A Question for fans of 30yrs or more ...

Dunnie

Darnold true talent cant be judged until an average NFL roster is around him. 

Jamison Crowder is the real deal in the slot. 

Bell will net us an important 2nd round pick next year. 

We have Gregg William's for 1 more season at minimum. 

Head coach cant be judged until an average NFL roster is around him. 

Dont be bummed. Patriots will most likely get heavily punished within the next 3 weeks. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 3

I’ve definitely been less passionate the last couple of years ...nothing to do with the record, I’m a 48 year old Jets/Mets/Islanders/Knicks fan here so theres not a drop of front runner in me . For me it’s actually more about the decline in the NFL overall, the product on the field is worse than I ever recall..I don’t gamble or play fantasy football, which makes me in the vast minority on this board and that’s fine , but those 2 things are what keep the NFL afloat and we all know it , from the perspective of a guy who is just watching the actual games I’ll say the product is trash right now , the referees basically decide who wins and loses most of the time , fan emotion has been taken out of the game , I used to jump out of my shoes every time we made a big play ...now I sit for 5 seconds and see if the play is going to stand before I celebrate, because it seems there’s a flag after every play ...I could go on all day but my point is , if your not gambling on the games and only watching as a passionate fan , the NFL is the 4th best product of the major sports right now and it’s not close . Sad actually .
I'm with u ..fantasy football/RedZone ruined this sport as far as I'm concerned.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Upvote 3

Somewhere between exasperation and indifference. Will they ever get it right? A horrid OL is a major problem,and that's on Maccagnan. Want believe my skepticism about Gase is misplaced. Figure Bell is not 100% most of the season. Still doesn't explain why you run him up the guy rather than off tackle repeatedly. 

What bothered me about the Gase hire is it was lazy, go along get along, thoughtless. I do not understand why every coach hired by the Johsnons thinks he can win games 13-10 without scoring points. Not to say Gase will be a failure. But we're in a division going on 2 decades with a pats team that scores at will and the idea here is to eke out games with  no margin for error ; makes no sense.  Like that he got rid of an idiot GM; that is a win, and not a small one. But will be left this season with the image of Gase sitting on the bench flipping through his playbook midgame.

• Sympathy 1

I’ve definitely been less passionate the last couple of years ...nothing to do with the record, I’m a 48 year old Jets/Mets/Islanders/Knicks fan here so theres not a drop of front runner in me . For me it’s actually more about the decline in the NFL overall, the product on the field is worse than I ever recall..I don’t gamble or play fantasy football, which makes me in the vast minority on this board and that’s fine , but those 2 things are what keep the NFL afloat and we all know it , from the perspective of a guy who is just watching the actual games I’ll say the product is trash right now , the referees basically decide who wins and loses most of the time , fan emotion has been taken out of the game , I used to jump out of my shoes every time we made a big play ...now I sit for 5 seconds and see if the play is going to stand before I celebrate, because it seems there’s a flag after every play ...I could go on all day but my point is , if your not gambling on the games and only watching as a passionate fan , the NFL is the 4th best product of the major sports right now and it’s not close . Sad actually .

Great post! Couldn’t agree more....

Officiating and instant replay has ruined the game.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

24:25:31

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

26 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Are you as apathetic as I am right now ? I was the most ardent of fans until this year.

Darnold looks good but not great ... Ala pre noodle arm Pennington or early OBrien. In terms of talent ... Not style.

Zero wide receivers

Bell looks like Discount Bell.

Defense looks very good ... But mostly due to a great DC that will most likely move on after this season.

HC ... Looks like an OC over his head.

Help me out here. ... Seriously bummed.

Pretty much spot on to me. I’m probably more optimistic about Darnold though. The only QB in this years draft I’d be hard to pass up is a healthy Tua but from an organizational perspective I think, they picked Darnold, it’s less than 2 years, you have to ride that horse while actually giving him a real shot for another two by Drafting and signing offensive help....this should have happened two years ago but Maccagnan is an abomination 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, Jolot said:

Would only disagree that MLB is boring and takes forever. And the NBA is an apparel franchise that has a sports league attached. The players are in competition with their supposed fans to see who is more indifferent to their actual games. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Are you as apathetic as I am right now ? I was the most ardent of fans until this year.

