State of the Jets - Arguably more depressing than pre-Darnold

6 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

I'm not casting blame so much as stating a fact. The team was 5-11 the year before we drafted Darnold, it was 4-12 his first year as a starter, and it's going to end up 5-11 this year. The reason you give up four picks for a QB is because you think he can paper over all the holes you can't fill because you gave up four picks for a QB. So far he hasn't done it.

So you’re thinking QB in round 1 or 2 this year? 

11 minutes ago, Welp said:

How are you more upset by the Darnold trade rather than what some of the players we picked turned out to be with the draft picks we did have? You more upset about Darnold than Hackenberg or Polite? You don’t think that would have help infuse some talent on this barren roster? Man I really question some of you fans mental head space on here.

I was only upset by the Darnold trade in the sense that I spent the previous offseason screaming for Watson and then we took a safety instead. Given the available options in 2018, I thought trading to 3 and taking Darnold was a swing worth taking. The problem is that the roster needed help in like a dozen other areas. But when you give up four top-50 picks for one guy, you give up the opportunity to fix those other areas in the hope that the one guy is good enough that the other areas don't matter. So far, no dice.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

I was only upset by the Darnold trade in the sense that I spent the previous offseason screaming for Watson and then we took a safety instead. Given the available options in 2018, I thought trading to 3 and taking Darnold was a swing worth taking. The problem is that the roster needed help in like a dozen other areas. But when you give up four top-50 picks for one guy, you give up the opportunity to fix those other areas in the hope that the one guy is good enough that the other areas don't matter. So far, no dice.

But seriously, after 4 years of Mac picks... it wouldn't have mattered who he chose... Probably Ronald Jones, Justin Reid, and Marquiese Blair... with the 3 picks.. 

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

I'm not casting blame so much as stating a fact. The team was 5-11 the year before we drafted Darnold, it was 4-12 his first year as a starter, and it's going to end up 5-11 this year. The reason you give up four picks for a QB is because you think he can paper over all the holes you can't fill because you gave up four picks for a QB. So far he hasn't done it.

It's true. I, for one, think Darnold is a very promising quarterback awash in a sea of sh*t, and it doesn't look like it's getting better anytime soon, even if Darnold does. Hence why this situation is so depressing.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Depressing, but every word is true.

There isn’t a single game changer on this team, and it’s not going to get better soon. Look at the schedule next year.

Best case we have a couple or more raw inexperienced OL and CBs learning their job in a cauldron.

Even If JD is good, this is going to take quite a while to fix.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

This all assumes Mike Maccagnan wouldn't have drafted 2 IDLs and an ILB with said picks.

2 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Depressing, but every word is true.

There isn’t a single game changer on this team, and it’s not going to get better soon. Look at the schedule next year.

Best case we have a couple or more raw inexperienced OL and CBs learning their job in a cauldron.

Even If JD is good, this is going to take quite a while to fix.

Dont agree that its not going to get better.  Granted im more positive but I think with a really good draft and pluggin in a couple of these holes we have things to look forward too

4 hours ago, nico002 said:

Darnold has 14 TDs and 4 picks in the last 7 games

terrifying 

Each Darnold pick counts as 4 in a  Darnold haters mind so it's really 14TDs and 16 INTS and Darnold sucks........because you know he cant throw a long ball and 50% of his passes are terrible, shocking not to be picked ducks off of his back foot

• Thumb Down 1

2 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Each Darnold pick counts as 4 in a  Darnold haters mind so it's really 14TDs and 16 INTS and Darnold sucks........because you know he cant throw a long ball and 50% of his passes are terrible, shocking not to be picked ducks off of his back foot

Its sad but true.  he could have an otherwise very good game but 1 mistake and he is a "bust" according to them lol.  Any of the other QB's do that and its not big deal of course lol

Didn’t Sam miss a few games last year and this year which all turned out to be losses? Seems like your argument is a little disingenuous when you start handing him L’s in games that he didn’t play.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

2 minutes ago, JetFreak89 said:

Didn’t Sam miss a few games last year and this year which all turned out to be losses? Seems like your argument is a little disingenuous when you start handing him L’s in games that he didn’t play.

