A Question for fans of 30yrs or more ...

Dunnie

What has happened this year is an accumulation  of poor, no, horrible decisions  by management and ownership. If management  decided we needed a new HC, they should have let the GM pick him but what this team did was have a lame duck GM pick the HC and then fire him. This has been an on going trend with the Jets since Rex. Put the HC in place before the GM and then force the GM to accept.

We now have a GM that was hand picked by the HC. I would like to know how much experience Adam Gase has at picking GM's and what qualified him to do this. Apparently  if you are able to influence the owner because you are upset that the current  GM is not listening to your input on setting up the draft board, this is all the qualifications  you need for CJ. 

This is also a result on Idzik and Mac's inability to run a draft. Idzik was just plain horrible. He presided over sone loaded draft classes and has nothing to show for it. Mac was did hit on sone players but he made sone of the worst choices with second and third round picks i have ever seen from any team.

Basically, this team has no consistant level of talent. What we have are a few players who are very good and a whole lot of players that should not be starting. 

All the above just makes this team difficult to judge if you want to judge the team based on players lime Darnold. I am sold that Darnold is and deserves to be our FQB.  He has shown enough talent to make this franchise a winner, he is just so inexperinced still in year two. He has played only a little more than 16 games. Thank Todd Bowles he started Darnold on day one and didn't  make him hold a clip board while McKown played. 

As for the rest of the O. We have nothing except Bell and Crowder. A RB and Slot with nothing else isn't  going to get you very far. Anderson would be a 3 or 4 on any other team, Smith wouldn't even be on an active roster. Griffen wouldn't  have played if Herndon didn't get hurt. He played well so far, I will say that. 

Basically there is a lot of mess to unwind here so you just have to accept what the team is and hope JD is the answer right now which to me isn't  a great bet. 

On 12/17/2019 at 6:36 AM, southparkcpa said:

Yes.... I truly believe the JETS now represent exactly who the Johnsons are. Losers.  From 1999 to about 2006 we went on the fumes of Parcells, and as long as Penny was healthy.  But 2011 and after to me is The Johnson era.  You can't suck this long without looking at management and ownership.

Anyone continuing to defend Woody is blind. A guy who lets his "brother" run the team in his absence.  I own a business, there are NO family members I would entrust this business to in my 2-3 year absence.

The older brother knows no matter how poorly the younger brother does, it makes no difference to them.  That’s why he had no problem handing the team off.  The massive tv checks come in rain or shine (mostly all rain), not to mention their team appreciates in value probably close to $2Mill per WEEK.  

These 2 guys couldn’t turn a profit if you gave them a corner deli to run and gave them 1,000 chances.

Just a terrible situation for the sucker fans.  Same as the Mets and the Knicks.

Such a pleasant surprise hearing the Mets to be sold for close to $3Bill.  But then you hear these creeps are still staying on board ANOTHER 5 YEARS.  Just take the f*ckin money and be gone.  Don’t these people know that the majority of the fans of their teams totally despise them?

5 Years, that would be incredible and worth the wait if the Johnsons were to sell.  But it will never happen.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

On 12/17/2019 at 9:42 AM, Dunnie said:

I'm with u ..fantasy football/RedZone ruined this sport as far as I'm concerned.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Have to disagree with you here. If I were in the fantasy football finals this weekend, I would gladly watch red zone instead of routing for the Jets to beat the Steelers and get a worse draft position.

Have to disagree with you here. If I were in the fantasy football finals this weekend, I would gladly watch red zone instead of routing for the Jets to beat the Steelers and get a worse draft position.
You are illustrating my point ... The joy is not coming from the competition between two teams ... It's coming from each individual accomplishment ...diluting the comradary of fans of teams.

• Upvote 1

On 12/17/2019 at 9:27 AM, JTJet said:

Darnold true talent cant be judged until an average NFL roster is around him. 

Jamison Crowder is the real deal in the slot. 

Bell will net us an important 2nd round pick next year. 

We have Gregg William's for 1 more season at minimum. 

Head coach cant be judged until an average NFL roster is around him. 

Dont be bummed. Patriots will most likely get heavily punished within the next 3 weeks. 

Only thing I disagree with is that Bell is going to be traded... He is not being traded... His running will improve when JD fixes this line.

36 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Only thing I disagree with is that Bell is going to be traded... He is not being traded... His running will improve when JD fixes this line.

I hope he isnt traded honestly. I love how loyal he is and how he hasnt dispelled the talk of him being a cancer. 

