JetsLife

Parsing & Excuses - What Am I Missing?

'Crappy o-line and injury decimated' - if each Jets fans including myself who read, posted, thought or saw that got paid a nickel - that'd be a lot of nickels. And despite nickels and pennies often getting short shrift - they go a long way in good ol' SE Asia.

The Gase-led Jets have no doubt dealt with some adversity mainly the injury bug.

But here's the part I don't get: do you make excuses in your line of work? And if so and it worked - call me, I've always wanted a side government gig. But no seriously: you show up late more than a few times to work - you're gone. You do something else fireable - you're gone.

What is the obsession with parsing and excuses for Gase's performance? He's certainly done some good things, but he's also done some very bad things.

Do you think they accept excuses in New Orleans, New England, Baltimore ... Baltimore - even in some transitional years they were in WC contention.

I just don't get it. In the free-agency, salary cap era it's a fact that competent regimes begin turning things around almost immediately. No one was expecting the Jets to do much this year beyond perhaps competing for a WC, including me. But I hoped for better than a 35-7 scoreline late Thursday night; 33-0 MNF v NE; Philly & Cleveland demolitions, losing to two winless teams, and so on.

I mean, this Jets team was flat out non competitive in at least 3 games this season. Like the offense didn't even want to compete. What's the excuse for that?

Bad o-line, injury decimated - show me excuses and I'll show you a loser.

Still and all: as a sometimes rational person when it comes to the Jets, I'll give Gase thru week 5 next season. No doubt another big injury will occur, and if it hadn't, if only, if - if only an excuse could be pointed to.

• Upvote 4
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Butt Fumble 1

1 minute ago, JetsLife said:

'Crappy o-line and injury decimated' - if each Jets fans including myself who read, posted, thought or saw that got paid a nickel - that'd be a lot of nickels. And despite nickels and pennies often getting short shrift - they go a long way in good ol' SE Asia.

The Gase-led Jets have no doubt dealt with some adversity mainly the injury bug.

But here's the part I don't get: do you make excuses in your line of work? And if so and it worked - call me, I've always wanted a side government gig. But no seriously: you show up late more than a few times to work - you're gone. You do something else fireable - you're gone.

What is the obsession with parsing and excuses for Gase's performance? He's certainly done some good things, but he's also done some very bad things.

Do you think they accept excuses in New Orleans, New England, Baltimore ... Baltimore - even in some transitional years they were in WC contention.

I just don't get it. In the free-agency, salary cap era it's a fact that competent regimes begin turning things around almost immediately. No one was expecting the Jets to do much this year beyond perhaps competing for a WC, including me. But I hoped for better than a 35-7 scoreline late Thursday night; 33-0 MNF v NE; Philly & Cleveland demolitions, losing to two winless teams, and so on.

I mean, this Jets team was flat out non competitive in at least 3 games this season. Like the offense didn't even want to compete. What's the excuse for that?

Still and all: as a sometimes rational person when it comes to the Jets, I'll give Gase thru week 5 next season. No doubt another big injury will occur, and if it hadn't, if only, if - if only an excuse could be pointed to.

Hate Gase, but when my best guy is out in my line of work we don’t produce anywhere near where we do when he’s in, as a matter of fact production is down whenever any of my top 3 guys miss a day. 

• Upvote 1

Hmmmm. Interesting scenario but it’s quite the reach. And I’m not even a Gase supporter or apologist.
If 60 % of your company got sick and went to the hospital near the same time, and you had to hire a bunch of guys from the street who’ve never done the job before, would production be down?
Sure, everyone would try to do their best and make due with what we have but I would think any business owner, Director or manager who has a realistic brain cell in their heads would know that there is almost no way that production could be the same in that scenario.
Nice try though. And I get what you’re trying to go for here.
I do understand.

The bottom line is if someone is looking for the excuse to give Gase another chance, it’s there.
We can agree it disagree but it is there for all to see.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

200.gif

We need a new thread section FEELINGS and I QUIT post all your rants, raves and goodbyes here. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, JetsLife said:

841377544.jpg.0.thumb.jpg.bda908faafed20967b40a3e15cdbeddc.jpg

Joe Douglas is the hope. 

Maybe our luck has changed.  He swung and missed hard on Vanderchuk, kicker guy, as well as Kalil.

