The injuries are getting ridiculous!

Jetster

5 minutes ago, JTJet said:

Any unbiased logical person would have assumed Osemele and Kalil would have been adequate, Trumaine wouldnt be nearly as bad as he was, Enunwa would provide at minimum 75% his level of previous play, Moseley and Williamson would play the entire year, Herndon would come back from suspension and play at least OK, and Darnold wouldnt have Mono. 

Nobody, neither you, nor I, nor the coaching staff could have foreseen any of these events unfolding the way they did AND at virtually the same time.

I'm not a Gase apologist by any means, but I am fair and understand how to read between lines and see the picture for what it is. 

No team would have overcame this series of events at these positions. None.

We literally foresaw them all this offseason.  I don't think one person beyond Mike Maccagnan thought that Harrison was okay at C.  Nobody was calling for Kalil because he was retired until August.  Did anyone expect him to be a stud or last the season?  The only hope was that he was mildly better than Harrison.

@Raideraholic probably has 50 plus posts stating that Osemele was a bad fit and probably over the hill. 

75% of Enunwa's previous play?  That seems fair.  In 5 previous seasons he averaged 8 games, 6 starts, 23 catches, and 324 yards.  At 75%, how much are we really missing those 4 starts, with 17 catches for 243 yards?  

That Trumaine Johnson would suck wasn't really up for discussion.  Like Osemele, there was reason to hope, but it certainly wasn't probable.

Not only are there hundreds of posts foreseeing all of this, the fact that the GM got canned, made it pretty obvious that the staff hated the roster. It is obvious they foresaw this disaster.  They didn't fire Maccagnan for putting together a playoff roster, no matter what @SAR I would have you believe.

I actually am kind of a Gase apologist.  I didn't like the hire, but you can't dump him based on this season. The Falk games were close to impossible.  Nothing could be accomplished.  I did not like the way they were handled, but I understood.  I don't expect the team to be in the playoff hunt, but I don't see how losing guys that sucked makes a huge difference.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Jetster said:

And after writing about how bad the starters were & how the roster blows chunks you want to blame it on a coach that has a 5-4 record with his starting QB? Had 5 games in a row where the offense scored on their opening possession, something that probably has never happened in the last 20 years here. 

Instead of saying, "Gase doesn't adapt", how about we say, the defenses adapt to us because the roster is so bare, we can't maintain offensive success once teams start abusing our weaknesses because we have so many. 

Where did I do any of this? The guy took the job.  He'd better not whine. I don't like the roster, but it hasn't exactly been well handled either.  See my last post for my feelings about Gase, but I'm not hammering the guy, even if I am not particularly impressed.  That 5-4 record with his starting QB sounds startlingly similar to Rex going 8-8 in 2013.  

19 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

We literally foresaw them all this offseason.  I don't think one person beyond Mike Maccagnan thought that Harrison was okay at C.  Nobody was calling for Kalil because he was retired until August.  Did anyone expect him to be a stud or last the season?  The only hope was that he was mildly better than Harrison.

@Raideraholic probably has 50 plus posts stating that Osemele was a bad fit and probably over the hill. 

75% of Enunwa's previous play?  That seems fair.  In 5 previous seasons he averaged 8 games, 6 starts, 23 catches, and 324 yards.  At 75%, how much are we really missing those 4 starts, with 17 catches for 243 yards?  

That Trumaine Johnson would suck wasn't really up for discussion.  Like Osemele, there was reason to hope, but it certainly wasn't probable.

Not only are there hundreds of posts foreseeing all of this, the fact that the GM got canned, made it pretty obvious that the staff hated the roster. It is obvious they foresaw this disaster.  They didn't fire Maccagnan for putting together a playoff roster, no matter what @SAR I would have you believe.

I actually am kind of a Gase apologist.  I didn't like the hire, but you can't dump him based on this season. The Falk games were close to impossible.  Nothing could be accomplished.  I did not like the way they were handled, but I understood.  I don't expect the team to be in the playoff hunt, but I don't see how losing guys that sucked makes a huge difference.

I get that we understood these players were not all world Pro Bowlers, we can all agree on that. They weren't a great lineup to begin with. 

With that being said, at the start of the season, if not due to injury and based off their bodies of work, it would have been absolutely reasonable to see the following: 

Williamson play better than Cashman

Mosley play better than Burgess

Johnson play better than Austin

Winters play better than Compton

Kalil play better than Harrison

Herndon play better than Griffen

Enunwa play better than Thomas (debatable). 

So it stands to reason, if these players did actually play, and play to the potential people thought, we would have a winning record. 

14 minutes ago, JTJet said:

I get that we understood these players were not all world Pro Bowlers, we can all agree on that. They weren't a great lineup to begin with. 

With that being said, at the start of the season, if not due to injury and based off their bodies of work, it would have been absolutely reasonable to see the following: 

Williamson play better than Cashman

Mosley play better than Burgess

Johnson play better than Austin

Herndon play better than Griffen

Enunwa play better than Thomas (debatable). 

So it stands to reason, if these players did actually play, and play to the potential people thought, we would have a winning record. 

I was rolling right along with you until that last paragraph.  I sharply diverge from your path right at your "stands to reason." 

3 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I was rolling right along with you until that last paragraph.  I sharply diverge from your path right at your "stands to reason." 

Fair enough, let me rephrase. 

