My 5 Takeaways from the Ravens Game

bla bla bla

- Special Teams looked good outside of Ficken

- Defense couldn't stop a runny nose

- Sam played eh, agree with other peoples comparisons to Brett Favre

- Lamar Jackson a video game character

- 2018 QB class, Allen and Jackson both joined playoff teams. Talent level totally lopsided when comparing them to Sam

• Upvote 4

45 minutes ago, bitonti said:

the Jets were 4 plays away from 18 points  (missed FG, missed XP, 4th and Robby, the muffed punt fumble clearly bounced off the ravens dude)

more importantly Darnold played solidly  and told Adam Gase to shut the front door 

honestly I've never been more psyched after a prime time loss 

Basically where I’m at. I think Gase and Darnold are starting to gel and we get extended glimpses of it now and it’s the best Jets football I’ve seen since 2010x

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

I think the Jets had a lot of bad luck this year took even going bac to week 1.  I still have  bad taste in my mouth because we should have won that game.  The Mosley goes down,  then Sam gets mono which probably affected him for 2 months at least.  Then others started going down.   Between the injuries and some other things this season was doomed.  Now im not saying this was a playoff team but wedo have pieces and I think things could have been a lot different.  anyway I am hopeful for next year especially if Douglas delivers 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, bla bla bla said:

- Special Teams looked good outside of Ficken

- Defense couldn't stop a runny nose

- Sam played eh, agree with other peoples comparisons to Brett Favre

- Lamar Jackson a video game character

- 2018 QB class, Allen and Jackson both joined playoff teams. Talent level totally lopsided when comparing them to Sam

Who are you?

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

haha probably need the context of the video on that one. Makes some wow throws then has you scratching your head like Favre.

What I have been focusing on is that pretty much every week he makes some throws that I don't remember when / if I've seen a throw like that from a Jets QB.  Like that short-range TD to Crowder...

I think his body of work is short enough that it's not crazy to hope that his head scratchers get less frequent / go away.  I'm a fan after all!

• Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, thshadow said:

What I have been focusing on is that pretty much every week he makes some throws that I don't remember when / if I've seen a throw like that from a Jets QB.  Like that short-range TD to Crowder...

I think his body of work is short enough that it's not crazy to hope that his head scratchers get less frequent / go away.  I'm a fan after all!

Haha yeah I also think with some protection he will be legit. This OL is legit terrible.

10 hours ago, kdels62 said:

I feel about as good about the team as I have all year. Gase and Darnold tried and almost were able to keep the game respectable. Darnold made a bad mistake but was solid throughout. It’s unreasonable to expect him to be perfect in order to avoid a blowout.

Good post I love the fact you said “Gase and Darnold...” I thought they both were good last night, especially considering the matchup.

Two disturbing trends I’m noticing here about Darnold are the dumb Favre comparison, and the “blame Gase when any play fails, credit Sam when one works” thing. 

The latter is predictable, but annoying. Gase has done as well as could be expected with the same lack of talent on this team that’s used as exhibit A whenSam struggles.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, kdels62 said:

I feel about as good about the team as I have all year. Gase and Darnold tried and almost were able to keep the game respectable. Darnold made a bad mistake but was solid throughout. It’s unreasonable to expect him to be perfect in order to avoid a blowout.

Agreed.  There are a lot of people around here expecting this 22 year old kid to not only lead this crappy roster and mediocre coach to winning seasons but to essentially make up for all the past wrongs of the Jets.  It's as if throwing an INT to a 4th string TE who may have run the wrong route means the guy is a bust.  It's just been crazy.  I think Darnold played pretty well last night, not great, but well.  He can't force Jeff Smith (who?) to continue running that wheel route correctly or anticipate that the guy will pause so he should under throw it.  But it shows up as an incompletion.  Darnold threw about what, 4 or 5 TDs last night only to have Crowder drop one, Robby Anderson not hang onto a tough one on 4th down, etc.