Our OL is a cluster we all know that but thank God JD saw how pathetic the depth was and got Lewis and Compton - neither of who have looked like the answers and both of which have had penalties and sacks but Sam would be much worse off without those 2.

When most of the starters, off a limited roster are MIA, its not an excuse, its a reason you fail.  

• Upvote 1

You seem to be confusing internet posters with the team. 

• Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, JetsLife said:

What is the obsession with creating 3 "I hate Adam Gase" threads per week each under a slightly different subject line and thinking you're fooling anyone?

When it comes to the 2019 Jets, "injuries" aren't a convenient excuse.  It's the reality.  You can't judge anything Gase has done because it's all in the context of a decimated roster.  If he coached traditionally, we would have 2 wins.  Due to his creativity and putting square pegs into round holes all year we have a shot at 7.

You are witnessing a great coaching job, one of the best in team history.  Stop with the pretend outrage already.

SAR I

• Haha 1
  • Butt Fumble 1

2 hours ago, Jet hustle said:

I agree with the post.  Every team suffers lots of injuries.  

Well, every team suffers injuries.  I'll agree with that part.  But "lots" is debatable.

Some teams suffer a few.  Some suffer many.  And, some lead the league in things like most % of Salary Cap on IR.

There are different degrees of decimation.  Ever listen to the reasons why Philly can't get over .500 and needs a huge comeback to win a squeaker over the Giants?.....and that's a team that won the Super Bowl two years ago.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, SAR I said:

You are witnessing a great coaching job, one of the best in team history.  Stop with the pretend outrage already.

SAR I

🤔

If Gase would have figured out how to use Bell more effectively, then you’d be right.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

Hate Gase, but when my best guy is out in my line of work we don’t produce anywhere near where we do when he’s in, as a matter of fact production is down whenever any of my top 3 guys miss a day. 

So then by the theory of the OP maybe you should be fired🤣

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

23 minutes ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

🤔

If Gase would have figured out how to use Bell more effectively, then you’d be right.

And what if that's impossible?  What if Bell isn't himself and the line isn't built for his running style?  This assumption that Gase wouldn't use his biggest remaining weapon is just plain stupid.

"Next man up" and "Figure it out" are charming cliches, works in stage musicals.  This is the NFL.

SAR I

3 hours ago, JetsLife said:

Your analogies are a bit off. You don’t get fired if two of your colleagues in your group called in sick and you weren’t able to make the deadline even after getting couple of makeshift employees that have no clue what they are even working on (Foles). If I get fired cuz my buddies didn’t show up to work, I’m filing a lawsuit. 

Having said that, Gase sucks regardless. 

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

SMH. You talk as if he has a proven track record. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, JetsLife said:

It's emotional. People would rather believe that he's secretly a genius rather than face the stark reality that he's going to be here at least one more year which means that Sam is either ruined or his rookie deal is wasted and then it's facing several years of what if Sam doesn't become a top 5 QB to justify his 2nd contract so the question is do you stick with a guy who can't carry a whole team on his back (of which saying even the top 5 QBs today can do that consistently is probably a stretch) or move on back to the land of Genos and Hackenbergs hoping to hit on one.

Hiring Gase is a mistake that could stretch out several years in fixing so it's much easier to hope that somehow, despite past and current results, that he undergoes some transformation to unleash the genius he's been hiding from everyone and ends up being even an average head coach.

• Post of the Week 1

Excuse.  Reason. Rationalization.

End of the day, people use these, because it helps retain hope.

• Upvote 1

Gase is a well-compensated professional. Results matter.

They fired the CEO of Blockbuster because Netflix destroyed their business. They fired the CEO of Kodak because digital photography decimated the film business. Et cetera. Like shareholders, fans should want results. Even good excuses don’t mean a thing.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, SAR I said:

What is the obsession with creating 3 "I hate Adam Gase" threads per week each under a slightly different subject line and thinking you're fooling anyone?

When it comes to the 2019 Jets, "injuries" aren't a convenient excuse.  It's the reality.  You can't judge anything Gase has done because it's all in the context of a decimated roster.  If he coached traditionally, we would have 2 wins.  Due to his creativity and putting square pegs into round holes all year we have a shot at 7.

SAR I

Comedy gold.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

So we can't judge how Gase handles injuries and adversity, because he had too many injuries and too much adversity.

Got it.

