A Question for fans of 30yrs or more ...

Dunnie

I cant blame you. I'm an older Jets fan myself. Truthfully, Darnald has kept me interested. He gives us a chance. I also think you are underestimating Ken O'Brien and Chad Pennington. Both were very good players, and with the correct players around them, gave us a chance to get to the playoffs where anything can happen. Worst case scenario is that if Darnald is only as good as O'Brien and Pennington it would at least give us a chance for the next ten plus years (barring  injury)
I agree ...that was kind of my point ... Both the aforementioned QBs were very good but not elite ... Capable of winning ... But not really carrying the team.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

21 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

I agree ...that was kind of my point ... Both the aforementioned QBs were very good but not elite ... Capable of winning ... But not really carrying the team.

O'Brien never won a playoff game something his backup Ryan did..Also never had even 1 rushing TD Namath had 7 wearing braces.. Chad at least had some playoff success of course Sanchez won 4 playoff games..LOL

Just adding on to what others have said - the holding, pass interference, and roughing calls have completely destroyed the viewing experience for me.  There is zero consistency.  The refs call these penalties whenever they want and completely dictate the outcome of any game that is close, more times than not.  It's a joke.  

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2

3 hours ago, Larz said:

Yes 

the depressing thing is the main problem is ownership. 

look at the 1998 staff. Parcells, belicheat, Weiss, crennel mangini and groh. 

they all ran for the hills when woody showed up. 

Belichick sure called it right. I wonder how he knew?

Maybe he just didn’t want to work for a non-self-made man. Also smart.

5 hours ago, jgb said:

You just need to know the house rules when evaluating Jets players/coaches around here:

1. Everyone is presumed great when acquired

2. When he doesn’t perform well, point to an extreme outlier to “prove” he is still great. Rich Gannon and Bill Belichick are go-to’s.

3. When he has sustained poor performance, disregard rule #1 and proclaim you can’t evaluate him until after 3 years

4. After he is dumped after years of poor performance, shut down any comment about how bad he was with “stop beating a dead horse,” “he’s not on the team anymore let’s more on,” or (my favorite) “congratulations for stating the obvious.”

5. Go back to step #1 with his replacement.

For step 2 - didn't you forgot to say what happens if the player performs well?

• Haha 1

I’ve been a Jet fan since right around the 1980 season. I’m less than two years away from 50 now. I have a 14 year old son that I have infected with the Jet disease, we go to games and watch all the games together. I honestly feel for him now more than myself. I remember when I was 14 thinking......... the Jets have to win a super bowl soon- because I’ve watched them my entire life and they’ve never been to one. Without getting into the theory of relativity here -your fandom in terms of years on earth and years as a Jet fan are in a word HORRIFIC!!!!! They’re the butt of all jokes everywhere you look( and rightfully so). 
The good news for me is - I hit my tipping point a few years back- not that there was one defining moment or season necessarily.  I just got to the point a few years ago where I now turn off lopsided games- sometimes lately especially this in the first half if necessary- I’ll leave the stadium once I get to the point I know it’s over ( again first half if necessary)- I just cannot tolerate anymore. The good thing is in doing so- it doesn’t ruin my day or even week any longer. The downside- if my some miracle they do ever get to a Super Bowl someday- it won’t mean near as much to me as it would’ve had they done it a decade or two ago. So yeah- they kind of broke me a few years ago. 

9 hours ago, Dunnie said:

Are you as apathetic as I am right now ? I was the most ardent of fans until this year.

Darnold looks good but not great ... Ala pre noodle arm Pennington or early OBrien. In terms of talent ... Not style.

Zero wide receivers

Bell looks like Discount Bell.

Defense looks very good ... But mostly due to a great DC that will most likely move on after this season.

HC ... Looks like an OC over his head.

Help me out here. ... Seriously bummed.

2017 was the year for me.  I used to watch EVERY NFL game that was on, and a lot on the Ticket.

Since 2017 I only watch the Jets.  

I don't care like I used to. I was giving up as I was tired of the blatant ineptitude and then they drafted Sam. I started paying some attention again but not like before. At this point I'm always ready for the bottom to drop out and nothing surprises me except for sustained success. I have a sliver of hope going forward but we'll see. 34 years of fooling myself.

• Sympathy 1

10 hours ago, Dunnie said:

Are you as apathetic as I am right now ? I was the most ardent of fans until this year.

Darnold looks good but not great ... Ala pre noodle arm Pennington or early OBrien. In terms of talent ... Not style.

Zero wide receivers

Defense looks very good ... But mostly due to a great DC that will most likely move on after this season.

I have been a huge Jets fan since 1968.  I will tell you the way it is.

When the Jets suck, you begin to care less.  When they suck more, you care even less.

When the Jets are good, you care more.  When the Jets are very good, you care even more.

