Something's not right

Copernicus

Something is so not right with Gase/Bell/and the Jets. As the season is playing out it is becoming more clear that they are not on the same page. From Bell going from top offensive threat in the NFL to lack of carries and involvement in the offense, to the obnoxious amount of carries the RBs got on Sunday without Bell,  to the flu that was serious enough for the Jets to make Bell inactive but not serious enough that he would be able to go bowling. Something is not right here. Is Gase the bad guy for not playing him enough throughout the season? Is Bell the bad guy behind the scenes and the bowling incident and lack of awareness of being scene in public is the start of exposing why Gase seems to not like him?

How do you think this plays out? 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Bell is an old back who can’t get through holes, which porks everything you want to do on offense. He’s single-handedly putting Sam Darnold in second and nine all game long. Old backs suck

He's 27 with a year off. You really think its his age that has slowed his productivity? 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Bell is an old back who can’t get through holes, which porks everything you want to do on offense. He’s single-handedly putting Sam Darnold in second and nine all game long. Old backs suck

Powell is better this year. That says it all. It doesnt even say the Powell is goo, just less bad.

• Thumb Down 3

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

+1

Little Known Secret:

The Jets are 5-4 with a healthy Sam Darnold and have won 4 of their last 5 games despite having the 31st rushing offense in the NFL. 

I'm not worried about this Le'Veon Bell drama because I actually don't think he's made any meaningful contributions to this team. We can lose his salary, pick up a young back, and markedly increase production at that position. 

SAR I

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 2

12 minutes ago, SAR I said:

+1

Little Known Secret:

The Jets are 5-4 with a healthy Sam Darnold and have won 4 of their last 5 games despite having the 31st rushing offense in the NFL. 

I'm not worried about this Le'Veon Bell drama because I actually don't think he's made any meaningful contributions to this team. We can lose his salary, pick up a young back, and markedly increase production at that position. 

SAR I

But how are we going to lose his salary? From what was reported on WFAN this morning the cap hit would be 17 million. Cant see how anyone would trade for him knowing  how much it will cost against the cap.

• Sympathy 1

9 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

sport radio in the nroth bay was taking that angle....

Hmmm, ok. But how? Yeah, I am not crazy about promoting his singing career and haven't read anything on him partying or bashing teammates. He seems to follow that up with proclaiming his support of the HC and team. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, JiF said:

I say this stat over and over again but morons keep saying things like Bell is done.  The Jets RB's meet 1st contact at .5  yards past LOS.  League average is 3 yards.  Nobody is going to be successful behind this OL.  3 RB's are utilized by the Jets, the average is 3.3 ypc and everyone of them is having their worst year from a YPC perspective.  Coincidence?  no

Bell looks slow to me too.

This time to first contact is partially bell as well, it's part of his style. I don't know the origina of that stat but in terms of time behind the line, Powell looks to be about 17% less than Bell 2.99 vs 2.48 seconds. Bell is in the upper end of time spent behind the line, but not top 10. 

5 minutes ago, JiF said:

Gase is a egomaniac psychopathic a$$hole who likes to make and prove points rather than do what's best for his team.  It's a was a glaring issue in Miami as he ran all the talent out of town and it's obvious with how he handles any situation he doesnt like; so he went out of his way to alienate Bell and prove a moronic failed point by letting Powell show that nobody can run behind this OL.

I say this stat over and over again but morons keep saying things like Bell is done.  The Jets RB's meet 1st contact at .5  yards past LOS.  League average is 3 yards.  Nobody is going to be successful behind this OL.  3 RB's are utilized by the Jets, the average is 3.3 ypc and everyone of them is having their worst year from a YPC perspective.  Coincidence?  no

An "offensive genius" cant work in 27 year old Le'Veon Bell's skill set but Todd Haley made him the most dynamic playmaker in the NFL.  It's not a good look for Gase just like the Tannehill situation.

Bell has no run over 17 yards! I don't give a RATS AZZ how bad the Oline is, GREAT BACKS with burst break 1 eventually when handed the ball as often as Bell has so far. Powell was busting it up inside for at least 3 yards so we had 2nd & 7 at least! Bells style also creates time for more holding penalties, as he surveys for an opening the line has to hold blocks too long & that leads to grabbing as defenders slide down the line mirroring him. 

Personally, I completely agree with Adam Gase on this, his style is a bad fit for the Jets. You don't see any of this hesitation BS watching Ingram run, Chubb, guys are too f*cking fast on defense to be sliding side to side, unless your playing behind a terrific (athletic) Oline. a Mawae type center, and Guards & Tackles that can move. 

So bash Gase all you want, I don't want the Jets to adapt their entire offense with a 22 year old QB to a RB that MIGHT be here 2 years, that's asinine! 

• Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 2

38 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Maybe. Or maybe the coach is an obstinate dickhead who thinks Frank Gore is the Platonic form of running back, and that's the reason why Bell--far and away the best receiving back in football--is getting 3 fewer targets a game as a receiver on a team whose best pass-catcher is Ryan Griffin than he did on a team whose best pass-catcher was Antonio Brown. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Even Bell cannot make this oline look at all good.

