Where are they now , Freeman McNeil ?

2 hours ago, RobR said:

Why would he have anything more to do with Hofstra? Didn't they lose their football team a few years back?

He was asked that in the interview.  And he discussed it a length.  That was what I was alluding too.  I dont understand the purpose of your reply.  The world of Wayne Chrebet must be an open book for everybody but me.

"Gee duh.  Why would somebody mention that!"  Hur hur."  What is this. A high school locker room?

11 minutes ago, pdxgreen said:

He was asked that in the interview.  And he discussed it a length.  That was what I was alluding too.  I dont understand the purpose of your reply.  The world of Wayne Chrebet must be an open book for everybody but me.

"Gee duh.  Why would somebody mention that!"  Hur hur."  What is this. A high school locker room?

I asked because I was so close to being a teammate of his at Hofstra. I was a year older but I remember when Joe Gardi took over the program and they were switching from D3 to D1-AA. 

Sorry if I didn't understand why Wayne would have hated Hofstra when they no longer play football. I still don't and if you didn't want to respond you shouldn't have.  

13 minutes ago, RobR said:

I asked because I was so close to being a teammate of his at Hofstra. I was a year older but I remember when Joe Gardi took over the program and they were switching from D3 to D1-AA. 

Sorry if I didn't understand why Wayne would have hated Hofstra when they no longer play football. I still don't and if you didn't want to respond you shouldn't have.  

I just didn't get the tone of the question. It almost sounded like you were acting like it was incredulous that I would ask such a thing. I mean, you almost played for Hoftsra and weren't certain the football team is gone?  I live in Oregon and even I knew that.

25 minutes ago, pdxgreen said:

I just didn't get the tone of the question. It almost sounded like you were acting like it was incredulous that I would ask such a thing. I mean, you almost played for Hoftsra and weren't certain the football team is gone?  I live in Oregon and even I knew that.

So you're saying he hates Hofstra because they disbanded their football team? If so, wouldn't that have been an easier answer? 

For all I know it could have been medical staff, coaching, who knows. I guess I worded my question wrong.

2 minutes ago, RobR said:

So you're saying he hates Hofstra because they disbanded their football team? If so, wouldn't that have been an easier answer? 

For all I know it could have been medical staff, coaching, who knows. I guess I worded my question wrong.

No prob.  It's cool.  Any way.  Sad to see they did get rid of the program.  

On 12/15/2019 at 8:50 PM, Jet Nut said:

I'll always remember a quote from when Don Shula was asked what he thought of Todd coming out of Alabama.  

He said he liked him: "as a linebacker" 

that would be a better description of Bobby Douglas, that rugged Chicago Bear qb...  oh the memories.

• Upvote 1

On 12/17/2019 at 8:42 AM, SAM SAM HE'S OUR MAN said:

John Dockery (September 6, 1944) is an American sportscaster and former American football defensive back who played for the New York Jets and later the Pittsburgh Steelers from 1968 to 1973. He was signed as an undrafted free agent by the Jets out of Harvard. He spent the last two years of his playing career with the Steelers.[1]

In 1965, he played collegiate summer baseball for the now defunct Sagamore Clouters of the Cape Cod Baseball League. A first-baseman, Dockery played alongside future major league manager Bob Schaefer under Clouters' manager Lou Lamoriello, who skippered the team to the 1965 league title.[2]

Following his retirement, Dockery went on to co-host Sports Extra on WNYW Channel 5 in New York City with Bill Mazer. He also served as a color analyst for College Football on ABC and NFL on CBS telecasts as well as a sideline reporter for College Football on CBS and Notre Dame Football on NBC.

Dockery served as a sideline reporter for Monday Night Football broadcasts on Westwood One radio from 1999 to 2007. Prior to that, he served as analyst for the network's Sunday Night Football radiocasts, as well as sideline reporter for other games.

Dockery continues to serve the game of football by co-organizing a youth football camp with Joe Namath that is in this 44th year. Additionally after his sports career Dockery founded Cambridge Corporate Services in 1998, a New York-based outsourcing service provider.

His niece Kay lived across the street from my old condo on Staten Island.

