Sign in to follow this  
RonaldJet

Sam Darnold/Blake Bortles comprision

36 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

btw, peep the throw attempts. Bortles threw almost 300 more passes than Darnold. 

Presumably because Bortles played most or all of the teams 16 games both seasons.  Quick look, yup, 13 and 16 starts.

Darnold has 13 and 11 to-date.  There is a 5 game difference in those statlines not accounted for by the OP.

• Thumb Down 1

1 minute ago, Jets723 said:

Look you aren't high on Sam and that's your right Im not gonna attack you for that.

No, you'll just negrep him repeatedly for not toeing your line, right?

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

27 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

A quarterback with a 9-15 career record and 37 TDs against 27 interceptions has been compared to Brett Favre and Blake Bortles today. Guess which comparison people thought was crazy!

This.

Honestly, I think the hyperbole in both directions shows exactly how terrified Jet Fandom is about Darnold.  The Favre comparisons doesn't read as confidence, it reads as hyperbolic terror......the fear the guy we're all so invested in, just isn't that great and maybe won't ever become great.  Hence the overcompensation and hype for what is, to-date, pretty inconsistent and meh production.

Everyone agrees we need to improve around him:  O-line.  WR #1.  RB (if/when Bell is traded).  A hard look at WR #2-WR#4.  TE is probably Ok with Herndon and Griffin.

But even so, as said elsewhere, no one will care in 10 years how tough Darnold had it, how many flashes he showed, or who his supporting cast or coach was.  He either WILL produce or he will not, that is all that will matter.  No one today cares that say, Tim Couch, showed flashes (he did), was in a tough spot on bad teams (he was) or the rest.  He's a bust, that is how history sees him.

Sam must play 16 games next year.  No Mono.  No injuries.  He must produce an average NFL QB level of production, ~4,000 yards, 28 or more TD's, 15 or less INT's.  And 8+ wins.  No matter who his teammates are.  If not, be assured, the bust label will start to get applied, by the wide world if not those here.

Perhaps instead of pretending he is Favre, we should be posting about how Douglas needs to GM to support him being average to start with.  I care far more about who will be playing O-line next year than do some silly hyperbolic " god he's so dreamy and gunslinger and Favre-like" puff posts.

• Upvote 5
  • Thumb Down 1

8 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

I thought constant neg repping was considered trolling by the mods....

or am i just ignorant?

Who knows, he annoyed me so I dumped a few back on him.  Getting tired of getting negrepped for not walking the hyperbole line.  

Immature overreaction on my part and now I feel bad, i think I'll go remove them.

• Thumb Down 1

5 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Overall, I agree with all of this.

One thing, and I wouldn't even fight you that hard on it, is that I'm not terribly worried about the wins next year.  Our schedule, today at least, looks much more difficult, and I don't think all the problems of this team can be resolved in one offseason. 

You're right, we can't fix everything, just look at my plan in the other thread today (the "What do you do on 12/31/19" thread).  

With that said, here is the problem about not worrying about wins:  5-11, 5-11, 4-12, 5-11.  That's our likely record 2016-2019.

If we go 5-11 again in 2020, the Johnson's might just have a conniption fit and start tearing down everything yet again.  We have to show improvement to warrant investment.  And that includes wins.  Darnold winning only 14 games in three years is a bad look.  He needs to will this team to 8-8 next year.  It's just gotta happen.

If we go the route I think we need to, and I think Douglas will, I'm far more confidant we can do an 8-8 or better year.  If we do those things, and again, fail to win 6 games......

• Post of the Week 1

5 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

Reality is Darnold came in as a 20 year old player who had basically a year and half starting experience in college.  He only started playing quarterback i believe his Junior year of high school, so we're talking about a kid that prior to his first NFL start had 3.5 years of QB experience prior to taking his first NFL snap. 

First good post, so don't take what I say next as criticism per se, please. :)

But I wanted to touch on the "Darnold is only 22 and only played three days at QB in college" thing. 

I simply do not see this as a defense or reason or excuse (pick your preferred word).

If a GM picked a High School kid to come play Linebacker, and he clearly wasn't ready to play, no one would say 'well, he's only 16 and only started playing Lineback five days ago".  They would expect a pro to be ready to be a pro, otherwise they would criticize the kid for coming out too early and the GM for selecting a not-ready prospect and playing them too early.  Rightfully so!

Every time I hear "Darnold is only...." I cringe.  If he wasn't ready to be a Pro, then he should have stayed in college.  If the Jets thought he wasn't ready, he shouldn't have been starting from day 1.  If his lack of QB experience made him not ready, etc, etc, etc.

The #1 QB job is just that, a job.  Fans, rightfully, expect players doing that job to be ready to do it.  Not to spend two years learning how to do it.  His being too young or too inexperienced is not an excuse, it's (frankly) a mistake by management.  If he wasn't ready to play, we should have, and be playing, someone else.

Now, let me be clear, I think Darnold IS ready to play, has enough experience, and his age is not relevant IMO to his playing now.  So I do not fault management for playing him, I supported it.  But by that same line of reasoning, I also do not excuse his play because of age.  he is the #1 QB of an NFL Football team.  He has a job to do.  He needs to do it.  22 or 42, he needs to do it.  We don't get free points for his age, so his age doesn't matter.  And 22 or 26, both ages still have "time to improve", so that's not relevant either.

I don;t know, I just tire of this excuse tbqh.  No one in any other job would ever get the "well, he's only 22" excuse card.  

Just now, Jets723 said:

I cant believe saying he is still young and learning bothers some so much lol

Doesn't bother me, I just reject it as a reason/excuse for his reduced production.

If being 22 is too young to play NFL QB and be judged like a #1 NFL QB, he shouldn't be playing, he should be sitting, learning, growing older, till he is "old enough".

Personally, I think that is bollocks myself, he is old enough, hence his age is of no relevance to me, he gets judged for the job he is tasked to do (#1 QB), not by his age.

Be assured, when he reaches year four of his contract, and the team is deciding what to do with him, no one in the front office is going to say "well, he's only 24, so we really have to extend him another five years at (massive number) because we just can't judge his first four years here, too young".

The clock is ticking on Sam in NYC, 22, 23 or 103.  That decision date comes regardless.

59 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

+1

Brees was annihilating record books - averaging 5100+ yards and 37 TDs while completing 68% - while the Saints won just 7 games/season with him 4x over a fairly recent 5-year span. Were they losers because Brees wasn't a good enough QB? That's hard to sell. 

If Sam Darnold "annihilates" the record books next year, throwing for 5,100+ yards, 37 TD's (and less than half that in INT's) and completing 68% of his passes, be assured, I will not be critical of HIM.

If he throws for 2,900 Yards in 12 starts, missing 4 games, throwing 22 TD's to 17 INT's and a 60% completion ratio.......yeah, wins matter then for ol' Sam.

Seems kinda obvious for a QB in year 3.

Sign in to follow this  

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company