Exit Interview: New York Jets (The Ringer)

JetsLife

Those are some scary stats for Gase's offense.

I once believed in the refrain that Gase was hamstrung by a 3rd-string QB in Falk. Well, IINM he was the one who wanted Falk. Whereas a team like Pittsburgh is currently a playoff team, behind back-up, 3rd string and 4th string QBs all season.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2019/12/10/21004162/new-york-jets-exit-interview-adam-gase-sam-darnold

• Upvote 2

Exit Interview: New York Jets

The first year of the Adam Gase experiment was a disaster, but Sam Darnold flashed the potential that made the Jets draft him no. 3 in 2018

By Danny Heifetz  Dec 10, 2019, 5:50am EST

nfl_exit_survey_jets_getty_ringer.0.jpgGetty Images/Ringer illustration

It’s getting later in the season, and for many NFL teams, the playoffs are in sight. But some squads are already looking to next year. As each club is eliminated from the postseason, The Ringer will examine what went right, what went wrong, and where the franchise could go from here. Up next is the New York Jets, who beat the Miami Dolphins, but were eliminated by the Pittsburgh Steelers and Tennessee Titans winning on Sunday.

What Went Right

Sam Darnold’s spleen didn’t rupture. The 22-year-old missed four of the first six weeks of the season due to fears about the health of his internal organs—normal sport!—after he contracted mononucleosis, and then returned midseason and at times played like a franchise quarterback. Darnold looked great in wins against Oakland and Washington, and most importantly to Jets fans, he led his team to a win against Daniel Jones and the Giants in Week 10. He has plenty of room for improvement (like most 22-year-olds who get mono), but he still has the potential that convinced the Jets to take him with the no. 3 pick in 2018. Free-agent receiver Jamison Crowder emerged as the team’s best receiving option and leads the squad in targets, receptions, and is second in yards. Tight end Ryan Griffin, originally considered a stopgap until Chris Herndon returned from suspension, instead leads the team with five touchdowns and was one of the Jets’ better recent red zone options. The team signed Griffin to a three-year extension worth up to almost $11 million last month. Safety Jamal Adams set a career high with 6.5 sacks in four games. Despite how it may look, New York does have some talent despite their 5-8 record.

What Went Wrong

Most of Adam Gase’s decisions in his first year as head coach.

Gase’s specialty is offense, but the Jets offense has been one of the worst in football by almost any metric.

Jets Yards per Drive Stats.        NFL rank

Plays per drive 32
Yards per drive 32
Points per drive 32
Touchdowns per drive 30
Field goals per drive 30
Punts per drive 31
Three-and-outs per drive 30
Time of possession per drive 31
Drive success rate 31
Avg. line of scrimmage 31
Average lead 27
Stats from Football Outsiders 

The Jets fired head coach Todd Bowles, a former defensive coordinator, and hired Gase, a former offensive coordinator, to expedite Darnold’s development and improve the offense. The result has been a disaster that casts Gase’s qualifications into doubt. Since Gase left his job as quarterbacks coach for the Broncos, where Peyton Manning was heavily involved in crafting the offensive game plans, Gase has not led a team ranked in the top 20 in yards or the top half of the league in points. Worse, quarterback Ryan Tannehill is having a breakout season in Tennessee after being freed from Gase’s offense. (When Sam Darnold said he was seeing ghosts, perhaps he meant Adam Gase’s coaching résumé.) The Jets won’t fire Gase after this season according to team CEO Christopher Johnson, but most teams retain coaches to create stability. Stability doesn’t seem like one of Gase’s strong suits.

The new front office is not off to a good start, either. New general manager Joe Douglas infuriated Jamal Adams by telling the safety he wouldn’t be moved and then having trade discussions, according to Adams.

wXhbDzTN_bigger.jpg

Any reports of me asking to be traded from the New York Jets are completely false.

At the end of the week last week, I sat down with the GM and Coach Gase and told them I want to be here in New York. I was told yesterday by my agent that the GM then went behind my back and shopped me around to teams, even after I asked him to keep me here! Crazy business.

A GM’s job involves having trade discussions, but telling the team’s best and perhaps most respected player one thing and then doing the other is the quickest way to lose support from players. (When the team’s best nonquarterback player seems expendable, so does everyone else.) Douglas has also engaged in strange, petty feuds. When guard Kelechi Osemele’s shoulder injury stopped responding to pain injections, Osmele wanted surgery rather than resorting to Vicodin. The team disputed his injury and said it was preexisting. Osemele filed a grievance through the NFLPA and eventually had surgery in late October. The Jets cut him one day later. When the GM and coach are off to such a tough start, it’s hard to have faith in the rest of their moves.

Free Agency

No team has done worse in free agency in the past two offseasons than the Jets. In 2018, GM Mike Maccagnan signed cornerback Trumaine Johnson to a deal with $45 million guaranteed over the first three years. In the first two seasons of that deal, Johnson has been perhaps the most disappointing defensive back in the sport. In 2019, Maccagnan upped the ante when the Jets shelled out more than $120 million in guaranteed money in free agency, the most in NFL history. Two months later the Jets fired Maccagnan, casting the competence of ownership into serious doubt.

