Help me because I am stupid--Jets rush defense

So the Jets are the lowest in rushing defense peer attempt at 3.0 yards/A. The next lowest is 3.4yards/A.

They have allowed the second lowest number of yards total rushing.

Why is this? What players are affecting this stat?

And I know, being great against the rush in 2019 is like having an 8-track player. Spare me that speech.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

Greg williams has done a great job. They seem to always be ready for what’s coming. Very solid fundamentals with tackling and gaps. 

The entire Dline is playing well and every linebacker that has to step up due to injury knows what to do 

kind of performance that gets coaches head coaching interviews 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 2

Well, I guess it's the one benefit that comes with investing far more assets into DT than any other position on the entire team.

In the end, it comes down to the matter that the Jets' entire front 7 is strong against run, and weak against the pass (both in coverage, and pass rush).  It's also further aided by the rather constant 8th man in the box.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Barry McCockinner said:

If the Ravens are the wall you need to break through to get to the Superbowl for the next 5-10 years, is this still true?

I feel like having a 1,000 yard QB skews rushing stats. I’d be surprised if Lamar doesn’t get 80+ against us 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Well, I guess it's the one benefit that comes with investing far more assets into DT than any other position on the entire team.

In the end, it comes down to the matter that the Jets' entire front 7 is strong against run, and weak against the pass (both in coverage, and pass rush).  It's also further aided by the rather constant 8th man in the box.

Back to my original question, in part. What players have been stand outs here.

12 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Back to my original question, in part. What players have been stand outs here.

Hard to attribute stopping the run to one player since it is a team effort but I think looking at the snap count could help.

Adams/Maye lead the way.  

Kyle Philips has played the most snaps on the DL.  And believe it or not, Q. Will is next.   Followed by McClendon, Anderson and Fatuski.  

Hewitt has played the most at LB.  Cashman next.  Followed by Jenkins and Burgess.

It also helps that Poole/Roberts are willing tacklers.  

So it's a group effort but I think you're probably looking at those guys with the most snap counts; Adams, Maye, Phillips, McClendon, Hewitt, Jenkins, etc. sprinkle in some corner help. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

17 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Actually I think we got better after cutting those guys. 

• Sympathy 1

10 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

It’s because playoff teams score a lot of points and, thus, force their opponents to pass in order to keep pace. 

Except, 6 of the teams (including the Jets) that are top 10 in rushing yards allowed, have winning record.

In contrast, 5 of the teams that are in top 10 in passing yards allowed, have winning records.

So your summation does not hold water on its own.

4 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Except, 6 of the teams (including the Jets) that are top 10 in rushing yards allowed, have winning record.

In contrast, 5 of the teams that are in top 10 in passing yards allowed, have winning records.

So your summation does not hold water on its own.

Huh? 

The impressive thing isn't the rushing yards allowed.  The impressive thing is ypa. 

• Upvote 1

We invest 100 billion dollars in lbs who are hurt from game one and invest high picks in DTs who are hurt and under achieve and yet with jags on the dline and at ilb we still have a good run defense.

Proof that you do not put big assets into ilb and DTs who cannot rush the passer.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Being great against the rush in 2019 is like  having an 8-track player.

Maybe... then again the 49ers and Ravens are the two best teams in the NFL and everything starts and ends with running the football for them. Same with Seattle and Rams last year... 

that said Lamar will run for 150+ against us 

• Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, nico002 said:

Maybe... then again the 49ers and Ravens are the two best teams in the NFL and everything starts and ends with running the football for them. Same with Seattle and Rams last year... 

that said Lamar will run for 150+ against us 

Those teams score points like @joewilly12 streams k-pop videos on YouTube 

Our run defense has always been good.  I remember hoping that the other team had a third and one, because it meant they may try to run the ball for the first down, and we had a better chance at stopping them than if they passed. So third and one was much better for us than third and 7.  And teams ALWAYS made the first down passing on third down against us.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

I feel like having a 1,000 yard QB skews rushing stats. I’d be surprised if Lamar doesn’t get 80+ against us 

This game scares the sh*t out of me regarding Lamars running. Uh, just look how easy it was for Fitz to get the edge & imagine Fitz with flames ? shooting out of his azz propelling him. That's how Lamar Jackson will look Thursday Night. 

I know fans are not supposed to wish injury on anyone but running QBs are a different story. I was screaming for someone to take Fitz head off yesterday! Not only did he run, he used the fear defenders have of creaming the QB by cutting inside & splitting 2 defenders.

1 hour ago, Bleedin Green said:

except the only guy remaining from the 1st round dline pick mania is qwill.  the rest of the guys are from lower rounds or free agents.

• Upvote 1