A Quick Thought On Rex

THE BARON

4 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Number one against the run, 16 the pass and 6th overall.

Miracle to me

4 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Id take this team over the last 4 of Rex Ryans Jets 

At least this team while being totally undermanned plays hard

How any reasonable fan could be unhappy with the job Gase and Greg Williams have done this year is beyond me.

I don’t care if we get blown out in our last 3 games (which we won’t) this CS is not the problem here.

I have no idea how Joe Douglas is going to do as GM, but if he’s as good as these two, we’re going to be just fine in a couple of years.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

Mark Sanchez SUCKS

Yeah, that's the forum narrative.

All those geniuses who thought we should get rid of a 23 year old with 4 road playoff wins instead of investing in an offensive head coach, a real offensive coordinator, a real quarterback coach, and real receivers, man, they were sooo smart.

How'd that work out for ya, genius?  Would you like a cup of Greg McElroy to go with your Geno Smith?  A bowl of Mike Vick to go with your Christian Hackenberg, perhaps?

History shows you morons who drove Mark Sanchez out of town were dead wrong.  We're about to enter Year 3 of Sam Darnold and he's yet to show half of what Mark did in his first 2 seasons.  And all the other QB's since 2012 have been complete garbage.  We should have nurtured the kid.  We should have coached the kid.  That was the play.  And we blew it.  You, actually, blew it.  Hope you're happy.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, SAR I said:

Yeah, that's the forum narrative.

All those geniuses who thought we should get rid of a 23 year old with 4 road playoff wins instead of investing in an offensive head coach, a real offensive coordinator, a real quarterback coach, and real receivers, man, they were sooo smart.

How'd that work out for ya, genius?  Would you like a cup of Greg McElroy to go with your Geno Smith?  A bowl of Mike Vick to go with your Christian Hackenberg, perhaps?

History shows you morons who drove Mark Sanchez out of town were dead wrong.  We're about to enter Year 3 of Sam Darnold and he's yet to show half of what Mark did in his first 2 seasons.  And all the other QB's since 2012 have been complete garbage.  We should have nurtured the kid.  We should have coached the kid.  That was the play.  And we blew it.  You, actually, blew it.  Hope you're happy.

SAR I

we get it.  things always look better in hindsight. but it wasn't the fans that drove mark out but rex's circus.  the icing on the cake was when they brought those pos 's buress and holmes in.  those guys never even tried to play for sanchez.

29 minutes ago, rangerous said:

we get it.  things always look better in hindsight. but it wasn't the fans that drove mark out but rex's circus.  the icing on the cake was when they brought those pos 's buress and holmes in.  those guys never even tried to play for sanchez.

It was idzik that drove both mark and rex out.

Holmes was great in 2010.

12 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

It was idzik that drove both mark and rex out.

Holmes was great in 2010.

holmes was good in 2010 but the next year he became a huge distraction and didn't show any respect for sanchez.  and let's be clear, idzik may have driven rex and sanchez out but rex didn't do much to help out sanchez and he ran a circus.  rex needed to be replaced.  sanchez could've stayed and possibly would've gotten the coaching he needed.

11 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

How any reasonable fan could be unhappy with the job Gase and Greg Williams have done this year is beyond me.

I don’t care if we get blown out in our last 3 games (which we won’t) this CS is not the problem here.

I have no idea how Joe Douglas is going to do as GM, but if he’s as good as these two, we’re going to be just fine in a couple of years.

Im with you, I can't see what they feel we're missing with Gase at HC.  

As I keep asking and not one person has replied to, how many wins would a McCarthy or Ruhle have added to the Jets?  I could understand if their record was drastically off from what we expected going into the season but if I remember correctly most predictions came in at around 6-10.  Well we're right there and this is after losing Mosely, Avery, Herndon, Enunwa,  etc .I'd assume those player that we're missing and went into the original w/l predictions would have pushed us closer to 8-8 but lets blame the HC for meeting our expectations.

• Sympathy 1

Yes, he was good at coaching up unheralded runstoppers.  

What he was never good at was coaching up anybody else, including pass-rushing DL.  Remember Wilkerson, Richardson, Coples, etc?  Remember how he took a great pass-rushing DL in Buffalo under Jim Schwartz and turned it into garbage?  Yeah.  