The team eventually hired Douglas to run the shop, and Maccagnan’s splashy offseason signings have had little impact this year. Running back Le’Veon Bell looked back to his normal self with the ball in his hands, but predictably was far less productive in one of the league’s worst offenses with a second-year quarterback and bad offensive line. Linebacker C.J. Mosley signed a deal with $51 million guaranteed but hurt his groin in Week 1, returned and aggravated the injury in Week 7, and was placed on injured reserve last week. He’s expected to return from surgery in April. The Jets still have nearly $70 million of cap space this offseason according to Spotrac, but they’d be wise not to try to make a splash for the third year in a row. Outside of tackle Kelvin Beachum and receiver Robby Anderson, not many of their impending free agents are crucial to retain.

The Draft

The Jets were also one of the worst drafting teams in the league under Maccagnan. New York has whiffed on the second- and third-round picks that most successful teams rely on to build Super Bowl foundations. Its first-round picks this decade have been almost exclusively focused on defense. Beginning with the 2009 draft, the Jets have used 10 first-round picks on defense and just two first-round picks on offense (Mark Sanchez and Sam Darnold). The lack of weapons around Darnold shows. No fans would be upset if the Jets drafted Ohio State’s Chase Young, the consensus best defender in the draft, but if Young is gone, the Jets could benefit from taking an offensive player.

Alabama receiver Jerry Jeudy would be New York’s most talented receiver since either Brandon Marshall or Keyshawn Johnson and would be Darnold’s best receiver since he played with JuJu Smith-Schuster at USC. The Jets could also desperately use depth at tackle, and Georgia’s Andrew Thomas or Iowa’s Tristan Wirfs both fit the bill. With their roster so thin, however, the Jets would be wise to trade down with a team looking to draft a quarterback and collect as many assets as possible to recoup the three second-rounders they gave up to trade up three spots for the pick that became Darnold. In the past five years, the Jets have drafted just one player in the second round who has started more than five NFL games. Drafting a starter at any position after the first round would be an improvement for this team.

12 minutes ago, JetsLife said:

I once believed in the refrain that Gase was hamstrung by a 3rd-string QB in Falk. Well, IINM he was the one who wanted Falk. Whereas a team like Pittsburgh is currently a playoff team, behind back-up, 3rd string and 4th string QBs all season.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2019/12/10/21004162/new-york-jets-exit-interview-adam-gase-sam-darnold

Those stats do include the games played with Luke Falk. I’d be curious to see the stats when Sam is the QB. 

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

The new front office is not off to a good start, either. New general manager Joe Douglas infuriated Jamal Adams by telling the safety he wouldn’t be moved and then having trade discussions, according to Adams.

Wow this is good journalism, really getting to the bottom of the story by, I guess, doing a twitter search and taking it all at face value where oh where is that link to sign up for the ringer

My favorite thing about this article is how the guy says ThE oFfEnSe iS bAd LoL GaSe and then in the next breath talks about how Jamison Crowder and Ryan Griffin are the two best players on offense and how bad Mike Maccagnan was at acquiring talent for five offseasons. Very astute analysis by this bloke. 

I'm curious if the Jets hired McCarthy or Rhule, or whoever else. And they were 5-8, which they would be, because the roster blows, would they be getting killed every day also? 

I wonder how many "we should have hired Gase instead of mccarthy because he worked great with Manning, and McCarthy is a born loser who only won 1 super bowl with Aaron Rodgers" threads there would be right now

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Prestige Worldwide said:

I'm curious if the Jets hired McCarthy or Rhule, or whoever else. And they were 5-8, which they would be, because the roster blows, would they be getting killed every day also? 

I wonder how many "we should have hired Gase instead of mccarthy because he worked great with Manning, and McCarthy is a born loser who only won 1 super bowl with Aaron Rodgers" threads there would be right now

I can't remember anyone lobbying for Gase to be the guy. There were the Monken supporters and even Caldwell had some support, but Gase? None that I can recall. I don't think anyone would be talking about regretting not hiring this guy. If it was McCarthy and we were 5-8 there might have been the Rhule chorus or vice versa, but Gase would have drifted off into the woods to smoke venison with Gates never to be heard from again. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

I can't remember anyone lobbying for Gase to be the guy. There were the Monken supporters and even Caldwell had some support, but Gase? None that I can recall. I don't think anyone would be talking about regretting not hiring this guy. If it was McCarthy and we were 5-8 there might have been the Rhule chorus or vice versa, but Gase would have drifted off into the woods to smoke venison with Gates never to be heard from again. 

You're probably right,  but that wasn't the point.  I'm just saying no matter who the coach was, the threads and articles would be the same, just insert the coaches name. 

And I'm sure there were a few gase guys out there.

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Prestige Worldwide said:

There is no analysis of this season because of illness and injury. All these bloggers with their fancy metrics based on bad data. 

And every time another data tainted article makes it to Twitter, some genius poster on this site just has to put it up as if he’s found the Dead Sea Scrolls.