That is the way it works.  I never stop being a fan, even when we suck.  I just care less then when they are good.

I hope this makes sense to you.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Alka said:

I have been a huge Jets fan since 1968.  I will tell you the way it is.

When the Jets suck, you begin to care less.  When they suck more, you care even less.

When the Jets are good, you care more.  When the Jets are very good, you care even more.

That is the way it works.  I never stop being a fan, even when we suck.  I just care less then when they are good.

I hope this makes sense to you.

Alka totally agree. Being 61 and a fan for over 50 years Handed down from my Dad being a fan of Namath priorities change as we get older. In my teens through thirties couldn’t wait for Sunday watching the Jets with dear old Dad and being surly if they lost the entire week and elated when they won. Watching MNF waiting for the highlights at halftime from Sunday’s games narrated by Cosell. Nowadays I am still a fan and always will be but apathy has set in The Jets ( and football in general) are just not as important as they were in my youth for a variety of reasons given the state of the team and overall product the NFL has become 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

12 hours ago, JiF said:

My lack of interest has more to do with the NFL being the biggest piece of trash in all of major sports than it does with the Jets sucking.  The Jets sucking is completely out of my control so I dont get upset about it.  The sad part is, I was once all about the NFL. It was by far and away the king of all sports.  Now?  It's trash.  The product, the play, the officiating, the cheating, the scandals, the miserable personalities, the week to week reactionary nonsense.  It's trash.  I have more apathy toward the league than I do the Jets.

Great angle...  i agree and feel social.media has contributed to most of your points.    

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, SummerofSam14 said:

I think the frustrating element is knowing how brutal the schedule is next year. The Jets are at least two years away, and will likely have a new HC in 2021.

I’m worried Sam demands a trade to get away from Gase after next year which will be 5-11 or worse

9 hours ago, Larz said:

Yes 

the depressing thing is the main problem is ownership. 

look at the 1998 staff. Parcells, belicheat, Weiss, crennel mangini and groh. 

they all ran for the hills when woody showed up. 

Belichick and Groh both quit to get away from Woody

13 hours ago, Jolot said:

I’ve definitely been less passionate the last couple of years ...nothing to do with the record, I’m a 48 year old Jets/Mets/Islanders/Knicks fan here so theres not a drop of front runner in me . For me it’s actually more about the decline in the NFL overall, the product on the field is worse than I ever recall..I don’t gamble or play fantasy football, which makes me in the vast minority on this board and that’s fine , but those 2 things are what keep the NFL afloat and we all know it , from the perspective of a guy who is just watching the actual games I’ll say the product is trash right now , the referees basically decide who wins and loses most of the time , fan emotion has been taken out of the game , I used to jump out of my shoes every time we made a big play ...now I sit for 5 seconds and see if the play is going to stand before I celebrate, because it seems there’s a flag after every play ...I could go on all day but my point is , if your not gambling on the games and only watching as a passionate fan , the NFL is the 4th best product of the major sports right now and it’s not close . Sad actually .

Outstanding post and I couldn't agree more.  The NFL is a bland, watered down product these days.  I've said this in the past but, even if the Jets were to win a Superbowl in this era, it wouldn't feel like we won a title in the same sport that it used to be.  Nowadays the NFL feels very Arena Football-ish.  So much as been lost over the years. 

Instant replay has been awful (takes the spontaneous joy out of the sport). 

I understand why they took the big hits out of the game but it's no longer nearly as fun to watch without them. 

The rivalries are watered down (players are pretty friendly with each other nowadays). 

I'm pretty sure the turf is almost all the same these days.  There are no "mud games" anymore.  And say what you want about the "Mud Bowl" but it's part of NFL lore.  Even though we lost and it cost us, that was the price we paid for not getting home field.  I liked that "gamesmanship" was still possible. 

Also, the announcers in the NFL these days are horrible, whereas they used to be spectacular (Summerall, Madden, Charlie Jones, Tom Brookshier, Vin Scully, Marv Albert, Don Criqui, Merlin Olsen, Howard Cosell, etc).

And of course the refs are terrible and so are the rules changes that favor offense.  Nowadays RBs are mostly interchangeable whereas they used to be the #1 pick in the entire draft.

• Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 1

Thanks for asking about the old-timers. I appreciate it. Been a fan since 68/69. That win was the best. I still watch it. Namath was a genius calling his own plays, with a cannon. I was hooked. Still Jets and Mets all the way. Saw my first Mets game in 1963 at the Polo Grounds. It doesn't even bother me that the Jets play in New Jersey now. It's a NY thing. Given how I had to grow up, I had to conquer the city or it was gonna conquer me, and Mets, Jets and Knicks championships were my saving grace. They gave me hope, which goes a long way when as a child you know you're at the bottom of NY society. I still live and die with each Jets and Mets play.  The Knicks and the NBA are unwatchable for me. No defense. No passion. Three point chuck-fest.

