Farve/Darnold Comparison

kevinc855

Jets’ Sam Darnold may actually be 2nd coming of Brett Favre | 5 takeaways, observations from lopsided loss to Ravens

BALTIMORE – Well, that was (mostly) predictable.

As expected, the Jets were smacked around by the Ravens, 42-21, on Thursday night at M&T Bank Stadium. But the surprising part is that head coach Adam Gase’s team was actually more competitive than the scoreboard really showed.

Still, the Jets (5-9) are now 0-4 against teams that currently have winning records. They have two more chances (against the Steelers and Bills) to finally notch a win against a legitimately good opponent.

Strangely enough, Thursday night’s loss actually provided some hope that this team may actually be capable of pulling that off. For now, though, here are five takeaways from the Jets’ ninth loss of the season:

1. Sam Darnold keeps looking more like Brett Favre

No, Darnold doesn’t have Favre’s epic arm strength (though he does have a strong arm). No, they don’t really play the same style. But they keep seeming more and more similar in this sense: Darnold, like Favre, will make a series of eye-popping, gutsy throws that thread the needle and whistle past defenders’ ears. He’ll do a whole bunch of stuff that makes it clear he’s special. But he’s also prone to some bizarre brain farts and over-aggression that cost him. 

That boom-or-bust style was on display Thursday night. Darnold excelled at fitting balls into tight windows; the touchdown throw to Jamison Crowder in the second quarter was the perfect example. There was barely a glimmer of daylight and only his man could have caught that. It was an unquestionably elite throw.

But then there was Darnold’s pick right before the half, which made no logical sense. He was seemingly throwing to no one and picked the worst possible time – trailing 21-7, but with points well within reach – to throw an interception near the goal line.

With each passing week, it feels like this is the kind of quarterback Darnold is, when he’s at his best: Really good, but with a tendency to produce some head-scratching moments

2 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

Anyone who follows this forum knows I been making this point for weeks now it’s seems to be getting more traction in the media and on here as Sam continues to make amazing throws followed by head scratching ints. That said Brett Favre went to the pro bowl 11 times, the playoffs 12 times, threw over 500 tds, won a super bowl and went to the hall of fame. So if you are telling me we drafted the next Brett Favre personally I’m not to upset. Sam is a gunslinger, get used to it. Some ints are Gona happen that make you want to scream. Once you solidify this o line tho the good will far outshine the bad. Lamar jackson is what is hot now. The way he runs and take hits I could see a very Michael Vick ending but we will see. Josh Rosen was a complete bust and mayfield is not living up to expectations. The other 18 qb playing decent right now is Allen but time will tell. Sam is a good qb and a good one for the long run. 

Only one problem ...We didn't draft the next Brett Favre and Darnold shouldn't remind anyone of Brett Farve

Okay 2 problems

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, nico002 said:

Only throwing one int under these circumstances is a miracle 

Darnoltology , 2x in a week his play has been referred to as a "miracle"

Fwiw. I thought he played well last night, better than I expected given the disparate talent. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

1. Sam Darnold keeps looking more like Brett Favre

No, Darnold doesn’t have Favre’s epic arm strength

And, scene.

Brett Favre without "epic arm strength" fizzles out of the league.  That "epic arm strength" covered up a ton of bad.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 2
  • WTF? 1

24 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Darnolds pick and a few misses seem to be lack of communication as he is playing with 3rd stringers.  he in my mind is the least of our problems. We have waited a lifetime for a QB and now that he is here, he is playing with the practice squad. 

We literally have NO TALENT on offense. 8 years of MAc and Idzik have ripped this team to shreds. 

Allow me to add that Gase's offense reminds me a lot of Joe Walton's offense. with a mix of over conservative predictability and route trees that take geniuses with mental telepathy to execute.  Rather than simplifying an offense to cater to practice squad caliber receivers, he is still running a scheme that requires the receiver to adjust their route based on their read of the coverage - if Sam does not see the coverage the same way as the receiver you get the apparent brain fart resulting in an incompletion or a pick.   As Ken O'Brien used to say "we were out of sync". 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

2 touchdowns and one pick, as a video that was posted yesterday mentioned, would be 32 TDs and 16 picks - the best season of any Jet ever. A pass interference call was missed on Robby last night. That should have been 1st down on the 1 and who knows what happens as the D picked it up. The game realistically ended with that no call.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

Anyone who follows this forum knows I been making this point for weeks now it’s seems to be getting more traction in the media and on here as Sam continues to make amazing throws followed by head scratching ints. That said Brett Favre went to the pro bowl 11 times, the playoffs 12 times, threw over 500 tds, won a super bowl and went to the hall of fame. So if you are telling me we drafted the next Brett Favre personally I’m not to upset. Sam is a gunslinger, get used to it. Some ints are Gona happen that make you want to scream. Once you solidify this o line tho the good will far outshine the bad. Lamar jackson is what is hot now. The way he runs and take hits I could see a very Michael Vick ending but we will see. Josh Rosen was a complete bust and mayfield is not living up to expectations. The other 18 qb playing decent right now is Allen but time will tell. Sam is a good qb and a good one for the long run. 

I also called Sam a poor man's Favre.  I like Sam, but I don't know if he is dynamic in the way Favre was to dig out of the holes that a bad interception can put you in.  Not to worry, though.  I *THINK* as Sam progresses, he will make fewer of those head-scratching interceptions.   All in all, he is a good QB and by all accounts in the media, a good teammate that the other players like.  