What we are witnessing is a great troll job, one of the best in forum history.  Stop with the pretend posting already.  

• Upvote 2

56 minutes ago, jgb said:

They fired the CEO of Blockbuster because Netflix destroyed their business. They fired the CEO of Kodak because digital photography decimated the film business. Et cetera. Like shareholders, fans should want results. Even good excuses don’t mean a thing.

So fire Gase because the great Le'veon Bells greatness has expired? 

Are we all watching the same game? Bell looks nothing like 2017 Bell. His start & stop looks like he's running out of quicksand compared to the other top backs in this league. His longest run is 17 yards. Powell, before he got INJURED looked like he was shot out of a cannon compared to Bell. 

So we have a bottom three Oline, a RB that isn't even 3/4 of what he was in his prime, no TEs (ok, our 4th TE), and a bony #1 WR much more suited as a #2 or #3 WR. We have zero go to Redzone targets. 

Against the top team in the league, our most COMPETENT player on offense, Crowder went for 90 yards & 2 TDs. So what does that tell me? It tells me that when JD fixes this Oline, we get Herndon back, we draft a stud WR & another RB with 1 of our 3rds, Bell will be the most expensive complimentary RB in the league if we can't trade him. Bell was a mistake, there was a reason the NY Jets out of 31 teams were bidding against themselves. No other team was going to pay him that much money. He's been a good soldier, well he better be, he got what he wanted, a large 2nd contract from the team always willing to prove their incompetent (see Trumaine Johnson). 

I like Gase for the simple fact he DIDN'T want Le'veon Bell. He was right, Bell was a luxury the Jets couldn't use at this point. 2 Olineman would have moved the needle more. We should have already had a RB in Cook, but we had an idiot GM that thought providing our last awful coach with 2 safeties was some brilliant move. Cause & affect. No Cook, which literally 90% of this site wanted in the draft forum led to us overpaying for a guy on the downside of his career. Bell might be 27 or whatever the Hell he is but watch a Vikings game & tell me who you'd want now between the two? 

So next year Bell will be just another RB splitting time with younger guy. We'll see if we can dump him, it'll be interesting. I'm not building an Oline specifically to help Bell & his running style. He'll be done here B4 our transformation to challenging. 

You guys don't watch enough of other teams in this league. Have you seen the Patriots offense sputtering? Poor Tommy is having a hard time getting on the same page with some young WRs. Did you see the Texans get beat 34-0? Obrien has been there what 5 years? How can you not score with Deandre Hopkins? Anthony Lynn looked like the next coming coach, what's the Chargers record? Clevelands record? 

The Jets record wise are exactly where's most of you thought they would be. When CJ Mosely went down they didn't just lose a defender, they lost 1 of the best defensive players in the league! He was amazing in that Buffalo game. We got 1/2 out of him. Yes, the 2019 Jets have an excuse, but not once in any press conference or on the field have they quit. And the coaches have made no excuses. Sure the games without Sam were just horrific, Pats, Eagles, and Sam had the "Ghost" game, but those are the growing pains all young QBs go through on bad teams. 

Im really looking forward to next year to see how Joe Douglas approaches free agency & the draft. I truly believe JD is the 1st real football guy we've had running this team in years. Forget the Kicker & Kalil, how about the no name guys he brought in here off the street? A few of those guys will be great depth next year & beyond. Go Jets. Like Jimmy V said, "Don't give up, don't ever give up".

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, CurtMart said:

Your analogies are a bit off. You don’t get fired if two of your colleagues in your group called in sick and you weren’t able to make the deadline even after getting couple of makeshift employees that have no clue what they are even working on (Foles). If I get fired cuz my buddies didn’t show up to work, I’m filing a lawsuit. 

Haha good luck with that. You must live in a very cushy world. 

8 hours ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

🤔

If only it was that easy lol.

It’s my place, it’s just the facts. It’s an industrial business and when the everyday people aren’t in the there stations for the day production isn’t the same 

9 hours ago, CurtMart said:

SMH. You talk as if he has a proven track record. 

He does now.

He's proven that in the unfair fishbowl of NYC that given every opportunity to do so, his team did not quit and instead played extraordinarily hard facing untold levels of adversity due to illness and injury.  If you had questions about Gase when it comes to player relations, communication, and culture-change, you should be very pleased right now.  The guy is a rock and his players love him.

