It is amazing how timing is everything

ASH1962

Just lamenting over another lost season, what if.....

We played NE 2 X now (we would possibly win 1 or even both games)

We played Jax now (They are a mess)

We played PHL now (They are a mess and are VERY beatable)

We played Cle now (They are a hot mess as well)

All of these teams were whole and on fire the first few weeks of the season when we played them without Sam where we literally had zero chance with Luke Falk at QB. If we would have had the reverse schedule and played the pattycake teams earlier, muddled through to say 4-4 or 3-5 is record. We may have had the chance to win a lot more games nearing the end of the season and even competed for the division. Pit sucked in the beginning of the season and now is winning again every week. Bal was winning but not dominating as they are now. Also have to wonder if we were in contention, would we have lost to winless Mia and Cin?

Our timing, as usual, sucks LOL, but this is not the team's fault, it is just the way things unfortunately go for the NY Jets.

Hoping one year soon our luck and timing will turn around and we can get some breaks like other teams like NE PIT BAL always seem to get.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

@ASH1962 I’m going to use Cleveland as an example here. They were 0-1 when we played them, they weren’t “on fire”. 

After they beat us, they fell to 2-6. They have since won 4-5, just like we have. They will also probably win at least two of their final three against Washington, Baltimore and Cincinnati. They are one of two teams to have beaten Baltimore so they might win that one also, although I doubt it.

Their final record will be either 8-8 or 9-7. So they will have finished “strong” at either 6-2 or 7-1 over their final 8 games.

Now that we’re done with the easy part of our schedule, our remaining games are Baltimore, Pittsburgh and Buffalo. I’ll be really optimistic and say we will win one of those, which will leave us at 6-10. Most likely though, we end up 5-11.

The last month has been fun, we got to see a bunch of wins, and we were all happy. In 3 weeks when we look back though, we’re going to realize we’re the same team we’ve been the last 4 years, and picking around #6 once again.

@slats As I mentioned I think most have enjoyed this stretch of wins, but they were tempered by the opening day collapse and the mono thing, like you said. The losses to Miami and Cincinnati also made it hard to get excited about the wins we did have as far as them meaning much in the big picture.

• Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

18 minutes ago, slats said:

I would've hoped that winning four of their last five games would've raised the spirits around here a little bit, but I guess I've come to know better. 

To each their own. 

My "spirits" enjoyed the wins, especially the Redskins win for obvious reasons, but these wins are what they are.

i.e. Garbage time wins after we've long been de facto eliminated from contention vs. teams with records like 2-11 (Giants), 3-10 (Phins), 3-10 (Redskins). 

Combine all their wins, and those three teams would still be out of contention in 2019, lol.

The win vs. the Raiders (6-7 and collapsing looks like) was very spirit raising, but was countered by a spirit crushing and embarrassing defeat to the (at the time) 0-10 Bengals.  

My spirits would like to see wins vs. Pittsburgh (8-5) and Buffalo (9-4) to close out the season 7-9.  Those would be impressive wins vs. beatable teams, spirit raising wins, especially if the wins are led by Darnold playing well.

Beaten beaten up in our 3 remaining games and finishing 5-11 is same old same old.  No spirit raising from that.

JMO.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, ASH1962 said:

All of these teams were whole and on fire the first few weeks of the season when we played them without Sam where we literally had zero chance with Luke Falk at QB. If we would have had the reverse schedule and played the pattycake teams earlier, muddled through to say 4-4 or 3-5 is record. We may have had the chance to win a lot more games nearing the end of the season and even competed for the division. Pit sucked in the beginning of the season and now is winning again every week. Bal was winning but not dominating as they are now. Also have to wonder if we were in contention, would we have lost to winless Mia and Cin?

Our timing, as usual, sucks LOL, but this is not the team's fault, it is just the way things unfortunately go for the NY Jets.

Hoping one year soon our luck and timing will turn around and we can get some breaks like other teams like NE PIT BAL always seem to get.

Good post.  Schedule sequencing is a very big deal in the NFL.  The Bills are in the process of finding that out. 

SAR I

42 minutes ago, ASH1962 said:

Great thread, well thought out post.  

If Sam didnt get injured and the OL had the line up it currently does, I think we would have been much more competitive in those games even without reversing the schedule. 