Darnold plays pretty well in a lopsided crushing defeat.

The next day, JN anoints him the next coming of HOF'er Brett Favre and declared henceforth that INT's can't be used to judge Darnold because "gunslinger".

:-k

Oh JN......=D>

I'm glad Darnold played pretty well last night.  I think I'll hold back pronouncing his "floor" being the wide distribution of "special" "miracles" and "elite" HOF status till we see just a little more.  Like some wins.  And some average NFL production over a full year.  And a few less INT's.  

Still, a small positive last night in a sea of national TV humiliation.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Greensleeves said:

2 touchdowns and one pick, as a video that was posted yesterday mentioned, would be 32 TDs and 16 picks - the best season of any Jet ever. A pass interference call was missed on Robby last night. That should have been 1st down on the 1 and who knows what happens as the D picked it up. The game realistically ended with that no call.

If Darnolds last 6 games were a sample size of a full HEALTHY season getting comfortable in his new offense, these would be his numbers. 

334-553  4225YDS  60.9 CMP%  30TDs  8 INTs 

6 RUSH TD  98.3 PASSER RT

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, dbatesman said:

Who exactly is telling you this

Apparently, Matt Stypulkoski

46 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Darnolds pick and a few misses seem to be lack of communication as he is playing with 3rd stringers.  he in my mind is the least of our problems. We have waited a lifetime for a QB and now that he is here, he is playing with the practice squad. 

We literally have NO TALENT on offense. 8 years of MAc and Idzik have ripped this team to shreds. 

Idzik took over in 2013.  It is at most 7 years of Mac and Idzik.  6 1/2 really.  If I don't feel good about the 2021 roster it is a very bad sign.  If I feel bad about them and I am not proven obviously wrong, they've got to go. 

11 minutes ago, Greensleeves said:

That is a nice season, but 29/7 > 32/16.   O'Brien, O'Donnell, Pennington and Fitzpatrick  all had better seasons by that criteria.  Some more than once.  sh*t, Uncle Josh was 2 to 1 in 2017.

35 minutes ago, deucebag said:

Allow me to add that Gase's offense reminds me a lot of Joe Walton's offense. with a mix of over conservative predictability and route trees that take geniuses with mental telepathy to execute.  Rather than simplifying an offense to cater to practice squad caliber receivers, he is still running a scheme that requires the receiver to adjust their route based on their read of the coverage - if Sam does not see the coverage the same way as the receiver you get the apparent brain fart resulting in an incompletion or a pick.   As Ken O'Brien used to say "we were out of sync". 

Did you have to bring up Joe Walton????  I was having a nice morning. :)

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, JTJet said:

If Darnolds last 6 games were a sample size of a full HEALTHY season getting comfortable in his new offense, these would be his numbers. 

334-553  4225YDS  60.9 CMP%  30TDs  8 INTs 

6 RUSH TD  98.3 PASSER RT

But that's not his numbers.  Because he wasn't healthy.  And he didn't not play his bad games.  His actual numbers are borderline NFL bust at this point.  

Extrapolation of cherry picked "good games" only, almost all of which were against bad defenses and equally horrible losing teams, not representative of his actual quality of play, this year or last. 

These "well, if we take his one awesome game this year and project that over a full season equally, he has a 79% completion rate, 6,980 yards, 145 TD's and 0 INT's.....he's CLEARLY BRETT FAVRE" posts. 

When he actually produced those numbers, and plays that consistently, he WILL be applauded universally in Jets Fan nation for having done so.  It will be the single greatest production season in Jets history.

When he does it.

He hasn't, yet.  Not even close. 

Woulda, coulda, shoulda projections are just that, projections.  They're not real.  And no amount of them will erase his bad games and inconsistent play overall, or his inability to-date to play 16 games in his first two seasons.

Lets get him some help, get that O-line squared away, maybe get him a real #1 WR, and then lets see how he does.  For 16 games.  Not a cherry picked 3 or 6.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

But that's not his numbers.  Because he wasn't healthy.  And he didn't not play his bad games.  His actual numbers are borderline NFL bust at this point.  

Extrapolation of cherry picked "good games" only, almost all of which were against bad defenses and equally horrible losing teams, not representative of his actual quality of play, this year or last. 

These "well, if we take his one awesome game this year and project that over a full season equally, he has a 79% completion rate, 6,980 yards, 145 TD's and 0 INT's.....he's CLEARLY BRETT FAVRE" posts. 

When he actually produced those numbers, and plays that consistently, he WILL be applauded universally in Jets Fan nation for having done so.  It will be the single greatest production season in Jets history.

When he does it.

He hasn't, yet.  Not even close. 

Woulda, coulda, shoulda projections are just that, projections.  They're not real.  And no amount of them will erase his bad games and inconsistent play overall, or his inability to-date to play 16 games in his first two seasons.

Lets get him some help, get that O-line squared away, maybe get him a real #1 WR, and then lets see how he does.  For 16 games.  Not a cherry picked 3 or 6.

You are not considering the variability in his numbers. That shows potential, a bust looks bad no matter what sample size you look at.

• WTF? 1

Darnold is not the problem.  He has no OL, mediocre WRs, his literally fourth string TE and a RB who has struggled this season.   

This organization does not know how to surround a young QB with talent and also has no clue how to develop talent.  

Gase was not the answer he can never make second half adjustments.  Until we get new ownership this organization is doomed.  

• Upvote 2