As for what happens on Sunday's, in-game strategy, tough to tell, the jury is still out, that's what happens when you're down to your 3rd quarterback and 5th wide receiver, have no OL, have no running game.  All the calls he's made this year are tainted by the personnel on the field, most of which aren't NFL starters.  That half of the Gase puzzle gets solved next year.

SAR I

• Downvote 1

3 hours ago, jgb said:

Capture.jpg

Agree completely.

Kyle Shanahan should have been fired last year.  Idiot 49ers.  How could they retain him?

SAR I

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

So we can't judge how Gase handles injuries and adversity, because he had too many injuries and too much adversity.

Got it.

Adam Gase Report Card:

Handling Injuries and Adversity:

Grade:  A

Handling Culture and Chemistry:

Grade: A

Gameday Strategy, Playcalling, and Adjustments:

Grade: INCOMPLETE

SAR I

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, SAR I said:

He does now.

He's proven that in the unfair fishbowl of NYC that given every opportunity to do so, his team did not quit and instead played extraordinarily hard facing untold levels of adversity due to illness and injury.  If you had questions about Gase when it comes to player relations, communication, and culture-change, you should be very pleased right now.  The guy is a rock and his players love him.

As for what happens on Sunday's, in-game strategy, tough to tell, the jury is still out, that's what happens when you're down to your 3rd quarterback and 5th wide receiver, have no OL, have no running game.  All the calls he's made this year are tainted by the personnel on the field, most of which aren't NFL starters.  That half of the Gase puzzle gets solved next year.

SAR I

Hard to argue with a lot of this. I can’t stand Gase, but am holding out hope. His team hasn’t quit and certainly played hard on short rest and a decimated roster against the best team in the league.

There are 3 games however, where I believe the blame falls squarely on Gase.

- Buffalo (yeah kicker left 4 pts on the field and we lost by 1, but he as an offensive “guru” needed one to design one drive in the second half to put the game out of reach and couldn’t)

- At Miami. I mean come on...

- Cincinnati, where I think he heard the noise that this was Darnold’s offense during the winning streak, and spitefully (as is part of his reputation) tried to force feed a game plan that didn’t call ANY rollouts Darnold, didn’t run the ball outside or much at all against the worst run D. 

That’s 3 games, almost a quarter of the season. We should be 8-5 in the playoff hunt. So I give him credit for the good games and he fight the team shows, but those losses I blame him for are what ruins a season. You can’t have that from your head coach. 

Let’s finish strong. Hopefully Jamal and Q are back for Pitt & Buff and we can spoil a playoff birth or two, take the momentum and a better roster into 2020, and know once and for all what we have in Gase.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Hard to argue with a lot of this. I can’t stand Gase, but am holding out hope. His team hasn’t quit and certainly played hard on short rest and a decimated roster against the best team in the league.

- Buffalo (yeah kicker left 4 pts on the field and we lost by 1, but he as an offensive “guru” needed one to design one drive in the second half to put the game out of reach and couldn’t)

- At Miami. I mean come on...

- Cincinnati, where I think he heard the noise that this was Darnold’s offense during the winning streak, and spitefully (as is part of his reputation) tried to force feed a game plan that didn’t call ANY rollouts Darnold, didn’t run the ball outside or much at all against the worst run D. 

That’s 3 games, almost a quarter of the season. We should be 8-5 in the playoff hunt. So I give him credit for the good games and he fight the team shows, but those losses I blame him for are what ruins a season. You can’t have that from your head coach. 

Let’s finish strong. Hopefully Jamal and Q are back for Pitt & Buff and we can spoil a playoff birth or two, take the momentum and a better roster into 2020, and know once and for all what we have in Gase.

Darnold was short on 3 throws to Robbie in that Buffalo games that would have set us up for possible TDs. You guys make it sound like we didn't go downfield & played conservative? Then we found out Sam played with Mono. 

Every team in this league sputters a bit now & then on offense. That's when you need your defense to finish. I'm sorry, 16-0 should have been a win. The defense let Josh Allen score on 3 consecutive drives! I'm gonna go out on a limb here & say that hasn't been duplicated in the 4th quarter by Josh Allen & his offense since that 1st game. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

It's emotional. People would rather believe that he's secretly a genius rather than face the stark reality that he's going to be here at least one more year which means that Sam is either ruined or his rookie deal is wasted and then it's facing several years of what if Sam doesn't become a top 5 QB to justify his 2nd contract so the question is do you stick with a guy who can't carry a whole team on his back (of which saying even the top 5 QBs today can do that consistently is probably a stretch) or move on back to the land of Genos and Hackenbergs hoping to hit on one.