10 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

It's a shame we caught the 1-12 Bengals just as they were peaking...

Lol, actually the timing was terrible. The Bengals picked the Jets at home to bring back Dalton into the starting lineup & he was out to prove himself with a huge chip on his shoulder. Other teams got to face the backup. 

Daltons quick release was a bad matchup for our sh*tty secondary & Adams getting hurt early. 

• Sympathy 2

2 hours ago, ASH1962 said:

Dude....   we barely beat the fins and lost to the Bengals.   

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

My spirits would like to see wins vs. Pittsburgh (8-5) and Buffalo (9-4) to close out the season 7-9.  Those would be impressive wins vs. beatable teams, spirit raising wins, especially if the wins are led by Darnold playing well.

Beaten beaten up in our 3 remaining games and finishing 5-11 is same old same old.  No spirit raising from that.

pretty much this.

fact is that we've looked decent only three times so far this year. Dallas, Wash and Oak.

Sam @ -22.3 DVOA

that's sad.

33 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

The constant negative drivel is just out of hand you sir need the hug, good day.

You’re right, I could always use a hug.

Do me a favor though, could you just point out one thing I said that was negative, and not true in my post?

If you can, I’ll apologize for upsetting you, and make a conscious effort to do better in the future.

26 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

You’re right, I could always use a hug.

Do me a favor though, could you just point out one thing I said that was negative, and not true in my post?

If you can, I’ll apologize for upsetting you, and make a conscious effort to do better in the future.

Dude 90% of that post is pure speculation, and negative thought projections.

3 hours ago, ASH1962 said:

I mentioned this in another thread/post, but even with where we sit, if (and they say it should get done) this year had the extra 17th game and extra playoff spot I think we would still have a pretty decent shot. We play Pitt so we could have gotten the tie breaker on them like we did with the Raiders. We also play the Bills again and with their tough part of their schedule remaining it could have been a fight for a wildcard when we play them at the end. But, all a moot point for 2019 as the new game/playoffs I am talking about can only start at best in 2020. We still have and had as like last weekend a lot to play for as our QB gets important work done for our team like driving the field for game winning FG tries like last week. That situation is much more important to the future than a better draft pick.

8 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Hey your Nationals won a World Series because of timing, don't knock it.  :)

I would never complain.  I only have two rooted-for-my-team titles in my lifetime.

1986 Mets (as a little kid in LI).

2019 Nationals (as an adult down here).

I wouldn't trade either of them.  I'm just sad the team I'm most invested in till now is....probably 5-11.  Again.  

I don't want to be a Red Sox Fan wondering if I will die before the team ever makes it to a Super Bowl in my lifetime.  Not all of us have Jan. 12, 1969 to fall back on.

33 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Dude 90% of that post is pure speculation, and negative thought projections.

?

Sounds like you’re the one speculating and being negative,because you’re the only person who took it that way, but whatever.

I can’t assist you with your reading comprehension though, so you just do you.... 

5 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I would never complain.  I only have two rooted-for-my-team titles in my lifetime.

1986 Mets (as a little kid in LI).

2019 Nationals (as an adult down here).

I wouldn't trade either of them.  I'm just sad the team I'm most invested in till now is....probably 5-11.  Again.  

I don't want to be a Red Sox Fan wondering if I will die before the team ever makes it to a Super Bowl in my lifetime.  Not all of us have Jan. 12, 1969 to fall back on.

I was just commenting on the timing part. The '86 Mets rolled the entire year, timing did not matter to them. You pay that season 10 times, they are winning a bunch. Eventually Buckner would get that ground ball.

Just saying the Nationals peaked at the right time. Congrats on Strasburg btw. I am glad he stayed!

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, slats said:

The schedule looked treacherous before the season. Once they lost on opening day, they were ****ed. After that, losing Darnold to mono was essentially an insurmountable obstacle. I would've hoped that winning four of their last five games would've raised the spirits around here a little bit, but I guess I've come to know better. 

This.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, ASH1962 said:

Ash, you're more intelligent than this? This is still the very same Jets team. It's still that sh*tty team that faced these opponents before. The Jets didn't have a prayer back then and they certainly don't now. No matter how you slice it, this team is worth 5 wins.