Quinnen Williams would not be helped much by Rex's presence, because the hope is he becomes a great pass-rushing DT.  He's already good at stopping the run.  Too bad its 2019, and you need more than that out of a high first round DT.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

What he was never good at was coaching up anybody else, including pass-rushing DL.  Remember Wilkerson, Richardson, Coples, etc?  

Yes, they Couples never did anything and Wilkerson’s best (and only pro bowl) season was in Todd’s first season. 

Richarson had good moments both during and after Rex. 

23 hours ago, THE BARON said:

A quick thought on Rex... 

Along with being a singular talent for calling defense, Rex was/is possibly the best position coach for defensive lineman that the league has seen in a long time.  He did wonders with the players in Baltimore and he also elevated the games of players like Mike DeVito and Pouha.  

IMHO, if Rex was still around, think of what could have been with players like T. Wilkerson,S. Richardson, L. Williams, Q. Williams.

Rex is good at both motivating and teaching technical skills.  I'd venture to say the Jets would be getting a lot more out of those picks if Rex was running the show...

oh no facepalm GIF

23 hours ago, phill1c said:

I think it was more personnel than great defensive genius. I mean, everyone blitzes. It's nothing new. He did have that nobody in a 3-point stance defense,  but that's one trick.

In the end, either you have the personnel and the ability to win man-to-man, or you don't. Once he didn't have Revis and a great DL, he was nothing and had no answers.

The "we should bring Rex back" stuff is ludicrous but this is a little unfair to Rex.

Look at the 2008 defense and then look at the 2009 defense. Revis, Harris, Jenkins, Ellis, etc. were all already here. We went from mediocre to dominant because of Rex.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yes, he was good at coaching up unheralded runstoppers.  

What he was never good at was coaching up anybody else, including pass-rushing DL.  Remember Wilkerson, Richardson, Coples, etc?  Remember how he took a great pass-rushing DL in Buffalo under Jim Schwartz and turned it into garbage?  Yeah.  

Quinnen Williams would not be helped much by Rex's presence, because the hope is he becomes a great pass-rushing DT.  He's already good at stopping the run.  Too bad its 2019, and you need more than that out of a high first round DT.  

Rex literally saved the 2009 season after Kris Jenkins went on IR coaching up Pouha to be an elite NT

pouha was also huge for us in 2010

Rex is the best coach the jets had since Parcells it’s really not even close and oh yeah the numbers back it up

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

The "we should bring Rex back" stuff is ludicrous but this is a little unfair to Rex.

Look at the 2008 defense and then look at the 2009 defense. Revis, Harris, Jenkins, Ellis, etc. were all already here. We went from mediocre to dominant because of Rex.

We aren’t bringing back Rex take a chill pill we aren’t even firing Gase for another 2 years even after we go 5-11 with a roster that probably should have at least competed for a wildcard

I would be in favor of bringing back Rex for this reason. I believe his philosophy of winning football is similar to mine which is having a strong running game and a top five defense even in today’s pass happy league. Strong running game and defense has proven to be a sustainable winning combination through out the history of the league and always will be. If you have both those elements you control game and if you control the game the odds of winning are greatly improved. An old fashioned outlook on how game should be played but hey what can I tell you I am old 

6 hours ago, rangerous said:

holmes was good in 2010 but the next year he became a huge distraction and didn't show any respect for sanchez.  and let's be clear, idzik may have driven rex and sanchez out but rex didn't do much to help out sanchez and he ran a circus.  rex needed to be replaced.  sanchez could've stayed and possibly would've gotten the coaching he needed.

Holmes was outstanding in 2010, 2011 was a different story. Bet got paid and was poisoned by Derrick Mason and plaxico burress.  They had a great group in 2010, unfortunately they couldn't keep them all together and that's where Mark's career turned.

• Upvote 1

On 12/10/2019 at 4:33 PM, Villain The Foe said:

Mangini didnt make the playoffs with Brett Favre because Favre got injured during that 8-3 start to the season, and he was playing with a torn biceps tendon and a bad shoulder, both on his throwing arm during the last 2 months of that season. Because of that the Jets went 1-4 over the last 5 games 

Mangini and Tanny were both fined 25K for not putting Favre on the injury report as well as issuing a fine to the organization.

