Parsing & Excuses - What Am I Missing?

JetsLife

3 hours ago, Jetster said:

So fire Gase because the great Le'veon Bells greatness has expired? 

Are we all watching the same game? Bell looks nothing like 2017 Bell. His start & stop looks like he's running out of quicksand compared to the other top backs in this league. His longest run is 17 yards. Powell, before he got INJURED looked like he was shot out of a cannon compared to Bell. 

So we have a bottom three Oline, a RB that isn't even 3/4 of what he was in his prime, no TEs (ok, our 4th TE), and a bony #1 WR much more suited as a #2 or #3 WR. We have zero go to Redzone targets. 

Against the top team in the league, our most COMPETENT player on offense, Crowder went for 90 yards & 2 TDs. So what does that tell me? It tells me that when JD fixes this Oline, we get Herndon back, we draft a stud WR & another RB with 1 of our 3rds, Bell will be the most expensive complimentary RB in the league if we can't trade him. Bell was a mistake, there was a reason the NY Jets out of 31 teams were bidding against themselves. No other team was going to pay him that much money. He's been a good soldier, well he better be, he got what he wanted, a large 2nd contract from the team always willing to prove their incompetent (see Trumaine Johnson). 

I like Gase for the simple fact he DIDN'T want Le'veon Bell. He was right, Bell was a luxury the Jets couldn't use at this point. 2 Olineman would have moved the needle more. We should have already had a RB in Cook, but we had an idiot GM that thought providing our last awful coach with 2 safeties was some brilliant move. Cause & affect. No Cook, which literally 90% of this site wanted in the draft forum led to us overpaying for a guy on the downside of his career. Bell might be 27 or whatever the Hell he is but watch a Vikings game & tell me who you'd want now between the two? 

So next year Bell will be just another RB splitting time with younger guy. We'll see if we can dump him, it'll be interesting. I'm not building an Oline specifically to help Bell & his running style. He'll be done here B4 our transformation to challenging. 

You guys don't watch enough of other teams in this league. Have you seen the Patriots offense sputtering? Poor Tommy is having a hard time getting on the same page with some young WRs. Did you see the Texans get beat 34-0? Obrien has been there what 5 years? How can you not score with Deandre Hopkins? Anthony Lynn looked like the next coming coach, what's the Chargers record? Clevelands record? 

The Jets record wise are exactly where's most of you thought they would be. When CJ Mosely went down they didn't just lose a defender, they lost 1 of the best defensive players in the league! He was amazing in that Buffalo game. We got 1/2 out of him. Yes, the 2019 Jets have an excuse, but not once in any press conference or on the field have they quit. And the coaches have made no excuses. Sure the games without Sam were just horrific, Pats, Eagles, and Sam had the "Ghost" game, but those are the growing pains all young QBs go through on bad teams. 

Im really looking forward to next year to see how Joe Douglas approaches free agency & the draft. I truly believe JD is the 1st real football guy we've had running this team in years. Forget the Kicker & Kalil, how about the no name guys he brought in here off the street? A few of those guys will be great depth next year & beyond. Go Jets. Like Jimmy V said, "Don't give up, don't ever give up".

He is getting another year. Nothing we do or say can change that. I support him because I want the Jets to win. But the excuses have no place here. Let’s be real. Not much in Gase’s history suggests reasonable optimism. It’s an argument based on hope—which is fine but let’s call it what it is.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, jgb said:

He is getting another year. Nothing we do or say can change that. I support him because I want the Jets to win. But the excuses have no place here. Let’s be real. Not much in Gase’s history suggests reasonable optimism. It’s an argument based on hope—which is fine but let’s call it what it is.

What sucks is guys like Herndon or Quincy missed an entire season with a new system. Offensive football is about guys being on the same page, knowing the offense, not making mistakes in routes, or blocking schemes. 

We're going to have & need a lot of new players on offense next year. How fast can they get them up to speed? That is the question. We'll need our defense to be lights out coming out of the gate next year while our offense gets into sync as the year plays out. 

I think Joe Douglas is going to target a veteran pass rusher? Yannick? Judson? and a CB, Byron Jones? Moving Bless to the #2, resigning Poole, and going ALL OFFENSE in the 2020 draft. Oline, WR, RB with our top 4 picks. That gives you 4/5 years of young salaries to grow with Sam Darnold. 

I know many here want Oline targeted in free agency but I think the price is too high because there are so few, Scherff, Conklin ect. a less expensive Thuney might be a target, but you'd still overpay in free agency. 

JD can't solve all of our problems in 1 year but with the addition of pass rush, and solid CBs, with our Linebackers & Safeties next year, the Jets could easily have a top 5 defense. Hold the fort with D while a whole new young group develops with Sam Darnold. That's the direction I see Joe Douglas going. We're gonna hear a lot of, "The NY Jets select Offensive Lineman", "The NY Jets select WR", "The NY Jets select RB". 

• Post of the Week 2

2 minutes ago, Jetster said:

What sucks is guys like Herndon or Quincy missed an entire season with a new system. Offensive football is about guys being on the same page, knowing the offense, not making mistakes in routes, or blocking schemes. 

We're going to have & need a lot of new players on offense next year. How fast can they get them up to speed? That is the question. We'll need our defense to be lights out coming out of the gate next year while our offense gets into sync as the year plays out. 