It’s not disingenuous at all. The fact that he’s been unavailable for 20% of the games he’s been eligible to play sure as hell doesn’t go in his favor.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

6 minutes ago, Samtorobby47 said:

Blah. Waste of a pick. Build your team first. We’ll be fine with Sam. 

These nancy-boys can’t see the forest for the trees because their beady eyes are filled with the tears of self-loathing. 

—Get some OL help in free agency and the draft.

—Add a legitimate wide receiver

—buy some corner help 

—Go into next season with Darnold and Gase. You either get better as a team, or you crash land again and are in position to fire Gase and draft Trevor Lawrence.

Wah wah wah I want to fire Gase because my feelings are sad and oh yeah let’s burn a two on Jake Fromm or some sh*t. These posters sicken me and I suspect they aren’t real fans like me

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

These nancy-boys can’t see the forest for the trees because their beady eyes are filled with the tears of self-loathing. 

—buy some corner help 

—Go into next season with Darnold and Gase. You either get better as a team, or you crash land again and are in position to fire Gase and draft Trevor Lawrence.

Wah wah wah I want to fire Gase because my feelings are sad and oh yeah let’s burn a two on Jake Fromm or some sh*t. These posters sicken me and I suspect they aren’t real fans like me

I can't even detect your shtick anymore!!!

6 hours ago, nj meadowlands said:

I woke up today not upset or surprised about what transpired on Thursday Night Football -- I think we all came to terms pretty quickly with the facts that the Ravens are awesome this year, the Jets are dreadful, and the Ravens would deliver the Jets yet another primetime spanking in their house.  In fact, I thought the 53 players who dressed yesterday played very hard, which (very sadly), is the best we can hope for these days.  I did wake up, however, enveloped by the sinking sense that despite the never ending free-fall of the past 10 years, we have not yet hit rock bottom.  No, that will occur in the 2020's.  Let me preface this by saying it is not a "SOJF" post, SAR, so you can carry on with selling your tickets for next week to Joe Bob from Western PA.  Rather, there are a few very concrete reasons why the State of the Jets on December 13, 2019 is more hopeless than it was before the Jets drafted their beacon of hope on April 26, 2018.

• Sam Darnold - Now 9-15 as a starting QB, Darnold has thrown 34 touchdowns vs. 27 INTs, and lost 4 more fumbles.  Seemingly every week, he does something that makes your jaw drop in awe, and something else that makes you recoil in terror.  I still believe in Darnold, who is only 23, has a tremendous arm, processes extremely quickly, and might have a more impressive temperament than anyone in the league.  I still think he'll be good.  I think the "excuses" many make for him regarding our bottom-5 offensive line and below average skill position crew are perfectly valid.  I also think the cynics have every reason to question whether the kid who turned the ball over a lot at USC will ever grow out of being the guy who turns the ball over a lot in the NFL, whether his footwork can be salvaged from years of playing behind leaky offensive lines, or whether his decision making will ever improve when his boss's decision making is incomprehensible.

• The Rest of the Roster - The biggest indictment on the Jets is that, aside from Darnold,  they have made no significant upgrades or long-term investments at the most important positions on the roster.  It's been discussed here and elsewhere ad nauseum.  Offensive line, edge rusher, cornerback, WR1.  Nothing.  Nada.  For YEARS.  They have instead wasted their time and capital building their defense into a unit that could compete with the running attack of the Providence Steam Roller in the 1930's.  Not very useful today, guys! The cupboard is so bare that I am rooting for the Jets to trade what are probably their two best players, Bell and Adams, to re-coup a few extra draft picks so that Joe Douglas -- himself an unknown quantity -- can have a legitimate chance at re-building this mess.  (Speaking of Joe Douglas, we all better hope his first Free Agency goes a little bit better than Ryan Kalil)  In a league where turnarounds are usually swift, the Jets' roster is probably 2 years away (which we seem to say every single December) from being remotely competitive.  You know what else happens in 2 years?  Sam Darnold will be an unrestricted free agent.  Depressing.

