Gase yelling at Darnold on last play

RonaldJet

On 12/13/2019 at 12:39 AM, 14 in Green said:

How dare Gase try to coach up Darnold.

Anybody who’s ever played a sport has been yelled at by a coach. Sometimes you yelled back.

Its tough love by the coach, and the player getting hot about it isn’t a bad thing. Anybody old enough to remember Parcells go at it with his QBs, especially Simms, would laugh at this being a thing.

Coaching him up by saying “you know what to do” no doubt 

• Haha 1

On 12/13/2019 at 5:03 PM, Sperm Edwards said:

I don't know. I've not been one to dump on his every mistake, but it doesn't mean nothing any more than every game means nothing once we're eliminated. It still means nothing even if we won, from that point of view.

It means something because he's supposed to be advancing and improving at a certain pace, and Gase's reaction suggests he really screwed up. Gase is a ****ing tool, but I'm quite sure he could see the pressure on that play as well as any casual fan, so that was not likely the reason he was so animated. More likely reason is Darnold was expected to do something he didn't - possibly if not likely before the snap - and not merely that he was supposed to make an improbable (and ultimately irrelevant) play when they were down by 21 very late. 

“Every week he gets better and better. There is going to be a point where he’s going to be a really good player.”

Interesting quote from Gase here. Ownership seems to be firmly in Darnold's corner. Will be interesting to see if Gase tries to push for the team to bring in another guy this offseason as a real backup, potential relief guy.

On 12/12/2019 at 11:34 PM, RonaldJet said:

Wonder what that was all about? The beat writers following this team are terrible so we won’t know likely. 

Did Darnold check out of a run to that stupid rollout?

Watch Sam do a Kristaps Porzinigis to get away from the jets after next year because Gase is driving him crazy

5 hours ago, Matt39 said:

“Every week he gets better and better. There is going to be a point where he’s going to be a really good player.”

Interesting quote from Gase here. Ownership seems to be firmly in Darnold's corner. Will be interesting to see if Gase tries to push for the team to bring in another guy this offseason as a real backup, potential relief guy.

I thought he was sincere when he said that. He really does believe in Sam. Just seems oblivious to the extent to which he isn't helping...

8 minutes ago, ryu79 said:

I thought he was sincere when he said that. He really does believe in Sam. Just seems oblivious to the extent to which he isn't helping...

I'm sure he was being sincere. Just not sure if Gase and Darnold are on the same clock. Pressure is on Gase more than it is Darnold...I think with Gase he dgaf and will try and make changes until he's told he cant to save himself.

7 hours ago, Matt39 said:

I don’t think they’ll draft a QB highly. Not yet, anyway, unless Darnold gets badly hurt in what’s left of the season. But I could see a QB as early as round 4, or even more likely, a better backup than they went with this year. That should be a plan even if they do believe in him just because players get injured. 

We’ll see soon enough. I tend to think they won’t touch a QB in days 1 or 2 yet b/c the perception is still that Darnold is a talented young QB and if he flops it’ll be a reflection upon Gase more than Darnold. 

But yeah the above quote is saying he’s not a good player and it’s more a PC way of saying it’ll happen someday but who knows when that’ll be. That’s how I read it anyway, unless this is another one of his alleged motivational ideas. Seems stupid if it is. 

• Upvote 1