Hiring Gase is a mistake that could stretch out several years in fixing so it's much easier to hope that somehow, despite past and current results, that he undergoes some transformation to unleash the genius he's been hiding from everyone and ends up being even an average head coach.

That is one looooong sentence.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Great post, agree with it all, but I'll add:

Buffalo - We had a 16 point lead heading into the 4th quarter.  No matter how anemic the offense was that day and how the points were scored that day, bottom line is it's the D's job to protect at 16 point lead, not the O's.  Besides, Sam had a 104 degree fever and was hospitalized later that night.  We were the better team that day.  We had that game won.  Williams didn't do a great job as DC in that contest.  Mosley was going to be AFC Defensive Player Of The Week and then got hurt.

Miami & Cincinnati - One was a bad Darnold game, one was a bad D game, both featured cagey old quarterbacks that ate Gregg Williams for lunch.  It happens.  We've seen very good Parcells and Ryan teams lose inexplicable games to weaker opponents.  Happens to Belichick every year too, it's just the NFL.  If we were healthy and something like 6-4 heading into those games, I think that momentum and that roster wins those games easy.

The Jets are the Buffalo Bills with injuries.  Simple as that.  The Bills are having our season.  Next year, we will.  And Darnold can beat good teams too, something Allen can't.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

Just now, Jetster said:

Darnold was short on 3 throws to Robbie in that Buffalo games that would have set us up for possible TDs. You guys make it sound like we didn't go downfield & played conservative? Then we found out Sam played with Mono. 

Every team in this league sputters a bit now & then on offense. That's when you need your defense to finish. I'm sorry, 16-0 should have been a win. The defense let Josh Allen score on 3 consecutive drives! I'm gonna go out on a limb here & say that hasn't been duplicated in the 4th quarter by Josh Allen & his offense since that 1st game. 

Defense def takes a lot of blame for that game, yes. But he’s the head coach. He needs to over see everything. Offense is his specialty, he needed to put more points on the board to put the game away. 16 points is not enough for an offense.

And yes I felt the game was called very conservatively. Whether mono related or not, who knows. But, this is why I’ll keep an open mind, even though Gase’s track record gives me pause. He isn’t a first year coach. He has a rep for being stubborn, spiteful, and overthinks the situation. 

So we’ll see...lets finish with 2 wins ans spoil pitt and buffalo’s season.

4 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Great post, agree with it all, but I'll add:

Buffalo - We had a 16 point lead heading into the 4th quarter.  No matter how anemic the offense was that day and how the points were scored that day, bottom line is it's the D's job to protect at 16 point lead, not the O's.  Besides, Sam had a 104 degree fever and was hospitalized later that night.  We were the better team that day.  We had that game won.  Williams didn't do a great job as DC in that contest.  Mosley was going to be AFC Defensive Player Of The Week and then got hurt.

Miami & Cincinnati - One was a bad Darnold game, one was a bad D game, both featured cagey old quarterbacks that ate Gregg Williams for lunch.  It happens.  We've seen very good Parcells and Ryan teams lose inexplicable games to weaker opponents.  Happens to Belichick every year too, it's just the NFL.  If we were healthy and something like 6-4 heading into those games, I think that momentum and that roster wins those games easy.

The Jets are the Buffalo Bills with injuries.  Simple as that.  The Bills are having our season.  Next year, we will.  And Darnold can beat good teams too, something Allen can't.

SAR I

You nailed it with the “we are the Bills with injuries.” Both teams predicted to be fighting for a wild card spot at 8-8 / 9-7. Hopefully, next year is a different story. 

We absolutely need OL not just for pass protection, but a healthy run game. Darnold can’t be trying to win the entire game every possession.  

• Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Capture.jpg

Agree completely.

Kyle Shanahan should have been fired last year.  Idiot 49ers.  How could they retain him?

SAR I

Not saying fire the guy, only that excuses shouldn’t save him. And let’s look at his entire body of work, not just this year. Not a good look.

• Upvote 1