AJ Green

37 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

That’s the problem with our philosophy u have to develop rookie WRs at some point this franchise keeps thinking it can sign free agents no one else wants and find the next superstar

I’m not saying not to draft one...  but to go into 2020 with our only hope for improved weapons being a rookie is a bad idea.

The whole AJ Green situation in Cincinnati is very fishy. He's been week-to-week since Week 3. His injury is either far worse than thought (i.e. Mosley) or he just is making a business decision to basically take a year off and heal.  If it is really the later, I'd be interested at the right price but Cincy will keep him an indentured servant out of spite.  

Green would definitely be a big risk.  You would think with him not playing this
year he should be healthy in 2020.  But he's seen a lot of mileage in his career.
I wouldn't be shocked if he could give us a 2015 Brandon Marshall type of year
then quickly fall off a cliff

On 12/17/2019 at 2:34 PM, Sperm Edwards said:

Not while he's got an injury guarantee on his contract.

However I'd agree that's more a cap situation than a real availability scenario. Even if we have to keep him due to a guarantee, and even if he's finally deemed healthy after his guarantee has kicked in, he can't be relied upon to suit up all season long. They'd be better off cutting him once he's healthy just to avoid the following year's guarantee also getting guaranteed. 

What a mess. 

Remember how $20MM in guarantees wasn't a real guarantee and don't worry the way Big Macc structured it he can be cut after just 1 year? Yeah, well if this most recent neck injury is a career-ending one, it's going to be $20MM for part of 1 game this year. $9MM signing bonus while he was on IR in December 2018, plus $1MM officially categorized as salary for 2019, plus $6MM injury-guaranteed salary in 2020, plus another $4MM injury-guaranteed salary in 2021. 

If he kinda-retires due to injury I don't know the process. He may have to hold off on the announcement, and be retired in practice but not in name, unless the team just agrees to pay it all up front as an injury settlement that gets refunded if he gets medically cleared to play elsewhere between now and the first week of March, 2021. @jason423 would have to chime in on that before I know if that's totally right, but I don't need him to tell me what a stupid contract that was for such an injury-prone player. 

That is how it would work. The Jets would basically carry him on the roster for all of 2020 and then release him at some point in 2021. Its exactly why Kam Chancellor stuck around on the Seahawks long after he was done, Alex Smith is still on the Redskins, etc...And yep a really bad deal.

• Upvote 1

On 12/18/2019 at 11:11 AM, KRL said:

Green would definitely be a big risk.  You would think with him not playing this
year he should be healthy in 2020.  But he's seen a lot of mileage in his career.
I wouldn't be shocked if he could give us a 2015 Brandon Marshall type of year
then quickly fall off a cliff

Green has a bunch of chronic foot and ankle injuries the most concerning is turf toe which ended Deion Sanders’ career

This is why podiatry is the crappiest field of medicine to go into it’s hard to fix feet when they are constantly being slammed into the ground when a person runs