I'll never be apathetic about the Jets. I actually think we've turned a corner. Sam is gonna take us to the promised land. Douglas will put a good team around him. Gotta keep Jamal. He's a rare breed. I love Robby Anderson. He's growing and when we re-sign him he will surprise. Gase will also surprise. It takes a steep learning curve to pull out of the nose dive we've been in. It will all come together within three years. When we win it all, it will be one of the most glorious things in NY sports history. Mets and Jets championships within three years, and I'm not delusional. That's my analysis based on what I see and what I've seen.  Again, thanks for asking and thanks for all the old-timer responses. Go Jets.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

15 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Nothing against your gut, but this rebuild is no more massive than any other.  IMO, the only difference for any build/rebuild is if they have a QB. Everything else is just window dressing.  Talent acquisition, getting what the coach wants (or needs if they don't want what they should have), not ******* up contracts.  

Archie Manning disagrees.

18 hours ago, Dunnie said:

Zero wide receivers

Not so despondent as you.

To me, the fact that Darnold looks 'good but not great' with this OL and mediocre at best WR and no running game (see OL) is promising.

Defense is improved, has identified a lot of guys this season that can contribute going forward as a consequence of all the injuries.

HC...who knows?   Crappy OL, no standout WR and no running game make any definitive assessment of his offense quite difficult.

What I've been most impressed with actually is that this team has shown no quit in them, despite the difficult injury circumstances.  They play hard at least even though they do not have the same talent as most NFL teams.  I give the CS credit for that.

This is a team that has been in a chronic rebuild for years with the prior GM having no idea how build a team from the foundation up.  The offense has neglected for years in the draft...I bet that changes this year...or I'll join you as being seriously bummed ;)

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, greenwave81 said:

Not so despondent as you.

To me, the fact that Darnold looks 'good but not great' with this OL and mediocre at best WR and no running game (see OL) is promising.

Defense is improved, has identified a lot of guys this season that can contribute going forward as a consequence of all the injuries.

HC...who knows?   Crappy OL, no standout WR and no running game make any definitive assessment of his offense quite difficult.

What I've been most impressed with actually is that this team has shown no quit in them, despite the difficult injury circumstances.  They play hard at least even though they do not have the same talent as most NFL teams.  I give the CS credit for that.

This is a team that has been in a chronic rebuild for years with the prior GM having no idea how build a team from the foundation up.  The offense has neglected for years in the draft...I bet that changes this year...or I'll join you as being seriously bummed ;)

Other than Darnold (I think everyone can agree the jury’s still out) what successful draft picks have the Jets made on the offensive side of the ball this decade?

OL: Jacob Bender, Vlad Ducasse, Brian Winters, Oday Aboushi, William Campbell, Dakota Dozier, Brandon Shell, Chuma Edoga

RB: Bilal Powell, Elijah McGuire, Trenton Cannon

WR: Stephen Hill, Shaq Evans, Jalen Saunders, Quincy Enunwa, Devin Smith, Ardarius Stewart, Chad Hansen

TE: Jace Amaro, Chris Herndon, Treyvon Wesco

QB: Geno Smith, Bryce Petty, Christian Hackenberg, Sam Darnold

Only Brian Winters, Bilal Powell, Quincy Enunwa played well enough to get 2nd contracts. 

Only first round pick on this list was Darnold

2nd round picks all busts: Vlad Ducasse, Stephen Hill, Geno Smith, Jace Amaro, Devin Smith, Christian Hackenberg (worst pick of all time). 

This is what happens when you hire GMs that have no clue how to build winning teams. Mike Tannenbaum, Mike McCagnan and John Idzik were woefully unqualified to lead organizations on their own. 

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

yes, apathetic is a very good word to describe it.

The Jets are bad and far away from being a real competitor, the owners are awful and until they’re gone I’m afraid we’ll simply never field a consistently competitive team...

But I think the biggest reason is less about the Jets and more about the league in general.

It’s very hard to watch the game anymore with the way refs have taken over.

And wether it’s one sided or not, it certainly feels like the Jets consistently get the short end of the stick.....

Having to wait to cheer after every big play - checking for flags - and finding so often one comes out. it really makes the game so much less enjoyable.

I can tell you, the NFL is no longer “appointment TV” for me anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

24:25:31

Well said and spot on.  

I used to make football and the Jets my focus every weekend.  Had 3 big screens and Direct TV going all Sunday, and a bunch of friends over watching.   

Between the NFL issues of decreasing contact and increasing penalties, and the Jets inability to field a competitive team, I’ve become much less  interested and emotionally involved.  Now I view it as an entertainment option, but if there’s something better to do, I’m fishing, hunting, traveling or whatever.  

