2nd down poor judgement and crazy owner makes me think of jumping ship

LNovik

I must admit that watching the Jets this year is a little better than in most of the past few years. At least they are not going 3 and out all the time. We are actually seeing completions and even some creative play calling. But 1 of the things that exasperates me the most is the game calling on 2nd down. Often the Jets will pass on 1st down, as opposed to when they used to be so predictable and run every 1st down. However, almost invariably, if they get a very short completion or an incompletion, they then run it on 2nd down. OF course, they usually get 2-3 yards, and then have to go into their 3rd and long plays. And, while they did convert several 3rd downs last nite, it certainly is a much more difficult task to pass on  3rd and long when everyone knows to expect the pass. How many times has Darnold been sacked-as in this past game-- on 3rd and long, when he even lost the ball. I know there must be some statistics out there that say if you pass the ball too often, you'll have problems. But a good coach has to realize that the running attack of the Jets is just not something than can usually produce a significant gain most of the time. And I do acknowledge that the running game was better than usual last nite. Perhaps they even knew they had no chance, and just wanted to continue to develop the running program. Of course, that wouldn't explain why even against Miami last week, they were still running on 2nd down when they had 7 + yards to go for a 1st down. One has to wonder just how many more points the Jets could get if they didn't waste as many of their plays on runs, and instead got the most our of their 3 downs. Of course, I realize things can and do go wrong with any passing game, but certainly, I believe, it's easier to complete a pass on 2nd down than 3rd. And, if I myself know that the Jets almost always run on 2nd down when have 7-10 yards to go, don't you think opposing teams have figured that out.?

However, being annoyed with what seems like these wasted plays might be something I'm willing to live with. However, when I then hear that their owner recently fired someone from his staff (though, not, I believe, from the NY Jets team staff) because that employee had the "nerve" to utter the name of Barack Obama---well, that is something that is bringing me closer to the decision to let go of the Jet hold that I allow myself to cling onto since I was a kid more than 50 years ago. If I wanted to root for a team owner who has his head up Trump's ass, I would root for New England! Imagine the joy of seeing your team win almost every week. And, if I choose to jump ship because of ownership, I think that's as valid a reason as any to follow 1 team vs another. It's not like these teams are fighting for our freedom or working on cures for diseases. And, perhaps I'm wrong about what I heard about Johnson firing this employee for the reason I stated.  If so, I'd like to be corrected with some facts.

Thanks for listening. Look for me on some other team's site in the near future.

LN

• Thumb Down 5
  • Haha 1

Great replies. I especially liked a part of one that said, I assume, in jest:

It’s a good thing opposing defenses can’t track patterns like us fans though. 

Another reply had said why don't I just quit (being a Jet fan) rather than broadcasting it. I guess, when I think about it, I was hoping that others might join in to object to the actions of the owner. I DO realize that--I guess---part of being a sports fan might be to leave politics aside and focus on the pure sport. However, I'm not talking about if someone is  Republican or Democrat. I'm referring to the firing of one his employees because that employee dared to compliment Obama about something. I'll copy the 1-2 sentence below, but as far as this goes, I'll just stop talking about this subject from now on---unless someone twists my arm and sees differently.

The headline: UK ambassador Woody Johnson fired a senior diplomat for praising Obama during a talk about Us-Britain relations.

LN
  • Thumb Down 5

On 12/13/2019 at 7:46 AM, LNovik said:

I must admit that watching the Jets this year is a little better than in most of the past few years. At least they are not going 3 and out all the time. We are actually seeing completions and even some creative play calling. But 1 of the things that exasperates me the most is the game calling on 2nd down. Often the Jets will pass on 1st down, as opposed to when they used to be so predictable and run every 1st down. However, almost invariably, if they get a very short completion or an incompletion, they then run it on 2nd down. OF course, they usually get 2-3 yards, and then have to go into their 3rd and long plays. And, while they did convert several 3rd downs last nite, it certainly is a much more difficult task to pass on  3rd and long when everyone knows to expect the pass. How many times has Darnold been sacked-as in this past game-- on 3rd and long, when he even lost the ball. I know there must be some statistics out there that say if you pass the ball too often, you'll have problems. But a good coach has to realize that the running attack of the Jets is just not something than can usually produce a significant gain most of the time. And I do acknowledge that the running game was better than usual last nite. Perhaps they even knew they had no chance, and just wanted to continue to develop the running program. Of course, that wouldn't explain why even against Miami last week, they were still running on 2nd down when they had 7 + yards to go for a 1st down. One has to wonder just how many more points the Jets could get if they didn't waste as many of their plays on runs, and instead got the most our of their 3 downs. Of course, I realize things can and do go wrong with any passing game, but certainly, I believe, it's easier to complete a pass on 2nd down than 3rd. And, if I myself know that the Jets almost always run on 2nd down when have 7-10 yards to go, don't you think opposing teams have figured that out.?

However, being annoyed with what seems like these wasted plays might be something I'm willing to live with. However, when I then hear that their owner recently fired someone from his staff (though, not, I believe, from the NY Jets team staff) because that employee had the "nerve" to utter the name of Barack Obama---well, that is something that is bringing me closer to the decision to let go of the Jet hold that I allow myself to cling onto since I was a kid more than 50 years ago. If I wanted to root for a team owner who has his head up Trump's ass, I would root for New England! Imagine the joy of seeing your team win almost every week. And, if I choose to jump ship because of ownership, I think that's as valid a reason as any to follow 1 team vs another. It's not like these teams are fighting for our freedom or working on cures for diseases. And, perhaps I'm wrong about what I heard about Johnson firing this employee for the reason I stated.  If so, I'd like to be corrected with some facts.

Thanks for listening. Look for me on some other team's site in the near future.

