Who's the next Lamar Jackson

jeTMAC

7 hours ago, jgb said:

Patrick Mahomes, Desean Watson, Lamar Jackson. The top 3 QBs under 25 in the NFL. All passed on by Macc.

Dou you think it matters at all that Mahomes and Watson both went to teams that made the playoffs the previous two years and Jackson goes to one of the best franchises in the league?

Is it possible that if Darnold and any of those 3 change spots that the results of either team would  not be drastically different?  

5 hours ago, chirorob said:

I think he'll evolve, so that instead of running for 1200 yards a season, it tapers down to more like 500-600 as he becomes a better thrower.

Watch the Jets game, he NEVER took a hit, not one clean shot on him.

Not true. One of our linebackers levelled  him early in the first half.

Eventually, he’ll get injured playing this way.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Losmeister said:

every NFL player is a leg injury away from...  whatever...

You watch the NFL and you honestly think a serious knee/leg injury to Lamar Jackson would have the same effect as a serious knee injury to Tom Brady or Drew Brees or Rodgers or Big Ben?

Brady hasn't  been able to scramble for years and yet he is winning Super Bowls. If Jackson lost the ability to scramble he would be out of the league.  

18 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

You watch the NFL and you honestly think a serious knee/leg injury to Lamar Jackson would have the same effect as a serious knee injury to Tom Brady or Drew Brees or Rodgers or Big Ben?

Brady hasn't  been able to scramble for years and yet he is winning Super Bowls. If Jackson lost the ability to scramble he would be out of the league.  

I wonder how good Jackson would be if he had knee's like Namath when he came into the league?? And Namath could scramble in college..

7 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

In terms of athleticism and college passing performance there's never been anyone like him in the history of the game.

So I dunno if there's a "next" Lamar Jackson. Honestly Kyler Murray was probably the closest thing in the last few years.

He’s the one I was going to mention.

We all like to say this is a copy cat league, so I think @The Crusher is right. Teams are going to start looking for more QBs with this style of play.

Whether they find one as good as Jackson is another story though.

• Upvote 1

Lamar can pass from the pocket, that’s the difference between him and guys like Young/RG3/Vick. You take the legs away from those guys and they’re useless. Lamar on the other hand reminds me of McNair, who was a running QB early on but became a fine pocket QB when he lost his legs including a co-MVP season late in his career.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

2 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Dou you think it matters at all that Mahomes and Watson both went to teams that made the playoffs the previous two years and Jackson goes to one of the best franchises in the league?

Is it possible that if Darnold and any of those 3 change spots that the results of either team would  not be drastically different?  

Last year people on this very board were calling Ozzie Newsome and John Harbaugh over the hill, out of touch and having lost it. Amazing what a difference an incredible QB makes.

Ravens and Chiefs are obviously better-run teams than the Jets but these are special players nonetheless. Darnold better show something soon. Excuses are running thin.

5 minutes ago, jgb said:

Last year people on this very board were calling Ozzie Newsome and John Harbaugh over the hill, out of touch and having lost it. Amazing what a difference an incredible QB makes.

Ravens and Chiefs are obviously better-run teams than the Jets but these are special players nonetheless. Darnold better show something soon. Excuses are running thin.

How special are they going to look behind this oline with gase instead of their coaches and with this teams weapons. 

7 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

How special are they going to look behind this oline with gase instead of their coaches and with this teams weapons. 

This is a circular argument with no end. Accepting it would be to accept that no players can ever be evaluated against each other unless they alternate snaps on the same team in the same situation. This is of course, ridiculous. Comparisons can and should be made. That's what discussing sports is all about.

Asked another way: who would take Darnold over L-Jax, Watson or Mahomes? I'd say <.1% of non-Jets fans. I'm sure many here would swear they'd rather have Sam. I'm sorry but I'd find that amusing.

8 hours ago, chirorob said:

I think he'll evolve, so that instead of running for 1200 yards a season, it tapers down to more like 500-600 as he becomes a better thrower.

Watch the Jets game, he NEVER took a hit, not one clean shot on him.

I did notice that.  He's such a fast runner that he knows how to turn the corner and then he's smart in terms of stepping out of bounds at the end of plays to avoid hits.  But still, the more he runs (and he runs a lot), the greater the odds he takes that big hit. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, jgb said:

This is a circular argument with no end. Accepting it would be to accept that no players can ever be evaluated against each other unless they alternate snaps on the same team in the same situation. This is of course, ridiculous. Comparisons can and should be made. That's what discussing sports is all about.

Asked another way: who would take Darnold over L-Jax, Watson or Mahomes? I'd say <.1% of non-Jets fans. I'm sure many here would swear they'd rather have Sam. I'm sorry but I'd find that amusing.

No one of course, but if you want to say that, say that,  Don;t give us the usual bs arguement we see on here blasting darnold and asking why he is not as good as qbs on teams who have good olines, smart coaching and way better talent.

If you want to slag darnold pick out some other awful teams and show why their qbs are doing well.

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

No one of course, but if you want to say that, say that,  Don;t give us the usual bs arguement we see on here blasting darnold and asking why he is not as good as qbs on teams who have good olines, smart coaching and way better talent.

If you want to slag darnold pick out some other awful teams and show why their qbs are doing well.

I judge QBs by production. Silly me. Ravens were rated a bottom 10 supporting cast when season began. With a "defensive-minded HC" who lost his touch. Now top 10. I wonder why? Hint: exemplary QB play.

PS: believe me, many Jets fans would find a way to say Darnold has more potential or is better than at least one of the aforementioned. In fact they have. Too lazy to find the posts but there are many.

The NFL today has evolved with rule changes to protect the QB. You see more offensive plays that are similar to what college has been doing the last ten years. There is no more fear for these QBS like it was. Sure we had a QB like Lamar Jackson. His name was Michael Vick who when I watched in college for Virginia Tech I just said wow.  Remember this guy ran a 4:33  40-yard dash at the NFL combine. But Vick played when you were still able to hit a QB. And the NFL defenses did hit him.  And he was still good to get three pro bowls.  But today he would be a superstar with this NFL. It really is unfortunate that the NFL created this and if you look back to different decades you see the QB rating going up every decade. 

Let’s not go crazy so fast yet about Lamar Jackson. The Ravens backup was the Lamar Jackson of several years ago. Until injuries and coaches learning how to scheme him made RG3 expendable. That style of a running QB was popular for about a year. Look he’s good but not great yet. I’ll take a regular pocket QB over a great running QB for longevity.