I'm very optimistic and looking forward to the next two or three seasons. We have the people in place to build a framework for success; A FQB, GM that values impact positions and a HC that will surprise the Jet fans that want him fired after he has some talent on the roster.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, Jolot said:

Agreed on most of this, in fact we root for the same teams... and I'm 2 years older than you.  I agree that football product has dropped but I can't say it's 4th in this.... you really watching a knick game over a jets game?  

• Sympathy 1

11 minutes ago, Jolot said:

This should be pinned.

Bravo ?

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

19 minutes ago, JTJet said:

Dont be bummed. Patriots will most likely get heavily punished within the next 3 weeks. 

All good points.

I'm higher on Darnold than on the HC, and I think he's the one thing saving any hope we have that the Jets will become a good team sooner rather than later.

Douglas is TBD and we truly won't know about him for at least one to two years.  Remember, Macc looked like a genius at first, taking the BAP in Leo Williams when previous Jets GMs tried to outsmart themselves.  He made an astute trade for Brandon Marshall at WR that opened the Jets O that first season or so, etc.  So, we need to be careful with Douglas.

Gase concerns me.  I see hints of brilliance in the play design and route trees that guys are running, but he hasn't adapted enough to what his best players do well.  The defense of Gase was that his personnel sucked in Miami, but three of those key guys (Tannehill, Kenyon Drake, Davante Parker) are all having really great seasons without Gase now.

I hope Gregg Williams sticks around.  We'll need him.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

9 minutes ago, JiF said:

My lack of interest has more to do with the NFL being the biggest piece of trash in all of major sports than it does with the Jets sucking.  The Jets sucking is completely out of my control so I dont get upset about it.  The sad part is, I was once all about the NFL. It was by far and away the king of all sports.  Now?  It's trash.  The product, the play, the officiating, the cheating, the scandals, the miserable personalities, the week to week reactionary nonsense.  It's trash.  I have more apathy toward the league than I do the Jets.

Yes lots of this, I blame the last CBA that is when the product became trash, the rest was already happening, or were gonna happen anyway, but if the product was as good on the field like it was pre 2011 not many would complain, or even notice the other stuff you listed.

All good points.

I'm higher on Darnold than on the HC, and I think he's the one thing saving any hope we have that the Jets will become a good team sooner rather than later.

Douglas is TBD and we truly won't know about him for at least one to two years.  Remember, Macc looked like a genius at first, taking the BAP in Leo Williams when previous Jets GMs tried to outsmart themselves.  He made an astute trade for Brandon Marshall at WR that opened the Jets O that first season or so, etc.  So, we need to be careful with Douglas.

Gase concerns me.  I see hints of brilliance in the play design and route trees that guys are running, but he hasn't adapted enough to what his best players do well.  The defense of Gase was that his personnel sucked in Miami, but three of those key guys (Tannehill, Kenyon Drake, Davante Parker) are all having really great seasons without Gase now.

I hope Gregg Williams sticks around.  We'll need him.

I have never felt that the man builds or posseses confidence

38 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Darnold looks good but not great ... Ala pre noodle arm Pennington or early OBrien. In terms of talent ... Not style.

Zero wide receivers

Bell looks like Discount Bell.

Defense looks very good ... But mostly due to a great DC that will most likely move on after this season.

HC ... Looks like an OC over his head.

Help me out here. ... Seriously bummed.

it wears on you.  i can't say i was ever really apathetic towards the jets.  my days are better if they win but at the end of the day how i feel has nothing to do with how the team plays.

If not for Darnold, I would be completely apathetic.  He's the only ray of hope on this team and the reason I still give a crap.  The Johnson's have been terrible owners and over time, it saps the joy out of rooting, much like the Wilpons have done for me with my beloved Mets.  