The team sucks and the only thing that I watch for now is to see Sam play and grow.   I do think he is our only hope for a turnaround in the next 5 years.

• Sympathy 1

The time between the Cleveland collapse "roughing the passer" and Parcels was worse and I had all but given up but the team made a run, almost became likable until TRex imploded

these last 6 years with the exception of the fitzmagic year had been almost as bad so no harm in stepping back, it's a form of entertainment and you can go back if/when it becomes fun again - the team does not define you it's simply the team you liked/followed when you were a kid - nothing will change that

Darnold brings hope, kid is young and probably should have stayed in school for another year but also think he will be fine, seems to have that inner drive and humility that makes people successful - just needs to stay away from the Jersey shore girls lol 

22 hours ago, Matt39 said:

We’re coming off of two of the worst GM runs in the history of football. The team needed a full on reset, which unfortunately will never happen with the Johnson’s. 

Douglas is going to have to be awesome (don’t get those early vibes) and Darnold is going to have to be a top 3 guy (unlikely) to compensate for poor ownership. Unless Woody has a come to Jesus and throws big bucks at an e.g. Ozzie things will remain the same. Even with Brady seemingly fading, Belichick probably isn’t going anywhere and Buffalo is way ahead of the Jets to unseat them anyways. Beane is the real deal at GM.

Beane has done a terrific job with that roster overall, but he also drafted Josh Allen, so sort of a good news/bad news there. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Beane has done a terrific job with that roster overall, but he also drafted Josh Allen, so sort of a good news/bad news there. 

I got a chance to meet Brandon Beane at a UNCW Basketball game a year ago where he was honored at halftime (he's a UNCW grad, which I've mentioned a few times, lol).  Nice guy.  I congratulated him for all of his success.  He offered condolences to me for being a Jets fan, which was sweet.  

Pretty crazy that he went from a COM Studies major at a school without a football program to one of the 32 most important people in the NFL.  

40+ years since I was a kid-walking away from my psls and the end of the year-wont look back-the only thing worse than the jets performance year in and year out on the field is the folks that defend incompetence year in and year out-defend terrible coaches and gms that have no clue what they are doing and lastly demand patience from other fans and tell others what they should and should not do with tickets that they paid for.

I posted I would sell my psls for .10 on the dollar and nobody was interested but yet folks here love to complain about season ticket holders selling tickets to games when they are not willing to buy their own

62 year old here, fan since '70. Somehow, watching Mike Lucci blowing out Namath's knee in a meaningless preseason game hooked me ...

I suppose apathy is the best term. I just wish that I could have the minimal expectation of being able to watch a competitive game each week was met. I have no expectations of ever rooting for a dynastic team (my other millstone is the Knicks.) 

I feel bad for the few good players that cycle through the team, when I'm sure they'd love to bring a championship here, but that's been undone mostly by coaching, scouting and management mediocrity.

But it's not destiny to be crummy or good - but I'd just like it to change soon, before I am watching games on a big screen TV in a wheelchair in some decrepit nursing home somewhere. And in my nightmares, the nurse changes the channel right as the Jets line up to attempt the 35 yard field goal to win the game as time runs out; I stroke out and that ends it all ...  ;)  

And the Knicks? No - I'll be long dead before they bring home the bacon again. But maybe I'll get to meet Anthony Mason in that court in the sky.

• Sympathy 1

15 hours ago, Gibby said:

I’ve been a Jet fan since right around the 1980 season. I’m less than two years away from 50 now. I have a 14 year old son that I have infected with the Jet disease, we go to games and watch all the games together. I honestly feel for him now more than myself. I remember when I was 14 thinking......... the Jets have to win a super bowl soon- because I’ve watched them my entire life and they’ve never been to one. Without getting into the theory of relativity here -your fandom in terms of years on earth and years as a Jet fan are in a word HORRIFIC!!!!! They’re the butt of all jokes everywhere you look( and rightfully so). 
The good news for me is - I hit my tipping point a few years back- not that there was one defining moment or season necessarily.  I just got to the point a few years ago where I now turn off lopsided games- sometimes lately especially this in the first half if necessary- I’ll leave the stadium once I get to the point I know it’s over ( again first half if necessary)- I just cannot tolerate anymore. The good thing is in doing so- it doesn’t ruin my day or even week any longer. The downside- if my some miracle they do ever get to a Super Bowl someday- it won’t mean near as much to me as it would’ve had they done it a decade or two ago. So yeah- they kind of broke me a few years ago. 

my dad infected me with the jet disease since I could walk-300+ games in person with him-after his passing this year I have not stepped foot in the stadium-as awful as the jets have been some of my best memories are with dad and the stadium-we often joked though as great as our memories were that our lives would have been better had my dad picked the giants over the jets-he was a fan day one with the jets and we had tickets in our family before I was born.

• Upvote 1