“Stability at head coach isn’t a reason to keep Adam Gase”

JetsLife

2 hours ago, rammagen said:

but allot of fans and turning the tv not buying merchandise and that hurts the bottom line. On Purpose when shopping for presents this yr I did not buy anything Jets, enough people start doing that sooner or later the owner should get the message

Merchandise is split 32 ways. So selling one more Jets jersey doesn't move the Johnsons' fiscal needle. Personally used to buy a lot of Jets merchandise , but no more. It's go the whiff of crappiness. 

5 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Bring Gase back unless the team implodes against the Bills and Steelers. Darnold is improving and Gase’s offense is humming along at times. The talent level on offense and defense is awful. Some coaches can use interchangeable pieces while others need the right guy. The 49ers were bad without Garoppolo last year and the Jets struggled without Darnold this year. 1 more year and even a mild talent bump and this team can be in playoff contention. 

Its so refreshing to hear rational thought in threads like these.

Thank you, kdels.

SAR I

5 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

Who said stability was the reason Gase is still HC? The reason Gase is HC is because that's the will of the Jets acting owner Chris Johnson. It's what he wants and that's all that matters. Fans can piss and moan all they'd like, the owner makes the decisions. His decision, and I agree with it, is to keep Adam Gase as HC. I want to see what he can do with at least an average roster. The roster right now is so bad no one could win with it.

Well, then... You better hope that Douglas does better with his drafting for the Jets than he did with the Eagles.  What I can say of Douglas now...  He's going to try to emulate what brought  success to organizations that he observed, while making few of the actual decisions that contributed to that success.

It goes hand in hand with assistants that worked for Bill Belichick who get HC jobs after leaving New England.  Most of them come with high hopes because they came from New England, but at the end of the day, they were little more than Belichick's laundry boys.  Even Mangini, who's methodical approach to drafting was bearing fruit, was a poor in game coach for the Jets.  He was learning on the job. 

To sum it up once again.  I won't blame Douglas or Gase for anything.  They are just the symptom.  We all know were the real problem is... 

11 hours ago, T0mShane said:

You’re not keeping Gase to project stability at the HC position. You’re keeping Gase to project stability at the ownership position.

that's a catch-22...if you need to keep a bad coach to show you're a stable organization...then you're not really stable organization

I dont have a ton of confidence in Adam Gase.  That said, he's 5-6 with his starting QB on the season with 90% of his team on IR and he's trotting out practice squad players week to week.  There is enough reason to defend him as there is to kill him.  

He's not going anywhere, so let's see what him and J.D. can put together this offseason and then start the evaluation. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JiF said:

I dont have a ton of confidence in Adam Gase.  That said, he's 5-6 with his starting QB on the season with 90% of his team on IR and he's trotting out practice squad players week to week.  There is enough reason to defend him as there is to kill him.  

He's not going anywhere, so let's see what him and J.D. can put together this offseason and then start the evaluation. 

I don't get this concept of Gase being an unmitigated disaster with his own hand-picked backup QBs somehow being some sort of irrelevant thing.  Pretending like coaches shouldn't have to deal with such a circumstance is patently false.  None of the Saints, Titans, Jaguars, Panthers, Chiefs, Broncos, Colts, or Steelers had anywhere close to that level of incompetence with their backups, all of them but the Chiefs dealt with it for more of their season than the Jets, and only the Jags, Broncos, and Panthers with as bad of an overall record, none worse.

Don't get me wrong, as much as I have been anti-Gase going back to the moment he was even being considered as a candidate, I can freely admit it's excessively unlikely he's going anywhere in the near future.  With that said, I'm still not going to buy this concept that his incompetence only counts when everything goes perfectly for him, as that's been the sole excuse of a continually failing coaching career.  How many years of "evaluation" do we have to pretend don't count before realizing the available evidence all repeatedly says the same thing?

3 hours ago, JiF said:

45 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

I don't get this concept of Gase being an unmitigated disaster with his own hand-picked backup QBs somehow being some sort of irrelevant thing.  Pretending like coaches shouldn't have to deal with such a circumstance is patently false.  None of the Saints, Titans, Jaguars, Panthers, Chiefs, Broncos, Colts, or Steelers had anywhere close to that level of incompetence with their backups, all of them but the Chiefs dealt with it for more of their season than the Jets, and only the Jags, Broncos, and Panthers with as bad of an overall record, none worse.

Don't get me wrong, as much as I have been anti-Gase going back to the moment he was even being considered as a candidate, I can freely admit it's excessively unlikely he's going anywhere in the near future.  With that said, I'm still not going to buy this concept that his incompetence only counts when everything goes perfectly for him, as that's been the sole excuse of a continually failing coaching career.  How many years of "evaluation" do we have to pretend don't count before realizing the available evidence all repeatedly says the same thing?

Ryan Tannehill, Kenyon Drake, DeVante Parker are all playing better without Gase. 

Total conundrum and I am not nor have I been comfortable with Gase as our HC. This could be a bad time for us to have to make decisions on Sam after next season. 

I think, as has been stated, we are stuck with Gase next year. But I don't feel great about it and my expectation level is low. 

Hopefully Gase and Co put together a strong offseason and can surprise me next year. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bleedin Green said:

I completely hear you and honestly cant argue with any of this because deep down inside I probably feel the same way.  I was against the hire and have many concerns still to this day regarding Gase.  Maybe I've just resigned myself to the fact that he's not going anywhere and I'm looking for silver linings but I do believe this was truly a doomed season that I'm not sure many if any coach could of overcome.  Yes, other teams have played well to admirable with back ups, none of them are anywhere near as bad as the Jets.  At the time they went from Siemian to Falk, the OL was disaster and they were facing the toughest part of their schedule.  It was just a perfect storm of sh*t.

What if the Jets win out?  7-6 with Darnold as the starter on this pos team? While unlikely, not impossible and pretty encouraging if you ask me.

• Upvote 2