I just think JD and Gase are on the same page that RB isnt a priority position to them and would rather reallocate resources. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, JTJet said:

I hope he isnt traded honestly. I love how loyal he is and how he has dispelled the talk of him being a cancer. 

I just think JD and Gase are on the same page that RB isnt a priority position to them and would rather reallocate resources. 

On 12/17/2019 at 6:22 AM, Dunnie said:

Are you as apathetic as I am right now ? I was the most ardent of fans until this year.

Darnold looks good but not great ... Ala pre noodle arm Pennington or early OBrien. In terms of talent ... Not style.

Zero wide receivers

Bell looks like Discount Bell.

Defense looks very good ... But mostly due to a great DC that will most likely move on after this season.

HC ... Looks like an OC over his head.

Help me out here. ... Seriously bummed.

Honestly?

This is the worst year i can remember for "not giving a fck" about anything... i really haven't cared much. 

Why?

Cause i have no vested interest in this staff and roster. We (again) blew the coach search with Rhule, drafted some sh*theads that don't move the needle on the field, and of starting 11 on offense and defense -- barely any of them are homegrown Jets.

Just an awful team or hired thugs. 

• Sympathy 1

50+ years for me.  Grew up idolizing Namath.  During this entire time after Super Bowl III, I've only felt we legitimately could win a championship three times.  1) the loss to the Chiefs the year after the Super Bowl when they went on to demolish the Vikings, 2) the Mud Bowl and 3) 1998 Vinny. The two Rex games I just didn't think we could win.  I don't think apathy is a new thing.  It's always been there with all teams not just the Jets. They go thru up and down cycles and we as fans go right with them.  What's making today so difficult is that the current down cycle has lasted way too long and we play in the same division with a team that literally hasn't lost or gone thru a rebuild in nearly 20 years.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, peekskill68 said:

50+ years for me.  Grew up idolizing Namath.  During this entire time after Super Bowl III, I've only felt we legitimately could win a championship three times.  1) the loss to the Chiefs the year after the Super Bowl when they went on to demolish the Vikings, 2) the Mud Bowl and 3) 1998 Vinny. The two Rex games I just didn't think we could win.  I don't think apathy is a new thing.  It's always been there with all teams not just the Jets. They go thru up and down cycles and we as fans go right with them.  What's making today so difficult is that the current down cycle has lasted way too long and we play in the same division with a team that literally hasn't lost or gone thru a rebuild in nearly 20 years.

The Bengals, Bills, Browns, Cardinals, Chargers, Falcons, Jaguars, Lions, Panthers, Texans, Titans and Vikings have not won a Super Bowl in their history. The Browns, Jaguars, Lions and Texans have never reached the Super Bowl. The first 35 years of the Steelers was frustrating for fans just 6 winning seasons.. But yes the Jet fans have the worst luck and the worst team in NFL history..:curse:

• Sympathy 1

7 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

We now have a GM that was hand picked by the HC. I would like to know how much experience Adam Gase has at picking GM's and what qualified him to do this. Apparently  if you are able to influence the owner because you are upset that the current  GM is not listening to your input on setting up the draft board, this is all the qualifications  you need for CJ. 

This is also a result on Idzik and Mac's inability to run a draft. Idzik was just plain horrible. He presided over sone loaded draft classes and has nothing to show for it. Mac was did hit on sone players but he made sone of the worst choices with second and third round picks i have ever seen from any team.

Re: this, while I agree the process was not 'usual', at least the two had worked together before, unlike the Macc/Bowles and Rex/Idzik tandems, and both agreed to their jobs.  If Douglas hated Gase, I am certain he would have said 'no thanks'.  This, plus the fact that Douglas negotiated for himself a 6 yr deal, gives the leverage to Douglas to outlast/replace Gase if need be...and if his own job depends on it, I have faith he will.

Now, we have no idea as to how successful Douglas will be at drafting/siging FA's/assembling a team, but regardless whatever process was involved in getting him here, ON PAPER, and ON CREDENTIALS/EXPERIENCE he is a world-class hire when compared to the likes of the career scout Macc and the number cruncher Idzik.  We have no options other than to give the guy a chance which he deserves BTW.

Would people feel different if we had fired Macc with Bowles and ended up with Douglas and then he had hired Gase?

Just some thoughts.

1 hour ago, greenwave81 said:

Re: this, while I agree the process was not 'usual', at least the two had worked together before, unlike the Macc/Bowles and Rex/Idzik tandems, and both agreed to their jobs.  If Douglas hated Gase, I am certain he would have said 'no thanks'.  This, plus the fact that Douglas negotiated for himself a 6 yr deal, gives the leverage to Douglas to outlast/replace Gase if need be...and if his own job depends on it, I have faith he will.

