JoJoTownsell1

Sam Darnold- Officially our "Franchise QB" 12/8/19

9 minutes ago, Apache 51 said:

Actually playing a defense, should be interesting.

Yup.  Hostile environment, aggressive defense etc.

He doesnt have to win the game, but show me you can play well in a big game against a good defense.

If he has a pick or two because he is being aggressive, that is ok.  

We are 2 years in.  Its time for Sam Darnold to shut up the naysayers like myself and have a good game in a big spot.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

When your 22 year old QB goes 20/36 for 270YDs, 2TDs and 1 INT in a winning cause......and the fanbase is furious that he didn't play well, you KNOW you've found your FRANCHISE QB. 

I'm just glad those idiots are not the GM of this team

OK, wait,

first of all, who is furious?

That said, 20-36 (55%) is not exactly lighting it up, especially for not having 300 yards and having only one more TD than pick.

Maybe that's a JETS Franchise QB statistics...not anything to write home about. And, it WAS a gift, but correct, review. It was as feeble a game-winning drive as I've seen recently.

BUT, it sure beats losing 21-19 so, yay!!! [hint of sarcasm]

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, SAR I said:

Let's see.....

* Mononucleosis shelves him for an entire month.

* 4 of 5 offensive linemen playing out of position or on IR.

* Quincy Enunwa misses entire season.

* Chris Herndon misses entire season.

* WR3 a practice squad caliber player all season.

* 31st Rushing offense second-worst in the entire league.

* Lowest rated OL in the entire league.

Then goes 5-4 upon his return from illness.

Then wins 4 of last 5 games. 

Then leads strong 4th quarter comebacks. 

Then beats winning teams in DAL and OAK as home underdog.

We are okay at QB, folks.  If this awful season has proven anything, it's that Darnold can win games with an awful supporting cast, minimize turnovers, generate touchdowns, move the ball, and is a leader of men.

SAR I

Couldn't agree more

1 hour ago, Creepy Lurker said:

I was hoping someone recognized that lyric. Although REM is absolutely not metal. 

Hey, they're as much a metal band as Jamal Adams is an elite, shutdown safety.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

Im well aware of the bad calls this franchise has endured over the years but in all reality our QB should have just stomped Miami into the ground for the entire game and been kneeling down for the last series. I'm not a SOJF I've been optimistic for 45 + years and I keep getting kicked in the teeth. We have another sh*t QB who like I said in the past will be lucky to be a middle of the road guy. His ceiling might just be Joe Flacco without the SB

I am not a SOJF guy. Also, his ceiling might be a QB that won a Super Bowl. Except this guy won't win a Super Bowl lol.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Yup.  Hostile environment, aggressive defense etc.

He doesnt have to win the game, but show me you can play well in a big game against a good defense.

If he has a pick or two because he is being aggressive, that is ok.  

We are 2 years in.  Its time for Sam Darnold to shut up the naysayers like myself and have a good game in a big spot.

Oh trust me Sam doesn't have to do that, we are getting really close to taking care of it ourselves.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

8 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

When your 22 year old QB goes 20/36 for 270YDs, 2TDs and 1 INT in a winning cause......and the fanbase is furious that he didn't play well, you KNOW you've found your FRANCHISE QB. 

bingo.

apples to apples.

8 hours ago, Legend Killa7 said:

exactly.  just like the texans game last year...and the Browns game last year.....both times, Sam had the 4th qtr come from behind win in hand...and then the defense gave it up and we lost both games.

same happened yesterday, but this time, Sam went right back down the field yet again and won the game.  progress.

and I agree.  the fact that people are complaining about this guy shows just how good he is!  we would have all killed for a performance like that out of Geno, or Hack, etc etc etc

You left out Green Bay the week after Houston last year....38 points 3 TDs 350 yards....he was etching a notch into his belt “Win over Aaron Rodgers at 21 years old”.....then with almost no time left....Bowles D “did its thing”.  The Kid has put up 30+ points in about 1/2 his starts since “the light went on” when he came back for the last 4 games of 2018 into this year.

