Sign in to follow this  
BCJet

AJ Dillon Declared Today

Leonard Fournette, who was 6'0 240 at the combine, finished his college career with 616 carries for 3830 yards - a 6.2 avg and 40 TDs.  Receiving he had 41 catches for 526 yards and 1 TD (12 yard average). He ran 4.51 in his pre-draft.

AJ Dillon, who is 6'0 249 lbs, finished his career with 845 carries for 4382 yards - a 5.2 yard average with 38 TDs.  He had 21 catches for 236 yards (11 yard average) and 2 TDs.  He should run 4.5.

How is it that Fournette, while he played in a tougher conference, was a top 10 pick and Dillon is going to be a "mid-rounder"?  Im a bit biased as Ive watched him for 3 years dominate and I also realize that he isnt going to be a very effective receiving RB, but this kid is faster then he looks, simply because he is huge at 249.  

I can't stand all this stuff with Bell and think he is being criminally underused by our idiot coach, but if we have a shot at AJ in the 4th round, he seems like a guy who will play in the pros for a long time for the cost of a late pick and who can step in and be a valuable contributor in 2021 if we move on from Bell after next year.

• Like 1

Are you really asking why Fournette was such a highly graded RB and why Dillion isn’t being mentioned in his class?   Just look at their running styles.  Dillion has little to no lateral movement, he’s a straight ahead hammer.  Fournette had way more lateral quickness and wiggle for a big back.  Some people are saying that Dillion’s best value may be to switch to a FB/H-back in the NFL.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, sec101row23 said:

Are you really asking why Fournette was such a highly graded RB and why Dillion isn’t being mentioned in his class?   Just look at their running styles.  Dillion has little to no lateral movement, he’s a straight ahead hammer.  Fournette had way more lateral quickness and wiggle for a big back.  Some people are saying that Dillion’s best value may be to switch to a FB/H-back in the NFL.  

Here are the opening sentences from Fournette’s combine report under negatives:

Doesn't make many defenders miss with open field shake. Aggressive, take-on style could lead to shortened career. Struggles to elude sudden traffic at line of scrimmage. Lacks looseness of hips to jump-cut from gap to gap. 

I get why fournette was a high pick but my point is a lot of it was hype as Dalvin Cook who went a full round later is a better player and Dillon has similar stats and running style and is being discussed as going 3 or 4 rounds later then fournette did. 

6 minutes ago, BCJet said:

Doesn't make many defenders miss with open field shake. Aggressive, take-on style could lead to shortened career. Struggles to elude sudden traffic at line of scrimmage. Lacks looseness of hips to jump-cut from gap to gap. 

I get why fournette was a high pick but my point is a lot of it was hype as Dalvin Cook who went a full round later is a better player and Dillon has similar stats and running style and is being discussed as going 3 or 4 rounds later then fournette did. 

But Fournette had way more lateral movement than Dillion.  Just watch what Fournette did at LSU.   Plus I think it could be a stretch that Dillion runs under 4.6.  Maybe he will.  Dillion could be a nice complimentary back though.  

Having watched a lot of tape of Fournette and some of Dillon these two are not in the same category athletically. They just aren't. And I don't see AJ Dillon being 'faster than he looks', he certainly isn't nearly as fast as Fournette. He does not have breakaway speed, which is what so many NFL team covet, which is why he will fall to the later rounds. 

The Jets have too many other needs and not enough draft capital to use their lone 4th round pick on a RB, IMO. Especially if they plan to keep Bell. And if they DO draft someone, I want a guy who can catch out of the backfield and who has blazing speed to break it for a TD. 

• Upvote 1

On 12/11/2019 at 9:31 AM, BCJet said:

Not comparable prospects.  Fournette was so dynamic coming into college, he was returning kicks at LSU.  And was really good at it. 

• Upvote 1

On 12/10/2019 at 8:16 PM, BCJet said:

Leonard Fournette, who was 6'0 240 at the combine, finished his college career with 616 carries for 3830 yards - a 6.2 avg and 40 TDs.  Receiving he had 41 catches for 526 yards and 1 TD (12 yard average). He ran 4.51 in his pre-draft.

AJ Dillon, who is 6'0 249 lbs, finished his career with 845 carries for 4382 yards - a 5.2 yard average with 38 TDs.  He had 21 catches for 236 yards (11 yard average) and 2 TDs.  He should run 4.5.

How is it that Fournette, while he played in a tougher conference, was a top 10 pick and Dillon is going to be a "mid-rounder"?  Im a bit biased as Ive watched him for 3 years dominate and I also realize that he isnt going to be a very effective receiving RB, but this kid is faster then he looks, simply because he is huge at 249.  

I can't stand all this stuff with Bell and think he is being criminally underused by our idiot coach, but if we have a shot at AJ in the 4th round, he seems like a guy who will play in the pros for a long time for the cost of a late pick and who can step in and be a valuable contributor in 2021 if we move on from Bell after next year.

229 more carries & gained 552 more yards for 2.4 yd per carry avg... not impressive at all....

I do agree with you in regards to Gase's idiocy... The Best thing the jets can do is get rid of gase.