Jump to content

Farve/Darnold Comparison


kevinc855
 Share

Recommended Posts

23 hours ago, chirorob said:

The more I watched it, the more I think there was miss communication.

I don't know who was at fault, but Darnold thought he was going in, and the TE thought he was going out.

Agree.  While I cant be sure, I'm thinking the QB, the one who is studies the O more than anyone else is usually the one who has the play right.  But you never know

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

Thought the same thing, lots of wow plays with some WTF on the side

And this is exactly what he is and always will be. 

Is there an outside chance he changes what he's always been ? Possibly ...but ....and it's a big BUT we are the NY JETS and we can never forget that.

There should be a ******* support group for the fans of this team.

Hi My name is Smash and I am a god damn NY Jets fan !!

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, nico002 said:

You are not considering the variability in his numbers. That shows potential, a bust looks bad no matter what sample size you look at.

Remember when Geno had a “great” last four games of either his rookie or second season?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

Anyone who follows this forum knows I been making this point for weeks now it’s seems to be getting more traction in the media and on here as Sam continues to make amazing throws followed by head scratching ints. That said Brett Favre went to the pro bowl 11 times, the playoffs 12 times, threw over 500 tds, won a super bowl and went to the hall of fame. So if you are telling me we drafted the next Brett Favre personally I’m not to upset. Sam is a gunslinger, get used to it. Some ints are Gona happen that make you want to scream. Once you solidify this o line tho the good will far outshine the bad. Lamar jackson is what is hot now. The way he runs and take hits I could see a very Michael Vick ending but we will see. Josh Rosen was a complete bust and mayfield is not living up to expectations. The other 18 qb playing decent right now is Allen but time will tell. Sam is a good qb and a good one for the long run. 

Love Sam but Brett Favre is a lofty comparison.  Pretty sure Favre won 3 straight NFL MVP awards.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't think he can be compared to Favre. I think he is a lot like Romo. Lots of great needle threading passes, but lots of bonehead plays too.  Romo wasn't great until he got an OL and then it was made even better when they had a running game.  Give Darnold an OL and a great RB and he will be a top 10 or better QB.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

Anyone who follows this forum knows I been making this point for weeks now it’s seems to be getting more traction in the media and on here as Sam continues to make amazing throws followed by head scratching ints. That said Brett Favre went to the pro bowl 11 times, the playoffs 12 times, threw over 500 tds, won a super bowl and went to the hall of fame. So if you are telling me we drafted the next Brett Favre personally I’m not to upset. Sam is a gunslinger, get used to it. Some ints are Gona happen that make you want to scream. Once you solidify this o line tho the good will far outshine the bad. Lamar jackson is what is hot now. The way he runs and take hits I could see a very Michael Vick ending but we will see. Josh Rosen was a complete bust and mayfield is not living up to expectations. The other 18 qb playing decent right now is Allen but time will tell. Sam is a good qb and a good one for the long run. 
 

 

The good is already out weighing the bad. We just need to build around Sam but the sky is the limit there. We need likely 3-4 starter on Oline and a couple reliable backups. We need at least 1 more real good WR. And, we need to get CBs and Edge defenders that are much better than what we are seeing now  that because of that against solid offenses dig a hole for our team like they did last night to the tune of 3 to 1 with TDs we get behind. That causes the coaches to start foregoing FGs and going on 4th downs in the red zone, as well as going for on side kicks, and the QB pressing at times both understandably since you are trying to catch up and win. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Lot K Tailgaters said:

Darnold is not the problem.  He has no OL, mediocre WRs, his literally fourth string TE and a RB who has struggled this season.   
 

This organization does not know how to surround a young QB with talent and also has no clue how to develop talent.  
 

Gase was not the answer he can never make second half adjustments.  Until we get new ownership this organization is doomed.  

Gase would be fine if JD over the next 1-2 years rebuilds the Oline, gets another very good WR or 2, and solves our Edge rusher and CB problems. I don't see the O having trouble getting defenses a bit on their heals, we just need better personnel as stated.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

Anyone who follows this forum knows I been making this point for weeks now it’s seems to be getting more traction in the media and on here as Sam continues to make amazing throws followed by head scratching ints. That said Brett Favre went to the pro bowl 11 times, the playoffs 12 times, threw over 500 tds, won a super bowl and went to the hall of fame. So if you are telling me we drafted the next Brett Favre personally I’m not to upset. Sam is a gunslinger, get used to it. Some ints are Gona happen that make you want to scream. Once you solidify this o line tho the good will far outshine the bad. Lamar jackson is what is hot now. The way he runs and take hits I could see a very Michael Vick ending but we will see. Josh Rosen was a complete bust and mayfield is not living up to expectations. The other 18 qb playing decent right now is Allen but time will tell. Sam is a good qb and a good one for the long run. 
 

 

I remember farve being like these plays suck I'm going to run what I want. Then all of a sudden we start scoring. Then he played hurt alot and that sucked when he went out 

It was night and day with a good QB and decent plays.

Damn if Darnold could only be given some decent coaching and plays.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, UnknownJetFan said:

Gase would be fine if JD over the next 1-2 years rebuilds the Oline, gets another very good WR or 2, and solves our Edge rusher and CB problems. I don't see the O having trouble getting defenses a bit on their heals, we just need better personnel as stated.