Quote from this 2009 ESPN article: "Last week, Tannenbaum admitted the Jets should have listed Favre as "probable" on their injury reports. That came a day after Favre said he thought he was hurting the Jets because of the injury and discussed it with the coaches and the front office. He said he would have been willing to sit out, even though that would have ended his streak of consecutive starts, which now stands at 270 games."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/news/story?id=4478429

Favre was clearly not himself to the point where he thought that he was "hurting the team by playing". Had he'd been healthy, I think the story would have been different. Furthermore, had they benched Favre maybe we would have won atleast 1 more game with a healthy back up. 

If Rex had Favre mediocre year with the Jets 22 TD 22 INT 65% completion

instead of Sanchez 12 TD 20 INT 53% completion. 

The Jets had a good chance to win the SB with Rex number one defense and always put in bad position with Sanchez at QB.

On 12/10/2019 at 9:48 AM, THE BARON said:

A quick thought on Rex... 

Along with being a singular talent for calling defense, Rex was/is possibly the best position coach for defensive lineman that the league has seen in a long time.  He did wonders with the players in Baltimore and he also elevated the games of players like Mike DeVito and Pouha.  

IMHO, if Rex was still around, think of what could have been with players like T. Wilkerson,S. Richardson, L. Williams, Q. Williams.

Rex is good at both motivating and teaching technical skills.  I'd venture to say the Jets would be getting a lot more out of those picks if Rex was running the show...

It's amazing how dumb the posters on this site can be, right? They're all trying to sack Rex, meanwhile as if these dingbats are better off with ?and Gase.

• Sympathy 1

5 hours ago, DRJETS said:

If Rex had Favre mediocre year with the Jets 22 TD 22 INT 65% completion

instead of Sanchez 12 TD 20 INT 53% completion. 

The Jets had a good chance to win the SB with Rex number one defense and always put in bad position with Sanchez at QB.

And I said that if Mangini was the coach and Rex the DC we probably would have had a SB appearance.

On 12/11/2019 at 10:23 AM, Philc1 said:

Rex literally saved the 2009 season after Kris Jenkins went on IR coaching up Pouha to be an elite NT

pouha was also huge for us in 2010

Rex is the best coach the jets had since Parcells it’s really not even close and oh yeah the numbers back it up

Yes but being the tallest midget means what?  He is a below 500 coach, made Buffalo worse and never got involved in offense, simply let Shotty or whoever he hired, run with it.  Baltimore let him walk and has never looked back.   Harbaugh is a true professional coach.   Rex is a character, as is his brother. Rex doesn't have the mental fortitude to be prepared for a full 16 games, both sides of the ball, player development etc and then the playoffs.  He simply isn't capable.  and the numbers back it up. 

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Yes but being the tallest midget means what?  He is a below 500 coach, made Buffalo worse and never got involved in offense, simply let Shotty or whoever he hired, run with it.  Baltimore let him walk and has never looked back.   Harbaugh is a true professional coach.   Rex is a character, as is his brother. Rex doesn't have the mental fortitude to be prepared for a full 16 games, both sides of the ball, player development etc and then the playoffs.  He simply isn't capable.  and the numbers back it up. 

We’ve all had bosses like Rex: fun rah-rah guys who’d take the office staff out for shots on Thursday nights. Production would spike for a while, then fall off when the employees realized they could call out with hangovers every Friday and not face any penalty. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

And I said that if Mangini was the coach and Rex the DC we probably would have had a SB appearance.

Mangini as the GM backed up by a lawyer for contract language and Rex as the HC/DC.  Superbowl and a BOATLOAD of fun on the way there... 

"And I said that if Mangini was the coach and Rex the DC we probably would have had a SB appearance..."

Yeah, he's the most under appreciated head coach in league history, behind David Shula.

The guy was hated by the players and did nothing inspiring or innovative and was generally an arrogant ass. He was a poorly executed plan to weaken the Pats, thereby propelling them to their dynastic status.

But, he WAS in a Sopranos episode...