Now, we have no idea as to how successful Douglas will be at drafting/siging FA's/assembling a team, but regardless whatever process was involved in getting him here, ON PAPER, and ON CREDENTIALS/EXPERIENCE he is a world-class hire when compared to the likes of the career scout Macc and the number cruncher Idzik.  We have no options other than to give the guy a chance which he deserves BTW.

Would people feel different if we had fired Macc with Bowles and ended up with Douglas and then he had hired Gase?

Just some thoughts.

You have set an extraordinarily low bar for JD by making Mac and Idzic the standard which he is being judged. 

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, greenwave81 said:

they ain't who he is being judged against by at this point, but rather comparing his hire to theirs.  Much better pedigree...will it matter? I hope

"Now, we have no idea as to how successful Douglas will be at drafting/siging FA's/assembling a team, but regardless whatever process was involved in getting him here, ON PAPER, and ON CREDENTIALS/EXPERIENCE he is a world-class hire when compared to the likes of the career scout Macc and the number cruncher Idzik."

You were saying?

On 12/17/2019 at 9:22 AM, Dunnie said:

Are you as apathetic as I am right now ? I was the most ardent of fans until this year.

Darnold looks good but not great ... Ala pre noodle arm Pennington or early OBrien. In terms of talent ... Not style.

Zero wide receivers

Bell looks like Discount Bell.

Defense looks very good ... But mostly due to a great DC that will most likely move on after this season.

HC ... Looks like an OC over his head.

Help me out here. ... Seriously bummed.

I agree on everything but Darnold. In my eyes, he’s better than any young QB the jets have had other than Namath. His arm talent and  In the pocket mobility are elite

• Sympathy 1

19 hours ago, JTJet said:

I hope he isnt traded honestly. I love how loyal he is and how he hasnt dispelled the talk of him being a cancer. 

It's funny because I didn't like the signing at all at the time.  I thought we should've gone for OL because "OL makes the RB, not vice-versa".  And so far this season, Bell hasn't been impressive. 

However, I have to admit that his positive attitude won me over.  I fully expected Bell (who grew up a Jet fan) to criticize the Jets (maybe even subtly) and say "they're not the Steelers".   But he's remained positive and told fans that the players are trying their hardest to get things turned around.  That's exactly the type of leadership we're going to need to make that happen. 

Unfortunately, our HC doesn't seem to care much about him but that's another story.  

My interest in the Jets is pretty much at an all time low. Some of that is just getting older and having other priorities but the last 8 or 9 years have just been a groundhogs day of awful. The coaching is terrible. The general talent level is terrible. The QB hasnt shown anything outstanding yet. About the only positive is that I hear nothing but good things about JD from people outside the team. But this has basically been a doormat of a franchise since 2012 and one of the worst in the NFL during that time 

I've been a fan since Joe Willie was a rookie.  It's painful to see the team and the organization in such disarray.  I'm not very optimistic about the future because I think the ownership is atrocious and incapable of making the correct decisions.  Hopefully, I am wrong.  I would love to see the Jets play exciting, competitive football for a change.  This will be the fourth consecutive losing season and double digit losses at that.  Very disheartening.  They simply have to start winning more games than they lose.  It's as simple as that.  Everything else is BS.  I'm not going crazy about the draft or who they pick up in FA.  I'm not going to get excited about the hype pumped out by the beat writers in the summer or any of the BS on the TV and radio talk shows.  As Parcells said, you are what your record is--that's all that matters.  Talk to me next season.  I'm not holding my breath.

On 12/17/2019 at 11:33 AM, Savage69 said:

+1 JiF summed it up pretty well.. I miss the way the NFL played in the 50's,60's and most of the 70's. It wasn't the pansy type rules of today and the ref's stayed pretty much out of it. My first game I saw live was the Titan's in 1960 at the Polo grounds they beat the Bills 27-3 and Maynard had 4 catches for 116 yds.. I was 16..LOL

I go back to the Titans as well. Joe Willie's Jets are still my favorite era, (as a Jets, Mets, Knicks fan 1969 was the absolute peak!) But, I have plenty of fond Jets memories since and expect more to come. Sam and Jamal are easy kids to root for and I don't think we're as far away as some here do.

Lets beat Pittsburg and Buffalo and build from there!

• Upvote 1