This is why I adjust his W-L record (Houston, Green Bay etc)...and it irks some people.  But I do it knowing that Sanchez, Pennington, Geno Smith would have won no more than 3 games playing with this OL and lack of play makers...over the same number of games Darnold has played....that should really put things into perspective.  

Darnold has leaks in his game that I am confident he will correct (he already corrected an “elongated” throwing motion coming out of college to having Brian Baldinger totally marvel at how lightning quick his release was on that play in his own end zone last week where he had a defender draped all over him)....but he IS going to be a Franchise QB.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

You left out Green Bay the week after Houston last year....38 points 3 TDs 350 yards....he was etching a notch into his belt “Win over Aaron Rodgers at 21 years old”.....then with almost no time left....Bowles D “did its thing”.  The Kid has put up 30+ points in about 1/2 his starts since “the light went on” when he came back for the last 4 games of 2018 into this year.

This is why I adjust his W-L record (Houston, Green Bay etc)...and it irks some people.  But I do it knowing that Sanchez, Pennington, Geno Smith would have won no more than 3 games playing with this OL and lack of play makers...over the same number of games Darnold has played....that should really put things into perspective.  

Darnold has leaks in his game that I am confident he will correct (he already corrected an “elongated” throwing motion coming out of college to having Brian Baldinger totally marvel at how lightning quick his release was on that play in his own end zone last week where he had a defender draped all over him)....but he IS going to be a Franchise QB.

I actually initially had the Packers game in there but then removed it because the point I was trying to make was 4th qtr comebacks, and the Jets were winning pretty much the whole game.  actually, now that I think about it, did the Pack actually take the lead in the 4th qtr?  maybe they did - I forget.  bt yes, that was another great game out of Sam.  unfortunately, he never got a chance in the OT.

17 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

It's great when a franchise that never gets a call in their favor FINALLY gets that call and SOJFs like yourself use it as a reason to bash our Franchise QB.  

How dare the Refs call interference when one of our players get interfered with!!!!

It’s so frustrating.  Some commentator on nfl radio last night used it as an example of how bad officiating is in the nfl. “A pi call that led to the jets winning the game”. And only s few other examples. Like that was the most egregious example of all the games on Sunday. Oh please! Players know to try and create pi calls at the end of the game at this point to try and drive down the field. And of course the horrible calls that let Miami get all those field goals get immediately forgotten 

2 minutes ago, Xtina said:

It’s so frustrating.  Some commentator on nfl radio last night used it as an example of how bad officiating is in the nfl. “A pi call that led to the jets winning the game”. And only s few other examples. Like that was the most egregious example of all the games on Sunday. Oh please! Players know to try and create pi calls at the end of the game at this point to try and drive down the field. And of course the horrible calls that let Miami get all those field goals get immediately forgotten 

Miami had 3+ bogus calls that led to field goals for them in previous drives 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Warfish said:

Now you've got me curious....and look like you're right.

Darnold (First Two Years):  23 Games - 455 for 761 (59.8%) for 5,289 Yards (7.0 YPA, 11.6 YPC, 230 YPG), 32 TD, 26 INT (3.4% INT), 58 Sacks.

Sanchez (First Two Years):  31 Games - 474 for 871 (54.4%) for 5,735 Yards (6.6 YPA, 12.1 YPC, 185 YPG), 29 TD, 33 INT (3.8% INT), 53 Sacks.

Sanchez won alot more (that Roster was vastly better) and was much more durable (only 1 missed game).  Sanchez was less accurate, ledd productive per attempt, threw less TD's, more INT's more frequently, and threw for materially less yards (in part of course because of the great running game).

What's funny, is I can distinctly remember hearing exactly the same argument for Sanchez we hear today for Darnold, in some cases by the same posters.  But the difference is, frankly, stark.  Darnold's numbers are mediocre (or Ramsey'esque, lol) but they are materially better than Sanchez on a per-game basis. 