On 12/17/2019 at 9:18 AM, y2k8 said:

Channel 5's Sports Extra with Bill Mazer and John Dockery was must watch Sunday night after a Jets win. Loved that show and those two guys. 

While the network feed highlights they aired looked like they were shot underwater for some reason - they did splice in highlights from their own camera on the sideline which was a different perspective I enjoyed seeing. 

Loved that show although I was pretty starved for that stuff in the days before ESPN.

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

Big Cotchery fan....   went to an NC State game 2 years ago with tickets I got from Cotchery's cousin who works here at a client of mine.

We went in Jets Cotchery jerseys....    

IMG_0905.jpg

IMG_0909.jpg

Nice! I met him at a meet and greet at a Charlie Browns here in town some years ago...seems like a good guy. Oh, and Tar Heels, baby. I think you said some time ago you had one child in CH, and one in well, that other school?:)

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/15/2019 at 3:58 AM, roscoeword said:

Sorry, but  he was terrible, and we wasted our best years and roster with him at the helm. He was a wishbone qb that didn't run, didn't throw well, he happened to have one of the best receivers ever in Wesley Walker, who he underthrew constantly. Todd held us back. I know you guys are nostalgic and all, but I was a fierce Todd hater (nothing personal, he just wasn't very good) during those years. Matt Robinson was better, for crying out loud.  Did you guys watch the games?  Nostalgia could  be a strong emotion at times, but if you look objectively, Todd stunk and Joe Namath is guilty for touting him; Joe also touted Al Woodall, another TERRIBLE qb, who also wasted a potential superbowl roster.

Matt Robinson sucked, short sighted fans saw a game or two, hated Todd and called for him.  Its like the fans who believe Maye is better than Adams.  Todd never was as bad as Robinson was in Denver, that was an all time great trade if Jones works out as predicted.

And what would we expect, a starting QB to not talk up the talent of his backups?  

• Upvote 1

Matt Robinson to Bobby Jones in the old Orange Bowl I was there for that Robinson was magical at times and at other could not get the job done. He went to the usfl I think the Jacksonville team and did not do much there. I think Todd was the better over all player though, but Robinson had that touch with an cannon for an arm

todd had a heck of a sugarbowl game.  imo todd's problem is he didn't have a guy to hold his hand when walton was moved from oc to hc.  walton didn't hire a qb coach and todd needed someone there to stoke his ego and keep his head straight.  todd also didn't have much scrambling ability considering he can from a wishbone school and had to run from his position at times.  and then, of course, namath's mentoring was basically showing the kid all of the hot spots in NYC.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/15/2019 at 3:58 AM, roscoeword said:

Sorry, but  he was terrible, and we wasted our best years and roster with him at the helm. He was a wishbone qb that didn't run, didn't throw well, he happened to have one of the best receivers ever in Wesley Walker, who he underthrew constantly. Todd held us back. I know you guys are nostalgic and all, but I was a fierce Todd hater (nothing personal, he just wasn't very good) during those years. Matt Robinson was better, for crying out loud.  Did you guys watch the games?  Nostalgia could  be a strong emotion at times, but if you look objectively, Todd stunk and Joe Namath is guilty for touting him; Joe also touted Al Woodall, another TERRIBLE qb, who also wasted a potential superbowl roster.

I think Todd was a pretty good QB.  I remember going to the games at Shae when I was a kid with those winds that would leave your face looking like you were baking in the sun.  Todd did a really good job throwing in the wind.  Better than opposing QB's.  I also think Todd threw one of the best back corner end zone fades I ever saw.  He got such a good loop on the ball.  It is also fair to say that we don't know for sure what would have occurred if Todd stayed with the Jets longer than he did. He still had gas left in the tank when he was sent off.  I was at the playoff game at Shae that they lost to Buffalo when Todd threw the interception.  I have also seen the play over and over on tape.  It was a good come-back effort by Todd and very good defense on that play by the Bills.

As far as the Mud Bowl. To this day, that is still my most painful Jets loss.  