It stands to reason our team would have undoubtedly been better than what it currently is. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, JTJet said:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/injured-reserve/

1-Miami

2-NYJ

3-Washington 

Directly shows that injuries are part of teams failures and it's not all on healthy players and coaches. Best teams have least injured, worst teams have the most. 

Ours is by FAR the worst cap wise due to how many of ours are actual starters. Hate to go there, but this is why we have a losing record. Not Gase, not ownership, not Darnold, not Bell, we just got beat the F up this year. 

Strange that this list only shows Mosley getting paid $235K cash this year and having a cap hit of just $3MM, when their own player page for him shows the reality of $19MM in cash and a $13MM hit this year. 

In either case, though, it doesn't paint the accurate picture of how much it affected the team. To take a quick look at it, you'd think he just missed 4 games because he was only placed on IR after 13 weeks into the season. In reality we all know he's fully missed an additional 10 games (11 weeks);  plus the semantics in that this list is by "weeks" not "games" if the player's bye was after his IR designation, even though the team doesn't practice during the bye any more than they play during it. 

Similar with Siemian. No he's not anyone's idea of a savior QB, but we don't care if he missed 10+ games this year; it's that we specifically needed him for 3 games with Darnold out and instead we got him for a small part of 1 game. 

Then is the rest of it which - like with most of Mosley's season - those games that starters have missed even without an IR designation. 

Brutal. 

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, JTJet said:

Good lord. It is absolutely apparent that Darnold got mono from your girlfriend, wife, or daughter. 

You seriously going to take this angle? 

the only ability that matters in the NFL is availability 

this is not a moral judgment Darnold can be the biggest player in player'sville

it becomes a problem when it affects the entire team 

5 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Strange that this list only shows Mosley getting paid $235K cash this year and having a cap hit of just $3MM, when their own player page for him shows the reality of $19MM in cash and a $13MM hit this year. 

In either case, though, it doesn't paint the accurate picture of how much it affected the team. To take a quick look at it, you'd think he just missed 4 games because he was only placed on IR after 13 weeks into the season. In reality we all know he's fully missed an additional 10 games (11 weeks);  plus the semantics in that this list is by "weeks" not "games" if the player's bye was after his IR designation, even though the team doesn't practice during the bye any more than they play during it. 

Similar with Siemian. No he's not anyone's idea of a savior QB, but we don't care if he missed 10+ games this year; it's that we specifically needed him for 3 games with Darnold out and instead we got him for a small part of 1 game. 

Then is the rest of it which - like with most of Mosley's season - those games that starters have missed even without an IR designation. 

Brutal. 

For the life of me I still cannot understand how Garrett made it to the end of that game after the hits he put on Siemian. 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, JTJet said:

these were not reasonable expectations 

Kalil was 36 years old lured out of retirement for a bad neck 

Winters has played hurt for 4 years straight 

Osemele's labrum was torn when he arrived 

we can assign blame to Mac/Douglas/Gase or the boogyman but these are not sound NFL assumptions 

• Sympathy 1

Just now, bitonti said:

the only ability that matters in the NFL is availability 

this is not a moral judgment Darnold can be the biggest player in player'sville

it becomes a problem when it affects the entire team 

Yeah but it's one thing to judge a player if he got a DUI, beat his wife, or any number of reasons to miss games. 

It's another thing entirely to judge a player for getting Mono of all things. He didnt actively choose to get it. 

We wouldnt judge the player if he got food poisoning from something he ate, this isnt any different. 

• Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

these were not reasonable expectations 

Kalil was 36 years old lured out of retirement for a bad neck 

Winters has played hurt for 4 years straight 

Osemele's labrum was torn when he arrived 

we can assign blame to Mac/Douglas/Gase or the boogyman but these are not sound NFL assumptions 

It was absolutely reasonable at the time.

Virtually the entire football world thought the Kalil move was great and he was a few year removed Pro Bowler, regardless of injury. On any normal day he should have been better than Harrison even if he was 50% the player he used to be. But apparently we got 5%, same goes with Osemele. 

And for anyone to say they expected Compton to outperform Winters is ludicrous. Winters may not be good but he had way more starting experience than Compton. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

Jeez that was 2011?  Seems like yesterday.

So here we are 8 years later and Baltimore’s Defense is STILL just as deadly.

I wish the NY Jet clown “organization” was just 5% of what Baltimore’s is....the differences will be on display tonight.  Probably look like the 2 teams (actually 1, the Jets aren’t really a team, led by Gase and his Pillsbury dough boy flunky) are playing a different sport.

That is who they have always been. From the time to Ray Lewis put on a jersey to today that team has always fielded a nasty, physical, punishing defense. That is why those games with Steelers were always great. Two bullies in a street fight. The only time the Jets were like that was when Rex was here.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, bitonti said:

I said Compton should push Winters back in May 

Congratulations.

Just because you personally thought so doesnt mean it wasnt common sense to think Winters should have been better. Good on you for trusting a gut feeling back then, but based off of paper and body of work, you should have been wrong.

9 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

Im actually quite concerned, not because of the potential blowout, but the fact that the Ravens are arguably the most aggressive defense and are #1 in the league in blitzing.

I'm concerned for Darnold tonight.

screens and play action to bell as well as hitting the hot crossing routes.. maybe berrios redeems himself or crowder or vyncint smith.  and griffin can have a big role too.