Oh yeah, play design and play calling stinks as well.

Great point, Bell hasnt made anyone around him better, but it only adds to the perplexity of this situation. So by all accounts second year Sam Darnald is better at making the OLINE more productive than Leveon Bell? Doesn't really add up.

27 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Bell is a friggin diva

Trade for David Johnson who has the same skill set as Bell but is actually a good teammate

Bell has been anything but a diva and seems to be a good teammate so if you want to make these statements, at least provide some examples from this year.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

Hmmm, ok. But how? Yeah, I am not crazy about promoting his singing career and haven't read anything on him partying or bashing teammates. He seems to follow that up with proclaiming his support of the HC and team. 

more like...   not getting carries.. i guess i'll call in sick....   they had a clip of his phone call to report the stoledn jewelry..

"how much is it worth?"  PAUUUUUUUUUUUUUSE   " Um, a million dollars."

5 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Bell has no run over 17 yards! I don't give a RATS AZZ how bad the Oline is, GREAT BACKS with burst break 1 eventually when handed the ball as often as Bell has so far. Powell was busting it up inside for at least 3 yards so we had 2nd & 7 at least! Bells style also creates time for more holding penalties, as he surveys for an opening the line has to hold blocks too long & that leads to grabbing as defenders slide down the line mirroring him. 

Personally, I completely agree with Adam Gase on this, his style is a bad fit for the Jets. You don't see any of this hesitation BS watching Ingram run, Chubb, guys are too f*cking fast on defense to be sliding side to side, unless your playing behind a terrific (athletic) Oline. a Mawae type center, and Guards & Tackles that can move. 

So bash Gase all you want, I don't want the Jets to adapt their entire offense with a 22 year old QB to a RB that MIGHT be here 2 years, that's asinine! 

Weird how the Steelers didnt deal with all these issues that Bell creates with his running style.

I mean, gtfo out of here with this nonsense.  Absolutely ridiculous take. 

Powell is having the worst year of his career, same with Montgomery, oh and everyone on the offense except Sam.  But lets talk about how it's all Bell's fault the offense suck.

DId you actually read this post and think there was any logic in here? 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

Great point, Bell hasnt made anyone around him better, but it only adds to the perplexity of this situation. So by all accounts second year Sam Darnald is better at making the OLINE more productive than Leveon Bell? Doesn't really add up.

He has the 2nd most receptions on the team and 82% catch rate.  You dont think that's beneficial to Sam? 

wow

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, JiF said:

Gase is a egomaniac psychopathic a$$hole who likes to make and prove points rather than do what's best for his team.  It's a was a glaring issue in Miami as he ran all the talent out of town and it's obvious with how he handles any situation he doesnt like; so he went out of his way to alienate Bell and prove a moronic failed point by letting Powell show that nobody can run behind this OL.

An "offensive genius" cant work in 27 year old Le'Veon Bell's skill set but Todd Haley made him the most dynamic playmaker in the NFL.  It's not a good look for Gase just like the Tannehill situation.

Agreed,  he did the same thing with Jay Ajayi and Jarvis Landry, if he doesn't like/want you he makes the team suffer for it.

42 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

Something is so not right with Gase/Bell/and the Jets. As the season is playing out it is becoming more clear that they are not on the same page. From Bell going from top offensive threat in the NFL to lack of carries and involvement in the offense, to the obnoxious amount of carries the RBs got on Sunday without Bell,  to the flu that was serious enough for the Jets to make Bell inactive but not serious enough that he would be able to go bowling. Something is not right here. Is Gase the bad guy for not playing him enough throughout the season? Is Bell the bad guy behind the scenes and the bowling incident and lack of awareness of being scene in public is the start of exposing why Gase seems to not like him?

How do you think this plays out? 

Actually my take and what I have heard said is Gase likes to use the pass to open up the run and when you have a QB as we have growing into that role you trust the QB to perform the drives much of it with passing. We did the same thing with Pennington where the running game was just being used to keep the defenses honest. That just couldn't last long term for us since A. Chad got seriously injured too much, and B. Chad didn't have enough arm strength the way QBs like Sammy do.

5 minutes ago, JiF said:

I feel like people who say Bell looks slow, has never seen Bell play.  He's not a burner, never has been.  That's not his thing. He's a patient runner with incredible vision and the ability to make the 1st guy miss and possibly a better WR.

If Bell is traded to a team that can run block, he'll be right back at the top of the league.  I guarantee it. 

Agree 100!  He is still making the first guy miss, problem is that there are 2 more waiting for him after that. Running behind this line seems almost like rugby to me so yeah, powell could do that. You have a dynamic playmaker in the backfield and you run him between the tackles of an oline that cant block.  IDK if opposing defenses are crowding the edges to force our runs inside where it turns into a scrum that we lose every time or if our HC is just stubborn...  I have to agree that if we move bell, he will have a heck of a year next year. I am hopeful that we improve the oline in the offseason and we unleash the power of bell next year.

• Upvote 1