It's like we have a bunch of old dudes here expecting this young kid to make up for every butt fumble, fake spike, and Gastineau late hit that the Jets have ever committed in their history.  Just let the kid grow and continue to develop.  I'm seeing lots of positives from him and he has some god-given abilities that just can't be taught.

TintedHeavenlyAffenpinscher_size_restricted.gif.e84b6f69f7a691aabb2c35b3b04112f4.gif

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

Good post I love the fact you said “Gase and Darnold...” I thought they both were good last night, especially considering the matchup.

Two disturbing trends I’m noticing here about Darnold are the dumb Favre comparison, and the “blame Gase when any play fails, credit Sam when one works” thing. 

The latter is predictable, but annoying. Gase has done as well as could be expected with the same lack of talent on this team that’s used as exhibit A whenSam struggles.

I think the frustration with Gase comes from the seemingly petty use of Bell based on the notion that he didn't want to pay for Bell in the first place. 

He has done a good job though, outside of recently out 1st few drives that have been scripted have lead to points. I also remember hearing a stat that the Jets have the largest separation from DBs which would suggest that the WRs are being put in a good position.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Agreed.  There are a lot of people around here expecting this 22 year old kid to not only lead this crappy roster and mediocre coach to winning seasons but to essentially make up for all the past wrongs of the Jets.  It's as if throwing an INT to a 4th string TE who may have run the wrong route means the guy is a bust.  It's just been crazy.  I think Darnold played pretty well last night, not great, but well.  He can't force Jeff Smith (who?) to continue running that wheel route correctly or anticipate that the guy will pause so he should under throw it.  But it shows up as an incompletion.  Darnold threw about what, 4 or 5 TDs last night only to have Crowder drop one, Robby Anderson not hang onto a tough one on 4th down, etc.

It's like we have a bunch of old dudes here expecting this young kid to make up for every butt fumble, fake spike, and Gastineau late hit that the Jets have ever committed in their history.  Just let the kid grow and continue to develop.  I'm seeing lots of positives from him and he has some god-given abilities that just can't be taught.

TintedHeavenlyAffenpinscher_size_restricted.gif.e84b6f69f7a691aabb2c35b3b04112f4.gif

I'm 100% all in on Sam. I think he's by far the best QB we've ever had and would bet money he'll own every notable record we have when it's all said and done.

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, bitonti said:

the Jets were 4 plays away from 18 points  (missed FG, missed XP, 4th and Robby, the muffed punt fumble clearly bounced off the ravens dude)

more importantly Darnold played solidly  and told Adam Gase to shut the front door 

honestly I've never been more psyched after a prime time loss 

yep.  i don't feel so bad about the loss.  it was clear they were outclassed because of the play by jackson.  the guy is just that hard to prepare for and it's even worse because they will only play the ravens every couple of seasons.  at some point the defense will figure jackson out.  i didn't like some of the execution and play calling.  they gotta be able to convert those 4th down plays.  and it was clear they were missing guys like thomas and griffen and even powell.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Larz said:

The take away is Douglas worked for Ozzie for 15 years or whatever 

I would have loved to listen into the call between the 2 of them after the game 

I'm always excited for our new GMs but Douglas has a different feel to me. I can't wait to see what he does this offseason!

• Upvote 1

I cant stand Gase. Having said that, I think he had a good gameplan. We were moving the ball well, especially in the 1st half. So I don’t blame the loss on Gase as the D did nothing (can’t blame them, too many injuries).

My only gripe with Gase was that 4th & 1 call. Run the ball man.

Darnold INT was brutal. That’s on him. 

Missed FG/extra point. That’s 18 points we left on the field, against the best team in the league.

Better roster next year (hopefully), more experience for Darnold, maybe a different outcome.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

After watching the game it is apparent the Ravens give Lamar more time to throw then the Jets give Sam.  The Ravens also run the ball much better then the Jets.  In short the oline of the Jets needs major work, but that is not new news.

• Upvote 2