We'll perhaps see again when Darnold finished his 31 start sometime earlymid-2020.

ood

Good post. Thanks for doing the work that I was too lazy to do myself. Remember the yahoos back on JI that tried comparing Mark Sanchez to ELI MANNING? They claimed he had very similar numbers and was ready to "break out" just Eli did and win the SB. LOL

I'm under no illusions, Sammy needs to improve. But it's hard to tell just how good he could be this year given the talent situation surrounding him? This might be the very least talented roster in team history? Sammy has a 5-4 record this season when QBing a team that SUCKED at drafting since about 2009? This franchise is NOT an environment that's conducive to winning/success. Yet Sammy had managed to carve out a winning record at 22 years old. How anyone couldn't be excited for his future I will never know.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Legend Killa7 said:

I actually initially had the Packers game in there but then removed it because the point I was trying to make was 4th qtr comebacks, and the Jets were winning pretty much the whole game.  actually, now that I think about it, did the Pack actually take the lead in the 4th qtr?  maybe they did - I forget.  bt yes, that was another great game out of Sam.  unfortunately, he never got a chance in the OT.

No...you’re right.  My mistake.

I guess I just wanted that game recognized since the numbers were great for Darnold...again, making lots of plays, with not much of a team around him, and leading the team in a game that should have been won over Aaron Rodgers.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

No...you’re right.  My mistake.

I guess I just wanted that game recognized since the numbers were great for Darnold...again, making lots of plays, with not much of a team around him, and leading the team in a game that should have been won over Aaron Rodgers.

no I agree 100%.  It was a great game for him, and should be "counted" - but just didn't fit into my argument.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Maxman said:

Oh trust me Sam doesn't have to do that, we are getting really close to taking care of it ourselves.

I trust you Boss. 

14 hours ago, phill1c said:

3 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I'm just glad those idiots are not the GM of this team

OK, wait,

first of all, who is furious?

That said, 20-36 (55%) is not exactly lighting it up, especially for not having 300 yards and having only one more TD than pick.

Maybe that's a JETS Franchise QB statistics...not anything to write home about. And, it WAS a gift, but correct, review. It was as feeble a game-winning drive as I've seen recently.

BUT, it sure beats losing 21-19 so, yay!!! [hint of sarcasm]

The best part of this post is that it takes you 2 sentences before you start proving my point. Thanks

16 minutes ago, Legend Killa7 said:

no I agree 100%.  It was a great game for him, and should be "counted" - but just didn't fit into my argument.

You would NEVER....EVER see Pennington, even pre-surgery, forget Sanchez of course, take a lead...late...and hand the game off to his D to close out, putting up close to 40 points, with virtually no personnel that can help him, as most other QBs have (that point can not be stressed enough, and it even holds true still today due to Mr Coffee) while in a gunfight with Aaron Rodgers.

That right there gives you an inkling that “yeah, we probably have a future Franchise QB here”.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

The best part of this post is that it takes you 2 sentences before you start proving my point. Thanks

Sure, happy to help you out...Although I would say that I'm just making MY point because who the hell knows what your point actually is/was?

Ummm It’s against the Dolphins. 

also should of had two more picks. 

Also two more picks? Please tell me you’re not talking about the throw the DB tried to INT and looked like a fool on the replay? He wasn’t even close to deflecting it. What was the other?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, nico002 said:

Miami had 3+ bogus calls that led to field goals for them in previous drives 

If we listen to the forum, the Jets are the only team in the NFL to never get a bad call in their favor, and always get bad calls in other teams favor because of the vast ref-wing conspiracy to hold the Jets down.

There is nothing more laughable that discussion of calls here.

For clarity, it was PI.  Ticky tack PI.  If we were on the other end, and NY overruled the on-field Refs, and called a foul not called, and it changed the outcome as it did, this forum would have been livid.  Not writing posts about how legit the call was.

We got a call.  We should be happy, sometimes that how it goes.  

22 minutes ago, Jetmech said:

Also two more picks? Please tell me you’re not talking about the throw the DB tried to INT and looked like a fool on the replay? He wasn’t even close to deflecting it. What was the other?

I dont know what the OP is pointing to, but sideline to RA a good FS picks that. Also, the play where Robby had to try to play DB and didnt do a great job.

