JetsLife

Exit Interview: New York Jets (The Ringer)

17 hours ago, Prestige Worldwide said:

I'm curious if the Jets hired McCarthy or Rhule, or whoever else. And they were 5-8, which they would be, because the roster blows, would they be getting killed every day also? 

gangs of new york knife GIF by MIRAMAX

Yup, and if you take away the Sam mono the Jets might be in the playoff race. This off season will be very telling with regard to whether the coaches and gm have a clue. If they build up the oline as well as some quality depth in general they could easily be a playoff team next year. Sam has been brilliant at times and is coach-able. When Sam has struggled you've often seen worse than usual line play. Gase will be on the hot seat, in the eyes of those who matter, next year if they aren't strong out of the gate.

5 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Fair point, and right now Sam Darnold is 5-5 as a starter this year.... 0-3 without him.

All true, but what’s forgotten here is when Sam sat out those 3 games, before the season very few of us thought we’d have won any of them anyway. In fact, some wanted Sam to sit out another week or two for the same reason.

I’d say 5-8 is where we’d be regardless of the mono.

4 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

All true, but what’s forgotten here is when Sam sat out those 3 games, before the season very few of us thought we’d have won any of them anyway. In fact, some wanted Sam to sit out another week or two for the same reason.

I’d say 5-8 is where we’d be regardless of the mono.

Of course we'll never know.  If we beat Dallas with Sam I think we could have beaten the under-achieving Browns with Sam in Week 2.  I could also argue that without Mono that Week 1 loss by a single point perhaps is a W.  We'll never know any of this but all the debates and arguments on the Board seem to have caveats anyway....and they go both ways.  Sam "with better starters" would be great....Sam "if not playing lesser opponents" would be looking worse....Sam "without Mono" wins in Week 1....etc.  We'll just never know the answers.

• Upvote 1