Sign in to follow this  
Beerfish

Army vs Navy is a joke....

I get the big rivalry and the tradition but these teams are not football teams they are track and field teams.  Awful football.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3
  • Butt Fumble 2

53 minutes ago, Lith said:

That last play was kind of fun.

Well it was a true trick play  'a pass'

Army games are fun to watch, especially at Miche. The problem is that when the score gets lopsided, it is very hard to come back without a real passing attack.

Don't think of it as a track meet but rather an old-timey football game from a half century ago 

Also, don't forget that Army took Michigan to OT in their house this year

• Upvote 4

52 minutes ago, CSNY said:

This is football in its purest disciplined  form which I thoroughly enjoy. The fact that there were no penalties ( or very few ) no showboating just blocking and tackling is great 

The sport at its finest. 

• Upvote 3

Wow totally clueless. Most ignorant post of the decade?
These cadets will be fighting for your freedom in a few years. 

even with the new rule very few kids with NFL potential will go to a service academy because there is no rule bending on entrance standards for jocks 

Trying really hard not to violate board rules right now lol

• Like 1
  • Post of the Week 2

6 minutes ago, Larz said:

even with the new rule very few kids with NFL potential will go to a service academy because there is no rule bending on entrance standards for jocks 

Don't be utterly stupid.  Just a moronic thing to say.  I've had many relatives in the military and some that have been killed in action.  My comment said not one word about the value of the armed forces.

When two teams play and a forward pass is literally a trick play it's crappy football.

So go ahead an violate the board rules dipsh*t.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Larz said:

You can be pro cadets and thank them for fighting for freedom while saying it’s not good football. 

1 minute ago, batman10023 said:

You can be pro cadets and thank them for fighting for freedom while saying it’s not good football. 

Yes but have a brain and understand why. 

3 minutes ago, Larz said:

Yes but have a brain and understand why. 

The reason for bad football is not mentioned or discussed in the original post  

Nobody is knocking the army or navy cadets or their service.  

Just now, batman10023 said:

The reason for bad football is not mentioned or discussed in the original post  

Nobody is knocking the army or navy cadets or their service.  

Last post on the subject I guess I have to spell it out 

It’s not Alabama / LSU because to get into a service academy you need to be the top of your class with a clean record and a letter of recommendation from a congressman.  These are true student athletes so the coaches are limited with what they have and they run the teams accordingly. 

It’s also not bad football btw  

Original post is an epic failure on every level. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Larz said:

Last post on the subject I guess I have to spell it out 

It’s not Alabama / LSU because to get into a service academy you need to be the top of your class with a clean record and a letter of recommendation from a congressman.  These are true student athletes so the coaches are limited with what they have and they run the teams accordingly. 

It’s also not bad football btw  

Original post is an epic failure on every level. 

You don’t need to spell it out. I went to an Ivy League school I understand your point.  :-)

its okay if it’s bad football.  My ivy games were bad football but I still went and watched. 

• Like 1

For anyone who can't figure out why this game is wonderful, may I suggest reading John Feinstein's tremendous book...."A Civil War, Army vs Navy. College Football's Purest Rivalry."  Then get back to us and tell us how horrible this game is.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, section314 said:

For anyone who can't figure out why this game is wonderful, may I suggest reading John Feinstein's tremendous book...."A Civil War, Army vs Navy. College Football's Purest Rivalry."  Then get back to us and tell us how horrible this game is.

Agreed.  The brand of football they play at the academies Is dictated by the type of players they can recruit and get accepted into the academies.   They don’t have exceptions for academics like all the other D1 programs, they don’t get 3,4,5 star recruits.  The triple option Is the best style of offense to play when you consistently have a talent disadvantage.  

• Upvote 1

One thing that I did take away from this game (aside from watching young men who work so hard in so many areas with great sacrifice), is that the NFL will now not block any serviceman that is drafted into the NFL. They can continue their service after their NFL career is over. 

Good move.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

One thing that I did take away from this game (aside from watching young men who work so hard in so many areas with great sacrifice), is that the NFL will now not block any serviceman that is drafted into the NFL. They can continue their service after their NFL career is over. 

Good move.

To your point, Danielson said on the telecast that he thinks the Navy QB, Perry, can play at the next level as a slot guy.

• Upvote 1

On 12/14/2019 at 4:20 PM, Beerfish said:

I get the big rivalry and the tradition but these teams are not football teams they are track and field teams.  Awful football.

Dude it’s a bunch of military cadets not every team is gonna have All Americans on salary like Alabama 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

On 12/15/2019 at 10:43 AM, sec101row23 said:

Agreed.  The brand of football they play at the academies Is dictated by the type of players they can recruit and get accepted into the academies.   They don’t have exceptions for academics like all the other D1 programs, they don’t get 3,4,5 star recruits.  The triple option Is the best style of offense to play when you consistently have a talent disadvantage.  

Army Cadets have certain height weight standards that some division 1 football players won’t be able to pass

also it’s not like schools like West Point and Annapolis have All Americans banging down their door to play when they can get paid big money at places like Ohio State

• Post of the Week 1

On 12/14/2019 at 4:20 PM, Beerfish said:

Lamest take I've ever read here.

Pathetic. Seriously. 

• Like 1
  • Post of the Week 1

On 12/17/2019 at 1:00 PM, Philc1 said:

Army Cadets have certain height weight standards that some division 1 football players won’t be able to pass

also it’s not like schools like West Point and Annapolis have All Americans banging down their door to play when they can get paid big money at places like Ohio State

Guys graduating from places like Ohio State and Alabama with a college degree and functional Illiteracy.  LOL. 

OP "I hate actual football played by people with character"

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Guys graduating from places like Ohio State and Alabama with a college degree and functional Illiteracy.  LOL. 

OP "I hate actual football played by people with character"

This brought to mind one of the most inspiring and emotional things things I can remember about this game, and it wasn't actually an Army /Navy game. Years ago, when Brady Quinn was the QB at Notre Dame, they had just beaten Navy and the NBC sideline reporter was attempting to interview Quinn. In the background you could see the Notre Dame players jogging over to a corner of the stands where the Navy team was assembling to sing their alma mater with the cadets. Quinn told the reporter he couldn't talk now, that he had to join his teammates. When asked why, he said  that Coach Charlie Weiss wanted the team to be with the Navy guys, support them and show them that we appreciate and thank them for what so many of them are going to be doing for this country in a year or so. Thought that pretty much summarizes why this Army/Navy game, and all the wonderful young men and women at these two legendary institutions, deserve to nothing but our respect and gratitude.

• Like 1
  • Post of the Week 2