• Adam Gase - I am not a Hire Planes to Get People Fired guy. I think the NYSF guy is a complete clown.  But the body of evidence against Adam Gase as a head coach in the NFL is staggering.  He is now 28-35 as a Head Coach and his teams seem to lose by 2 touchdowns every single week.  Everything we feared about Gase last January has been proven right.  He's a megalomaniac who treats his injured players like sh*t.  He can't figure out a way to properly utilize the best offensive weapon he's had since his time in Denver.  His second half offensive gameplans get eviscerated every single week.  It's almost as if we should not have already committed ANOTHER year of employ to this unimpressive white dude with the seemingly endless record of failing upward... 

• The Johnsons - ...which leads us to the Johnson boys.  Lord only knows when Brother Woody will return from his eurotrip as Comrade President's ambassador to the UK.  Do we even want him back? (Elections have consequences, folks!)  When Woody was appointed ambassador, I was among the many of us ecstatic about the notion that maybe Brother Chris would run things differently.  Aside from being a little less socially inept, Brother Chris does not run things differently.  The Johnsons are the common thread presiding over the worst stretch in Jets history.  Worse than the 70's.  Worse than Kotite.  Woody Johnson is not a smart dude.  It took him 5 years to earn a history degree from Arizona State.  He is a dumb guy who was born rich, and who bought the Jets to be his toy.  The Jets are not a vocation to the Johnsons like the Steelers are to the Rooneys or the Giants to the Maras.  The Jets are dumb Woody's money making toy.  They are so profitable, and Woody has so little interest in what goes on on the field, that there is no real incentive to change anything (least of all, their dumbass reporting structure).

In summary,  Darnold may be the answer at QB, and he may not.  But given the state of the roster, the further teardown that is required to fix it, and the utter incompetence of the people tasked with putting it back together, we might never actually get to find out!  That, my friends, is ******* depressing.

That would be depressing because it would mean the Jets didn't pick up the 5th year option. Am I missing something?

11 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

—buy some corner help 

This is the only reasonable plan. If they stink next year Gase goes and you poke around at the QB's, but doing anything now is silly and will do more harm than good.

• Upvote 1

I think you nailed it. Deeply, deeply depressing and no light at the end of the tunnel.  I think Adam Gase has mental health issues.  In any event, like many people who become head coach, he cares more about his authority than winning.  If he was supposed to develop Sam Darnold, he's failed miserably.  Maybe Joe Douglas will be better than his idiotic predecessors but I wonder if he is really the person calling the shots.  The Johnson's are incompetent and there is no way to improve on that.  Very, very unlikely that they will sell the team.  Looks like we'll have another double digit losing season for the fourth consecutive year.  I see absolutely no reason why next season or the one following will be any better.  I used to wonder if I would ever see another Championship in my lifetime.  Now I wonder if I will ever see another playoff game.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, CTM said:

This is the only reasonable plan. If they stink next year Gase goes and you poke around at the QB's, but doing anything now is silly and will do more harm than good.

The only thing you hope for is that Joe Douglas actually knows what he is doing. As much as people are frustrated, this simply is not a quick fix, the last guy bungled everything for too long. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, dbatesman said:

Facts are not welcome in conversation about Sam Darnold.  Only reasons why, despite facts, he's elite.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Welp said:

How are you more upset by the Darnold trade rather than what some of the players we picked turned out to be with the draft picks we did have? You more upset about Darnold than Hackenberg or Polite? You don’t think that would have help infuse some talent on this barren roster? Man I really question some of you fans mental head space on here.

What if I told you there's enough mental head space to be unhappy about Darnold's performance relative to 4 high draft picks AND be upset about Hackenberg and Polite.  Frankly, it's Where's ******* Waldo to find a Maccagnan Pick not to be upset about.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, johnnysd said:

He's likely about to go 5-11 in year two, is in the bottom of the league in standard and advanced metrics, but it's the "haters" who have to do mental gymnastics to support their argument.  Yeah.

• Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

13 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

What if I told you there's enough mental head space to be unhappy about Darnold's performance relative to 4 high draft picks AND be upset about Hackenberg and Polite.  Frankly, it's Where's ******* Waldo to find a Maccagnan Pick not to be upset about.

So give Maccagnan more draft picks to **** up on? Let’s be honest he probably would have chosen Rosen had he not traded away the original pick and I wouldn’t be surprised if he would have chosen Polite with the 2nd round pick that pick he traded away.