Jets losses this year have been by an average of 17 points

Rhg1084

15 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

from October, so the numbers will be different now, but still

I am not a Gase fan, but we have been begging for this.  We don't really deserve to get to complain.  The Ravens demolished us last night.  From the first two drives on, but Gase kept trying to win the game. Calling for an onside kick with 12 minutes left?  We can argue the intelligence (I would have called it off after the Ravens took the TO) of the move, but quitting in the 3rd quarter is something we killed Bowles for and not doing it probably has causes us to lose by double digits more often.  Defensive coaches play things close and eat clock.  Throwing all over the field extends the game, but gives these superior teams more clock to pound us.  Those close losses with Rex and Bowles counted the same in the W/L column. 

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

The games the jets lose are not even close! They get completely demolished. This is a big indictment on the coach where he can’t make any adjustments, if his game plan isn’t working out the gate then he’s done. Bound to be a blowout 

No it's not, LOL.   

Do people stay awake trying to come up with "big indictments" of a CS?  

We lost 8 games by one score or less a year ago.  And?  Feel better with those 4 wins?  While as @#27TheDominator said not trying to win games but keeping it close.  

And I love the "made no adjustments" cliche.  With this roster, his QB only being able to throw while running around for a chance to pass, without more than one option to throw to etc, etc, what changes are available?  Run Bell where? 

54 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I am not a Gase fan, but we have been begging for this.  We don't really deserve to get to complain.  The Ravens demolished us last night.  From the first two drives on, but Gase kept trying to win the game. Calling for an onside kick with 12 minutes left?  We can argue the intelligence (I would have called it off after the Ravens took the TO) of the move, but quitting in the 3rd quarter is something we killed Bowles for and not doing it probably has causes us to lose by double digits more often.  Defensive coaches play things close and eat clock.  Throwing all over the field extends the game, but gives these superior teams more clock to pound us.  Those close losses with Rex and Bowles counted the same in the W/L column. 

Bowles lost plenty of games by double digits too (18 with the Jets, against 24 wins). Even Rex, who was much more successul with the Jets than Bowles or Gase, had 27 double-digit losses against 46 wins. I don’t think style has much to do with it. It’s just something bad coaches do.

1 minute ago, dbatesman said:

Bowles lost plenty of games by double digits too (18 with the Jets, against 24 wins). Even Rex, who was much more successul with the Jets than Bowles or Gase, had 27 double-digit losses against 46 wins. I don’t think style has much to do with it. It’s just something bad coaches do.

I just think that means double digits isn't that big of a deal.  My point was just that close losses were meaningless.  The Jets had plenty of opportunities to make the score closer that would have given them less of a chance to win.  I am happier this way... rephrase: I am slightly less miserable this way.

3 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I just think that means double digits isn't that big of a deal.  My point was just that close losses were meaningless.  The Jets had plenty of opportunities to make the score closer that would have given them less of a chance to win.  I am happier this way... rephrase: I am slightly less miserable this way.

I agree that close losses are basically meaningless in that they tend to be random and regress to the mean (interesting side note: most of Gase’s wins are close!). But I think double-digit losses is a useful (if crude) measure of how crappy a coach is.