My father indoctrinated me to the cult of the Jets and Mets at a very young age, and even though I swore not to do the same to my son, I couldn't help myself and now my 18 year old is in the misery boat with us all, floating around in fan purgatory.  Shame on me.  8-)

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Trying to be patient...not looking to blow it up cause the first year is not great and hoping that they grow together into this offense and we start hitting on multiple rounds of the draft...

Right.
Gase really took a hard hit with the pass heavy Bengals loss to me. That is where my attempt to support him died.
But since he’s most likely not going anywhere, I just want to see JD maximize the value of our roster. Trading Bell or even Adams if the price is right. Maybe Quinnen Williams as well.
Take the heaps of draft picks and grab as many stud OL and WR’s we can.
Offense first. Then CB.

Get rid of all the losers like Iron man Winters, trumaine Johnson and the rest and revamp the hell out of this team for Sam.
If Gase can’t get us to 8-9 wins JD can go grab Greg Roman to bring Sam up the right way.

I’m all in on Sam but Gase still has a lot to prove. He should start with not sitting alone on the bench drawing pictures in his notebook during the games.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, JTJet said:

Darnold is great but yeah a gameplan would help

Crowder is so real deal he drops passes at the most inopportune time and has never lived up to potential

Bell is the best player we have probably wise to keep him on the squad. Maybe give him the ball more chief

G Williams should be Let the HC

Um...no. you can judge anyone on the job they are doing. Everything with Gase is worse than before. WORSE than bowles...you fire that person 10 out of 10 times. Hes literally worse than bowles

Who gives a **** about the Patriots. I don't give a God dn piece of sh*t about them. Wtf who cares about them? I want to beat them and wins fing Superbowl. You want to point your finger and wallow in thier fines...Jesus Christ.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

The problem is that the team got what should be a franchise QB two years ago.  The team should be looking competitive and promising with a view to make noise in a year at most (see a team like buffalo)

But because the previous gm was so utterly terrible at every aspect of his job the team is a long ways off with little talent in all the most important positions.

On top of that we once again have a terrible coach after firing a terrible coach and we are stuck with him at least two more years.

The only hopeful part of this team is the new gm but even he has gotten off to a shaky start.

That is the part for the Jets.

I agree with Jif about this league it is run in a terrible fashion with awful rules and almost every decision they make is the wrong one.

(The players as a whole seem to be bigger aholes as well.)

• Post of the Week 1

Been a fan for 39 long years.  Saw my first game at Shea when I was 14.  I'm 53 now.  

Here is how I see it.

When I'm at a game or watching at home, win or lose, I'm not at work.  That is a good thing.  

Even if the Jet's suck and they don't win, I'm not the one messing up on the field or the sidelines.  I do *my* job well and I'm not going to be "cut" or "traded".  

When we get a season like 1982, 1986, 1997, 2009 or 2010, it is a bonus. 

Been a fan for 39 long years.  Saw my first game at Shea when I was 14.  I'm 53 now.  
Here is how I see it.
When I'm at a game or watching at home, win or lose, I'm not at work.  That is a good thing.  
Even if the Jet's suck and they don't win, I'm not the one messing up on the field or the sidelines.  I do *my* job well and I'm not going to be "cut" or "traded".  
When we get a season like 1982, 1986, 1997, 2009 or 2010, it is a bonus. 
I'm only two years behind you...

That is sadi remember really looking forward to and investing emotional energy into every weekend.

1 hour ago, JTJet said:

Going into his 5th year as an NFL Head Coach in 2020.

Can't be evaluated yet. :-k

Tell me, can we evaluate Gase by his 10th year, or the 11th year is free?

I get it, in 2035 we will be able to finally evaluate Darnold and Gase.  I look forward to that day, presuming I live that long.

• Upvote 1

It's hard to be optimistic but I have watched this team since 1980 and really do believe Sam Darnold will be (at minimum) very good with a decent chance to be great.  That gives me hope. He needs time but I believe he will get there.

Joe Douglas also gives me hope as he at least has a good reputation. We shall see if that translates.

• Upvote 2