LN

What a dumb post lol ? 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, Maxman said:

I deleted my post, sorry.

You were 100% right.

No need to apologize Max.  I think you are 100 percent right.  We all have different opinions about the team and that makes for great conversation.  However once he mentioned  Obama I knew exactly what he was doing.  He was just wasting our time trolling 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Jets723 said:

No need to apologize Max.  I think you are 100 percent right.  We all have different opinions about the team and that makes for great conversation.  However once he mentioned  Obama I knew exactly what he was doing.  He was just wasting our time trolling 

Yes. It was a fake account. He is gone now.

Thanks.

• Upvote 2

On 12/13/2019 at 7:46 AM, LNovik said:

However, when I then hear that their owner recently fired someone from his staff (though, not, I believe, from the NY Jets team staff) because that employee had the "nerve" to utter the name of Barack Obama---well, that is something that is bringing me closer to the decision to let go of the Jet hold that I allow myself to cling onto since I was a kid more than 50 years ago.

First of all, where is your proof?  Also, when you hear that something happened, "Isn't that considered hearsay?  So, based upon a rumor or hearsay, you will no longer be a Jets fan?  After 50 years?  And all the employee did was utter the name of the former president and got fired?

I don't believe it.  If I believed nonsense like this, then I would not be as smart as I am, and I am of average intelligence.

Adios Amigo!!

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

WTF. The sh*t people post here. Well fella, when Sams throwing to some young stud like Ceedee Lamb, Herndons catching passes in the seam, we're running the ball, and outscoring opponents while our HEALTHY defense is teeing off with leads, you sure to be coming back & expressing how happy you are changing allegiances to hopefully the Patriots after their stripped of another couple of draft picks for cheating, Brady decides to retire to Cali, Belichick decides to coach the NY Giants & Sammy and the Jets are owning the AFC East. We'll pull your fingers off the bandwagon your trying to climb back on.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, LNovik said:

Another reply had said why don't I just quit (being a Jet fan) rather than broadcasting it. I guess, when I think about it, I was hoping that others might join in to object to the actions of the owner. I DO realize that--I guess---part of being a sports fan might be to leave politics aside and focus on the pure sport. However, I'm not talking about if someone is  Republican or Democrat. I'm referring to the firing of one his employees because that employee dared to compliment Obama about something. I'll copy the 1-2 sentence below, but as far as this goes, I'll just stop talking about this subject from now on---unless someone twists my arm and sees differently.

The headline: UK ambassador Woody Johnson fired a senior diplomat for praising Obama during a talk about Us-Britain relations.

LN

Oh, just **** off then, man. GTFO with this garbage and just....leave.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, jgb said:

Can’t quit this team. But I can lower my expectations dramatically from my ribald youth. And I have.

GO JETS FOREVER

Good point. If you have a pretty good life with plenty of people to love and love you back the Jets soul crushing disappointment balances things out. Thank you Jets! 

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Good point. If you gave a pretty good life with plenty of people to love and love you back the Jets soul crushing disappointment balances things out. Thank you Jets! 

In 98 i was with my dad at the NC JETS FAN CLUB to see the AFCC. I was in college and still believed to some degree in magical thinking. They’re gonna win, I told everyone, they have to because this is my team. The old salts just shook their head and put a hand on my shoulder. Defeatist losers I thought. Now I am an old salt. The universe does not care who you root for. Winning a ring requires good players good coaching staff good front office. How would you objectively evaluate us in this three areas?

Oh and also luck and even young fans should recognize we can’t rely on that.

2 minutes ago, jgb said:

In 98 i was with my dad at the NC JETS FAN CLUB to see the AFCC. I was in college and still believed to some degree in magical thinking. They’re gonna win, I told everyone, they have to because this is my team. The old salts just shook their head and put a hand on my shoulder. Defeatist losers I thought. Now I am an old salt. The universe does not care who you root for. Winning a ring requires good players good coaching staff good front office. How would you objectively evaluate us in this three areas?

Oh and also luck and even young fans should recognize we can’t rely on that.

My two sons have become salty beyond their years. . I’m actually proud Of that. 

• Haha 1

I've just realized letting the Jets ruin your Sunday or have loss hangovers between late Sunday & Tuesday was ridiculous. It's a game. 

The most frustrating thing for me have been these owners & how their indifference has lead to whet I believe the League itself treating the Jets like 2nd class citizens. Miami with Shula were upper echelon AFC & the Jets with the hard drinking Walt Micheals and the Jets blue collar fans were the leagues underlings. 

Thats how a guy like Shula, the head of the rules committee got away with not putting a tarp on the field in the AFCCG in 82. Could you imagine that happening now or the last 20 years? 

And the NFL continues to shaft the Jets, with ignored blatant late hits like Von Miller on Sanchez on TNF, or refs calling 6 penalties in a row vs the Cowboys (The NFLs team), or like last Thursday, 2 terrible calls, just awful non call on the NFL darling Ravens CB mugging Robbie, or the non reversal on the punt. I saw 3 guys in my neighborhood, 1 of them a Dolphin fan & the other 2 College fans who watched the game & the 1st thing they said to me was, man, you guys got shafted on a couple of calls. I just said, we always do, it's like clockwork with the NFL and the Jets (the Washington Generals of the NFL). 

Because our owners were & always have been pussies. Never upset with the league (how can you be when you've made billions?). So, I sit back & put my faith in this Joe Douglas guy. There is no where but up to go from here after the last 9 years. And I truly believe we have a franchise QB in Darnold. We'll see, and I'll cheer them on these last 2 games & Im optimistic about our offseason & the draft. The alternative is depression & complaining. It is just a game when it's all said & done. But I love the Jets, win or lose, it's my team. 

• Upvote 1