I think Joe Douglas is going to target a veteran pass rusher? Yannick? Judson? and a CB, Byron Jones? Moving Bless to the #2, resigning Poole, and going ALL OFFENSE in the 2020 draft. Oline, WR, RB with our top 4 picks. That gives you 4/5 years of young salaries to grow with Sam Darnold. 

I know many here want Oline targeted in free agency but I think the price to too high because there are so few, Scherff, Conklin ect. a less expensive Thuney might be a target, but you'd still overpay in free agency. 

JD can't solve alone of our problems in 1 year but with the addition of pass rush, and solid CBs, with our Linebackers & Safeties next year, the Jets could easily have a top 5 defense. Hold the fort with D while a whole new young group develops with Sam Darnold. That's the direction I see Joe Douglas going. We're gonna hear a lot of, "The NY Jets select Offensive Lineman", "The NY Jets select WR", "The NY Jets select RB". 

This team rolled a 0 for luck. We need to be twice as good to get the same results as other teams. Does anyone think we are there yet?

4 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

That’s 3 games, almost a quarter of the season. We should be 8-5 in the playoff hunt. So I give him credit for the good games and he fight the team shows, but those losses I blame him for are what ruins a season. You can’t have that from your head coach. 

If we are having the same conversation next year Gase should be gone. This roster when healthy or injured was really not a playoff roster.  But after some high draft picks and FAs, it should be better next year.  Gase cannot give games away like that and still make the playoffs.  

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, JetsLife said:

'Crappy o-line and injury decimated' - if each Jets fans including myself who read, posted, thought or saw that got paid a nickel - that'd be a lot of nickels. And despite nickels and pennies often getting short shrift - they go a long way in good ol' SE Asia.

The Gase-led Jets have no doubt dealt with some adversity mainly the injury bug.

But here's the part I don't get: do you make excuses in your line of work? And if so and it worked - call me, I've always wanted a side government gig. But no seriously: you show up late more than a few times to work - you're gone. You do something else fireable - you're gone.

What is the obsession with parsing and excuses for Gase's performance? He's certainly done some good things, but he's also done some very bad things.

Do you think they accept excuses in New Orleans, New England, Baltimore ... Baltimore - even in some transitional years they were in WC contention.

I just don't get it. In the free-agency, salary cap era it's a fact that competent regimes begin turning things around almost immediately. No one was expecting the Jets to do much this year beyond perhaps competing for a WC, including me. But I hoped for better than a 35-7 scoreline late Thursday night; 33-0 MNF v NE; Philly & Cleveland demolitions, losing to two winless teams, and so on.

I mean, this Jets team was flat out non competitive in at least 3 games this season. Like the offense didn't even want to compete. What's the excuse for that?

Bad o-line, injury decimated - show me excuses and I'll show you a loser.

Still and all: as a sometimes rational person when it comes to the Jets, I'll give Gase thru week 5 next season. No doubt another big injury will occur, and if it hadn't, if only, if - if only an excuse could be pointed to.

It's not excuses it's just wondering what this team could've done with a relatively healthy roster. Perfectly reasonable to speculate about. Get off your high horse like you're actually telling us something. Dumb.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, jgb said:

HC #1:

First 5 seasons HC with another team:  36-44 WP 45%; fired and rehired, first next season with new team 5-11.

HC#2:

First 3 seasons HC with another team:  23-25 WP 48%; fired and rehired, first season with new team at least 5 wins.

Of course, Gase is HC #2, and most will know who HC #1 is.

Only point being, you cannot always extrapolate results from other teams with other 'situations' resulting their firing in the first place.

Just out of curiosity, why are the Eagles so bad all of a sudden?  Wentz? Pederson?  Fletcher Cox?  Injuries?

They're losing to a Redskins team that the Jets beat and just barely squeaked by the Giants last weekend.  At 6-7, they've been unwilling to seize the opportunity to win the NFCE that Dallas has been trying to shove at them for weeks.

fwiw you are missing some basic facts of why you can’t compare the NFL to the real world. 
They have a collectively bargained agreement, they are in a union. 
They have agents   
Most of them have guaranteed contracts

The most important reason of course is that they are rare and very difficult to replace    

There are only 1,700 players in the NFL 

There are 5000 invasive cardiologists (surgeons) in the USA 

2 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Just out of curiosity, why are the Eagles so bad all of a sudden?  Wentz? Pederson?  Fletcher Cox?  Injuries?

They're losing to a Redskins team that the Jets beat and just barely squeaked by the Giants last weekend.  At 6-7, they've been unwilling to seize the opportunity to win the NFCE that Dallas has been trying to shove at them for weeks.

I give up why? Is it because JD left. 

13 hours ago, greenwave81 said:

HC #1:

First 5 seasons HC with another team:  36-44 WP 45%; fired and rehired, first next season with new team 5-11.

HC#2:

First 3 seasons HC with another team:  23-25 WP 48%; fired and rehired, first season with new team at least 5 wins.

Of course, Gase is HC #2, and most will know who HC #1 is.

Only point being, you cannot always extrapolate results from other teams with other 'situations' resulting their firing in the first place.

Maybe not but how would you suggest evaluating coaching candidates if not by their coaching resumé?