SAR I

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2
  • Haha 3

25 minutes ago, SAR I said:

There is no analysis of this season because of illness and injury. All these bloggers with their fancy metrics based on bad data. 

And every time another data tainted article makes it to Twitter, some genius poster on this site just has to put it up as if he’s found the Dead Sea Scrolls.

SAR I

Thank you Mr Johnson.

• Upvote 3

Offensive line, anyone? Can't block for the backs, can't keep the QB clean. And that's on Maccagnan. Not in love with  what Gase has done, but fair is fair. NO OL means crappy offense. 

At a loss; so Douglas should not take calls even if another franchise wants to overpay  in a trade ridiculously for any given player because....? Jerry Jones has the habit of making stupid trades; why would you not listen, because...feelings? 

You're probably right,  but that wasn't the point.  I'm just saying no matter who the coach was, the threads and articles would be the same, just insert the coaches name. 
And I'm sure there were a few gase guys out there.

Yeah. That’s not a bad assessment actually. No doubt there would be issues with whoever we had In here from a fan perspective.
Sorta like what happens when we get a good player that actually wants to get paid. Always the boo birds contingent coming out to sing the songs of dissent.

Not that I haven’t been on that side of things of course, but you know what I mean. I don’t disagree with your overall point. Just that Gase was the least popular of all the candidates we were interviewing. And I’m sure there were some people who liked him as the choice. I just can’t remember any of them and they were few at best.

I’m rooting for the guy of course, but I’m
Struggling to see his positives as a HC.
If he’s gonna get next season I just hope JD builds the exact type of team he likes to coach so he can be given every chance to succeed. And succeed WITH Sam Darnold.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

8 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

To be fair, you always want to beat the Giants. 

But yea. 

Agreed, but the Giants would probably be the 7th game I'd want the Jets to win if I had to list them, behind both games vs. NE, Buffalo and Miami.  Heck, I might even prefer to beat Cleveland rather than the Giants.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

Jets Yards per Drive Stats.        NFL rank

Plays per drive 32
Yards per drive 32
Points per drive 32
Touchdowns per drive 30
Field goals per drive 30
Punts per drive 31
Three-and-outs per drive 30
Time of possession per drive 31
Drive success rate 31
Avg. line of scrimmage 31
Average lead 27

Offense has been less than average for a while, not just this year.

11 hours ago, Warfish said:

vs. 

Just got fired from our division rival, never won any Super Bowls, blown out in only playoff game, 28-33 lifetime record, 21, 24, 25, 31 & 31 ranked Offenses.

Hmmmm....:-k

Don Shula never won a Super Bowl with Dan Marino, let alone "only one", so clearly he sucked too.  

30 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

IT"S NOT GASE"S FAULT THAT TANNEHILL AND SAM ARE ALWAYS HURT OR KISSING GIRLS! GASE"S ENTIRE CAREER IS ALL MACC"S FAULT!

You're right.

Those 21, 24, 25, 31 & 31 offensive ranking, all due to durn ol' bad luck.  Shucks!

Gase is just unlucky.  As @SAR I says, blame God.

So knowing that, should we REALLY hold on to a Coach that EVEN GOD HAS DECIDED TO SCREW OVER WITH BAD LUCK!???????

If even God hates Gase....why should we like him? :-k

People used to be smart enough to walk the other way when the Almighty started smiting people.....  

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, JetsLife said:

Like Gase was hamstrung by Tannehill in Miami ???  It was the other way around.  

Although it is obvious how bad of a match Gase is for the Jets HC job, the Johnson's wont pull the pug until he proves it in the win/loss column this season and next season...

16 hours ago, JetsLife said:

I get the Falk thing, but the Steelers have only started 3 QBs.  Who is the 4th string? 

16 hours ago, kdels62 said:

Those stats do include the games played with Luke Falk. I’d be curious to see the stats when Sam is the QB. 

I didn't figure the advanced numbers, but I think they are around 20 ppg discounting those 3 games.  I'm not sure if I figured that before or after the Dolphin game, but those 22 points aren't going to skew the number much.  I think it around 22nd in the league.  Just behind Kingsbury and the Cardinals. 

5 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I get the Falk thing, but the Steelers have only started 3 QBs.  Who is the 4th string? 

I didn't figure the advanced numbers, but I think they are around 20 ppg discounting those 3 games.  I'm not sure if I figured that before or after the Dolphin game, but those 22 points aren't going to skew the number much.  I think it around 22nd in the league.  Just behind Kingsbury and the Cardinals. 

22nd isn't great but it's not dead last. That's an optic that matters. 

As for the Steelers thing, there are teams that run well with back ups and ones that don't. Losing Garrappolo sunk the 49ers last year and losing Stafford sunk the Lions this year, last year Rodgers's injury ruined the Packers and Alex Smith's injury ruined the Skins. Teams are built differently doesn't mean they're always ineffective. 

17 hours ago, JetsLife said:

How is Pitt's O-line? Gase wanted the line fortified instead of Bell and in hindsight we know he was right, and I like Bell a lot.