It is debatable to blame that loss on Todd.  I liked Walt Michaels a lot and I liked Walton's offense.  I have no idea what Michaels and Walton were saying to Todd in that game, but they should have been telling Todd not to get frustrated and impatient with the ball.  It was that kind of a game. The mud put their speeded offense behind the 8 ball, and that was that.  They were not playing the game with that understanding.  The result were the interceptions. The Jets defense was playing well enough to win that game with a single Jets score off of a Miami mistake.  

So... Were the Jets coaches not understanding what type of game they were in ??? If they were not in Todd's ear giving him instructions to feel good about having to punt, I don't blame Todd.  I blame Shula for pissing on the field and the Jets coaches for not making a wholesale adjustment.

That game left a lot of people in the Jets organization bitter and pissed off.  It served to close the door on the rest of Todd's would-be years with the Jets....

On 12/14/2019 at 5:40 PM, SAM SAM HE'S OUR MAN said:

The No. 3 overall pick in the 1981 NFL draft, McNeil enjoyed a stellar career at UCLA, earning all-conference honors twice for the Bruins. He wasted little time making a big impact for the Jets, leading the NFL in rushing yards in his second season.

A three-time All-Pro and three-time Pro Bowler, McNeil spent all 12 of seasons of his NFL career with the Jets, topping 1,000-yards on the ground twice, in back-to-back seasons (1984-85). His 8,074 career rushing yards ranks second in franchise history, trailing only Hall of Famer Curtis Martin.

McNeil ranks fourth on the Jets’ all-time rushing touchdown list with 38, and his 144 games played ranks No. 1 among running backs in franchise history. Only six players have ever suited up for more games as a Jet.

McNeil’s 1985 campaign saw him rush for 1,331 yards, the fifth-highest single-season total in team history. He carried the ball nearly 1,800 times over his 12-year career, averaging an impressive 4.5 yards per carry.

One of the most recognizable faces in the long, storied history of one of the NFL’s most prestigious franchises, McNeil made ESPN’s list of top 50 Jets of all-time, coming in at No. 7. Indeed, few players have left such a footprint on Jets’ history quite like McNeil’s.

McNeil has remained connected to his former team long after retirement, most recently appearing on the red carpet for the team’s unveiling of new uniforms earlier this year.

Freeman was a dam fine back. His 200 yard game against Bengals in the playoffs was fantastic. Bengals defense couldn’t tackle him for nothing that day. One of the best if not the best rushing games any Jet back ever had. His game the following week against the Raiders  was a pretty good encore as well 

On 12/14/2019 at 5:40 PM, SAM SAM HE'S OUR MAN said:

The No. 3 overall pick in the 1981 NFL draft, McNeil enjoyed a stellar career at UCLA, earning all-conference honors twice for the Bruins. He wasted little time making a big impact for the Jets, leading the NFL in rushing yards in his second season.

A three-time All-Pro and three-time Pro Bowler, McNeil spent all 12 of seasons of his NFL career with the Jets, topping 1,000-yards on the ground twice, in back-to-back seasons (1984-85). His 8,074 career rushing yards ranks second in franchise history, trailing only Hall of Famer Curtis Martin.

McNeil ranks fourth on the Jets’ all-time rushing touchdown list with 38, and his 144 games played ranks No. 1 among running backs in franchise history. Only six players have ever suited up for more games as a Jet.

McNeil’s 1985 campaign saw him rush for 1,331 yards, the fifth-highest single-season total in team history. He carried the ball nearly 1,800 times over his 12-year career, averaging an impressive 4.5 yards per carry.

One of the most recognizable faces in the long, storied history of one of the NFL’s most prestigious franchises, McNeil made ESPN’s list of top 50 Jets of all-time, coming in at No. 7. Indeed, few players have left such a footprint on Jets’ history quite like McNeil’s.

McNeil has remained connected to his former team long after retirement, most recently appearing on the red carpet for the team’s unveiling of new uniforms earlier this year.

Freeman was a dam fine back. His 200 yard game against Bengals in the playoffs was fantastic. Bengals defense couldn’t tackle him for nothing that day. One of the best if not the best rushing games any Jet back ever had. His game the following week against the Raiders  was a pretty good encore as well 

• Upvote 1