Mike Maccidentally made a good draft pick

On 12/13/2019 at 9:46 AM, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Would you agree that Bless Austin is a shining example of Mike Maccidentally making a good draft pick? 

austin has plaed pretty well and it would be great if he can continue to play well and stay healthy.  but is this a maccidental pick?  i don't think so.  mac had a habit of trying to pick the guys with supposed first round talent but were draft ranked lower because of injury or some other issue.  sheppard is an older guy.  austin was a good player at rutgers but couldn't stay on the field.  even cashman was a good player but had shoulder issues.  the list goes on and on.  the problem with this type of drafting is that there are reasons why players move away from being first round picks and trying to find all of these diamonds in the rough just means that there are players who can play that are passed over. austin was also helped because he payed at rutgers so he should've been looked at more carefully than other players.

11 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

If I'm objectively stating the good picks Mac has made? I would say both Jamal Adams and Sammy Darnold were excellent picks and both have the ability to be difference makers.

If I'm objectively stating the good picks Mac has made, but NOT players that are difference makers, I would say Marcus Maye, Nate Shepard, Folarunso Fatokasi, Lachlan Edwards.

So I'm objectively stating SIX picks are decent players. In other words, 6 players out of approximately 35 picks have actually become good players. 6 divided 35 = 17.1% So 17.1% of his picks are worth anything. This is to say nothing about the team being 5-11? That's a very sobering statistic that let's you know your GM sucks. It's clear that's someone that had NO idea how to pick players.

Adams was not a good pick in context. Not when the team needed a QB and two fast-maturing-to-stud QBs were sitting right there. Plus we’d have our badly-needed additional 1st rounder and three more 2nd rounders to use to help build around either one of them. 

Watson or Mahomes in 2017 + 2018 first rounder + two 2018 second rounders + 2019 second rounder + breaking in a young QB a full NFL season earlier (i.e. not fully wasting another season)

OR

Adams + Darnold

Adams may be a good player, and a successful pick in general (certainly the opportunity was there to make worse picks) but he was a lousy, shortsighted pick for the Jets given the team’s circumstance at the time. FFS in his best season the team has already been listening to midseason trade offers for him. Why? Because no matter how highly anyone thinks of him he’s still just a freaking safety — even with him playing well, the team is still a huge loser in 3 seasons out of 3. 

Given the circumstances at the time, made worse still by knowing how easy/perfectly it was set up for us (there were only 3 QBs with top 10 consideration in 2017, and the only one off the board by the time we picked was the bad one; we couldn’t have gone wrong with either of them). 

As to your math in terms of his picks, you are 100% spot on but his history is actually worse when you consider how difficult it is to screw up a top-6 pick compared to the rest of the draft below it, and how he wasn’t even making picks to help the team so much as which player was least likely to turn into a bust way up there. What’s his success rate when selecting outside the top 6 picks in the draft? It’s disgusting is what it is. Worse than a 9 year-old who never watches college games - and has personally scouted nobody, has no experience, and has no NFL-level resources - simply making blind BPA picks based on averaging the rankings from a few well-regarded (or not even well-regarded) draft websites.

Poison. Maccagnan was franchise poison. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Adams was not a good pick in context

That is the best take on Adams. 

In a vacuum, drafting an All-Pro safety is a win. In context, it was an awful pick. Adams has proven that a stud safety doesn't move the needle on a team that has so many holes. Adams would have been an outstanding luxury pick for a team who was one or two pieces away from competing. 

• Upvote 1