron Donald comparisons)

3) Stage 3 (2022):  "The draft pick happened, we can't do anything about it.  Quit whining."

Stage 3 is quite correct. 

That said, Josh Allen was the better pick if we indeed could not have moved down in the draft.

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Savage69 said:

Also which Defence did the draft pick go to?? Going to the Bills may make a player look better if he's surrounded with other good players..

True, especially if you are talking about, in our case, an offensive pick, but we are talking defense—where most of our picks start and end—so I’m not sure that’s the case. With Leo, he had Snacks, Mo, and Sheldon. That, at the time, was an unreal lineup. And currently, I don’t think our defense is that bad, so I don’t even ponder that as an excuse in this case. 

Its F'in heart breaking!

Draft the mother f'in pass rusher for God sakes!!!!!!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

both amazing and accurate

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Same thing was said about Leo, scheme hurts him.  Not mean to get sacks.
In any case he was an AWFUL pick because you do not pick a guy 3rd overall to not get sacks.
The blame for this falls squarely on chris johnson for being too utterly stupid to not fire mac and thus let him screw up one last off season
Exactly! You let him partake in the signing of our next HC, let him do the draft and Free Agency, then you fire him?

What kind of backwards BS were they trying to pull? Let's hope Douglas is much better in building a team....at this point he cant be much worse than McCaggnan

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Add that “he’s gets double teamed” 

12 minutes ago, Pac said:

As if this season hasn't been painful enough, I have to keep reading variations of this absolutely ridiculous thread every 3 days.

Is the implication that we should stop discussing another of Maccagnan’s terrible draft picks, or that Quinnen Williams has actually been playing well? Trying to decide which is funnier

• Sympathy 1

Just now, dbatesman said:

Is the implication that we should stop discussing another of Maccagnan’s terrible draft picks, or that Quinnen Williams has actually been playing well? Trying to decide which is funnier

Q has been fine.  Was continually in the backfield yesterday before getting injured.  These definitive declarations of bustdom about a 21 year old rookie when you have no idea what he's being asked to do is grotesque.  Might be a new low for the ilk.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Pac said:

Q has been fine.  Was continually in the backfield yesterday before getting injured.  These definitive declarations of bustdom about a 21 year old rookie when you have no idea what he's being asked to do is grotesque.  Might be a new low for the ilk.

Hell yeah

21 hours ago, Pac said:

As if this season hasn't been painful enough, I have to keep reading variations of this absolutely ridiculous thread every 3 days.

21 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Paccagnan 

20 hours ago, dbatesman said:

20 hours ago, Pac said:

Q has been fine ? Hes non existent with one play here and one play there. The key to being a great or even a good football player is consistency and staying healthy and Q has not even approached step one. The only thing he has going is that he's young but every other DL drafted around him seem to be playing pretty damn good... and guess what ? they are young too. Also how many different injuries has he had this year so far ? It's funny every freaking year some clown who's supposed to be the best player in the draft falls to the Jets and then promptly sucks balls we had both Williams fall to us what a lucky team we are.