22 hours ago, RonaldJet said:

Ummm It’s against the Dolphins. 

also should of had two more picks. 

1. The Dolphins beat us last time. This time we had even more players out with injuries. 

2. Should have had more yards, completions, possibly TDs if not for multiple drive ending drops.  Coulda shoulda woulda.

Look, we can keep going like this but the fact is it all comes down to how you determine what a Franchise QB is. Is it just someone who passes the eye test? Does the guy have to prove himself? To what degree? Everyone has their own idea of what a Franchise QB is. To me, he's gotta pass the eye test and he's gotta be able to win under pressure. He's gotta be able to put together game winning drives and hes gotta be able to win in the playoffs. Sam is almost there. He's passed the eye test for me and he's already put together some game winning drives. Now the Jets need to get to the playoffs and he needs to show he can win when it really matters.   

I dont know what the OP is pointing to, but sideline to RA a good FS picks that. Also, the play where Robby had to try to play DB and didnt do a great job.

I guess the under throw would be another.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sam Darnold is 9-14 as a starter and they just beat a team with 80 mil less in roster spend by a point 

lets not order his bust for Canton quite yet 

• Haha 1
  • Butt Fumble 1

36 minutes ago, Warfish said:

If we listen to the forum, the Jets are the only team in the NFL to never get a bad call in their favor, and always get bad calls in other teams favor because of the vast ref-wing conspiracy to hold the Jets down.

There is nothing more laughable that discussion of calls here.

For clarity, it was PI.  Ticky tack PI.  If we were on the other end, and NY overruled the on-field Refs, and called a foul not called, and it changed the outcome as it did, this forum would have been livid.  Not writing posts about how legit the call was.

We got a call.  We should be happy, sometimes that how it goes.  

Not going to get into some of the other calls or how many calls the Jets get vs. other teams BUT, the PI call that determined the result of this game was not ticky tack AT ALL. It was BLATANT and the whole reason the rule was implemented in the first place. Off hand on WR shoulder before the ball arrives, turns the WR around and completely impacts his ability to make the catch. BLATANT.

I don't know about other Jet fans but if it was the Jets that were on the losing end b/c of said PI, I would be furious at said Jet player for costing us the game, not the refs. 

Just now, PepPep said:

I don't know about other Jet fans but if it was the Jets that were on the losing end b/c of said PI, I would be furious at said Jet player for costing us the game, not the refs. 

this

• Butt Fumble 1

ps- there is an MVP front runner who is " only 22 years old"

On 12/10/2019 at 2:05 PM, bitonti said:

Sam Darnold is 9-14 as a starter and they just beat a team with 80 mil less in roster spend by a point 

lets not order his bust for Canton quite yet 

We have about that much on IR at this point. 

10 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

ps- there is an MVP front runner who is " only 22 years old"

I shutter to think how this forum would have treated Lamar after their playoff game last year...and how many injuries he might have behind our line.

Love him as a player and delighted to see him delivering when so many doubted him.

• Upvote 1

also the MVP front ruuner is alnost the exact height and weight of OJ Simpson

lets all breath fellas. sam has his faults but lets get him a line. hes shown flashes shown happy feaet (so did peyton) but if we invest in an oline next year and he has not shown improvement we can start questioning him.  lets give him a year with douglas in the off season. i still worry about gases schemes, but i believe he can be the man for the job if he has some time. maybe thats blind optimism but i feel more comfortable with him under center then any other qb we have had in the past 20 years  (except for that favre run before he blew his arm out) 

• Upvote 1

Just now, CotcheryifyouCan said:

lets all breath fellas. sam has his faults but lets get him a line. hes shown flashes showed happy feaet (so did peyton) but if we invest in an oline next year and he has not shown improvement we can start questioning him.  lets give him a year with douglas in the off season. i still worry about gases schemes, but i believe he can be the man for the job if he has some time. maybe thats blind optimism but i feel more comfortable with him under center then any other qb we have had in the past 20 years  (except for that favre run before he blew his arm out) 

reasonable. no anointing.