This is false. Other teams adjust. If we had weapons that were featured other team would just play to beat it. Gase then would not adjust and say stuff like we need to execute more...etc 

I don't get why everyone want to make every excise in the world for Gase. He is terrible. It was one thing before the season but we have now seen what he does and it is terrible

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

 Lamar jackson is what is hot now. The way he runs and take hits I could see a very Michael Vick ending but we will see. Josh Rosen was a complete bust and mayfield is not living up to expectations. The other 18 qb playing decent right now is Allen but time will tell. Sam is a good qb and a good one for the long run. 
 

 

“Mayfield isn’t living up to expectations, but Sam is a good QB and a good one for the long run”

LMFAO

Not only did you insult Brett Favre by comparing Darnold to him, the Mayfield/Darnold thing is just ridiculously lame. 

 

 

  • Thumb Down 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, CotcheryifyouCan said:

to me he is more romo. but in fairness romo was compared to farve. lets just remember hes 22, younger then eventual heisman winner joe burrow. 

I don’t think anyone is ever going to forget Sam’s age. Not as long as they  log on here. 😉

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

How does anyone watch Sam Darnold through two years and get a Brett Favre comparison?  Maybe Eli Manning or Christian Ponder. Hes better than Sanchez and Geno, but right now hes just a guy out there. Makes some nice throws. Makes some bad ones. But hes not relying on his arm the way Cutler or Favre did and Mahomes does now thinking he can sneak something in and it doesnt get there. Typically they are just bad decisions,.

Hopefully he gets better. The coaching staff is doing him no favors but right now there is nobody from the top of that draft class that stands out as a positive but only one (Rosen) that stands out as a negative. At the moment the most anyone can say about the other three is that maybe you can win with them, but nobody is to going to claim that you can win because of them and thats the type of QB you want.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, CurtMart said:

 

7BABA083-425F-4713-BD62-0E6CAB0B8245.jpeg

Let me see if I understand this.  Darnold is compared to Favre.  I point out that Darnold doesn’t have the arm to support being Favre.  You post a picture of a QB with a strong arm who wasn’t good because in your mind, this somehow supports Sam Darnold?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/13/2019 at 9:43 AM, Warfish said:

Darnold plays pretty well in a lopsided crushing defeat.

The next day, JN anoints him the next coming of HOF'er Brett Favre and declared henceforth that INT's can't be used to judge Darnold because "gunslinger".

:-k

Oh JN......=D>

I'm glad Darnold played pretty well last night.  I think I'll hold back pronouncing his "floor" being the wide distribution of "special" "miracles" and "elite" HOF status till we see just a little more.  Like some wins.  And some average NFL production over a full year.  And a few less INT's.  

Still, a small positive last night in a sea of national TV humiliation.

 

While most criticize him for not being Favre.

Favre wasn't Favre until he was 25 and in the league 3-4 years.  Doesn't take into account how terrible the roster is around SD.  Somehow gets lost in the translation.  You're right, people just need to be patient

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/13/2019 at 8:28 AM, TeddEY said:

And, scene.

Brett Favre without "epic arm strength" fizzles out of the league.  That "epic arm strength" covered up a ton of bad.

 

2 hours ago, TeddEY said:

Let me see if I understand this.  Darnold is compared to Favre.  I point out that Darnold doesn’t have the arm to support being Favre.  You post a picture of a QB with a strong arm who wasn’t good because in your mind, this somehow supports Sam Darnold?

Didn’t even quote anything remotely close to Sam Darnold. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

“Mayfield isn’t living up to expectations, but Sam is a good QB and a good one for the long run”

LMFAO

Not only did you insult Brett Favre by comparing Darnold to him, the Mayfield/Darnold thing is just ridiculously lame. 

 

 

I think mayfield would do worse here than sam

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

While most criticize him for not being Favre.

Favre wasn't Favre until he was 25 and in the league 3-4 years.  Doesn't take into account how terrible the roster is around SD.  Somehow gets lost in the translation.  You're right, people just need to be patient

I’d be happy if he plays 16 games and produces the average of the top 20 starting QB’s. I think that’s is reasonable. I don’t need Favre. I’ll accept Tannehill pre-Gase type production numbers.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

I think mayfield would do worse here than sam

I can’t argue that. Nobody really knows the answer, so your opinion is as good as any, no?

I wasn’t saying he would be better, I was commenting on the dismissal of hs season as opposed to his view of Sam’s future performance being stated as factual

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

Not only did you insult Brett Favre by comparing Darnold to him, the Mayfield/Darnold thing is just ridiculously lame. 

Favre wasn't Favre, at yes, 22.

He also wasn't Favre until his 4th season

So yes, its lame to compare anyone in their 1st or 2nd season to a HOF QB and for the reasons used, but it really isn't insulting if the time frame used. 

I do agree, the use of imagination when it comes to developing QBs is a little to liberal.  We all do it though.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Favre wasn't Favre, at yes, 22.

He also wasn't Favre until his 4th season

So yes, its lame to compare anyone in their 1st or 2nd season to a HOF QB and for the reasons used, but it really isn't insulting if the time frame used. 

I do agree, the use of imagination when it comes to developing QBs is a little to liberal.  We all do it though.  

Favre's second year and first year as a starter:

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/qb/1992

Favre also made the Pro Bowl that year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...